Annalynn: 7 Months

by Meghann on May 1, 2016

Happy 7 Months, Annalynn!

7 months

You are growing like a little weed! You’re 16 lbs 8 0z now, in 6-9 month clothes, and wearing size 3 diapers. Your little personality is definitely starting to shine through. You love to babble, laugh, and explore. Everything goes in the mouth. Everything.

reaching 7 months

Milestones

So many new changes this month!

First of all, you are sitting like a champ now. You can sit unassisted for extended periods of time and have no problem reaching for toys, bringing them to your mouth, and sitting back up on your own. Sitting is one of your favorite activities.

IMG_0071

You’re still not technically crawling, but definitely becoming more mobile. You’re pretty good at getting where you want to go by rolling and scooting backwards (still haven’t figured out moving forward yet). Seeing a toy out of reach is your number one motivation to get moving.

You know your name! This is huge! I can’t tell you how exciting it is to say “Annalynn” and see you turn your sweet head. Still no nicknames, yet. You’re just Annalynn to us.

IMG_0042

On the vocal front, you’ve started copying noises mommy and daddy make. “Yeahh” “Hi” and “whoa” are favorites. You also love to blow your tongue and lips.

Sleeping

Transitioning from the swaddle to Merlin’s Magic Suit was awesome. Transitioning from Merlin’s Magic Suit to just footie pajamas was terrible. You went from waking up 1-2 times a night, to waking up 3-4 times a night (sometimes every hour!). Suddenly you hated your Pack ‘n’ Play, and even putting you down in your crib was terrible. You had no problem sleeping cuddled up next to mom at night, but then I couldn’t sleep! It was a battle for Zzzzss that I was clearly losing.

Everyone I spoke with told me it would take a few days for you adjust, but after a week with no improvement (in fact, I think you were getting worse) I took to the sleep boards and started ordering everything that could possibly help. I ended up buying a fancy mattress pad for your Pack ‘n’ Play and a couple of sleep sacks other parents swore by.

You’re still getting up twice a night, but it’s so much better than it was earlier this month. After some trial and error, we realized you preferred a heavier weighted sleep sack (you currently sleep in the Merino Kids Sleep Sack) and do better sleeping in your own crib throughout the night. You’re 100% a belly sleeper now, which is fine by us if it means you’ll sleep better at night.

You’re also down to only two naps a day.

Eating

We’ve entered a whole new realm of food this month with solids.

IMG_9876

You had your first taste of solid food (cucumber sticks and avocado!), two days after you turned 6 months. We’re doing the Baby Led Weaning approach, and so far, so good. On top of the cucumber and avocado, you’ve had sweet potato, banana, apple, chicken, eggs, pancakes, broccoli (your favorite!), pear, red bell pepper, ground beef, and a few other items I’m sure I’m forgetting.

IMG_9914

I really need to write a whole post about BLW because we’re really enjoying the process. It’s been pretty easy so far (*knock on wood*), and while I’m pretty sure you’re having more fun playing with the food than actually eating it, your diapers tell otherwise.

Misc

Whenever you’re visually upset (and the binky isn’t working), the best way to calm you down is to sing. You enjoy “Wheels on the Bus,” ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,” and “Itsy, Bitsy, Spider.” You also love to laugh and making a funny noise or clapping enthusiastically will always get a smile.

annalynn and maddie

Mommy and Daddy love you so much. Your bright smile lights up our world and your laugh is the best noise in the world. We have a fun month planned ahead with a couple of big trips. We can’t wait to take you on some new adventures!

1 Reenie May 2, 2016 at 11:18 am

So cute 🙂

2 Ashley May 2, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Is that sleep sack really worth $120???!!!

3 Mrs swan May 2, 2016 at 7:00 pm

To a mom desparate for sleep I would day hell yes. Lol. I cosleep with my littles myself. I did see that is goes up to 2 yrs of age so at least it has a long life. I paid more than that for my Lillebaby soft structured carrier but it will last well into toddlerhood as well.
Mrs swan recently posted..A case of the eats

4 Meghann May 4, 2016 at 9:19 am

Yes. When you’re a desperate mom, you’ll try anything! I can’t tell you how many impulse purchases I’ve made at 2am in the last 6 months out of pure desperation.

