Annalynn: 5 Months

by Meghann on March 1, 2016

Happy 5 months, Annalynn!

5 month updates

You are about 15 pounds, in size 6 clothes, and size 2 diapers. You’re becoming very mobile and love playing with your toys, especially you Mickey and Sophie Giraffe.

mickey and sophie

You’ve had quite a month, baby girl. You were really sick with a bad case of RSV followed by both an eye and ear infection. You tolerated hourly breathing treatments, had your first round of antibiotics, and learned to embrace the electric aspirator. Unfortunately you still have a stuffy nose that just won’t quit. At this point I’m assuming you’re just going to have a stuffy nose until you enter college.

IMG_9636

Milestones

We have a roller! You mastered rolling from front to back a while ago, but this month you were finally able to conquer going from back to front. It’s funny, I had pre-written this post talking about how cautious you were and how you roll slowly in “stages” at your own pace, but overnight something clicked and you became a rolling star. Now we can’t put you on your back without having you roll to your front. It’s a fun new trick that you love to show off.

IMG_9684

You’ve recently discovered your feet and you’re a big fan of having them in your hands at all time. You even like to have a hold of them while attempting to roll and only let go when you have that last bit to turn.

IMG_9600

The other day I went to get you out of the car seat and you looked up at me with a sock hanging out of your mouth. You managed to take the sock off of your feet and bring it up to your mouth to chew on. Both Daddy and I were laughing so hard. I’m sure the sock was tasty.

Speaking of putting things  in your mouth, you LOVE chewing on your fingers. If you don’t have binky or toy in your mouth, then your fingers are there. It’s a permanent fixture at this point.

12694617_10107182733476383_1012598510204415452_o

Sleep

Awe… sleep. Something you used to rock at and now have your mom pulling her hair out over.

When you were really sick earlier this month your sleep patterns were all over the place. After a really bad night, we got sort of desperate and let you sleep in the swing. The first night in the swing you slept from 8:00 pm – 7:00 am without so much as a peep. Of course, I was up all night checking on you making sure you were still breathing, but you handled it like a champ. The next night? Meh. We were back to square one, but at least you got one solid night of sleep. Once you semi-recovered, you went from waking up every hour to 2-3 times per night.

Over the weekend we started the process of transitioning you out of the swaddle. I have to admit, I’m really sad to see the swaddle go. You LOVED being swaddled and it was our clutch to calm you when nothing else would. *sniff *sniff

20160226_193339

We started the transition with the Merlin’s Magic Sleepsuit, which your dad and I have dubbed your “marshmallow suit.” Again, you were really awesome the first night (only woke up twice – woo hoo), but tapered the next two nights. Last night you decided 2:30 am was party time and continued to smile and coo until 4:00 am. Zzzzz….

My goal for the next month is to hopefully move you to your crib for sleeping at night. Gulp.

Eating

While you still love to eat, your curiosity has started to get the best of you while nursing lately. Why nurse when you can watch TV, pet the dog, or smile and play with mom? Eating is overrated, you have places to go and people to see!

Yep, we’re dealing with some distraction issues. We have to nurse with the TV off now and it’s getting harder to eat my breakfast during our morning nursing session because you love to watch me eat. I expect it’s only going to get harder as you become more mobile and curious.

I did purchase a nursing necklace off of Etsy recently, which seems to keep you moderately entertained for the time being. You love to grab a hold of it while you nurse and pull it back and forth.

nursing necklace

Misc.

Daddy and I thank out lucky stars everyday that we have you in our lives. You’re smart, beautiful, and so much fun to be around. Thank you for making everyday a little bit brighter.  We can’t wait to see what the next months bring as you continue to grow and explore the world around you.

IMG_9665

Love you, baby girl.

1 Meghan March 1, 2016 at 9:41 am

I saw that necklace in your Instagram post and really liked it! I have one that looks more like a baby chew toy, but that one has a prettier look to it! Happy 5 months Annalynn! Congrats on rolling over!
Meghan recently posted..Recovering from a C-Section or Myomectomy

2 Haley March 1, 2016 at 9:49 am

The nursing necklace definitely helps. Just keep offering and when she’s hungry she’ll eat. Hope you get some much needed rest soon mama. I know what you’re going through. It’s tough but it goes by fast. You’re doing great!!
Haley recently posted..A Day in the Life: February 2016

3 Courtney March 1, 2016 at 10:20 am

I can’t handle that little bear suit!! She is more beautiful every day!
Courtney recently posted..Travel Rule #25: Never Pass Up the “World’s Best” (Seattle, WA)

4 Amy March 1, 2016 at 10:24 am

We LOVE the magic suit. It wasn’t as “magic” for us as some of the reviews I read. My son didn’t magically start sleeping through the night once we put him in. But, he’s improved so much from the every 2-3 hours he was doing while swaddled. Also, your sweet girl is so cute. My son is 3 months old, and I’m sure he’s over 16 lbs. He’s a giant baby and everyone thinks he’s older than he is. We’re just happy his healthy, but my goodness, he’s a chunk.

