Playing Catch-Up

by Meghann on April 28, 2016

I have lots to catch-up on today.

First of all, once again, thank you for all of your kind words on my “The Truth Is…” post. I feel like I need to constantly reiterate that this blog is merely a FRACTION of my life and doesn’t even come close to sharing everything. When I wrote that post I was full of emotion from the comments on the previous post and wanted to share a little piece of what goes on in my life every day.

I obviously left out a few details, like Derek and apparently the fact that we DO have a cleaning service that comes once a month. However, it should be noted, that once a month is NOT enough. She comes on, let’s say a Wednesday, and on Thursday the house is a disaster again. It’s crazy how quickly things get back out of place. Of all the things going on right now, a clean house is LOW on the priority list. Like super low. Like, if you’re coming over I’ll just warn you to remember to dodge the stroller, dog toys, and shoes that are currently taking up all the space in our hallway.

Derek and I BOTH work full time throughout the week. We trade off dropping Annalynn off at daycare every morning, but most days I actually make it to daycare before he does. He works on “the other side of the bridge” which in Tampa terms means “really far away” and “crazy traffic.” He actually drives by my office on his way home, and even though he leaves a full 30 minutes before I do, I’m usually turning on the main highway before he’s even reached the light at my building. We looked at daycares closer to my office, but I either hated them, the closer location actually would not have saved us any time (closer doesn’t always mean faster, plus getting off the toll road and back on is a pain in the butt and would cost an extra $1 in tolls everyday!), or they were overall more money. The daycare we’re at now has the latest pick-up time (6:30pm) of any of the daycares we looked at. I actually looked at some in-home daycares, but all of them had pick-up times at 5:30pm at the latest, which would have been impossible, even if the daycare was across the street from my office. I’m already technically leaving 30 minutes earlier than anyone else on my team.

Derek makes dinners most nights and he’s in charge of baths. We’re really good at tag teaming almost everything. I’m the one in charge of washing the bottles because I want to make sure they’re done. Derek is awesome, I love him with all my heart, and he’s really great at most things – but he tends to be one of those who says he’ll do something at night and then falls asleep on the couch before it gets done. I might not enjoy washing the bottles (but, I mean, who does?), but I would rather do them and make sure they’re done. So he gives the  baths, I wash bottles, and we both crash on the couch before 9pm.

Our life isn’t special. We’re new parents doing the best we can to make it work. Our struggles aren’t unique, but I know a lot of new parents can relate. I’m just trying to keep it as real as possible. Annalynn is happy, growing, and just a shining light to be around. For that, I am beyond thankful and it 100% makes everything worth it.

annalynn being cute

As far as breastfeeding/pumping go, I don’t plan to stop writing about either. For every one who hates reading about it, I’ve receive an email thanking me for the post or found my blog googling “pumping at work.”  In my opinion there’s not enough information out there about either subject, so the more I can put out there, the better. I will try to make sure every post that includes that subject will now have a disclaimer at the beginning. If you don’t want to read about it, then skip the post. Or feel free to continue to mock me/ question my sanity. Meh. Whatever works for you.

Finally, yes, I registered for a marathon. Crap. What am I thinking? Well, I’m thinking I’m in an exercise rut and I needed a goal. I’m thinking running is my therapy and right now I haven’t been getting much of it. I’m thinking the race isn’t until January and I don’t plan to start diving into training until September. I’m thinking that I’m probably really naïve thinking I’ll have a little more of life figured out by then. I’m thinking I can train by only running three days a week. I’m thinking that the full marathon was the same price as the half marathon, and I like getting the most for my money. I’m thinking at the very least I’ll walk the entire race and really hate myself afterwards. I’m thinking you may want to follow along as I attempt to figure it out (or fail miserably). I’m thinking I have a jogging stroller and can’t wait to actually jog with my daughter in it. I’m thinking I’m crazy and I’ve completely accepted that.

So, yeah, I had a couple of glasses of wine and registered. I’m really excited about it, even if I have no clue what I’m doing.

