#WDWMarathon Training: Week 1

by Meghann on August 29, 2016

Hey, BIG NEWS – I survived Week 1!

Even better, I didn’t miss any runs. I know it doesn’t look like much on paper, but I fought for every single one of those miles – and early-morning wake-ups! – this week.

Walt Disney World Marathon Week 1

I’ll start reporting run stats next week, but I averaged just under 12 min/mi in my first week of training. My goal is to get that under 10, so I’ve got quite a bit of work ahead of me. Right now I’m focusing on building back endurance, and then speedwork will start in a few weeks.

My biggest adjustments have been learning to be an early morning riser again and gathering the motivation to get out the door. I’m still in awe of my former self and my dedication to get up that early every. single. day. I wonder if that ability to hop right out of at 5:00am will ever return?!

I’m also realizing that Saturdays are a bit tougher since Annalynn really controls my schedule that day. A friend had invited me to join her for a 6:00 am group run across town, but since I spent Friday night at happy hour with the girls (my first since Annalynn was born!), I felt guilty leaving Derek on solo parent duty for back-to-back bedtime and morning wake-up. I declined, but it ended up being a non-issue when Annalynn slept until 7:30! (which is not the norm, by the way) Turns out I could have met them for the early morning run and been home before Annalynn woke up. However, you know how kids are, if I had gone she would have been up at 6:30am ready to go.  I definitely made the right decision.

So I waited until Annalynn was up and we didn’t end up on the trail until 9. Sounds great in theory (yay – sleep!), but it was HOT. It’s one of my favorite local trails because of all the shade coverage, but even the shade has its limitation. The heat and humidity were killer, and there were a few times I had to stop to borrow one of the multiple fans attached to Annalynn’s stroller to cool off.

Thanks to the fans and shade, little miss was cool as a cucumber. She didn’t even break into a sweat!

14125594_10108077427432523_6885365423253041439_o

I have the cutest running partner, right?

The 9:00am start time isn’t terrible with the shorter distances, but I’m going to need to make some changes when my runs start getting longer. While the rest of the country starts to cool down over the next month, I can pretty much guarantee I’ll be complaining about heat and humidity up until race week. Since Annalynn is still breastfeeding (with no immediate plans to stop), I’ll need to figure out a system that works best for us. Unfortunately I think that either means my Saturday long runs are going to be SUPER early or we’ll change our morning nursing routine.

On another note (since I’ve gotten a few questions on this), breastfeeding has not had an impact on my running (or vice versa). Since Annalynn is almost 11 months old, my boobs don’t feel nearly as “full” as they once did, so going straight from 8 hrs of sleeping (without nursing) to running isn’t an issue. I haven’t had to pump before a run (yet) and have remained perfectly comfortable until Annalynn is up and ready to nurse. I doubt this would have been the case a few months ago, but it’s really a non-issue this far into our nursing journey. I have seen a drop in supply recently, but I think that’s more attributable to other factors (back-to-back traveling, starting my period, dropping feedings, etc.) than this training plan.

However, I should note that the “girls” are still a couple of sizes larger than they once were, which means I still need a lot of extra support in that department. I plan to discuss all of that in an upcoming sports bra post, so stay tuned!

1 week down, 19 more to go!

1 Jess August 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I definitely noticed my supply tapering off as my daughter increased more and more solid foods! I stopped pumping at a year and we nurse before and after work.

2 Jess August 30, 2016 at 5:54 am

Woohoo! I’m so excited to read your journey back to marathon running!

3 Robyn August 30, 2016 at 7:43 am

Congrats on week 1! I feel like I’m right there with you. While I’m not marathon training, my son turned one recently and I am FINALLY motivated to workout regularly again in an attempt to get myself back into shape- I gained a lot of weight during a rough pregnancy and then nursing really challenged me with working out. We’re still nursing morning and bedtime and it really was until recently that I felt okay working out before nursing or pumping- and noone wants to have to wake up extra early to pump before a run! I keep telling myself that little by little I will get back to where I was, but it won’t be quick.

4 Laura August 30, 2016 at 8:34 am

Great work! While training for a HIM this spring, I did my runs during the week after work with my daughter in tow. It worked really well, might be something for you to try! I do get home earlier than you do though. I would do up to 8 miles with her in the stroller and when I needed to do a little longer I would drop her off at home with her dad and then do a few solo miles.
Laura recently posted..Getting Pregnant: Timing and Trying

5 Meghann August 30, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I wish I could make it work after work, unfortunately I get home way too late to run with Annalynn. We don’t walk in the door until 6:30 and she’s usually in bed less than an hour later.

6 Lacey August 31, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Just wondering…why can’t you run without Annalynn? Does running with the stroller/babe contribute more to your endurance?

7 Meghann September 1, 2016 at 10:00 am

I run without her before work, but the miles are short and I’m able to get back home before she wakes up. I’ve tried running in the evenings after she goes to bed, but the most I was ever able to do was 2 miles because I lack the motivation to run so late in the evening. Saturdays are my only concern at this point since that’s when all of my longer miles are going to come into play. Also, I really do love running with her on saturday mornings and it’s generally the only time I have a chance.

8 Madeline August 30, 2016 at 10:18 am

I was still nursing when I trained for and ran my first pp marathon and I just woke up super early, pumped, and USUALLY made it back before my daughter woke up. If I didn’t, my husband had that pumped bottle in the fridge ready to go. Once she was a little older and on solids, he could usually just feed her food and tide her over until I got back and it wasn’t a big deal at ALL. I know breaking out the pump when you don’t have to sucks, but it was worth it to get the run done while everyone was sleeping (and as the bonus, the morning pump was always my biggest of the day, so that helped me with daycare bottles)! I always pumped first thing before my morning week day runs too and she was always able to nurse when she woke up when I got home.

9 Elizabeth August 30, 2016 at 10:35 am

I would love to run outside again, but I am scared to run in the early mornings. My d neighborhood isn’t too bad. Any tips for early am runs?

PS Glad to see you running again and glad to see your post your times. I was getting discouraged reading other blogs where new moms were back to running fast miles right after being released by the doctor.

10 Kelli @ Hungry Hobby August 31, 2016 at 8:03 am

Congrats! I feel like sometimes it’s hardest just to get started! You will totally get back under 10 it will just take time!
Kelli @ Hungry Hobby recently posted..20 Minute Spicy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

11 Linda @ the fitty September 1, 2016 at 4:57 am

You’ve done it before and you can do it again. You’ll be great!
Linda @ the fitty recently posted..Happiness + Weight Loss Habits!

12 MJ September 1, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I’d love a post someday about your post-baby fitness. I also gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy, and had horrible diastasic recti, so getting back into shape has been such a struggle, as well as adjusting to my post-baby body and shape. nothing fits right! I guess I’m not one of those lucky moms who can just drop all the weight through breastfeeding, because my body seems to be holding on to about 15 or 20 pounds no matter what I do. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but would’ve to hear about what you’re doing right!

13 Jeanette September 8, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I ran the first Disney half marathon in 2004 and loved it!
Jeanette recently posted..3 Safety Tips for Trail Runners