5 Amy May 4, 2016 at 10:18 am

I’m a pretty sleep-deprived my mom, and while I’ll try anything I can, I don’t think I could either afford or justify a new $120 sleep sack, sorry. Most of us can’t afford to make those kinds of impulse purchases new, especially when they can often be found on swap groups or in thrift stores for much, much cheaper.

6 Liz May 4, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Keep in mind that it also fits newborns through 2 years old, which is not the case for most sleep sacks. My daughter is now in size Large sleep sacks at 14 months old, and I have probably spent more than $120 on all the different sizes as she grows out of them. In hindsight this probably would have been more cost effective, and saved some storage space!

7 Anna May 2, 2016 at 12:27 pm

What baby sleep website are you looking at for advice?

Your little one is so cute.

8 Ashley May 5, 2016 at 2:33 pm

This! I’m always late irking for good resources!!

9 Ashley May 5, 2016 at 2:34 pm

This! I’m always looking for good resources!!

10 Nicole May 17, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Yes I agree. What baby sleep boards did you look for advice? I’m going crazy with my 3 month who won’t nap more than 30 minutes. Its wearing me and my husband out.

11 Jennifer M May 2, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Annalynn is so incredibly cute. And I agree, baby laughter is definitely the best sound in the world. It makes my heart so happy. You are doing a great job!

12 Lacey May 2, 2016 at 3:57 pm

You and Derek are truly blessed with such beautiful & healthy baby girl!

P.S. I can’t believe broccoli is her favorite- you can sure tell she’s your daughter! 😉

13 Laurie May 2, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Such a adorable and cute baby! You and Derek are doing a great job!

14 Donna May 2, 2016 at 8:33 pm

She is beautiful!

15 Jess May 3, 2016 at 7:29 am

Such a beautiful girl!
Jess recently posted..ANGI Study – what’s been happening lately!

16 Ashley May 3, 2016 at 7:35 am

YESSS on the BLW blog post!!!

17 Laura May 3, 2016 at 8:50 am

Did she take to solids right away? We just started our daughter at 6 months on solids and she makes a face like it’s the worse thing in the world and clamps her mouth shut so we can’t get any in her mouth!
Laura recently posted..Getting Pregnant: Timing and Trying

18 Jennifer M May 3, 2016 at 4:14 pm

The thing about baby led weaning is that it is baby led. If she is only 6 months, let her keep practicing. She will get the hang of it.

19 Meghann May 4, 2016 at 9:17 am

I agree with Jennifer. Annalynn is in a stage where she puts EVERYTHING in her mouth, so the food we put in front of her is just one more thing she can put in her mouth. She loves to play with the food (she’s also very curious of different textures) and enjoys gnawing on it, but I’m not sure she’s really associated food with nourishment just yet. When ever she does manage to swallow anything she usually has a surprised look on her face, like “what just happened?” At 6 months, food is really just for exploration and play. Give her time to figure it out.

20 Melissa May 3, 2016 at 9:29 am

Your kid is so cute. Like, for real. I LOVE seeing the updates on her!!
Melissa recently posted..Meal Planning Tips + FREE Download

21 [email protected] May 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I’d like to read a BLW post too!! Considering that approach to solids for Aiden.
[email protected] recently posted..Weekly Weigh In- Week 7

22 Kaitlin May 3, 2016 at 5:27 pm

$120 for a sleep sack??? Dear God I hope you got that for free. Wowweeee.

23 Elizabeth Goldin May 4, 2016 at 9:03 am

Will you ever do a post on daycare? How are her naps? Is she over the getting sick hump? Would love a post on that! She’s adorable. 🙂

24 Meghann May 4, 2016 at 9:14 am

I’ll see what I can do. I feel like daycare is a very touchy subject, so I want to be cautious when writing about our experience.

25 Chelsea May 5, 2016 at 9:59 am

She is so cute! I have a daughter 2 months younger than yours and I would love to read your take on BLW and how breastfeeding/pumping is going now that she is having a little bit of solids.