I owe you guys so many posts. In the drafts folder I have:

• Disney with a baby
  • Baby Led Weaning <- we started earlier this month with Annalynn
  • How I’m (finally!) fitting in some exercise (hint, it involves me becoming a night runner)
  • Annalynn’s 7 month updates (<- she’ll be 7 months on the 1st!)

If you’ve made it this far, I salute you! Thank you for reading and thank you for sticking with me as I figure out this thing called life.

1 Madeline April 28, 2016 at 10:22 am

It’s all about figuring out the new normal and getting into the groove of a new routine (which sounds easy when you type it out, but is ridiculously hard). The challenges of working full time, being a mom, pumping/nursing, and training for a marathon are definitely no joke, but it’s definitely do able (I ran a marathon a year pp and actually PR’d!). Training and running races factoring in things like pumping in your car before hand add in a whole new level of race day logistics! You’ll figure it out!

2 Sana April 28, 2016 at 10:24 am

🙂 Good Luck with the marathon! You have done it before 🙂 You will figure out a way to do it again. It just might be a little different.
Sana recently posted..The Most Miles I’ve Ever Run In A Week

3 Calla April 28, 2016 at 10:52 am

Your posts are always awesome and I am grateful you are willing to be so real and honest! As a woman who is about to embark on the baby making journey, your various posts over the years surrounding this topic have been great to read! My husband and I both will have to work so your posts about pumping, working, and just fitting it all in (or not sometimes!) are so helpful. You’re doing a great job and keep posting whatever you want!!!

4 Anne Weber-Falk April 28, 2016 at 11:09 am

I enjoy your blog. Keep doing what you’re doing. I come for the meals and the miles but I read the baby stuff too. Perhaps you could put all the baby stuff in a tab labeled as such so one would be forewarned.

5 Riley April 28, 2016 at 11:20 am

I’m totally confused. A few posts ago you’re sobbing about how hard your life is and how you’re drowning. Now everything is awesome and you even feel capable of training for a full marathon? Either your “the truth is” post wasn’t actually the truth, or you’re still drowning but pretending not to. I can’t help but think you’re making things harder for yourself (hello, marathon) because you think it’ll make you look better or feel like a super mom. Lots of people mentioned the possibility of PPD or PPA in the truth post – have you been checked? It seems like you’re setting yourself up for major burnout if you’re not careful and that’s not good for you and definitely not good for Annalynn. I hope that everything really IS going well, but if it is, stop complaining and count your blessings.

6 Susan April 28, 2016 at 11:23 am

Are you yourself a mom? We have up days and down days. Life is hard, but we also love it! She is being real- showing all of the emotions and sides of things. Kudos Meghann! Life is one big balancing act- and even bigger if you are a working mother!

7 Riley April 28, 2016 at 11:30 am

Yep. Working, pumping, running mom. And I DONT feel like I’m drowning most days now that I’ve got a handle on my PPA. But I made the changes that needed to be made in order to regain my sanity rather than letting it take control of me. I heard a lot of my old self in her truth post which is why I see some red flags for PPD/PPA. There nothing shameful about it but it should be addressed if that’s what’s going on.

8 Katy April 28, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I 100% agree with this.

9 Meghann April 28, 2016 at 11:29 am

I think you’re missing the point of this post, and my previous post. My “Truth” post was the truth, but after reading the comments I realized people were making conclusions that were inaccurate so I wanted to address them in this post. I’m a mom, of course I’m completely overwhelmed at all times, I think that’s part of being a parent (and that was the point of the truth post). As people pointed out in my previous post, any mom who isn’t completely overwhelmed is lying. As I mentioned above, the marathon I registered for isn’t until January. I’m completely prepared to fail at it, but I want to at least try and don’t plan to start training until September. However, I agree about the burnout, which is why I’m giving myself plenty of grace in the process.

