Body After Baby: 4 Months

by Meghann on February 11, 2016

I had a doctor’s appointment this morning and stepped on the scale for the first time since my 6 week post-op appointment. Couldn’t believe it when I saw the scale dip back into the 130s for the first time in over a year. I am officially three pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight.

I ballooned up during pregnancy and ended up gaining over 50 pounds by the time I gave birth. I attribute a lot of that to water weight considering my doctor’s comments on how much fluid I had when she was stitching me up and how swollen I was in the last trimester. By the time I had my one week follow-up, I was already down 30 pounds and could comfortably fit in my old shoes again (I was wearing stretchy flips flops by the end because nothing else fit).

2weeks postpartum

I stalled there for a while. At my 6-week appointment I was only down a few more pounds and still felt uncomfortable in a lot of my clothing. It wasn’t until I hit the 12 week mark that I really started to see a big difference. My face was thinning out, clothes were fitting again, and I began to appreciate what I saw in the mirror.

924205_774584072674937_1800063781_n

Thanks to breastfeeding I’m hungrier than I ever was while expecting. I crave sweets in a bad way and have been enjoying more Chick Fil A (and their milkshakes) than I care to admit. My husband bought a cookie cake for my birthday on Monday and, since he doesn’t eat gluten, the fact that the cake is almost gone on Thursday is all on me. I’m terrified of losing my supply so I’m trying to keep my calorie intake high, but could do better with my choices.

And, as I’ve mentioned before, exercise is still low on the priority list. I’m lucky if I get one 3-mile run a week. Though, I have been better with taking the stairs at work.

My point is, I’m not working hard to lose the weight, but it is (slowly) coming off. Somehow between the holidays, starting back at work, and birthday celebrations I lost fourteen more pounds.  It’s crazy how our bodies work. My body worked hard to put on all the extra weight it needed to carry a healthy pregnancy and now it’s slowly coming off at its own pace while also producing enough nutrients to feed my child.

Body After Baby

I’d be lying if I said I was 100% comfortable with my body during pregnancy because I wasn’t. I couldn’t wait to have the baby and to lose the weight. Then I had the baby and losing the weight dropped from the priority list. Now that I’m 4-months post-partum and close to my pre-pregnancy weight, I’m really glad I didn’t try to rush it or make it a focal point. My obsession was with my kid, not with the scale, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

This post isn’t a “how-to lose the baby weight” post, it’s simply one mom’s experience after giving birth. Every experience is different, but I wanted to write this in case another mom gained more weight than she expected during pregnancy and is stressing about losing the weight afterwards. Stop right now. Just think about how much you’re going to enjoy those baby snuggles and leave it at that.

1 Rosey Rebecca February 11, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I think you look gorgeous! I definitely think your relaxed attitude is helping!
Rosey Rebecca recently posted..February Things

2 Rosey Rebecca February 11, 2016 at 4:12 pm

oh, and Happy Belated Birthday! YAY for cookie cakes!

3 Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat February 11, 2016 at 4:19 pm

A cookie cake sounds delicious to me right now. And I applaud your rational way of looking at the post pregnancy weight loss. I am sure you wouldn’t trade focusing on being a Mom vs losing weight for anything!
Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted..Half Marathon Training 1/31/16 – 2/6/16

4 Valerie @ Geaux Momma February 11, 2016 at 4:24 pm

You look fantastic! Congratulations on dropping the pounds. I dropped a bunch too when I breastfed and got back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Then I foolishly gained it all back when I stopped breastfeeding. Now I’m back on a mission and it is very hard. Good luck with the final pounds!
Valerie @ Geaux Momma recently posted..How To Do A 7 Day Meal Plan

5 Beth February 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Everyone I know lost another 10 pounds once they weaned, so you have that to look forward too eventually also! :)

6 Nicole February 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Great post! I’m 9 months pregnant and I really appreciated reading this. I am a little nervous about losing the pregnancy weight and your honesty has definitely helped my nerves!

7 Michele February 11, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I really liked this post. I am a very long time (silent) reader and love your blog.
Reading about your fertility struggles made me really appreciate your honesty and I can’t believe that I am the one with fertility issues now (TTC for 13months).

8 Jess February 11, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Relaxed is definitely the way to go. I always feel like it takes me 18 months to 2 years to get back to where I was not just on the scale but muscle tone wise etc. My body is slow and steady but I eventually get there.

