Beach Baby

by Meghann on May 30, 2016

Six years ago my parents rented a house on a secluded, low-key island and invited all of the kids, significant others, and dogs to join. It was the perfect vacation spot for our ever-growing family and one we’ve continued to return to year after year. Now, four weddings and two babies later (with two more on the way!) it’s our favorite little piece of paradise that I can’t wait to continue to share with the next generation.

North Captiva Sunset

We had our annual trip to our favorite island over the long holiday weekend and it was just what the doctor ordered. Last year I was 20 weeks pregnant with Annalynn. This year I had the opportunity to introduce her to one of my favorite places.

Mesh Tula Coastal

Clearly she was impressed. Ha!

My little fish loves the water and basically had her mind blown at the beach. Water! Sand! Toys! What more can a girl ask for?!

Beach baby Beach Baby iPlay swimsuit at beach Beach Baby

(p.s. all swimsuits are iPlay!)

She also got to hang out with Cousin Owen, which was super adorable. Owen was practicing his big brother skills by bringing her toys, sharing his snack, and telling her stories. Like I said, SUPER adorable.

Beach Baby Inflatable Pool Beach Baby Cousins

This was our biggest vacation to date with Annalynn (4 nights!) and, while we really enjoyed ourselves, I’m not sure we could do longer than that. Annalynn slowly regressed with sleeping in the pack ‘n’ play (I even bought a really comfy mattress pad cover for it!) and by the end she wasn’t having it at all. I can’t tell you how happy we were to have her back in her own bed tonight.

20160528_113408

Despite the sleep regression, our house on the beach served as the perfect spot to vacation with little ones. We could set up the big tent on the beach in the morning, then return home as needed for naps, food, a break, etc. without having to pack everything and have everyone else return with us. We were also able to move at “island time” which meant there was no need to rush out anywhere and no set schedules to abide by. The house was even big enough to give the little ones there own play space without stepping on everyone’s toes.

Beach love

Perfect Beach House North Captiva

20160527_183548 Pool Floating North Captiva Sunset

We head back to reality in the morning. I’m already counting down to next year’s trip!

1 Michelle @Run4Life May 30, 2016 at 10:15 pm

That looks so perfect! What a wonderful getaway!

2 Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes May 30, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Looks like a great way to spend the holiday weekend! I’m glad you had fun and had some time to relax while introducing the little one to your favorite place!
Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes recently posted..Beats Half Marathon Training – Week 2 + Discount Code

3 Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com May 31, 2016 at 9:05 am

That looks like it was lovely! At least when the kiddos don’t sleep well you’re on vacation so you don’t have to function as much?
Melissa @ melissakolbeck.com recently posted..Sprouts vs Trader Joe’s

4 [email protected] May 31, 2016 at 9:24 am

Just did 3 nights away with the little and I was shocked at how quickly he regressed in terms of his sleeping. Being back home last night was AWESOME. Hahahaha.
[email protected] recently posted..The New Normal- Fitting It All In Post Baby

5 Alice May 31, 2016 at 10:29 am

The regression might also just be the 8 month sleep regression. Is she crawling/pulling up yet? There are some great FB groups dedicated to baby sleep issues if you are looking for help/guidance/support!

6 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 31, 2016 at 10:34 am

Looks like an awesome trip! I love that she’s so acclimated to the water already, those swim lessons paid off.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..I think it’s time for a big update!

7 Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue May 31, 2016 at 11:01 am

This looks like such a great holiday! I love the idea of going back to the same place for an annual family holiday. My family did a week at the beach in San Diego for many years and I’m hoping to restart the tradition with my own kids this summer!
Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue recently posted..Memorial Day Weekend 2016

8 Madeline May 31, 2016 at 8:36 pm

My daughter slept like complete garbage whenever we traveled until she was like 13 months old. She normally slept through the night, but would be up every hour in a hotel or at a family member or friend’s house. Eventually they figure it out! It looks like you guys had an awesome trip!

9 Jill June 2, 2016 at 9:27 am

Agree! Love vacation but hate vacation sleep! Even my almost 5 year old ends up waking up at like 5 AM just because he’s so excited for each day. It’s cute but exhausting! I don’t like to share the same room as my almost 2 year old because if he sees you in the same room, he will want to wake up and play. The almost 5 year old will ask me all night if it’s time to wake up, yet… Ugh!!

10 Aria June 3, 2016 at 4:07 pm

My son is literally one day younger than your daughter and I was very worried about him sleeping away from home in the pack n play while we were away last weekend. He hates not being in his crib so I was panicking and I ordered a mini crib mattress (fits pack n plays to a t!) off amazon and I swear it was the best investment ever. He still was a little off but did MUCH better than expected.

11 Meghann June 7, 2016 at 8:46 am

Do you have a link? I’d love to look into it!

12 Aria June 7, 2016 at 10:04 am