The sickness that never ends

by Meghann on February 15, 2016

A belated Happy Valentine’s Day from my little valentine.

Valentines Day

She may be smiling in that photo, but trust me, it’s been a rough week.

Remember that daycare cold I posted about a couple of weeks ago? Ha! That has NOTHING on the sickness my little girl was hit with last Monday. It was bad. Really bad. I’m talking up-all-night-screaming-not-taking-the-pacifier-won’t-sleep-in-her-bed-projectile-vomiting bad.

We rushed Annalynn to the doctor on Monday and she tested positive for RSV.  They prescribed around the clock breathing treatments and we were told to watch for any problems with catching her breath. She napped in her swing during the day and slept propped in our arms at night. Derek and I traded off working from home during the week so we could nurse her back to health.

RSV Breathing Treatments

By the way, I threw the Node Frieda in the trash and ordered an electric aspirator. SOOO MUCH EASIER! Plus, Annalynn likes the buzzing noise the aspirator makes, which is an awesome distraction when I’m clearing her nose.

It didn’t take long for both Derek and I to catch what Annalynn had. We were both walking zombies by the time the weekend came and spent the majority of the holiday weekend on the couch complaining about how terrible we both felt. Luckily my MIL took Annalynn for a few hours on Saturday so we could rest up.

Having also gone through the severely congested nose, terrible cough, sore throat, and not being able to take any of the “good” medicine due to breastfeeding, I can 100% understand why Annalynn was screaming so much last week – I wanted to scream, too. I pretty much subsided on popsicles, ice cream, and gatorade over the weekend.

We’re still a pretty miserable bunch at the moment, but I think we’re over the hump (knock on wood). Annalynn is seeing the doctor again this morning and I feel well enough to at least be back at work.

RSV is no joke!

1 Alexa February 15, 2016 at 12:32 pm

My oldest son had a similar thing happen a few weeks into daycare. It was so rough! I felt like the walking dead and felt so much working parent guilt. Now, he’s three years old, and rarely gets sick besides a little cold here and there. It’s really nice to have the immunities.
Alexa recently posted..2016

2 Cara February 15, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Oh no! I hope you all feel better asap!!
Cara recently posted..Friday Favorites

3 Heidi February 15, 2016 at 2:12 pm

So sorry! My baby got RSV when he was just three-weeks-old (from his toddler big brother), and he ended up with a breathing tube and in the NICU for 11 nights because he was so teeny. Super scary. RSV is not fun! Glad you avoided a hospital stay.

4 Elizabeth February 15, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Oh no! RSV is the worst! I’m a resident and our children’s hospital wards and PICU are always full of little ones like Annalynn during RSV season. It’s terrible! Glad she managed to avoid hospital! Hope you all start feeling better soon. Don’t be surprised if she continues to cough for a long time (3-4wk!) after she’s feeling better!

5 Lisa February 15, 2016 at 3:31 pm

We just went through the same thing with our twin 4 month olds and I caught it too. I’m still working on getting over it.

6 Jennifer February 15, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry. I know how scary RSV can be. I really hope she starts to feel better soon.
Jennifer recently posted..Weekly Meal Plan/Workouts + Weekend Recap

7 Jess February 15, 2016 at 5:54 pm

This really sucks and it is hard to avoid the plague when you’re at daycare (and from what I can tell, it doesn’t matter when you put them in some kind of group care environment be it 3 months or 3 years or whatever) if it’s any consolation she’s building her immune system. I will look into the nose aspirator since my kid hates the snot sucker too.

8 Michelle Brandon February 15, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Sorry to hear it struck the whole family 🙁 Hoping all of you feel better soon!

9 Kelli @ Hungry Hobby February 16, 2016 at 8:26 am

Sorry to hear she isn’t feeling well!! I’m sending prayers and positivie thoughts everything gets better soon!
Kelli @ Hungry Hobby recently posted..Make Ahead Chop Chop Salad

10 The Many Thoughts of a Reader February 16, 2016 at 11:39 am

RSV sucks. It turned into pneumonia and an ear infection and took my daughter 2 weeks to be over it.

11 Jess February 16, 2016 at 11:56 am

Oh no poor little sweet baby! Hope you all feel much better asap.
Jess recently posted..Life Lately!

12 Rosey Rebecca February 16, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Aw, I hope you all feel better really soon. Glad Annalynn is doing better. I’ve got the same type of cold, and it so NO fun. <3
Rosey Rebecca recently posted..Let Them Eat Cake

13 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life February 16, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Oh no!! We’ve had a bad problem with daycare colds (and a case of Bronchiolitis that went around his classroom too), but thankfully haven’t had anything as serious as RSV. But it definitely is so frustrating (and scary!) to be up with them all night and not really be able to do much to help. I have found myself on more than one occasion at 4am going “You better have a bear of an immune system by the time you get to Kindergarten!!” 🙂 I hope everyone feels better soon!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..The Year of the Monkey

14 Sara February 16, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Omg sounds terrible! A sick baby is the worst but it’s really bad when you’re sick too. Hope you guys feel better soon!
Sara recently posted..How Motherhood Has Changed Me

15 megan February 17, 2016 at 9:32 am

Yikes – RSV is the worst. my 3 month old baby wasnt in daycare at the time but cought it from his cousin who was 5 months. They both ended up in the hospital but the 2 months really made a big difference…he was in for 2 days while my guy was in for almost a week on breathing tubes and thisclose to going to the NICU. It was incredibly scary bc it gets so much worse before it gets better. I had never even heard of RSV before I had a kid but man, it takes it out of you!

16 Melissa February 17, 2016 at 9:37 am

I know of several people whose kiddos got RSV recently, and it’s scary! Thank goodness Annalynn is getting better and didn’t need to be hospitalized!
Melissa recently posted..Super Random Blog Survey

17 Valerie @ Geaux Momma February 17, 2016 at 9:39 am

Girl, I think you have the worst luck! Hope everyone gets better soon. A house full of sick people is no fun. Poor little baby.
Valerie @ Geaux Momma recently posted..How To Do A 7 Day Meal Plan

18 Kelly February 17, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I am so sorry you’ve all been so sick! That sounds terrible. I’ve been complaining about the never-ending cold that my daughter brought home from preschool and passed along to me and my 2 month son, but it’s nothing compared to RSV. Hope you are all feeling better soon.
Kelly recently posted..Fitness Friday – Bucket List Races