10 Jill April 28, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Just a note on the light at the end of the tunnel…my kiddo is 3 years old now, and I think the “ohmygodwhatishappening” feelings started to fade around the 6 month mark, and I definitely felt like I had a handle on things after about a year. It’s different for everyone, and we all have challenges (and some are WAY more serious than others, of course), but I promise you will not ALWAYS feel overwhelmed.

p.s. my husband is also of the “I’ll get to it…eventually” variety. I do find it helpful to give very specific, exact instructions, if I am asking him for help. But if you and Derek have already worked out a balance of managing baby and life stuff, then that is awesome 🙂

11 Erin April 29, 2016 at 9:39 am

I guess this is what has been frustrating about reading a lot of both these posts and the comment threads that result from them – there seems to be a default of being a mom = being totally overwhelmed and a hot mess. I’m a mom too with a son the same age as Annalynn, and honestly, I don’t really relate with any of this. Maybe I’m not seeking the camaraderie and validation on the internet, and save these sorts of conversations for my mom friends, but I just don’t get the merit in the “OMG I’m an overwhelmed mom, it’s soo hard but I love it soo much.” It just seems really try-hard. Parenting is challenging, but so are a lot of other areas in life.

12 Riley April 29, 2016 at 6:11 pm

EXACTLY. If parenting was as hard as bloggers like this make out, no one would ever have more than 1 kid. It’s this weird “my life is so much busier/harder than yours” mommy martyr thing I can’t get behind. Unless you’re struggling with a health issue or your baby is, it shouldn’t be THAT hard. And if it is, make some changes instead of complaining about the same shit every day.

13 DD April 29, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Must you perpetuate the Mommy Wars by casting judgement on someone else’s life?Being a mom is crazy difficult and the last thing Meghann needs is people telling her what a bad job she is doing at blogging (and living). You and all of the other haters can take your negativity elsewhere, and those of us who can relate will keep on reading!

14 Melissa April 29, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Agreed, while I am all for hearing stories from others, I do not think that everyone is overwhelmed all the time. There are certainly times, where, as a mom of a 5 month old, I feel overwhelmed, but it certainly isn’t the theme of my new mommy-hood, and I think if you are, something needs to change. I am defiantly not completely overwhelmed, and that is not a lie. Just like all parts of life, when things change or get tough, we find a way to deal with them. Life is never easy peasy, but it’s always worth it!

15 Riley April 29, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Honey, it is NOT a part of parenting to feel overwhelmed at all times. Sometimes? No question. But ALL the time? You need to realize how unhealthy that is and reach out for help. Like actually, real life help.

16 Allison April 28, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Did you read her post? She didn’t say everything was awesome, she was just explaining how things are. Everyone (except maybe) has good days and bad days. Every working parent with a baby knows that things are difficult. I don’t see her complaining at all, just showing that her life, like everyone’s, isn’t perfect.

17 Riley April 28, 2016 at 11:25 am

Like this statement: “I’m thinking at the very least I’ll walk the entire race and really hate myself after” is NOT healthy. Why would you do that to yourself?

18 J April 28, 2016 at 11:27 am

I have been reading you since you were graduatemeghann and I don’t believe I’ve ever commented. For whatever reason, I just don’t comment on blogs and for whatever other reason, today I feel compelled to reach out to you specifically just to say good job and thank you for everything. That is all.

19 Lindsay April 28, 2016 at 11:30 am

I’ve always enjoyed your blog, Meghann. I appreciate that you write about real stuff going on in your life instead of forcing content that isn’t for you. I’m excited to read about your journey to your next marathon and to see you figure out your new normal. It’s not easy for anyone, thanks for being brave enough to share!

20 Meagan Leanne April 28, 2016 at 11:58 am

I can’t imagine how crazy and busy your life must be! I struggle to get through the working and and working balance and I don’t even have a baby. Awesome on signing up for the marathon! Sometimes it takes solidifying that goal to get you on your way.
Meagan Leanne recently posted..Biking the BWI Trail Loop

21 Meagan Leanne April 28, 2016 at 11:59 am

working and working OUT balance***
Meagan Leanne recently posted..Biking the BWI Trail Loop

22 Kelly April 28, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Life is tough for you right now. You have a lot of eggs in your basket. All you can really do is make the most of it and keep your head above water. Totally get that. You don’t owe anyone on the interwebs anything. So keep doing what you’re doing because a majority of your readers like that or they wouldn’t keep reading.

