A Weighty Issue

by Meghann on January 26, 2017

Alright. Time for some post-marathon real talk.

The truth? I hated the way I looked in all of my Walt Disney World Marathon photos.

Not exactly a shocker since I’d say 90% of the population usually hates the way they look in running photos, but I was feeling down on my body and the way it looked well before the photos were uploaded.

I gained fifty pounds while pregnant. While I was initially very discouraged with this number, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t have to work terribly hard to lose it. I lost the first 30 lbs the week after birth and then the rest slowly came off without much effort. I was one of the lucky few who actually lost weight while breastfeeding and, I hate to say it, but I owe a lot of that weight loss to nursing. I was ravenous all the time, made some not-so-great food choices, and pretty much gave up on exercising. Yet I somehow ended up fitting back into all my old clothes and even weighed less than I did before pregnancy. Thanks, breastfeeding! (Please note, results not typical)

Right after Annalynn turned one, she scaled back on how much she was nursing and I stopped pumping. Then there were the holidays, my unlimited cookie consumption, and the continued terrible food choices that kind of all ran together. I was also training for a marathon, but I wasn’t running enough to make up for what I was eating. My clothes grew tighter, my weight creeped up, and I started doing that thing where I crop my lower half out of photos.

Over the years I’ve written so many posts on my weight gains and losses that I almost feel like this has become routine. I’m human and my weight fluctuates just like everyone else. I’m not happy with my weight now, but I know it doesn’t have to stay this way. My goal has always been to realize it’s happening before it gets too far and do something about it. Not by extreme dieting or restrictive eating, but being more mindful of my routine and what I’m consuming.

So here we go. My body is soft, my pants are tight, and I need to take back control. I need to reign in my eating, shift my focus back to strength training, and get moving. Sounds easy, right? Ha! Easy in theory, not so much in practice, but it’s a start.

I should also note that I don’t really “hate” my body. Oh, don’t get me wrong, there are times when I’m really, really pissed off at it, but for the most part my body has done some pretty incredible things and for that I’m thankful. It allowed me to complete 26.2 miles earlier this month, it nourished my beautiful, amazing daughter, and my butt does look pretty good in boy shorts. As much love as I have for it (and, trust me, my love for my body knows no bounds), it’s also okay to sometimes disagree with certain aspects of it and want to tweak it with a few lifestyle changes.

Time to get started!

1 Linda @ the Fitty January 26, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for being honest with this update–you’re allowed to feel everything you feel right now and no one has the right to tell you otherwise. I’m glad you’re sharing that you want to change! As they say—what you dislike, you have to change it.

What are some of the lifestyle plans you have that’ll set you up towards your weight loss goals?
Linda @ the Fitty recently posted..You Matter In This World.

2 Allison January 26, 2017 at 7:54 pm

You know, this exact scenario has happened to me 3 times. Every baby, I nurse and the weight magically falls off without much effort (although I do always excercise consistently) or thought to what I eat. 3 babies, 3 times I weighed 10 lb less than my pre-pregnancy weight after nursing for awhile. Then every time, after I stop nursing, ever so slowly those 10 lb will start to creep back up and I have to check my diet in order to keep the weight off.

I would be very interested to see more food posts from you regarding any changes you make to your diet or a “what I ate in a day” type post. I enjoyed those when you were blogging full time back in the day.

3 Katie @ Live Half Full January 26, 2017 at 10:52 pm

I feel you on this! My son is 15 months and I’m still working on feeling 100%. I’m about 5 lbs above my pre-baby weight and slowly starting to feel like myself again. Weight training really helps!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..The Importance of Self-Care for Men

4 Savannah January 27, 2017 at 9:47 am

Long time reader but seldom commentor here. Just wanted to say that I appreciate your honestly and your approach with the same struggles we all have.

5 Meagan @ My Life as Mrs January 27, 2017 at 10:56 am

The holidays are rough on everyone and winter isn’t the most exercise inspiring season… that being said, yay for taking ownership and consciously taking over your health. We’re all in this together! (Cue High School Musical dancing)
Meagan @ My Life as Mrs recently posted..Race Dreaming for 2017

6 Amber January 27, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I think making a public commitment is super helpful. I’m dieting right now because my pants didn’t fit me after the holidays lol. Time to get healthy 🙂
Amber recently posted..January Whole30(+5): Days 11 – 17

7 Shannah January 27, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Love the honesty! I’m one of those women that hold on to extra lbs while nursing apparently. I was hoping it would all fall off when I weaned my daughter, but it’s still a work in progress!!

8 Katie January 28, 2017 at 8:43 am

love your honesty in this post!! Congrats to you for running a marathon post-body!! That’s inspiring!

