Making It Work

by Meghann on April 11, 2016

Whoa. What a week.

My feet ache, my back aches, and I’m basically a walking zombie, but I officially survived working the largest event of our season and I’m happy to report back it was a major success. Kudos to the fabulous race director and our crew for knocking it out of the park.

It was the first large event I’ve worked since Annalynn was born and, I have to say, it was definitely an adventure. I thought working an event was tough while pregnant, but being pregnant has nothing on a being a breastfeeding/pumping mom of an infant. At least with a belly people are sympathetic and really understanding. With no baby around, the logistics of working an outdoor event for 12+ hour days, four days in a row, made pumping really fun.

I really had no pumping plans before the weekend started, only that I knew I was determined to do it. So I made sure the battery pack for my pump was full Thursday morning and stuck to my guns. That meant pumping in the back of rentals trucks, on the floor of a running store during set-up, and while answering athlete questions while working registration.

I really wish I had thought to take some photos (because looking back I feel pretty bad ass about it), but if I was too busy to duck out for 20 minutes to pump in private, then I was also too busy to get a photo of the process.

So how was I able to pump so openly? With the assistance of a shawl that draped over my shoulders and acted like a cover. Thankfully it was an all-female event and everyone was super understanding. They either assumed I was feeding a baby under my shawl, or had their own pumping stories to share. One grandmother even offered to volunteer while I pumped because her daughter had just finished breastfeeding her grandbaby and she knew how important it was. I even had the chance to educate a few men on how pumping works, which they were completely fascinated by. #normalizebreastfeeding #normalizepumping

By the end of the event I had managed to produce enough milk for my baby while doing everything that needed to be done on site. I’d call that a success. Was it ideal? No. But you gotta do what ya gotta do to make it work.

Derek was on his own with Annalynn all weekend and did a fabulous job being the amazing dad he is. They went to the aquarium on Friday, stayed in their PJs all day on Saturday, and he gave Annalynn her first middle-of-the-night bottle Sunday morning when I had to be out of the house at 3am (she usually wakes to eat at 4am). It was an all-out daddy/daughter weekend and they both loved it.

Since I missed spending the weekend with my baby, I’ve been soaking up my Annalynn time today. You can’t tell by the photo, but Annalynn LOVED the swing at the park.

12973031_10107481200975123_2497975263716083559_o

We had Annalynn’s 6 month photos done last weekend and I just received all of the proofs today. They are gorgeous. Once again, thank you to Jaylin Photography for taking the fabulous photos. I still can’t believe my girl is half a year old!

a-6monthssession-3 a-6monthssession-8 a-6monthssession-12 a-6monthssession-22 a-6monthssession-25 a-6monthssession-30

a-6monthssession-34 a-6monthssession-37 a-6monthssession-41

1 Maryz April 11, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Adorable!

2 Lesley April 11, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I started reading your blog years ago when I was overweight, new to running and was looking for motivation/inspiration. Your posts seemed honest, encouraging, transparent, and often funny. I often started my day by reading your latest post as I ate breakfast, right before I’d hit the gym or go for a run. As a long-time reader and someone who was once inspired/motivated/encouraged by you, I’ve got to tell you, this post is disappointing – and the blog has been that way for a while.
When I saw your title “Making It Work”, I thought this might be a post about making running (you are a Brooks Ambassador, etc.), swimming, biking, the gym, healthy eating, fitness in general and such work while balancing life with a baby. But no, another post about your ability to breastfeed.

Don’t get me wrong, I support breastfeeding. I also support feeding your baby with what works for them. I nursed one of my sons and my other had formula. I won’t discredit any mother who chooses either. You lead this post with telling your readers about how busy your Iron Girl event was. It reads as if you may take us readers on a journey through your day at the event. Again, its about pumping.

The thing that really struck me is you statement, “being pregnant has nothing on a being a breastfeeding/pumping mom of an infant.” I had to re-read that several times considering your fertility struggle. Your statement actually sums up what your blog’s tone has been for the past 6 months. It is one thing to incorporate slices of your pregnancy/motherhood/nursing/pumping into your posts, given the genre of your blog. But if your blog is going to continue to be an outlet for you to pat yourself on the back because you can pump/nurse then consider becoming a mommy blogger. Your readers brought you money, endorsements, a name in the blogging world – the least you could do is warn us that you are changing the tone of your blog.

I know that motherhood changes everything in your life. And, I know you want to share that with your readers. But, mix it up a bit. Throw in a recipe (not sponsored by #blueapron but perhaps a carrot dog or overnight oats), tell us what your race plans are (clearly you aren’t giving it up if you are accepting sponsorships), or let us know how you juggle your larger family with living a healthy lifestyle. This breastfeeding/pumping monologue that has become your blog comes across as nothing more than you overcompensating for something.