I think the marathon goal is a good goal. I have to have a race on the calendar to get myself out of a rut sometimes too. Yes training will be hard, yes you will have 30 other things calling to you when you need to get in a training run, but you can do it. And you could most likely always drop down to a half if it comes to that. But having goals isn’t a bad thing!

Don’t beat yourself up, you’re doing fine. This will all get easier over time. It won’t be this crazy forever. You can do it.

23 Abby April 28, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I’ve read your blog for years and love it. I am so glad you’re continuing to blog despite so many time constraints. Long- time readers enjoy following your journey, seeing how others in a similar situation get through everything, and knowing they aren’t alone. Frankly, I love reading this type of post more than any other, especially given the commercialism of so many blogs. Thanks for allowing us to continue following your life!

24 Kelly April 28, 2016 at 12:19 pm

It’s easy to pick other people apart and to over analyze words on a screen. There is genuine concern for someone and then there is nit picking. I hope you’re able to decipher those comments and move forward in the way that’s best for you. I wouldn’t apologize or put a disclaimer on posts. SO many blogs have changed over the years, and if they don’t like it, they don’t have to read it. I’m a single gal, without children, and quite frankly, I’m not into running. BUT, I’ve been reading for almost eight years (maybe more) now. So…it’s just personal preference and what you want to continue to strain your eyes over and fill your feed with. It’s the ebb and flow of the Internet – the ebb and flow of life. Some of your readers expect way too much out of one single person, one single blogger, one single stranger.

25 Kelly April 28, 2016 at 12:24 pm

But, truly, Meghann, don’t apologize or feel like you need to put disclaimers. It’s letting them make you feel guilty for something doesn’t need to make you feel guilty. This is your space, and it’s shameful anyone would come in and tell you what’s acceptable or not. Imagine if someone did that at your home?! Just keep doing you and loving on your baby and working hard. It’s all about the journey.

26 Jordan April 28, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I’ve never commented on your blog before, but this was a great post Meghann. I’ve loved all of your posts lately. Even though I don’t have children, it is interesting to see how your life changes after having a baby. It is nice to read real insight into what that is like, especially from someone who likes being active.

27 Cara April 28, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I’m with the others (well the good ones, lol) on don’t apologize or put disclaimers on! This is YOUR blog for pete’s sake. I love your posts and your honesty, and YAY to signing up for a marathon!!!
Cara recently posted..Wedding Weekend

28 Sarah April 28, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I don’t normally post…. BUT I LOVE YOUR BLOG, your messages, everything that you are about! Instead of pretending to be supermom (don’t mean that in a bad way) you admit that you are a human and that life has it’s ups and downs! Be VERY proud of yourself for admitting that, putting yourself out there AND overall just being you! Kuddos!

29 Julie April 28, 2016 at 1:16 pm

you’re awesome! xo

30 Kate April 28, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for this, Meghann. I really like that you’re telling it like it is without being negative about your husband or your child like so many bloggers out there are.

We also have housekeeping once a month and we definitely have to vacuum a lot of dog hair in between!

31 Theresa April 28, 2016 at 1:31 pm

A great group I found to support running is a free group called Mom’s Run This Town. They are a running group that has local chapters across the country. It is really a bunch of women supporting each other as women and runners. My local group plans weekly runs and does races/events together. I am sure every chapter is different. It is definitely worth looking up to see if there is a chapter in your area.

Good luck with everything. You are doing an amazing job. As a fellow mom/full time worker I know how hard it can be.

32 Meghann April 28, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Yes! There’s a group in Tampa I plan to get in contact with. I’ve heard good things.