9 Ash Diamond February 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm

You should have sent that cookie cake my way! :)

10 Julie February 11, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Awesome!

So my problem now is that we are pretty much weaned, and I gained 5 lbs in a month. I thought I was going to lost the rest of the baby weight with weaning, but in spite of regular exercise, this happened, and I’m bummed. I’m hoping it’s just my body figuring things out again and it will resolve itself.

11 Ashley February 11, 2016 at 6:41 pm

It’s easy to say stop worrying when you have lost the weight…I

12 Ashely@ Sweet Carolina Belle February 11, 2016 at 8:15 pm

I really appreciate this post as I am due any day now and feeling quite large. I have no idea what to expect post baby and am fearful of going into summer not feeling like myself.
Ashely@ Sweet Carolina Belle recently posted..Simple & Sweet Nursery

13 Katie @ Live Half Full February 11, 2016 at 10:04 pm

You’re right about the stall around 6 weeks, I was right there with you. Luckily at 14 weeks PP my weight is starting to come off.
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Laid Back Dinners for Valentine’s Day at Home

14 Sarah February 11, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter. Reading your post pregnancy post eases so much of my anxiety. I’m due in May and the way you keep it real on your blog with life with baby makes me feel so much better about handling this next phase in our lives. Just wanted to say thank you!!

15 Amy February 12, 2016 at 12:09 am

Has she hit the 4 month sleep regression yet? That’s gotta be rough on working moms!

16 christina February 25, 2016 at 4:24 pm

oh it’s rough!! my son is 7 months old and hasn’t let go of that 4 month regression yet. i drink lots of coffee at work 😉

17 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 12, 2016 at 7:42 am

This is something I definitely think about when I think about having a baby in the next year or two. Thanks for being so honest. You look great!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..158.6

18 goldie February 12, 2016 at 8:16 am

Had same experience as meghann. Came out of an emergency c-section still swollen and a little worried but I focused on getting better and looking after the new little bubba in our life. 6 months on I’m back in my prepregnancy clothes without a whole lot of effort. I’m doing 1-3 sessions of exercise a week that are no longer than 30 mins at a time. I admit there are bits of my body which arr a little different but JUST LOOK AT THE GORGEOUS BABY THIS scarred BODY GREW. Phenomenal. I’m more than happy with this body and what its done in the last15 months.
goldie recently posted..Oh my days pt 2

19 Cara February 12, 2016 at 8:41 am

You look awesome! I lost most of my weight by week 6 and then was steady until I weaned. Gained a couple pounds but nothing too severe. It’s amazing how our bodies work!!
Cara recently posted..Friday Favorites: Life Lately

20 Adie February 12, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Love this!!

I’m 3 months post-partum, and for the first time in my adult life I’m not obsessing about my weight. It’s all about the munchkin! The majority of my pregnancy gain was water weight that fell off in the first week or two, and the rest has been slowly making its exit. I’m tracking my food to be in the habit (I had a bunch of weight to lose before pregnancy), but baby comes first! Exercise has pretty much been short walks with the baby.

21 Allison February 12, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Just wanted to add, for any body who is feeling bad, four months with no effort is quite fast. Give your self grace!

22 meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles February 12, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I remember when my jeans fit – it wasn’t until my son was 4 months old! And it really took almost until he was a full year old until my body returned to my old size (actually even a little smaller!). I didn’t exercise either – I didn’t have time or energy beyond nursing and taking care of a baby! things happen naturally, I think you have a great attitude about it!
meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..New Treadmill Workout

23 RJ February 12, 2016 at 9:06 pm

I love how realistic this portrayal is. I think most women have a baby and say “eff it” to working out because priorities change and that’s totally okay. I like seeing this in contrast to a blogger like Peanut Butter Fingers who already has her abs back after 5 months! This laid back attitude just makes more sense to me. Who cares if you’re softer than before, better for baby cuddles!

24 Molly February 13, 2016 at 12:46 pm

So honest. Your posts have been so great lately!

25 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust February 13, 2016 at 10:25 pm

You look fantastic. Way to set an example for all moms out there who might be struggling at some point in her pregnancy or postpartum recovery. You are taking a very healthy approach – both mentally and physically!
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Balancing Work, Ironman Training, and Being a Stay at Home Mom

26 Melissa February 15, 2016 at 9:11 am

This is such a nice post to read. I look back and feel like I was still a little overly concerned with losing my baby weight at the beginning. I think it has to do with the years of ballet and always battling the need to be “skinny.” But regardless, you look great! Happy and healthy. :)
Melissa recently posted..Strong Abs and a Stomach Bug