I am hoping that soon you will break things up a bit or let go of your HLB past and become a mom blogger because this blog is suffering from an identity crisis.

3 Em April 11, 2016 at 8:54 pm

No one is forcing you to read this blog. Leave and take your negative comments with you.

4 Lesley April 12, 2016 at 11:51 am

Maturity, right there. Constructive criticism and negativity are 2 different things. Adults should be able to tell the difference and handle it.

5 TJ April 11, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Lesley- you took the words right out of my mouth.

6 Katy April 11, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Thank you for saying what so many of us are thinking/feeling! AMEN!

(but please, no more carrot-dogs!)

7 Lesley April 11, 2016 at 9:47 pm

I wouldn’t bother saying anything if I didn’t at one time like this blog. I gained a lot of insight and motivation at one point and have hoped that things would get back to a “new normal’ around here. I couldn’t take it anymore after reading the title & first paragraph thinking this post would be about “meals” or “miles” but once again the breastfeeding monologue continues and has NOTHING to do with the title or leading paragraph. You are welcome, Katy! I agree about the carrot dog but goodness it’s better than the blue apron “sponsored conversation”. Again, another disappointing, misleading topic on this blog. You think you are getting a recipe but instead it’s “try this product with my special code that I got for free/discounted.” I’d love to read one product review that a blogger found to be mediocre or where they said the product just plain sucked!
Lesley recently posted..January 2016 Goals

8 Heather April 12, 2016 at 9:48 am

I kind of have to agree. I’ve always loved this blog — it’s the only authentic one out of all the HLBs. But even as a new mom myself, I can’t help but cringe a little when reading all of the breast feeding posts. I feel like it comes across as really smug.

I get that it is challenging to pump (I know, I’ve been there) and that you love feeding your baby girl the best way you can and that you rock it, but not everyone is so lucky. I had some shitty circumstances and because of that, I was only able to exclusively pump for 2 months and then had to switch to just formula.

As a new mom, I love reading about your journey, and I hope you do continue posting about motherhood and juggling that with all other things in life, but the tone of some of these posts in relation to breastfeeding is just rubbing me the wrong way. I also feel like its overcompensation on some part — is it because you didn’t have the birth you had hoped for? BTW, I also had a c-section, so I totally get it… but please, try to change the tone a bit so it doesn’t come across as so smug.

Still love your blog!

9 Brianna April 12, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Agree with all of this! I am a new mom and a huge breastfeeding advocate (and regularly pump at work), but all the details about pumping are unnecessary-it does come off as smug! Not sure what point you are trying to make about it either? I don’t mind the motherhood posts in general because I’m at that stage too and can relate but we really don’t need all the pumping details every post! Lovely pictures by the way 🙂

10 Jessica April 11, 2016 at 9:44 pm

I also agree. I’ve been a reader for years but I’m not sure I will continue to follow. It’s great that you have been able to breastfeed with such success but its overkill at this point. Breastfeeding in front of participants while you are working? Really?

11 Janie April 11, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Seriously. What’s the purpose of this point? You’re just alienating readers.

12 Rachel April 12, 2016 at 11:23 am

I agree with Lesley.

I think this is my first time commenting on your blog, Meghann. I have always found you genuine and relatable. I admire that you have continued to blog even with a job and a baby keeping you busy. Most bloggers who I have read for years (Kerf, DG, HTP, PBF) no longer work a regular job so my interest in their blog has waned over the years because I just can’t relate to their lifestyles anymore. I respect the fact that you have candidly written about working through a pregnancy, going back to work, putting your sweet baby in childcare, etc. because so many of us go through the same emotions and have the same struggles.

I understand the all-consuming commitment that breastfeeding becomes when you have a child. I am a breastfeeding mother with a full time job as well, and it is challenging, but so are many aspects of motherhood: balancing nap schedules on the weekends when we want to get outside and enjoy the spring weather, the guilt that comes with postponing day care pickup for 30 min to get a quick run in after work, how priorities are constantly changing as we balance life/work/fitness, finding the motivation to cook a quick and healthy meal at the end of a work day. These are the types of things that I would be interested to read about in your blog. You breastfeed and then pump breastmilk when you aren’t around your baby. We get that but the more you try to “normalize” it, the more it feels like you are shoving it in our faces for validation. For the record, pumping in public does not make you badass. I cringe anytime it is brought up because it seems to be the general theme of your blog since your baby was born.