33 Theresa April 28, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I forgot the link. http://momsrunthistown.com

34 Heather Martin April 28, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I run a group in Trinity and there are others in the area. Moms run this town is great!

35 Madeline April 28, 2016 at 2:19 pm

if you aren’t already, there is a MRTT- running while pregnant/nursing FB group that was super helpful!

36 Theresa April 28, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Awesome. I love our group. I wish you the best.

37 Kirsten April 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Thank you so much for writing about being a mom and working and running and all the other details you share! I have a full-time career and plan/have to continue to work once we choose to have a family and your honesty about everything is so refreshing! Yes, it sounds scary and hard as hell, but thank you for keeping it real. All of the little details you include are actually a great reference for someday-to-be-moms who work full-time (like me) and have no idea how you’re supposed to coordinate a career with daycare, breastfeeding and everything else. Keep crushing it girl!!

38 Maddie April 28, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for your honesty! I’m so baffled as to why some people make it their life’s purpose to rip apart the specifics of a blog post from a blogger they profess to dislike. So many better ways to spend their time! I imagine you walk a fine line of wanting to ignore the angry comments but also defend yourself (as is your right).

I appreciate all that you do.

39 rachel April 28, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I have only been a mother for 6 months, but I have already learned there are some mom’s that will always be there to criticize and judge no matter what you do.

I hope you know that your blog and posts have been such a joy for me to read. I don’t have any mom-friends and you feel like one to me. My baby is one month younger than Annalynn and I check several times daily for your posts because I look forward to them so much. I love your authenticity. Sometimes you feel bad and you post it. Other days you feel better and you post that. I can’t imagine being brave enough to share what I’m going through then being subjected to such criticism by everyone who reads it!! I was shocked by how everyone piled on Derek on your big post. I guess that’s bloglife, but I definitely couldn’t do it. I’m hard enough on myself as it is and I don’t need other people subjecting me to their opinions. I’m sure if it was a real conversation as opposed to people hiding behind screens, they wouldn’t be so heartless.

I really look forward to all the other posts you mentioned. As I said before, your blog is a huge comfort to me and I appreciate what you deal with to put it out there.

40 Amanda April 28, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I never read the comments on your blog, but it always makes me mad to read a post from you that alludes to the fact that you got negative or judgmental comments. I love your blog!! You’re keeping it real and blogging about your life and what is working for you. If people don’t like that, they can stop reading your blog. Do I enjoy the posts about breastfeeding? Meh, not so much, but that’s just because it doesn’t relate to me right now. I don’t expect you to NOT blog about it! I just kind of skim those right now and then one day it will be relevant to me so I can go back and read them. And I think it’s GREAT that you signed up for a marathon!!!! Go you!!! Forget the haters! And please, please, please, if training gets super hard to fit into your life at the moment, please don’t feel like you failed or are proving the haters right. You can do it! Even if you have to walk more than you’d like. Everyone needs to stop putting others down and start supporting people! CRUSH IT!!!

41 Michelle Austin April 28, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Like some I have read, I rarely comment on any blogs and this is my first for yours. I am way past the baby years but look forward to everything you are writing about. I even miss you when I don’t have an email daily. Keep up with what you are doing. Like you said Annalynn is happy and healthy so you must be doing the most important thing right. No matter circumstances there is always a struggle with a newborn. The demands of them, the loss of identity you knew and then the new identity. It is ever changing. I think it will be exciting for you and for us readers to see how the marathon training pans out. No matter what know you are doing a wonderful job! I like to tell myself the naysayers are jealous and wish they could be as awesome as you are being!!

42 Susan M April 28, 2016 at 2:49 pm

I’m currently pregnant and wondering how my husband and I will figure things out when baby comes along, and what is a realistic expectation for time management during the workweek. I’m very curious when you wake up in the morning, get out the door with Annalynn and drop her at daycare, go to work, pick her up and get home, and what you have time for before she goes to bed at night. It sounds like you have a comparable commute to what we’re facing in DC, which without daycare drop off/pick up is 45mins – hour every day. How do you manage that?