I had a tough time getting my weight after my second baby, the first time it just “fell off” the first time.. not so much the second time around! I did though introduce Carb cycling into my life (Ashley Wiseman has an amazing program) & that was very eye opening + helpful in case you’re interested! Plus the workouts can be done from home!!

Happy Saturday!

9 Kristi January 28, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Such an important post!

The weight just fell off after my first baby, and it has been much more difficult with my second.

I’ll be interested to hear any tips you have to share!
Kristi recently posted..Baby James: 11 Months

10 Cely January 29, 2017 at 2:23 am

As someone above said you are entitled to your feelings and kuddo to you to take action but I thought that you looked great on all of your pictures … Just my opinion

11 Amy January 29, 2017 at 9:12 am

Have you thought about getting back on the bike? I’m working on shaking these last 10lbs after having my kids and I’m halfway there only because of my bike-I can’t run anymore due to knee problems. I just signed up for TrainerRoad (I have my bike on a trainer in the basement) and am really enjoying it.

12 Jessica January 29, 2017 at 8:18 pm

I feel you on this topic. I lost all the weight I gained the minute I gave birth to my second. Not a typical experience, but I was sick most of my pregnancy and gained only 20 pounds. Breastfeeding helped me stay at a good weight, but I too, made some bad food choices in the name of helping my supply and the minute I stopped breastfeeding the pounds started to pack on. I have been trying to make healthier choices, but it has been tough. Hopefully, what I am doing now will really help be get to a healthy me again. Looking forward to see what you do. 🙂 PS – I also thought you look great in your pics!

13 Kristina January 29, 2017 at 10:09 pm

I think you look great in your pics, but don’t beat yourself up! It was freaking cold and you were wearing 100 layers, lol 😀
Kristina recently posted..RECAP: Celebration Marathon Weekend

14 Katie D. January 30, 2017 at 9:05 am

I just lost 30lbs with weight watchers! I didn’t count points, but used them as a tool and used the weekly weigh-ins and team support as motivation. I’m now on my 2nd round and am focusing on fitness this 12 weeks and maintenance.

15 Mrs B January 30, 2017 at 9:44 am

Us women are so hard on ourselves and I can’t figure out why! I think it is because we try to be super woman. I am 22 weeks pregnant and so hard on myself sometimes for looking “thick”… I have only gained 3 lbs… I chuckle as I write this. But instead of focusing on “YAY! Growing healthy human!”, I sometimes think… “Wow. Your butt is looking a little bigger”. (face palm)

Same with looking a pics from the marathon. You look at the “bad pictures” and almost forget about how you just rocked running a marathon post baby! I think you look great! I think it is something we all sometimes struggle with!

16 Taryn January 30, 2017 at 10:34 am

This seems to be such a common thing, but yet a lot of women don’t talk about it for some reason. I experienced this exact thing with both of my children. Weight “melted off” during breastfeeding, then seemed to come back on afterwards. Right around my daughter’s 3rd birthday I completed changed my diet and started practicing intermittent fasting – and I am finally at a place where my pants are fitting and I no longer am experiencing that stomach bloat throughout the day. Here is my post on diet after pregnancy http://www.healthyfamilydefined.com/journey-pregnancy-breastfeeding-beyond/

And here is my post on intermittent fasting http://www.healthyfamilydefined.com/how-intermittent-fasting-has-changed-how-we-eat/.

Thank you so much for talking about such a difficult topic! I am beyond amazed at your ability to complete a marathon so soon after having a baby. It’s quite a time commitment, and I really admire your drive to cross that finish line 🙂

17 Kathryn January 30, 2017 at 3:40 pm

You should look into RP Strength! It’s a great nutrition program with knowledgeable coaches and the eating plans are doable. I love it!

18 Kim January 31, 2017 at 4:46 pm

You look great to me.

19 Nicole Haber January 31, 2017 at 5:58 pm

i haven’t had a baby, but i felt the same way when i looked at photos from the brooklyn half. i realized all of those cookies at the work conference table were really adding up. so this is just to say, i get it, and personally, im working on it too 🙂

20 Morenna February 5, 2017 at 6:46 am

i’ve been having similar thoughts regarding my shape and race photos. While I love that my body works very well to get me through half marathons a couple times a year, my mental picture and the actual photographs don’t match. Maybe I’m odd, but my mental picture is a lot more fit and trim than the reality!

My fitness path is complicated by international travel about 1/3 of the time to locations where exercise facilities and access to fresh fruits/veggies are limited or missing. Slowly over the past year my clothes have gotten tighter and my fitness level has declined. I’m now re-thinking my daily routines and priorities to better address my goals. I look forward to seeing your future posts!