13 Shannon April 12, 2016 at 7:46 pm

I have to agree with this comment and I do feel that it’s kindly worded and constructive. There are so many issues with “mommy wars” and women needing to overcome feelings of superiority with one another. This post does come off as really boasty – I get being proud, but saying that you’re working harder than a pregnant woman is tough to read. I’m currently 38 weeks pregnant and I have a 2 year old and I have to admit, it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. That being said, I can’t say it’s harder than the work anyone else I know is doing with their homes/lives/families. Everyone has his/her own struggles. I have a friend that is a stay at home mom with 4 kids and breastfeeding two of them. She’s one of my biggest heroes! I have no idea how she does it and she inspires me that my problems and hardships will be fine ?.
I chose to stop pumping/BF with my first child because I was obsessed with it and it was all I thought about. I chose to stop because it was becoming an issue with my personal relationships and interfering with my bonding with my daughter. Hindsight, it was the best decision I could have made for my family… I am hopeful that this time around goes better, but the reality is that there are many ways to provide healthy nutrition to a baby.
I’m also a female manager and when my employees need private space to pump, I see it as my responsibility to provide it. For their comfort and for the comfort of all other employees at our place of business, I see providing them with privacy as a priority. Being more vocal at your place of work about accommodations might pave the way for other pumping employees at your company.
Finally, I like your blog and will keep reading it – maybe going to mommy blogger route is a good option!!! I think it’s so admirable that you’ve been so open about your fertility struggles, your pregnancy, and your post partum

14 Meredith April 11, 2016 at 8:51 pm

You are awesome and so are all of your posts. Keep posting about breastfeeding and pumping and motherhood and anything that you want post about. It’s your blog. 🙂
Annalynn is beautiful, she looks just like you!

15 Jenn April 11, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I’m a full time working and pumping mom, so I definitely get why you are proud of yourself and want to normalize pumping. However, even I was surprised to see another post about pumping! i don’t get why it has to be such a big deal? Feed your kid how you can and want to. Maybe give a tip if you’ve discovered something that worked well (refrigerating pump parts for instance), but what is the point of this post?

16 Jen April 12, 2016 at 9:29 am

I agree. You, and millions of us, are mothers who breastfeed and pump…many of us while working full-time jobs away from the home. While it is a wonderful thing (as is any way a baby is being nourished), I certainly do not feel the need to go on and on about it and pat myself on the back. I really do think you may enjoy being a mommy blogger. Posts like these, and other, suit a different audience sometimes.

On a different note, the pictures are beautiful.

17 Sasha April 11, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I almost did a spit take at your mention of pumping at the registration desk while responding to the athletes’ questions…what?! I’ve got a little one myself so I understand the need to pump, I really do, but there is absolutely a place and time. I have trouble believing if your race director witnessed this he/she didn’t ask you to take a break to finish in a private place. I cannot begin to imagine the experience of the participants – paying that much $$$ to listen to a race employee wax poetic about pumping while I just want to know where the portapotties are. Gross…not the pumping, but your complete ignorance of the people around you and how #momlife apparently trumps basic social conventions.

18 Janie April 11, 2016 at 11:58 pm

FYI using formula once in a while won’t hurt your kid or diminish your supply. And it wouldn’t weird our customers (I’m all for normalizing breastfeeding but pumping while dealing with customers is just awkward. And kind of rude, tbh.) What are you trying to prove? And who are you proving it to? THAT would actually be an interesting topic for a post.

19 Rachel April 12, 2016 at 4:20 pm

FYI you have NO idea if using formula once will hurt Annalynn. Formula bothers a LOT of babies.

20 Cat April 16, 2016 at 1:03 pm

This! My child had allergies to milk, nuts, eggs, dairy and wheat that he eventually grew out of as his immune system developed. I had to eat a very strict diet and he could not have formula. I stressed and stressed about pumping and finding places to pump while traveling for work. When people told me a bottle of formula wouldn’t hurt him, I knew they were telling me to allow myself a break, BUT a bottle of formula WOULD have hurt him. I always wanted to say something snarky, but usually managed to mumble something about health challenges and apologizing for creating a “problem”

21 Rachael April 12, 2016 at 1:49 am

My daughter is two weeks older than yours and I can’t imagine being away from her for a whole weekend, much less pump all weekend! She is breastfed but I live in Canada so I have a year of mat leave. I commend you for being so committed to breastfeeding that you made this work! It would be so easy to just make the switch to formula given your work situation, but you are perservering. I can understand others’ frustration with the tone of the blog changing – but I get it! Your whole life changes with a baby and your life literally revolves around breastfeeding. You can’t just skip an afternoon or a day without damaging your supply. The only way that women will understand is for us to keep talking about it, to help pave the way for new moms who wish to do the same.

