Evening Runner

by Meghann on May 11, 2016

It’s happened.

Something I thought was near impossible.

I’ve become an evening runner. Gulp.

runselfie

When I first started running back in 2008, my then-boyfriend and I would lace up our shoes after work and go for a jog around the block before dinner. As time went on, various evening plans kept messing with my evening run so I switched to mornings and never really looked back. Over the years I’ve met friends or training groups for evening runs on occassion, but I’ve always been the most comfortable (and consistent!) waking well before dawn to get my early run in.

Since Annalynn’s arrival, I’ve struggled to regain that morning running routine. Due to multiple nighttime wake-ups (combined with an inconsistent morning wake-up time), I’m exhausted when my alarm goes off at 6:15 and the idea of waking any earlier is just not appealing at this time. So I’ve had to come up with a plan B, which has honestly been a gradual transition.

While Annalynn’s wake-up time remains terribly inconsistent, her bedtime is becoming a little more routine (knock on wood. knock on wood. PLEASE don’t jinx myself). It started with the goal of taking Maddie for a walk after Annalynn went to bed. The daylight was starting to stretch a little longer into the night and suddenly 7:30 didn’t feel so late. Maddie and I were able to stretch our walks a little longer and I eventually added my running shoes into the mix. We’re still not going longer than 2 miles at a time, but it’s a start and it’s the most consistent I’ve been with any workout routine in the last 8 months.

So this is my new normal. I’m running three nights a week and am THRILLED with that. It’s nice to just have 30 minutes to clear my head on the pavement again. There may be a time when I’ll go back to mornings, but for right now evenings are fine by me.

1 Kirsten May 11, 2016 at 10:53 am

All that matters is that you are getting out there and having a little bit of time to yourself. Good for you, its hard work getting off the couch when all you want to do is relax 🙂

2 Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue May 11, 2016 at 11:19 am

Yep! I am in exactly the same position. I very much prefer running in the morning, but transitioned to running in the evening after my daughter was born because the mornings were too early / too unpredictable. I thought it was near impossible too I did eventually get used to it. Hooray for making it happen!
Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue recently posted..Reading Roundup – April 2016

3 Reenie May 11, 2016 at 11:29 am

That’s awesome Meghann ~ and Maddie looks thrilled to be back at it too!! 🙂

4 Kendra May 11, 2016 at 11:42 am

Good for you!!! My daughter just turned 2 and I still haven’t gotten back to any semblance of a workout routine. Here’s my question: When you do eat dinner?? Super early like 5:00 (Are you even home then? I’m not) or super late like 9:00 or ??

5 Meghann May 11, 2016 at 11:46 am

I don’t get home from work until 6:30. We eat around 7:00 and then Annalynn goes to bed right after dinner. I’m generally fine eating on a full stomach, but I know that doesn’t work for everyone.

6 Ashley May 11, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Do you mean running on a full stomach? I have such a hard time running in the evenings because the endorphins keep me up for hours after! How are your workouts going with Grokker going? I’m curious to hear about those bc I usually need a video to do when I’m home with the baby.

7 Karen May 11, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I was just going to ask this same question…I get home around 6/6:30, try hard to get my 7 month old in bed by 7 after his bath/nursing (7:30 at the latest) and by then I’m starving and choose to eat over run ?
His sleep throughout the night after his first stretch is terrible and he wakes up about 3 times between 10-5/5:30am…and after his 5/5:30 wake up he goes back down but I have to get ready for work and we are both out the door at 7.
I so want to run but am having a hard time getting it to happen

8 Mary May 12, 2016 at 10:34 am

When I have to do an evening run, I plan a snack that I can eat in the car on my way home. That way I don’t have to think about it and it’s just enough to get me through for a later dinner. I can’t run on a full stomach but if I have a snack at 5/5:30 that’s perfect.

9 Amanda May 13, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I’ll leave my 2 cents… my daughter (9 months) loves being outside and running with me (well, okay I’m pushing her in the jogging stroller, but you know what I mean). I get home from work at 5:30 and immediately change, pop her in the stroller, and head out for anywhere from 2-4 miles. When we get home, I shower quickly and then we proceed with the dinner/nighttime routine. This works great on days when my husband and I eat leftovers or something really easy for dinner! Even though my daughter and I aren’t playing together, I feel like we are bonding during our runs and spending time together.
Amanda recently posted..Month Nine

10 Heather May 11, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I’ve slowly turned into an evening runner too but it bums me out- I’m in Ohio and this isn’t something I’m able to do all year (well bundling up and wearing a headlight would make it possible- but I’m not willing to do that…)

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 11, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I’m on the flip side of the equation… I used to workout in the mornings when I was coaching cheerleading bc otherwise I couldn’t fit it in, but I stopped when I stopped coaching. I really enjoy working out in the evenings, but now that it’s getting nice out and my schedule is filling up, I’m heading back to the gym in the mornings.

Cheers to making it work!!!!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..A Lovely Weekend in Houston

12 Ashley May 11, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Hi! Longtime reader here, I wanted to say thank you for sharing so much of your life. Your little is adorable! Reading about her sleep, I wanted to share the name of our awesome sleep coach. I actually found her in the comments section on a similar blog when my older daughter was 5 months old and sleeping terribly. She saved us! My second daughter is 6 months old and sleeps well thanks to Shannon. Check her out (free consultation!). Shannon Glenn at sleep well children . Com. Best of luck!!

13 Katherine May 12, 2016 at 9:40 am

I second Shannon!! Worth every penny.

14 Jess May 11, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Good on you for getting on there! And finding evenings work! So so so much harder once you’re a Mum!
Jess recently posted..Life Lately!

15 Rachel May 12, 2016 at 4:04 am

Same here! My little boy is 8 months and I’ve just completed week 4 of Couch 2 10k by running in the evenings. I always did my workouts in the morning before, so realising that evening workouts were an option was a revelation!

16 Jennifer Lefforge May 12, 2016 at 8:33 am

That’s the key to the whole mothering game, isn’t it? We have to flex and figure out what works best in each season. I’ve been doing more evening running lately, too, and I love it! Although I’m with you – early morning will always be my “favorite” time of day (and the one I’m less likely to wimp out of!). Great post!

17 Laura May 12, 2016 at 9:19 am

I’ve always been a night runner, I hate getting up early to run and I know I’d just go back to sleep! I’m lucky and able to be home by 5 with my daughter most nights (work and daycare are super close to our house and I take a short lunch to leave earlier) so I can run with her in the BOB before bed. Last night we did a 7 miler together, I was pretty proud! We were home by 6:30 so she had an hour before bed to hang out with her Dad, get a bath, and eat.
Laura recently posted..Getting Pregnant: Timing and Trying

18 Melissa May 12, 2016 at 4:28 pm

It’s so hard to transition when you work out. But I bet that once you get more used to it you’ll love it, if nothing else but for the you-time you get from it.
Melissa recently posted..Mother’s Day Recap & CORE Giveaway Winner