Running Check-In

by Meghann on July 19, 2016

I’m officially 24 weeks out from the Walt Disney World Marathon.

WDWMarathon2017

Here are my current stats:

• Weekly miles: 0-6 miles
  • Runs per week: 0-3
  • Average pace: ?? (12:00 min/mi???)

As you can see, I’m basically starting from scratch here.

My goal is to start training in September, giving myself roughly 18 weeks to train. After a couple of months of “what the heck was I thinking?!” – and serious consideration of switching to the half marathon – I’ve recently had an odd rush of excitement and a severe desire to get my act together. Last week I dusted off my copy of the Hansons Marathon Method and have been reading it before bed.

Hansons Marathon Method

There’s nothing like a super technical book on the ins and outs of running to re-inspire someone to start training again.

Admittedly, I’ve been geeking out over the various pace charts, tempo talk, and track workouts. I didn’t realize how much I missed this stuff until I spent a whole hour trying to calculate my training goals based off of one of the charts. Right now I think a safe bet would be aiming for a sub-4:30 finish. That gives me a goal race pace of 10:18ish min/mi. Not a crazy pace based of previous races, but super ambitious considering my current level of fitness.

Hansons Marathon Method

There’s a beginner training plan in the book that I plan to modify to fit my needs. I’d like to run no more than 4 days a week, with a MAX weekly mileage of 40 miles. To achieve that I’ll concentrate on shorter, speedier runs during the week with a long run over the weekend. I’ve had successes with a similar approach in the past and am optimistic my body will adapt accordingly. However, I know there will be a LOT of trial & error, as my body is not what it once was.

I’m also ready to move back to early morning runs. I’m a morning runner, I always have been. Though I’ve appreciated my evening runs with Maddie, I yearn to start my days with a run instead of ending with one. I miss that early morning rush and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with starting your day with a workout. *knock on wood* Now that Annalynn’s sleeping habits are becoming somewhat more predictable at night and in the morning *knock on wood* the early morning alarm doesn’t sound quite as painful as it once did. Now I just need to re-establish my early morning habits and get my butt out the door before the rest of the house wakes.

I’m going to gradually ease myself back into morning runs, setting my alarm for 5:00am (gulp!) three mornings a week with a goal of building my running base back up. I’d like to get back up to comfortably running 10-15 miles a week with minimal walking. I’ll start with 2-3 mile runs and plan to dig my Garmin out of storage for the first time in over a year to eventually bring my pace back where it needs to be.

I’m not looking to set any PRs here. I miss running and having a goal really excites me. I can do this, I know I can – one step at a time.

1 Linda @ The Fitty July 19, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Do you find training for a marathon is as taxing as a full time job? I am constantly busy but I aspire to run at least 1 marathon one day!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..My Morning Routine + Nature’s Hollow Giveaway!

2 Meghann August 2, 2016 at 9:11 am

Not really. I’ve always been an early-morning runner though, so it doesn’t really cut-in with my day. IRONMAN training, though, that required 8 hour training days sometimes!

3 Elizabeth July 19, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I hate to touch on the pumping can of (silly troll) worms but do you plan to pump before your morning run? I really want to get back to morning workouts but can’t decide what to do with respect to early morning fullness. I know from my first kid that it’s healthier for my body to run immediately after emptying. I’m considering a morning dream feed but that feels like it could result in an awake baby.
You’re going to do great with the full.

4 Meghann August 2, 2016 at 9:10 am

Honestly, my boobs aren’t as full as they used to be. It might have been an issue a few months ago, but my body has regulated so much that even if she sleeps through the night I don’t have hard spots or pain. But, just in case it is an issue, I have my manual pump on standby for quick relief.

5 Kimberly July 20, 2016 at 12:06 am

I feel ya – I have a marathon in December. Since I had my baby girl in April, I thought i have plenty of time to train. Yikes! I run 4 miles and I wonder how the heck am I going to run 26.2?! I love running in the morning as well, but these days my 3 month old is still not on a predictable schedule. Good thing she’s cute 🙂

6 Jenna July 20, 2016 at 7:26 am

Can you change which race you are registered for Disney? I thought they wouldn’t allow you to switch distances, but you mentioned being able to switch to the half marathon. Good luck with training!