I’ve been an avid reader for years and will continue to do so (especially since our lives seem to be following a similar path). Keep it up!! 🙂

22 Erika April 12, 2016 at 7:01 am

Actually, by six months you can skip a pump without damaging your supply. You may get engorged if you skip all day, but missing a pump at six months won’t hurt anything. I breastfed my kids for 2+ years and thought nothing of nursing in public, but I would NEVER have pumped in public. It’s a totally different thing. Normalize breastfeeding is about responding to your kid’s needs. Pumping has zero to do with that. Find a corner, pump in a car, find a quiet spot. I would be floored if I walked up to a person with two flanges attached to their breasts and the pump whirring away. Wow! Even all my hard core nursing friends have never pumped in public!

23 Marcey April 12, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Erika hit the nail on the head. It’s not about responding to your child’s needs in that moment which is what so much of the movement for normalizing breastfeeding is about. Just pump in private-enough is enough. I’m a nursing Mom and I just would never. Ya gotta chill with the pumping stuff. As others have said, you’re not even adding to the conversation, you’re just asking for head pats.

24 Marty April 12, 2016 at 8:21 am

Amen! I also love reading about your life with Annalynn and you are a badass mom for pumping in public. Do you!

25 Jennifer April 12, 2016 at 11:11 am

The fact that you think it’s “easy” to switch to formula shows how clueless you are. It was heartbreaking to have to switch and felt like I was failing because I wasn’t able to keep my supply up while pumping.

I don’t have anything to add to Meghann’s post. She’s allowed to be proud of what she’s doing. But don’t for a second think that every formula-feeding mom made the switch because it was the easier option. It was the toughest thing I had to do, and people like you make it even worse.

26 Beth April 12, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I have to say, Jennifer, that if switching to formula was the toughest thing you had to do then I hope you are thanking your lucky stars. There are moms out there with much more to worry or be sad about.
This all just reeks of misguided energy and naivety. How you feed your child is just one TINY part of parenting (that no one cares about as much as you do) and soley focusing on this is just boring. Meghann, I really hope your experience parenting that beautiful baby isn’t nearly as one-dimensional as what you are putting out here on the blog.

27 Rochelle April 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm

YES. If switching the formula is your hardest trial, count your blessings.

28 CaitlinHTP April 12, 2016 at 7:43 am

I love your blog ? I really look forward to it every Monday. It’s fun to see how other moms juggle things!

29 CaitlinHTP April 12, 2016 at 7:44 am

That was supposed to be I love your blog!!! Haha. I’m currently juggling a phone and a stroller.

30 elle April 12, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I miss you! Wait, that sounds weird because I didn’t actually know you. But I miss your blog and hope that you are good and happy and all of that.

31 CaitlinHTP April 12, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Hi Elle 🙂 Thanks for being so sweet!

32 Reenie April 13, 2016 at 11:22 am

I miss you too Caitlin!! I hope all is well with you, The Husband, and the kiddos. xo

Once again, I will never understand the negative comments and “suggestions” on how and what a blogger should blog about. Y’all do know that you don’t have to read Meghann’s blog don’t you? If you don’t like a topic she is blogging about, just don’t read it. It’s pretty simple. . Just my opinion.

Meghann ~ the pics of Annalynn are adorable ~ especially love the Minnie Mouse and the pink tu-tu ones. 🙂

33 Lacey April 13, 2016 at 2:48 pm

How exactly does one know what a post is about without reading it? The title wasn’t “making PUMPING work”.

34 MJ April 12, 2016 at 8:34 am

That is one cute baby!

As for the making it work, I don’t pump/breastfeed anymore. I had lots of problems with breastfeeding from the start so I stopped at around 5ish months and, in my case, it was the best decision I ever made. I was still able to bond with my son and he is a healthy and happy little boy. However, I do think it’s great that you are making breastfeeding work no matter how difficult the circumstances. If there is one thing I’ve learned from being a mom is not to judge other moms. Everyone is doing the best they can given their particular situation. 🙂

35 Jax April 12, 2016 at 9:43 am

My kids are 11 and 6 & I still enjoy reading about breastfeeding/pumping and all the baby stuff. I have also been a reader for several years. I feel so happy for you & Derek! I love seeing how happy you are & how you are enjoying being a new Mama 🙂