43 Meghann April 28, 2016 at 3:02 pm

It’s probably time for another “day-in-the-life” post, but in the mornings my alarm goes off at 6:15 and I usually try to shower, prep bottles, and prep breakfast before I get Annalynn up at 7 (If she’s not already up – which sometimes happens). I change her diaper and get her dressed, then nurse her while I eat breakfast. After that I bring her to my room and my husband and I trade off entertaining her while we get dressed. We’re usually out the door by 8 and take turns dropping her off at daycare. I leave work at 5:30 and depending on traffic will make it to daycare before it closes at 6:30. We go straight home and I immediately nurse her. My husband usually starts dinner while I’m nursing and then we’ll play a little before dinner’s ready. Since we started BLW we now put her in her highchair and eat together as a family. She goes straight to the bath after dinner and then right to bed after that. Lately I’ve been taking my dog for a mile or two run/walk after I put Annalynn down and then wash bottles/ help clean the kitchen after that. I’m usually asleep by 9 (or well on my way). The schedule can vary day-to-day, but that’s the main gist of it.

44 Susan M April 28, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for this! It helps me get a little bit of a idea of what’s ahead.

45 Traci April 28, 2016 at 3:08 pm

It sounds like you and Derek make a great team. I just wanted to send you some positive vibes and an invisible pat on the back!
Traci recently posted..Organize Yo’ Space

46 [email protected] April 28, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Tomorrow is my last day of maternity leave. I am freaking out about what life is going to look like next weekend.
[email protected] recently posted..The Weekend Rabbit Hole

47 [email protected] April 28, 2016 at 3:11 pm

*week
[email protected] recently posted..The Weekend Rabbit Hole

48 Jessica April 29, 2016 at 6:37 am

You are going to be great! Yes, it will be hard and there will for sure be times that you feel like you are in over your head, but it gets better. Ignore any feelings of guilt – they don’t aerve any purpose except to bring you down. Soak up all of the last maternity leave snuggles, but know that the bond with your baby will get even stronger as you figure out your new normal. You are a great mom!

49 Nicole April 28, 2016 at 3:14 pm

As a mom in the same shoes you’re in, I appreciate your honesty and your posts and am pretty baffled by the criticism you’re getting. Your honesty keeps me reading (and i appreciate the breastfeeding posts!). I have a 6 month old and am signed up to run the New York marathon in November. I don’t think it’s crazy! I think signing up for that marathon is great for you and do not feel guilty about the time you’ll spend away from your family to train for it – that’s your time!

Keep it up. From a fellow mom with too many balls in the air, you’re doing the best you can and that is enough.
Nicole recently posted..Real Talk

50 Arie April 28, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Thank you for writting and thenk you for sharring, Someday i hope to be a mother and hope to breastfeed. There are not enough info on breast feeding at work and i hope to have your info to re-read and to say to myself and others, yes its hard work to be a full time mom and work and life but I CAN do it!

51 Molly April 28, 2016 at 3:51 pm

You’re doing awesome.

52 Kate April 28, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I was planning to exclusively breast feed, then my daughter was born with a cleft palate… so she could only use specialty bottles. She just turned 9 months – and the Dr. Brown bottle sterilizer has been AMAZING! It does 6 bottles in about 15 minutes. Just pop them in at night and in 15 minutes you are ready to go!

