#WDWMarathonTraining: Week 5

by Meghann on September 27, 2016

Made it to Week 5!

• Distance: 3 miles
  • Time: 35:21
  • Pace: 11:47

Was definitely dragging here. Perhaps I need to take a cue from the high schoolers I see waiting for a bus at 5:30 every morning during my run. I bow down to them and their ability to be awake and fully functional at that time. I’m pretty sure when I was that age I had no idea that 5:30 even existed. What school do these kids attend? What time does it start? When did kids start waiting for buses an hour before the sun rises?!

• Distance: 3 miles
  • Time: 34:02
  • Pace: 11:21

Yep, totally missed the planned 4-mile distance here. I hate to say it, but I’m going to have to wake up about 15 minutes earlier if I’m going to squeeze that in. This is when I miss my speed and former ability to run 4 miles under 40 minutes. Gah.

• Distance: 3 mi
  • Time: 33:17
  • Pace: 11:06

Annalynn was up at 5:00am so I missed my chance to run outside. I’m really thankful to have an office gym to fall back on. I can’t say I’m a fan of the treadmill, but it really does make my life easier knowing it’s there if/when I need it.

• Distance: 5.25 mi
  • Time: 1:00:35
  • Pace: 11:32 min/mi

Woo hoo – a new post-baby distance record! I was up early and managed to get all my miles in before Annalynn woke up. Unfortunately I chose one of my old routes that is currently under heavy construction. It was still dark and definitely not safe to be navigating the beat-up sidewalks without any light. I had to slow my pace to make sure I didn’t trip and fall. The good news is, I felt really good out there. It was hard, but definitely not impossible. I know the miles are only going to go up from here and I’m ready for them.

(when it’s too early for a jumping photo)

My pace is still nowhere near where I want it to be, but it is coming down! Speedwork starts this week. Time to get to work!

1 Ash Diamond September 27, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Great job!!! You’re doing a great job and sticking with the plan! Are you doing any strength training, yoga etc on the non-running days?
Ash Diamond recently posted..Running Forward

2 Noelle September 28, 2016 at 7:24 am

Hello there! I have been following this weekly progress and I am loving it! I have been finding it so motivating as I am currently training for the Wine and Dine Half coming up in November. It’s so awesome to mentally know there’s someone else out here doing what I’m doing, hitting the same struggles I’m hitting and feeling great about every mile. Keep up the good work, mama! I’m doing weekly progress updates over on my blog starting this week. Would love for you to check it out!
Noelle recently posted..Disney’s Wine and Dine Half Marathon

3 Laura September 28, 2016 at 8:41 am

It’s crazy how early some kids get up to go to school! They just switched the start times for the high school and elementary school kids around here so the high school students aren’t getting up so crazy early.
Laura recently posted..Getting Pregnant: Timing and Trying

4 Clara September 28, 2016 at 9:04 am

I love reading about your post-baby marathon training! You’re killing it! 🙂

5 Lauren September 28, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Awesome job!!! Keep it up 🙂

I’m getting a little motivated. My son is 3 and I have yet to follow a plan through. I ran halfs in 2012 and it seems so long ago. I definitely need access to a treadmill for those times getting outside isn’t possible.

6 Ashley September 28, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Awesome job!!

7 B September 28, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Wow! I admire you so much for getting your runs in AND working full time AND caring for a baby. I struggle to get the motivation to exercise because I’m constantly tired, I have a 13 month old. Just curious, what time do you go to bed to make these runs happen?

8 Meghann September 28, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I’m in bed (or asleep on the couch) by 9pm. I’ve never been a night owl and can barely stay awake until then.

9 Linda @ the fitty September 29, 2016 at 8:26 am

How long into each run do you really feel the endorphins kick in? For me it’s like 30 minutes!
Linda @ the fitty recently posted..I’ve Been So Off the Radar Recently.