Sunday, September 10, 2017

Hurricane Irma Update

by Meghann on September 10, 2017

Hi Friends! First of all, thank you for all of the emails and messages sending your support and concerns. I would have updated here sooner, but I’ve been having trouble accessing the site’s login page. If you’re seeing this message, that means I finally got in – woo hoo! – let’s hope it stays that way.

My family and I have been monitoring Hurricane Irma’s track all week. We watched as the track wavered between hitting the west coast, the east coast, going straight up the middle, and back to Florida’s west coast. If there’s anything I’ve learned in my 32 years of living in Florida, it’s never trust a hurricane – they have a mind of their own. We spent the week taking all of the necessary precautions in preparation for the storm. As they say – prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We stocked our pantry, cleared out our yard, filled buckets with water, etc. Our original plan was to stay in Tampa and ride it out. Our home is pretty far from the coast and we’re not in a flood zone, so we felt safe in that decision.

And then Friday happened…

Irma’s track began to inch closer and closer to Tampa, until it got to the point where I could literally zoom in and see the nice line head directly over my house. Ugh. I watched as more and more friends made the decision to evacuate and I began to question our own decision to stay put. Derek and I talked it through Saturday morning and decided that if it was just the two of us, we would have no problem staying put, but we had to think of Annalynn. It was about to turn loud, rough, and scary – I can’t imagine how our sweet and innocent 2 year old was going to react to it. We ultimately decided that it was in the best interest of our family if we packed up and headed east toward my parents’ house. We agreed that it was a move that would put our minds at ease more than anything else. It is NEVER easy to evacuate one’s home and even with the track still showing Tampa taking somewhat of a direct hit, I question whether we made the right move. Tampa is our home and I feel like I’ve abandoned it, but family is everything and my #1 goal above anything is keeping my family safe.

Once the decision was made we had about an hour window to finish prepping our house and pack our car up. We closed all of the doors and put towels in the cracks underneath. My neighbors are staying put and are texting updates on what’s happening. We’re also monitoring our security cameras from our phones. We grabbed only what was important (Maddie is with us – don’t worry!) and left the rest. It’s just stuff, worst case scenario it can all be replaced.

The roads were thankfully empty and we made it to my parents’ house in no time. We’re still under a hurricane warning here, but it’s not expected to be as rough. We’re prepared with food, water, and back-up power sources.  We also have a ton of family supporting us.

Now the fun begins of waiting the storm out. We already have a bit of cabin fever, as Annalynn continues to chase the dogs in circles around the house. I’ll be posting as many updates as I can on my Instagram account and Insta-Stories. I’ll update here as soon as it’s over. Don’t worry about us – we’re safe and sound here. Please focus your thoughts and prayers on my friends who are still on the west coast – they’re the ones that need it.

{ Comments on this entry are closed }