53 Reenie April 28, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Meghann, I think you and Derek are doing a awesome job and I love how honest you are. Thx for keeping it real and not changing your blog and what you write about for any of your negative commenters.

xo

54 Monica April 28, 2016 at 5:22 pm

The transition to motherhood is very difficult, even when you are thrilled (as you are!) to be a mom. I applaud you for being real and you just keep posting whatever the heck you want and as little/much as you want! I had my third nine months ago and it’s been the most stressful nine months of my life (and I was no lazy butt before having kids), but it’s all a time and a season. Things get better so gradually, you don’t even realize they are until they’re suddenly better! Good luck, girl. Keep your chin up. PS: I’ve done BLW with all three of mine–love it. I recently wrote a post on it, if that’s helpful for you to check it out: http://www.aboutprogress.com/2016/02/my-experience-with-baby-led-weaning.html

55 Heather Martin April 28, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Good for you for signing up for the marathon. I did my first marathon at Disney when my first baby was 14 months and I was exclusively breastfeeding. It was such a great thing for me to have some time to myself each week to train and seeing my baby at the end of the race was the best! You’ll be awesome! You’re a veteran marathoner and it will be a good thing for everyone! Good luck and enjoy!

56 Janet April 28, 2016 at 10:46 pm

As a reader who went through this routine many years ago, I feel that you’re doing a great job.
Don’t let your readers assume they could do better or know more- their advice is great and people learn from seeing their ideas or suggestions, but it’s you, Derek and Annalynn who will find a way through this. If a comment or article is harsh- stop reading and move to a positive suggestion.
Good luck!!!

57 Jess April 29, 2016 at 12:08 am

You are awesome and don’t feel as though you need to explain yourself. Haters gonna hate, but that is a reflection of them and not you! Go you!
Jess recently posted..My Advice for Busy Mums trying to keep fit

58 Liz April 29, 2016 at 1:35 am

You are rocking it, mama! I am a stay-at-home-mom and I still feel like I can barely keep my head above water sometimes, so you seem like Superwoman to me! I admire that you are working so hard to continue breastfeeding Annalynn. Cheers to your success with that! And it is great that you are putting your story out there to encourage other moms who are trying to make pumping work!

59 Meghan Weller April 29, 2016 at 7:37 am

Love Love Love Love the honesty you share on your blog. It makes me look up to and respect you even more then I already did!! Thank you for never sugar coating anything and being upfront with the struggles that EVERYONE faces!! You are such an inspiration!!

Best of luck with marathon training!! I know you will kill it. 🙂

60 Maria D April 29, 2016 at 9:19 am

You’re doing great. Please ignore the negativity. PS — Your daughter is adorable!

61 Janay April 29, 2016 at 10:10 am

Amen, sister! 🙂

62 CaitlinHTP April 29, 2016 at 10:36 am

You are cray cray for this marathon thing but I think you will enjoy it. I bet a lot of your stress comes from feeling like there’s no time for you between annalynn stuff and work. So maybe this will motivate you to carve out the time? I always felt differently about training with kids after each race… Some I loved having “the reason” and other times the commitment really stressed me out. Sometimes it was both feelings during training too ? I bet if you don’t put time pressure on yourself, you will have a blast. Your body knows the distance. Heck, I just ran a half with zero training and still had a good time! Hah. Keep your chin up, pal.

63 CaitlinHTP April 29, 2016 at 10:39 am

That was typed while nursing so it’s full of all the mistakes. ? I’m sure you catch my drift.

64 gina (fitnessista) April 29, 2016 at 1:18 pm

i just wanted to say that i think you’re a rock star. being a mom is hard and wonderful no matter what your situation is. you and derek are doing a great job. hang in there, friend. <3

65 Kath April 29, 2016 at 1:24 pm

You are doing awesome, and it gets so, so, so much easier when they can talk! Hang in there love!

66 Sarah April 29, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Some of the comments here are intense! I’m glad you are still blogging and enjoy reading. Please keep writing about breastfeeding and working and pumping. I’m done but I’m always sending real references to girlfriends. As for the bottle washing…. We were the same. It was my domain (chosen). I recently saw a $14 product by Boon that I swear will be the first thing I purchase for any future babies. It’s like a mini pressure washer guaranteed to power scrub the crevices and I bet it would have saved me so much time each night! Best! http://m.target.com/p/boon-suds-bottle-washer/-/A-16728485

67 JustMe April 29, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Two people working full-time, once-a-month-cleaner and house is already topsy-turvy the next day: Why not get a cleaner more frequently?

