#WDWMarathon Training: Here We Go

by Meghann on August 24, 2016

Alright. It’s go time.

After registering for the Walt Disney World Marathon months ago, building some excitement with a little light reading, and losing a bit of focus while traveling; the time is finally here. Marathon training starts this week and I’m diving in head first.

Race goals:

• Finish. Obviously.
  • Not feel like death at finish line.
  • Possibly finish under 4:30. <- reaching for the stars here!

My original plan was to slowly build a base and then dive head first into a training plan in September, however, I’ve since come to the realization that I need to have some sort of training plan to motivate me to get my butt out the door. I quickly drafted the 20-week marathon training plan below on Friday and had my first official training run on Saturday.20-Week Walt Disney World Marathon Training Plan

It’s a pretty basic 20-week training plan that will allow me to slowly build up my mileage while sticking to 4-runs a week. It’s also a fluid plan, meaning it will probably morph and change as I get back to the groove of things. Fingers crossed that happens. This plan was developed based off of my own personal experience and individual race goals. It’s not a plan I would recommend for everyone.

Starting from scratch

I feel like I’m a newbie all over again. Despite some casual evening and weekend runs, I’m nowhere near the running shape I once was. Any run I have done in the last 10 months has been sporadic and very low key. I was running simply to run, no other agenda attached.

On Saturday I dusted off my Garmin and actually paid attention to it for the first time in well over a year. The results were humbling. I stuck to a 2 min run/1 min walk because that’s simply all I could handle. I felt run down, out of shape, and out of my element. My pace was 2+ minutes from where I want it to be and well over my glory days.

Garmin Run

That was my Day 1. We all have to start somewhere and I’m starting at Day 1. I have a long way to go, but I’m up for the challenge and even more motivated to get there. I can’t expect to take a long, extended break and end up right where I left off. Unfortunately that’s not how life works and I’m okay with.

I have to say, it was hell getting through those 3 miles, but I was so proud once they were done. Even better, I managed to wake up and do it all over again on Monday and Wednesday morning this week.  I can’t believe I used to wake up at 5:00am EVERY morning to work out.  What kind of crazy person was I?! It was BRUTAL getting up that first day, but I did it. I got up, put my shoes on, and got my butt out the door. It was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Early Morning Run

I plan to stick with a run/walk for now. I ran my last marathon (during IRONMAN Florida) using a 1:30 run/ :30 walk and finished in 4:30. There’s nothing wrong with run/walk and, quite frankly, it works. My eventual goal is to stretch out the running and do less walking, but for now I’m happy with 2min/ 1min.

Looking ahead, the long runs scare the hell out of me. Am I really going to run that far? How much is that going to hurt? I know I can do it, but boy it’s going to take some time until I get there. One day at a time. One day at a time.

To keep myself accountable, I plan to do weekly updates on the blog, so stay tuned!

1 Linda @ the Fitty August 24, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I like that you take time to rest every other day! Do you do any fartlets?
Linda @ the Fitty recently posted..Zucchini Noodle Pesto

2 Blonde Texan August 24, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Do you feel like you have more energy from starting to work out? I went a week without working out and started feeling so tired at the end of the work day. I have been working out again this week and don’t feel like I am about to fall asleep at my desk.

I feel the most energized when I run during my lunch hour at our office! BTW, great job on getting an awesome start!

3 Lindsay Edwards August 24, 2016 at 4:52 pm

I’m starting WDW Marathon on Monday! 🙂 So excited. This will be my second marathon (and second WDW Marathon). I did the same thing last year with weekly training updates and I’m SO glad I did because it kept me accountable and I love having the memories and feelings to look back on. It’s going to be awesome. Can’t wait to follow along on your journey, too. I loved reading your Ironman posts. That’s a big goal for me in the future!
Lindsay Edwards recently posted..the newest and best coffee places in tampa.

4 Rachel R. August 24, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I’m excited to follow your updates! I’m pretty close to where you are right now fitness-wise (my last 5k a few weeks ago was about 37 minutes), and I also run-walk. I’d love to do a longer race (not a marathon, but maybe a half-marathon) one day, so this will be great for me to follow along!

5 Erin @ LivingEZ August 24, 2016 at 7:33 pm

The biggest accomplishment is getting out the door sometimes! It took me a good long while to get back to pre baby speed, that said, running with the stroller really helped with my speed and strength. So there are some upsides of running with a baby!
Erin @ LivingEZ recently posted..Hiking La Perouse to Malabar Beach – Is It worth It?

6 Molly August 25, 2016 at 9:45 am

Oh man, I am SO excited for you Meghann!! I love following this kind of stuff, and I know how big of a deal this must be for ya! You’re going to rock it regardless of your time. I’ve yet to do a full marathon, I just don’t know if these knees can take that mileage, but doing the run/walk method seems to work great. Keep at it!

7 crystal August 25, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I have fallen out of the running mojo I once had due to a pregnancy and a 6 month old. I was wonder if you could provide information around running and breastfeeding. Its so tough scheduling things without scheduling around a run and was wondering if there were any special plans you had around breastfeeding.

8 Reenie August 26, 2016 at 10:49 am

Can’t wait to follow along. You go Meg!!

9 Heather Smith August 26, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I’m kind of in the same boat…I took too much time off and my running has been so sporadic, that when I go out to run the best I can do is run walk.

Your plan looks great! I might save it for myself if I ever decide to run a marathon again 🙂

10 Karen August 26, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Great going Meghann…Can I suggest doing a 1min run/30 second walk… That’s truthfully what 2:1 has become in the last few years… You will not run any slower… guaranteed and you might actually find yourself going a bit faster. I will also switch to 30:30 if I’m feeling a bit off. Got a 19 miler tomorrow… Definitely a little apprehensive and I’ve been running all along. You GO girl!!

11 Tory D August 26, 2016 at 3:39 pm

You’re going to rock it! Even though I’m slower, hope to see you there (I’m running Dopey!)
Tory D recently posted..How Sweating Is Like My Depression

12 Lindsay August 27, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I’m very excited to follow along on your updates! My little guy is turning one next week and I feel like I never quite got back up to speed since having him so I’m also doing a run/walk plan right now for a half marathon. Can’t wait to see your progress!! All the best from another mom runner 🙂

13 Eliza V. August 28, 2016 at 4:33 pm

as a non-runner who ran a half once and am considering signing up for another one… This post is so incredibly inspiring. you have to start somewhere and I can’t wait to start up again this week. thank you for an honest perspective on starting fresh. good luck!!