36 Clara April 12, 2016 at 9:58 am

Meghan, I think what Lesley was trying to convey is that for long-term readers like us (I’ve been reading your blog for 5+ years!) we just miss some of the content that made us come in the first place. You could definitely write about being a mom because as a mom I know it does change your whole life, but maybe try to incorporate your fitness into that? Like, what workouts are safe after a c-section or how to get back into training? Otherwise, I guess just giving readers a heads up would be good. I know it’s your blog and you can do whatever you want–write about pumping or races or babies or clothes or shut it down altogether–and you seem to get a lot of fulfillment from your full time gig which is awesome. But it’s like walking into Barnes and Noble for a book and finding…tires. They have every right to sell tires. Some people need and like tires. But if they’re not going to be a bookstore anymore, I hope they let me know so I stop going there for books. I hope this doesn’t come off as unkind because I was a huge reader of your blog but it does just feel like this isn’t the space for me anymore…which is ok! It’s your life and your blog!

37 Clara April 12, 2016 at 11:00 am

Oh my gosh and I spelled your name wrong-Meghann! Sorry. 🙂

38 Christine April 12, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hi, Meghann. I don’t have kids nor do I plan on having any, but I’ve enjoyed watching you take the journey over the years: from all running all the time to your wedding to your pregnancy and now to your journey into motherhood. This is your blog and I think you should be able to make it into whatever you’d like. You’ve always written about your day-to-day experiences, so this doesn’t feel any different to me. No matter what happens to your readership, you’ll always have this as a journal of sorts, to go back to and “remember when.” Thanks for sharing with us!

39 Emily April 12, 2016 at 10:17 am

I have 5 month old twins, and also work FT, nursing and pumping. I have to agree with the previous comments. I used to love this blog, but lately it has become rather one-dimensional, all about BFing. I get that it’s all-consuming, but it does seem braggy. I’d love to see more posts on how you fit in cooking, squeeze exercise in, balance work/home life. I know I struggle hard with all of those things with being a new mom!

40 Jennifer April 12, 2016 at 11:13 am

I don’t see the big deal with pumping. You were covered and were just doing what you needed to do. It was a women’s event, and it sounds like your employer’s were fine with it and so were the guests. People like to get worked up over anything related to feeding your child. BLW already?!?! Pumping in public!?? Formula?!? Who cares. Your daughter is healthy and happy, and so are you.

41 Janie April 12, 2016 at 11:51 am

It’s just boring. I think that’s what it comes down to. Nobody cares that you pump except you. Time for a new topic.

42 Rachel April 12, 2016 at 4:18 pm

I actually care and find it interesting.

43 Janie April 12, 2016 at 11:54 am

To add to that – you posted some really beautiful pics of your baby but only a few people commented on that because the pumping stories are actually overshadowing your own kid. That seems like an eye opener to me, hopefully it will be one to you too…

44 Melissa April 14, 2016 at 11:04 pm

So, I felt the same way about the photos not being talked about and the pumping overshadowing it. However, I think that’s on the reader and not on Meghann. I was fortunate to have an employer that made pumping super easy for me. I can’t imagine doing a work week like this- 12+ hours/day for 4 days straight and so busy that you aren’t able to leave your post to pump— on an interrupted sleep schedule and while still pumping. Thanks for sharing your breastfeeding and pumping journey, Meghann! It’s not boring and I adore those photos of your gorgeous baby girl.

45 Sana April 12, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Beautiful pictures! I am so happy you are doing all the milestones. They are huge moments! I have no comments on the pumping. I don’t have a kid so I have nothing to add. If your boss is alright with it than no one else should have an issue. One thing I have learned from the working world, is know who pays you and always go in accordance/ touch base with them often about all issues that reflect your image at work.

46 Anne April 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm

AnnaLynn is precious! Beautiful pictures!

47 Mrs. B April 12, 2016 at 1:30 pm

She is sooo cute! Gosh I hate that you are getting such direct comments because I do enjoy your blog, but it is has taken a back seat to your life – And that is ok! But I think you have some decisions to make of should you continue or put the blog on hold/pause for a while. 🙂

Sometimes it is helpful to take a step back and refresh! I totally support BF but I was a little taken back by pumping infront of the “customer”. I think that is is borderline unprofessional and you should really think about that before doing it again. I would feel a bit awkward if I was someone checking in and would question the professionalism of the race team. Other than that, I think you did a great job making it work.

48 Rachel April 12, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Maybe we should all be a little bit more up in arms about the fact that Meghann “had” to pump in front of people instead of getting her legally required break period to pump? Why is everyone attacking Meghann when she’s doing the best she can despite her employer not doing what they should?

49 Mrs. B April 12, 2016 at 4:20 pm

So, I don’t think I was attacking her… at all… but I did provide my opinion on pumping in front of the customer. As I said, she is doing a great job of making it work!

