The Urge Is Back

by Meghann on March 23, 2016

I have the urge to race again.

brooks neuro shoes

It came over me earlier this week when runDisney opened pre-registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. My newsfeed exploded as everyone jumped on the limited spots available for annual passholders and DVC members. I found myself getting caught in the rush. Oh, a race. I want to do that! I even found myself toggling over the registration button, so tempted to register myself. Thankfully everything sold out before I was able to come to my senses. Yes, I want to race, but not this one. They eliminated a park from the course and moved the start from evening (what I loved about this race!) to the standard morning start. Those changes on top of the $$ fee made me realize this race is not for me.

I may not be registered for Wine & Dine, but the whole experience had me yearning for something. I want to make a commitment. I want to give myself a goal. I want to run. Now I just need to find the right race.

12795022_10107358475068823_4375228807519524129_o

Unfortunately the running season is coming to an end here in Florida. Maybe it’s time to dust off the old bike, remind myself how to swim, and register for a triathlon. Or visit my brother in Jacksonville for a half marathon this fall/winter. Either way I need a goal and I think I’m finally ready to put down the money and commit to it.

I have the urge to race. Now I just need to do it.

1 melissa @fitnessnycblog March 23, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I really wanted to register too! But those fees were insane! I really wanted to do lumiere’s two race challenge, but that actually costs more than the two races separately! So strange! I actually was excited about the morning time, as I think that it would be nice to get to rest and shower a little before the party!
melissa @fitnessnycblog recently posted..Workouts on Tap for the Week

2 Mrs. Swan March 23, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Oh wow! Hubby and I volunteered at the wine & dine half in 2014. I loved that it was at night! Of course it was a cold and rainy day and we were at the finish line giving out mylar blankets so we had no protection from elements but I would totally do it again!!!! I seriously LOVED it! All the excitement and costumes and just plain friendly runners. The person directing us didn’t have us pre-rip enough of the blankets so I missed seeing a lot because I was the chick to the left rapidly ripping blankets.

However with our new little punkin there is no chance of volunteering anytime soon for anything Disney. (4.5 wks old)

Those shoes are cute!!! Hubby used to be a Brooks ID member. To bad they eliminated the program. :(
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Total NICU stay= 18 days

3 Colleen @ CSmith Run March 23, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I had something similar happen…after Boston last year I decided I could not do another full marathon anytime soon and was going to concentrate on the shorter stuff. Now, about a year later, I have the urge to run another full marathon. So I register for one yesterday!! Good call on waiting for the right race though – that will make it more meaningful.
Colleen @ CSmith Run recently posted..Last Week’s Training and True Fashion

4 Esther March 24, 2016 at 8:42 am

I totally have this urge, too. I have a 4 month old; I just did my first postpartum 5K and I’m signed up for a 10K in May. I am so tempted to sign up for something longer, but I’m wondering how to fit in training runs while I’m working full time and still breastfeeding. Do you have any ideas? I know plenty of moms do it, but sometimes it feels like they use magic to add hours to their day :)

5 Mrs. B March 24, 2016 at 10:30 am

Working out outside when you live near the coast is brutal in the coming months. It is just soooo humid and SO HOT!!! Texas Girl right here and sometimes the humidity can be suffocating!

6 Jessica March 24, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Seeing your post made me want to register for the Wine and Dine but then I saw the $$ and decided against it, I will find something local. Also, you look great in your running pics! I know you have previously stated you have struggled with your post baby body, but take it day by day and you look great!! Can’t wait to hear what race you sign up for!! :)

7 Michelle Brandon March 24, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Love the running pics – and the outfit and shoes! I did a “glo-run” a few years ago and it was awesome! Maybe there is something like that in your area.

8 Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes March 25, 2016 at 6:45 pm

WHAT?!?! Why would they change the race to a morning start time? It’s running at night with food and wine after the whole point of this run? This was on my bucket list, but I might be changing my mind now.

Anywhoo… congrats on getting your race mojo back! I can’t wait to see what you pick!
Tricia @ A Couple of Dashes recently posted..Join the FIRST EVER Virtual Gratitude 5k & Giveaway!

9 Janay March 28, 2016 at 11:01 am

I needed the same thing a few weeks ago so my husband committed to his FIRST half marathon with me later this year. We’ve registered for the Half By The Sea just outside of Boston. It wasn’t too expensive and it gives us a little adventure to take our little man with us and explore. I hope you’re able to find one!! :)

10 Jennifer Beasley April 19, 2016 at 11:47 am

You should do the ZOOMA half marathon race in October in Amelia island!