7 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed July 20, 2016 at 8:17 am

I love finishing my workout before my day even starts. I’m not sure it really ever got easier for me to get out of bed, but knowing how good I’ll feel afterwards always makes it worth it. You can do it mama 🙂
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Our Trip to Italy Part 4: Etruscan Tunnels, a Winery Tour, & More

8 Laura July 20, 2016 at 8:23 am

Can’t wait to hear how your training goes! I did a 70.3 7 months after giving birth to my daughter. It was rare to have a week go exactly as planned in regards to training but I made it work and completed the race comfortably. You can do it!
Laura recently posted..Getting Pregnant: Timing and Trying

9 Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com July 20, 2016 at 9:10 am

Good for you! It’s hard to get back to the morning workout routine after baby, but when that’s what you enjoy it’s always better in the end.
Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com recently posted..Double Birthday Celebration & this Week’s Meal Plan

10 Esther July 20, 2016 at 9:32 am

I am excited for you! I’m also getting back into running postpartum. This week is my first week of training for a half marathon in October (my son is 7.5 months old). I’m curious – are you still breastfeeding? That is proving to be one of the bigger logistical challenges for me. I am a morning runner, but since my son sleeps through the night, I need to either nurse or pump when I first wake up or running will be *super* uncomfortable. So I’m looking at waking up early enough to pump, run, shower, and then nurse before work. I’m just not sure if that’s manageable. If you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them – I’d so much rather run in the morning than after work!

11 Madeline July 20, 2016 at 10:06 am

Morning running is the only way I could do it! I ran my first pp marathon when my daughter was about a year old. I’d sneak downstairs while everyone was sleeping, pump (that was also a back up in case my daughter woke up before I got home), run, shower, and try to get ready for work before my daughter woke up and needed to eat. It took a little more time than my pre-baby get up and go routine, but it worked! Of course, the fact that I go to bed around 9 doesn’t hurt either…

12 Rebekah @ Run Away from Zombies July 20, 2016 at 10:28 am

I love all that technical stuff and planning, too. It gets me excited and invested to train.

Good luck with your morning starts. I decided I needed a more regular morning routine and am on day 11 of 6AM morning alarms, independent of my agenda for the day. I’m hoping to work my way to 5AM like you!
Rebekah @ Run Away from Zombies recently posted..Running After Dental Work

13 Lacey July 20, 2016 at 11:18 am

I’m excited to follow your journey back to a marathon. I was completely out of shape when I started reading your blog and I remember reading about you running every morning and thinking “I wonder how she started out running and if I could ever do that?” Now I’m healthier, 55 pounds lighter than before (thanks to walking and Zumba) and am thinking of starting running right along “with” you. 🙂

14 Dietitian Jess July 20, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Excited to follow along with your journey to becoming an mom marathoner! I don’t have kids (yet) but marathon training is so mentally grueling and time consuming I know it would be ten times harder to train when you have another life to take care of- you can definitely do it! I’m debating a winter marathon since fall might be pushing it with a current injury. Best of luck with your training!
Dietitian Jess recently posted..Italy Recap #1: Naples, Pompeii, and Positano

15 Meagan @ My Life as Mrs July 20, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Yay! All power to you! I don’t think I could ever run a marathon, it sounds a little too much for me, but I’d love to do a Disney race someday soon. As soon as I can afford it anyways.
Meagan @ My Life as Mrs recently posted..2 Years Since We Said “I Do”

16 Jenna Turnage July 20, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Love seeing this! I am a new mom (8 month old little chica) just diving back into my running world as well. I signed up for a half marathon for October (eeeek!). My little one rises around 6am so as I ease back into AM running the 5 o’clock hour is my out the door time too. My boobs are FULL at that hour in prep for morning feeding and I know your are EBF as well. Do you plan to pump in the AM or run without? Would love to hear your plan for this because I have been trying to figure it out myself and always benefit so much from the experience of others!

17 Emily July 20, 2016 at 4:57 pm

If you’re looking to run less, try _Run Less, Run Faster_. I think the Hansons’ method relies on progressively exhausting your legs, while RLRF focuses on three quality runs per week with one (I think one) day of cross-training. RLRF does have an excessive (I think, anyway) number of 18 to 20-mile runs, but you can modify that.

18 Kim July 21, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Good luck Meghann! You can do it!! I will be running my first marathon this fall– the thought is terrifying, and marathon training has been much more difficult than I had anticipated. I read your marathon race recaps sometimes when I start to doubt myself. You are a great role model!

19 Kate July 21, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Good luck!! I am so impressed that you have the energy to get those runs in. My son is 7 months old and my exercise has been hit or miss since he was born. Most of the time, I’m okay with that but I have started to feel more “blah” lately. Hoping to slowly incorporate more exercise to increase energy and feel better physically and mentally. Enjoy your runs!!
Kate recently posted..How I’m Accepting My Mom Bod

20 erin m. July 23, 2016 at 11:06 am

Good luck!! I’m registered for my first marathon in Nov and am questioning my sanity!