50 Lesley April 12, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Because that’s for her to take to HR.

51 Lindsey April 13, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Whether or not she is legally entitled to a pumping break isn’t black and white. It depends on factors like the size of the company and whether she is hourly or salary. If there are fewer than 50 employees at Iron Girl and she is salary, she may not be entitled to that break.

52 Jill April 12, 2016 at 3:17 pm

I have to agree with the majority of the commenters. I’m a full time working mom of two young boys, and I got excited to read the title of this post “Making it Work”, and then disappointed that it was yet another pumping post. I breastfed/pumped for both of my boys, but you’ve really said all there is to say on the topic and it’s time to move on! It’s really not that fascinating 🙂 Since you are in a small minority of bloggers who actually have a “real” full-time job, I was hoping to see more of how you truly make it work! Did you start meal-planning? When do you do your grocery shopping? (sometimes I try to sneak it in on my lunch break!) When are you working out these days? (again for me, gotta love those lunch breaks and locker rooms at work) Since you had to work a 4 day event over the weekend, do you get any comp time that you can use to spend with Annalynn? Does day care still make you pay for those days? How is day care going? How is Annalynn doing with day care? (sometimes drop offs can be so hard!)
Just trying to say, those things would be far more interesting to me as a working mama than another post on pumping!

53 Rochelle April 12, 2016 at 5:16 pm

These are awesome suggestions. You’ve exhausted the breastfeeding/pumping topic. Time to focus your energy on something else!

54 Employment Lawyer April 12, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Is your employer not allowing you to take pumping breaks? I assume so given that you were pumping in front of customers. Know your rights. You are allowed break time and a place to pump during your work day. (If not, know that your employer may be upset with you for representing them as an unfriendly place for new mothers to work.)

55 Lindsey April 13, 2016 at 11:30 pm

As an employment lawyer, I assume you would know that she may not be legally entitled to a pumping break. It’s a crappy part of employment law, but if her company is too small or she is salaried, they might not have to give her the time.

56 Lawyer, too. April 14, 2016 at 12:19 pm

There’s no requirement that the company have more than 50 employees and there’s no requirement that an employee be an hourly employee. The Fair Labor Standards Act (and possibly state law — I don’t know Florida law) provides for unpaid breaks to express milk for up to a year after the baby is born. Lindsey, unless you are sure about something, I suggest you keep it to yourself.

57 Rochelle April 12, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Maybe take a page out of Peanut Butter Fingers blog. She also breastfeed a and pumps when she needs to, but it’s a very minor part of her blog conversations. She’s still writing for her original audience and has now seamlessly transitioned into writing for the mom crowd too. She shares her struggles and successes in different areas of parenting – not just feeding. Or maybe you should just take a break from the blog until you figure out how to juggle life and work without getting obsessive about pumping/breastfeeding?

58 Josie April 12, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Meg – Enougn with the breastfeeding! I like reading you about running and fitting it into your busy life.

59 Stacey April 12, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I, too, am a long time follower of your blog (from the Graduate Meghann days!). My own blog sucks so I really shouldn’t say anything. You’ve managed to create a following with your’s and I get it… you write about what’s important to you now, and breastfeeding/pumping is pretty much #1. Nothing wrong with that. If I were you, I’d be very proud of what I created.
I have to jump on the “sounds like bragging” bandwagon a bit, though. As someone who is currently going through infertility, reading post after post about how you are able to juggle pumping and working and being a mom and how awesome that is makes me… angry. But, that’s just me. Maybe I’m jealous. It’s all relative. It would be like if I said “Well, you don’t know what busy is! Try working 50 hour weeks, 24 hour shifts, going to grad school and trying to train!” or…”You think you’re infertile? Try living with it for years and years, shelling out thousands of dollars, and still not being close to having a baby. ” Like I said, it’s all relative. It’s not your job to coddle me. But, you can’t fault me for taking a break from reading your blog.
I hope you don’t get upset reading all these comments. Maybe you can get a new crop of readers with your new direction. Life ebbs and flows and you shouldn’t have to make excuses or apologize for writing about where your life is now. So you aren’t training hardcore, so what? It’ll come back, and when it does, I’ll be here to read about it 🙂
PS: Annalynn is gorgeous!

60 Casey April 12, 2016 at 8:07 pm

I gotta chime in here. When my first child was born, I nursed him exclusively and I was proud of it. I took evvvvvery opportunity to spout off about nursing, tips, output, blah blah blah. In forums and in real life. But you know what? That phase was over in the blink of an eye and then no one gave a crap what my baby ate his first year of life. My mom friends were on to new things! And suddenly I felt like a big part of my mom identity was gone. And I felt embarrassed and foolish for having acted like a smug know it all. And then when my second child was born? Terrible nurser! Talk about a reality check. Pumping feeling badass is something only you can decide for yourself, but this does absolutely nothing to normalize breastfeeding.