68 Angela Baker April 29, 2016 at 3:24 pm

For the record I love the mom life posts. Especially the ones on working & pumping/breastfeeding. I went back to work from maternity leave a couple of weeks ago and actually went back and re-read those posts for reference/moral support.

69 Emily April 29, 2016 at 10:16 pm

You are awesome. Throwing that out there first.

I’m a working mom too, and I totally feel how there are just not enough hours in the day to give your best to everyone, and that perma-tired feeling just won’t quit! When I returned back to work after maternity leave, my boss knowingly acknowledged, “you never feel you’re doing enough at home, and you never feel like you’re doing enough at work.” It’s so tough, and you are rocking it by just putting one foot in front of the other and soldering on another day.

And for the less than helpful comments, write what you need to write about, and you will connect with the people who need to hear it! For those that share the camp with you, it’s wonderful to hear the solidarity!
Emily recently posted..Wednesday’s Eats and Squish Embarks on an Employment Adventure

70 Trish April 30, 2016 at 5:53 am

I ran a marathon about 9 months pp and I had so much fun! My training was not the best (or I thought at the time but it ended up being what I needed) and ended up being my 3rd fastest time. Plus my husband was on the course with my son about every 5 miles so it was fun getting to see him. What I do not recommend: I ran in with my son which their was no point after I crossed the finish line to give my son back to my husband so I had to carry him through pictures, medals, finisher shirts, bag dropoff and marathon lunch until I could get to family meeting like 45 minutes later.

71 Claire April 30, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I just have to say I’m in awe of you! You are so normal and relatable and it comes across in your blog beautifully, which is why I’ve been reading since 2010 (a year before I graduated from FSU!) I think you are doing an amazing job and your schedule sounds TOUGH–so like I said earlier I’m in awe of how you do it. I’m barely making it through my day and I live relatively close to work and am only responsible for myself. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that you are doing an amazing job and I’m so sorry that it’s tough right now. Keep doing what you’re doing! <3

72 Kristin April 30, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Now I’m not a mom but I did just run my first marathon last weekend only training 3 days a week. Might not be the fastest method but totally doable!

73 Kerry April 30, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I am a new mom with a 5 month old. It’s the most overwhelming, amazing experience of my life so far! I have trained for a marathon (even PR’d) running 3 days a week. Email me if you want a training plan, I followed Run Less, Run Faster by Runner’s World. I did a few on that plan pre-baby and one post. It’s tough, but you can do it. Plus she will be older! It was great having a goal, as mothers, we tend to ourselves last. Hang in there and give yourself the grace you give others!

74 Sara April 30, 2016 at 9:51 pm

You’re great mom and I love your blog!
Sara recently posted..Allison – 8 Month Update

75 Kristen May 3, 2016 at 10:22 am

My DH and I also work full time outside the house. And, honestly, I didn’t exercise until my twins were nearly two. of course, I walked a lot and did some hikes on the weekends and stuff like that, but I just couldn’t figure out how to fit it all in. Once they reached about two, everything got easier — I wasn’t making special meals for them all the time, they weren’t going through as many outfits each day, so there was less laundry, etc…. I don’t regret waiting that long to get back into it. Little ones change so much during those first two years. I felt like I missed so much at work, I didn’t want to miss out on any more time with them.
And with the house, I remember our next door neighbor sucking in his breath — there was stuff everywhere — especially with twins in a then 1200 square foot house, it was just so tough to keep under control.
But life passes in a flash, and I have been exercising for 9 solid years. Though I’ve never run a marathon (don’t want to spend 4 hours away from them on a weekend), I’ve run plenty of half marathons, and I think it is good for parents to have their own hobbies.
Do what works for you, not what you think you should be doing.

76 Amanda May 7, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I trained for 2 full marathons running 3 days a week. Totally doable and actually I recommend it! I haven’t once had a serious injury. You’ve got this!
Amanda recently posted..Currently May