Hello

by Meghann on August 16, 2016

Hi.

It’s me again.

I just returned from back-to-back work trips and I am utterly exhausted. The older I get, the harder these trips become. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I looked tired today, I would have a lot of dollars.

There was once a time when I would sneak in blogging on the plane, or late at night while traveling, but now I treasure those moments for sleep.

Oh, sleep. How I love thee.

I would also get up early to run and was an expert at packing my own travel snacks. Last week I realized just how far removed I was from my former self when I forgot to grab breakfast before my first flight and polished off two bags of the free cookies they were passing out. I was so hungry at that point I would have ate anything.

Sometimes I miss my old habits. I’m not sure at what exact point I drifted away from all of them, but they’re definitely depleting. I need to get better at them. I need to find time to write. I need to think ahead with snacks. I need to make exercise a priority when I’m away.

But I also need sleep.

So I ate cookies for breakfast.

So I slept on the plane instead of opening my computer.

So I spent every chance I could Facetiming with my baby girl (while missing her like crazy).

Here I am. And I’m okay with that.

I’ll return with a real blog post. For now, I need more sleep. Apparently getting older also means it takes longer to recover from work trips.

1 Kimberly August 17, 2016 at 1:10 am

I am SOO with you on sleep over anything else! I have a four-month old, and I miss those days when I would get my run or gym time in at 5am before work, or run 2+ plus hours on the weekend training for a marathon. I know these baby moments are temporary, so I’m trying to cherish every waking and sleeping moment!

2 Linda @ the fitty August 17, 2016 at 4:15 am

Time to rejuvenate and hit the spa!
Linda @ the fitty recently posted..MY BIKINI BODY GUIDE WEIGHT LOSS TRANSFORMATION!

3 Kim August 17, 2016 at 9:14 am

My son will be 2 in October and I FINALLY figured out how to workout regularly, meal prep again, etc. when he was about 18 months old. It takes time! And you’re figuring out how to incorporate your old habits into a life that is way different than it was before. As time goes on, you’ll find your old habits again. But until then, just do the best you can! I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone, and it will come eventually. 🙂

4 Ashely@ Sweet Carolina Belle August 17, 2016 at 12:53 pm

100% with you on this post. I wonder if it is age or just having a kid that puts your priorities into perspective. I miss it sometimes but not often these days. 🙂
Ashely@ Sweet Carolina Belle recently posted..Friday Five

5 stephanie August 17, 2016 at 1:04 pm

You can’t do it all.
A couple things that have saved me…
-making to do lists in the car with my talk to text function on my phone.
-Adding things like luna/kind bars to my target list and keeping them in the car and my bag. Hello I forgot to eat. In my better organized moments I even make energy bites out of PB, oats, honey and chocolate chips that I keep in the fridge and grab a few when I need some energy.
-Set a timer to push for 10 more minutes when I want to collapse on the couch at the end of the day. Those few things really make me feel more confident and ready the following day. But more than 10 minutes is too long/intimidating.

6 Liz August 17, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Don’t be yourself up over it, it’s all life stuff and you’re doing the best you can! As a long time follower of your blog (hahaha 6-7 years I think!) it’s refreshing to see that everyone has the same struggles. Thank you for keeping it real with us!!! Do what you think is best for you and your family every day!!! And if that means eating an extra cookie and sleeping instead of blogging, trust me we’ve all been there 🙂

7 Amanda August 18, 2016 at 11:05 am

Girl, you don’t NEED to do anything except take care of you and your family! Don’t put pressure on yourself to be the “old” you. You are the present you and that’s awesome.

(I do really miss your blogs, though! You’re one of my favorite. But I understand why you haven’t been blogging as much 🙂

8 Kate August 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm

I have been coming to terms with the fact that the old me is long gone. If my life is completely different, how can I expect myself to be the same? My son is about 2 months younger than your daughter, and I have just recently gotten back into exercising (shooting for 3x per week) and meal planning for the week. Those are realistic things new me can do!
Kate recently posted..You Changed Me

9 Amy August 24, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I saw on IG that you started marathon training – way to go! Are you training with your jogging stroller? I would love to see weekly recaps of your runs. I really enjoyed following your Ironman training a few years ago too. Best of luck!

10 Anne August 24, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Please be kind to yourself. It WILL get back. My son is now 20 months old and every month I realize how much more of my former self I am becoming again.