61 CJ April 12, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Have to admit, as a long time reader, I have checked in much less frequently since you got pregnant with AnnaLynn. For someone who had a miscarriage, you turned into the most smug pregnant woman, which was frustrating to me while I went through my own baby loss. I tried being a regular reader again after she was born, but it seems like every other post is about breastfeeding or pumping. I breastfed four children, I’m very supportive of nursing moms. But please, listen to your readers and stop.

Also, I would be beyond horrified if any of my employees were pumping, even under a cover, in front of customers. If you want to pump in public, do it on your own time. When you represent a company to the public, pumping while working is just unprofessional.

62 Kim April 13, 2016 at 9:14 am

Bad-ass!

63 Jayme April 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I feel badly for you that your company wouldn’t allow you space/time to pump in private. Shame on them and good for you for making it work regardless.

64 Susan April 13, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Meghann, beautiful pictures of Annalynn! I am so sick of moms/women berating other moms/women. We are just so hard on each other. Good grief… what happened to kindness in this world? Behind a computer screen no one thinks before they speak (write) anymore. I suppose these ladies do not live by “Do unto others as you wish to have done upon you…”

Megan, do what you need to do in your life and write about whatever you want to write about on your blog. I commend your honesty in your posts and share in your joy with being a new mom!

65 Ashley April 13, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Thank you for being such an amazing breastfeeding/pumping inspiration and advocate! I bfed my two oldest until they were 3.5 and 4, and am currently working and pumping for my 2.5 year old twins and 7 month old daughter. It’s certainly an adventure being a working pumping mommy, but I’ve been pumping 5 days a week, 3 times a day for almost 8 years pretty much nonstop, through work travel and pregnancies, and wouldn’t trade it for the world. I have given my babies mommy’s liquid gold and they have the best possible start in the world that way. You are a momma warrior out there pumping and I hope you keep advocating for its importance- to your employer, your readership, and to the world.

66 Carrie April 13, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I appreciate you being so open about this part of your life – making sure you provide breastmilk for your daughter is clearly a priority for you, and it can be interesting to read how women juggle this. I’m all for “normalizing” breastfeeding and pumping, however, that is not what you’ve done. The barometer I think of is “would it be appropriate to breastfeed under these circumstances?” It would not at all have been appropriate to breastfeed at that registration table because you’re working, so why is pumping okay? I would not have batted an eye at a participant doing either, but when you’re actively working alongside coworkers and others to accomplish a task, it’s really not appropriate (as are a myriad of other things, not just this!).

Honestly, as someone that has worked events alongside breastfeeding/pumping mothers, it reflects more on you and your organization that you didn’t step away as needed. My workplace is exempt from providing parental leave and accommodations for breastfeeding, but it does what it can. For example, my coworkers get breaks but the only option for space is a restroom. We also try our best to make accommodations for them during events, like being thoughtful of what tasks they are assigned or taking over for 20 minutes so that they can pump prior to the start of participants arriving. The “normalizing” is that I and my other coworkers happily do these things and don’t complain about those that needing a greater number of breaks or putting in less hours at an event. There’s no judgement or hard feelings, only assistance, and that’s what is normalizing about it.

It truly is great that you’re so open and comfortable pumping. But this almost comes across as something you wanted to do to be “badass” versus needed to do. After all, if you’ve now pumped in a car with a coworker and in a few places at this event, is it necessary to step away from your desk during office hours? Why not just stay there with your shawl? Ultimately, I think I’m confused about what your meaning behind “normalize pumping” is.

67 Erin April 14, 2016 at 9:11 am

Like Stacey said above, it’s time for me to take a break from your blog. Initially, I read because I was interested in your meals and training, but now, given that it is all about breastfeeding and being a working mom, I am clearly no longer your target audience.

The fact that my husband and I have been struggling with infertility for over three years certainly doesn’t making your braggy (I’m sorry, but at this point, you’re bragging, imagine how women who can’t breastfeed feel reading these posts week after week) posts any easier. For someone who supposedly struggled with infertility (again, I’m sorry, but a miscarriage and a full term pregnancy within a year is not infertility), I hoped you would put a little more thought into your posts and recognize how amazing the fact that you HAVE a baby is and cool with it the posts about how you’re the best at breastfeeding…

While you shouldn’t change the content of your blog, considering this is what’s going on in your life now, you should consider your tone when you discuss a somewhat touchy topic like breastfeeding. Consider all the women who can’t breastfeed because of physical issues with themselves or their babies, all the women who can’t breastfeed because they became mothers through adoption, all the women suffering through infertility who don’t have babies at all, despite how desperately they want one. Like Stacey said, it’s not your job to make me feel better, but would it kill you to consider other people’s feelings?