5 rachel March 1, 2016 at 10:39 am

Hi Meghann! Annalynn is so precious!! I would love to hear more about your experience with pumping at work. Also, has Annalynn always liked tummy time? My almost 4-month old hates it so much, so we don’t do it as often as we should. I worry she is never going to roll over!

6 Meghann March 1, 2016 at 8:12 pm

I’m working on a pumping post. I wanted to have a couple of months under me before I wrote anything in depth. And, Annalynn never seemed very bothered with tummy time. She only got upset when she was tired or had been on her tummy for a while. I’ve talked to other moms who kids hated tummy time and were awesome rollers because it was their way to get off of their tummies as quickly as possible.

7 Jess March 1, 2016 at 11:58 pm

When I transitionrd my daughter out of the swaddle ( I miss swaddling so much!) we used the Halo SleepSack. Its safe for babies who are rolling over or crawling.

8 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust March 1, 2016 at 11:32 am

What are your thoughts on the Merlin’s Magic Sleepsuit? Does she ever get to warm? I always worry about my little one’s hands and feet getting too cold…

9 Meghann March 1, 2016 at 8:08 pm

It’s actually been pretty chilly the last few nights so we’ve been more worried about her being too cold. We have her in socks and footie pjs at night. I still don’t know what to do with her hands. They’re freezing when she wakes up. Other than that, I like the suit. I miss the swaddle, but I feel like the suit is a step towards her gaining her sleeping independence.

10 Katy March 1, 2016 at 11:41 am

I love all of your mama updates! I would love to hear more about how you’re doing as a working mom, and baby wearing, and how Maddie is doing as a puppy-sister! (I’d personally also love to hear about life with baby after infertility struggles, and family planning, but that’s your call too share!)

11 Meghann March 1, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I’ve got a few posts in the works on some of these topics, just finding the time to sit down and write them. 🙂

12 Sana March 1, 2016 at 11:53 am

Adorable pictures! You have done a great job capturing her sweet moments!

13 Kelly March 1, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I started using the Merlin’s Magic Sleepsuit on my son a couple weeks ago. He’s just 3 months old but is 14 lbs already, and didn’t ever love the swaddle the way my daughter did. It’s not as “magic” for me either as some of the Amazon reviews said – He’s still usually up twice at night. Does Annalynn sleep on her stomach yet? I’m wondering how if it will still work once they are moving around more in their sleep. Maybe that’s when it’s time to switch to a sleep sack. I love the marshmallow look though – So cute!
Kelly recently posted..Unplugged30

14 Meghann March 1, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Annalynn isn’t sleeping on her stomach yet (and currently doesn’t have any interest as far as I can tell). I’m curious how it will do once she starts moving around more in her sleep, too.

15 Stephanie March 2, 2016 at 12:05 am

We have the Magic sleep suit too and our little one still wakes up 2x per night as well. I read the questions and answers on Amazon and according to Merlin, once baby can roll over in the suit, they are ready for a sleep sack and the suit is no longer appropriate.

16 Kelly March 2, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Good to know, Thank you!
Kelly recently posted..Unplugged30

17 Nicole March 1, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Aw sorry to hear she’s been sick! Since our daughters are so close in age I am always nodding my head reading your updates – Siena also loves her feet and rolling all over the place! We took her out of the Merlin this month though because she rolls too much in it. It was worth it for the 6 weeks she was in it though!
Nicole recently posted..Postpartum P90X – Final Results

18 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life March 1, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Happy 5 months, Annalynn! My son just turned 9 months and STILL pulls off his socks and tries to eat them every single time we get into the car. My husband and I have jokingly started referring to it as “Operation: Free the feet”.
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Bullet Journal 101

19 Erin @ LivingEZ March 1, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Such a cutie! Good for you, making it through the first round of baby-sickness – it is so hard to see them sick, and be low on sleep!! The teething necklace looks awesome. Once Cecilia hit 6 months, I basically had to go into a dark room to get her to eat!
Erin @ LivingEZ recently posted..The Essential Guide to Buying Your First Adult Bicycle

20 Jess March 2, 2016 at 1:05 am

Awww she is adorable!!!
Jess recently posted..Fitness Fitting it in! -Twins at School, Toddler at home

21 Cara March 2, 2016 at 9:07 am

I’m so glad she’s feeling better! She is so damn cute…:)
Cara recently posted..Our Life Lately

22 Melissa March 2, 2016 at 5:09 pm

She is just darling. I seriously can’t get over how adorable she is!
Melissa recently posted..Changing Expectations