The Stroller Crew

by Meghann on June 23, 2016

Becoming a mom is a beautiful, amazing thing.

It’s also really scary and really hard.

That’s why mom friends are amazing. They just get it. A good mom friend isn’t there to judge; she’s there to celebrate the good times, commiserate with the bad, and offer her own stories that make you feel a little saner.

I’m lucky to have a few really good mom-friends locally. There seems to be a baby boom within my circle of friends and I’m a-okay with that. It’s funny, a few years ago we were all IRONMAN training, texting daily about workouts, and meeting before work and after work to get in two-a-days.

Now, we’re still texting daily, but our conversations look a little different (is this normal? when did they start this? is it wine o’clock yet?). We’re also meeting for workouts, but now we’re toting our strollers instead of riding our bikes. And our faithful Garmins? Who needs those? Our littles have no problem letting us know when our time is up.

mom friends

Also, no need for those 5am wake-up calls. Workouts revolve around the babies’ schedules. Our weekly strolls roll out after 9:00am, just in time for the first nap. We favor walking over running, stick to a shaded trail, and the 3-4 miles we’re out there fly by thanks to the almost pure baby-themed conversation. It’s a mix of therapy and exercise, just as it should be.

13402410_304084019931175_206814957_n

Seriously, our weekly strolls is my new favorite thing. It’s the motivation I need to get out of the house on a Saturday, and I really do miss our old crazy workouts. Okay. That’s a lie. I don’t exactly miss those 6 hour training rides, but I do missing spending so much dedicated time with my friends. Maybe one day we’ll figure out how to juggle multiple weekly workouts again, but for now Saturday morning is just fine.

Brooks Neuro

1 Dottie (@crazyfitmommy) June 25, 2016 at 3:05 am

This is so awesome! I need to make some more mommy friends around here, because I could definitely use a few miles of stroller therapy a couple times a week! 🙂

2 Linda @ The Fitty June 25, 2016 at 9:06 am

Whoa, were you a professional athlete in the past, working out for 6 hours?!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Protected: My First Kiss Went a Little Like This…

3 Mary June 25, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Four of my friends are having babies in 2016 (me too!) but none of them are running friends, or willing to give it a go. 🙁 I’m thinking perhaps they could become good babysitting friends whilst I head out for a run instead…! 😛
Mary recently posted..All the delicious Summer foods

4 Dottie (@crazyfitmommy) June 26, 2016 at 1:23 am

That’s my problem too! I need to make some mommy friends that love to be active. Then we can have our stroller workouts, some boot camps in the park while the kids play, or pretty much anything that’s not sitting on a couch or watching a movie lol.
Dottie (@crazyfitmommy) recently posted..Friday fun!

5 cindy June 26, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Im sure youll het back to serious workouts! Have you seen msfitrunner? Or carrotsncake? As a new mom they let me know i can have my kiddo and still train!! Just registered for november marathon with a 6 month old…i love him but training makes this momma better as a momma!!

6 cindy June 26, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Im sure youll get back to serious workouts! Have you seen msfitrunner? Or carrotsncake? As a new mom they let me know i can have my kiddo and still train!! Just registered for november marathon with a 6 month old…i love him but training makes this momma better as a momma!!

7 Katie @ Balanced RD June 27, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I love this post! I am pregnant now and love hearing about other mom’s experiences. It seems like it is so important to have other moms to talk to about everything!

8 Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com June 27, 2016 at 5:45 pm

It’s so true! You really do join a whole new club when you become a mom. And I wouldn’t have it any other way either. 🙂

9 Leigh June 28, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Which trails do you use? I’m in St. Pete and looking for new Saturday morning options with my dog 🙂