68 Anna April 14, 2016 at 11:11 am

Nope, she doesn’t have to consider any one’s feelings. I am all the things you mentioned: infertile, adoptive mom that chose not to breastfeed (taking chemicals to make myself breastfeed seemed to be counterproductive to me). She can talk about breastfeeding, pumping, whatever she wants. Being offended didn’t even occur to me. You people are ridiculous with your judgement. I don’t care if she was pumping while registering people either. You do what you gotta do. She could feed her baby while registering people, too. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

69 Jax April 14, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Yes Anna!!!

70 Allison April 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Whoa. “I’m sorry but a miscarriage and pregnancy within a year is not infertility?” That’s a pretty low blow. I’m really sorry that you’re struggling, but that’s not a reason to sling insensitive comments like that at someone. Meghann’s struggle was real and it was painful, as I’m sure you are aware. But let’s remember that there’s a real live human being with feelings on the other side of this computer screen.

71 Erin April 15, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I don’t doubt that it was painful, but calling it infertility is inaccurate. People claiming infertility like this is part of what leads to comments like “it’s all in your head” or “just relax”. Facts are facts, the inability to conceive within a year of trying is infertility, not a miscarriage and full term pregnancy a few months later.

Miscarriage is a terrible experience, I don’t diminish anyone’s feelings there, but it is not infertility.

72 Allison April 15, 2016 at 9:24 pm

You’ve missed my point. I’m not arguing about whether it’s infertility or not. I’m saying the comment was particularly mean spirited. Constructive criticism is one thing, but so many of the comments like the one from Anna are just…unkind. People are so “brave” behind their keyboards. Just trying to remind people that there are actual human beings with feelings reading the comments.

73 Allison April 15, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Oops. Not Anna. Erin.

74 Allison April 14, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Good for you for pumping! I think its great. My kids are 15 and 13, but I will never forget pumping in my office (or the car). I thought this was a fantastic post.

75 Breanne April 14, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Holy crap! I don’t have the time or patience to read all of the comments but ENOUGH WITH THE NEGATIVITY PEOPLE! I’m shocked. I am really enjoying hearing about your mothering trials and triumphs these days on the blog 🙂 Keep doing you, and don’t listen to all these naysayers. Also, there is nothing wrong with pumping at the registration table while covered up. Not one thing. <3 You definitely don't come across as braggy. Breastfeeding is HARD! I have a 10 month old and it didn't get easy till 7 months! We used a nipple shield until then, and only once he got off it did I really start to enjoy BFing. You're doing awesome!

76 Sarah April 15, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Wow. There are a lot of insecure mommy trolls out there. These comments are disgraceful. Keep doing your thing Meghann. Be proud of breastfeeding and pumping and share about it as often as you want. You are doing great mama!

77 Anna April 28, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Holy crap. Wow. Just wow. I don’t even have words for all the comments on this post. If you would rather not ready about breastfeeding and pumping again, simply don’t read the post. If the content of this blog no longer interests you, you don’t have to read it. You’re not entitled to tell the author of the blog what to write, how to change, etc. there are plenty of other blogs out there that offer the content you’re discussing. As mothers, we should understand how challenging and exhausting being a new mom is. I can’t even imagine going back to work full time and continuing to breastfeed and pump, let alone even cook meals and continue to write ANY posts on this blog. She should be damn proud. Let’s lift eachother up, not tear eachother down. Meghann, I hope you can read this comment and be encouraged to just keep being you. Don’t let the negativity stress you out and make you even more overwhelmed and exhausted. Sheesh.

78 Anna April 28, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Also, I get that the name of the blog is meals and miles, but give the girl some time!!!! I have a new baby too, and I DONT work full time outside of the home, and I still don’t have the time or energy to cook creative meals, or even exercise. Maybe eventually she’ll get back into the groove of things and pick up the “meals and miles” life again. But give her some time for goodness sake, instead of chastising her for not providing the content you’re interested in. Just come back when she picks it up again!

79 TJ April 29, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I think the issue is not that she writes about breastfeeding, but the way she writes about it- like she is the first and only woman to do it- EVER.

80 TJ April 29, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I think the issue is not that she writes about breastfeeding, but the how she writes about it- like she is the first and only woman to do it- EVER.