When do working moms find time to work out?

by Meghann on January 26, 2016

This question has been on my mind a lot lately. Seriously. How do moms do it?!

Before I went on maternity leave I had these grand plans of diving right back into running/working out after I was cleared at my 6 week appointment. I would get up early and run before Derek left for work or join the local YMCA for their free childcare and drop Annalynn off while I hit the treadmill or took a class. I would be super mom and do it all.

Well, my 6 week appointment came and went and I found myself choosing sleep over working out because, well, over the last 6 weeks I learned just how precious sleep was. Annalynn was (is) still getting up 2-3 times a night and I felt like a zombie when she was ready to start her day at 7 am. I also chickened out with the gym membership because money was kind of tight while I was on maternity leave and I couldn’t justify the added expense. Plus, I became really selfish of my time with Annalynn and wasn’t ready to leave her in someone else’s care just yet.

annalynn stroller

I also didn’t feel the tugging desire or motivation to get out there like I thought I would. Instead of wanting to train for a big race or work hard to get back in shape, I simply enjoyed my daily afternoon walks with my girls and my weekly 3-mile run. Quite honestly that was enough, but now that I’m back at work I can’t even find time for that.

At this point Annalynn is still waking up 2-3 times a night so getting up at 6:30 is even a struggle. Maybe once she’s sleeping through the night I can try for an early morning run, but for now I need that extra sleep. I thought I could maybe try for a lunchtime run/walk, but since I take three pump breaks a day I usually eat lunch at my desk to make up the time. I’ve never been an evening runner and don’t plan on starting now, especially if the evening run would have to be late at night after dinner.

bob stroller walk

So here I am. I haven’t run or worked out since returning from maternity leave. My new goal is to fit at least one run in every weekend for a little “me” time. I miss running, I really, really do, but for now I’m still figuring out life as a working mom.

I’m not giving up on racing or pushing myself to my limits (hell no! I still want to run another marathon or set a new 70.3 PR), I’m just taking a little break. Any running I do will simply be icing on the cake. And that baby weight I still need to lose? Meh. It will come off in time. Right now I’m not too concern with it.

So, again, my question to all the working moms out there – When do you find time to work out?!

1 Kristen January 26, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I didn’t do anything until she was sleeping more consistently and I wasn’t attached to her or a pump every couple hours. Cut yourself some slack and enjoy the zzz’s!

2 Quinn January 26, 2016 at 2:23 pm

One of the hardest things about being a mom. I have always said it’s the logistics! It took a good year after Charlotte was born to get into the swing of things. Our gym has free childcare, which helped, but now I do it at the crack of dawn – 5:30am or it just won’t happen. BUT, I will say, I recently read that the lack of sleep produces some hormone that doesn’t aid in weight loss and when you workout on top of it, it counteracts it. Not that you’re doing it for weight loss, but just something to keep in mind. Your body needs the zzz’s.

3 [email protected] January 26, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I didn’t do anything until Max was about 3-4 months old. No time and it was winter in Ottawa, so not much that one could do without a gym membership/treadmill at home (which I didn’t have). I didn’t do much when I was on maternity leave. A small run here and there. After I returned to work, I used that spare one hour between school ending and daycare closing to work out. I don’t get that hour every day, but I try to take advantage of it. I’m a teacher, so the flexibility is there BUT if I don’t do any marking/planning after school, I am most definitely doing more work at night when Max goes to bed. Some days I would have to choose to stay and work though.

I don’t work out early in the morning nor do I have any fitness stuff at home – I rarely work out or run on weekends. I just run when I can. So, am I going to be logging 30 miie weeks? No. But I try to do as much as I can. I also can bring Max to the gym daycare too. Maybe you could look into that?
[email protected] recently posted..Training Lately #6 – Opps…

4 Robyn January 26, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Totally get you! My little man was born via c-section in June. I still don’t feel completely healed and he is 7 months! My scar is irritated by any clothes that touch it and when I run it feels strange. Also- timing workouts when my boobs don’t feel like they’re going to explode is hard! If I don’t go right after he feeds it is so uncomfortable. I’m not a lucky one who has experienced weight just falling off while nursing, unfortunately. I need to workout to be able to get back to my old self, but it’s not easy. My husband and I have been doing circuits at home lately in the evenings- and involving baby boy in squats, lunges, pushups, sit ups and such. It’s not running, but it’s something and I don’t have to give up my limited time with him!

5 [email protected] January 26, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Okay, when my daughter was teeny tiny, I’d go work out as soon as she was in bed for the night, usually around 7:30 or 8pm. I had to be at work at 7am in those days, and there was no way I was getting up in the morning to work out! Lunch was out for the same reason as you.

Now my kids are a little older (3 and 4 years old); I aim to run in the mornings, ideally waking up at 5 to be done by 6, before they’re up and in my business 😉 If I decide to sleep in, I try to get a walk in on my lunch break, or I’ll go to the gym after they’re in bed. Or nothing. But yeah, generally early morning; I’ve learned to enjoy the quiet before the day starts!
[email protected] recently posted..10K Training Tuesday – Week 2

6 Allie January 26, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Once my son was about 9 months I was able to run more. The hardest part for me was figuring out when I could run that would match with his nursing schedule and when my husband was home. Once he got older, was sleeping more, and nursing less I was able to add more workouts into my life. Now I get up and go to the gym at 615 because everyone in the house is still sleeping. Give it time and soon you will figure out when it will work for you guys. Until then, try some at home work outs (T-25 was awesome for me!). Once I could run with the stroller that was a game changer, too (living in Ohio I had to wait til the spring).
Allie recently posted..Queen Bee half marathon

7 Jamie January 26, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Yes, running in the stroller is a game changer!!

8 Bri January 26, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Agree! On the weekends, stroller running or bust.

9 Emma January 26, 2016 at 2:28 pm

I didn’t until my kids were older, to be honest. Until they were sleeping through the night (and therefore I was sleeping through the night)? It was just survival. I figured if I could get out for a few walks each week I was doing well.

Give yourself a break. You are in the hardest time right now, and it will get easier (probably in a few months) and you’ll gradually start to regain some hours in the day that you’ll be able to use for fitness.
Emma recently posted..Muskoka 70.3 base build week 4

10 Jamie January 26, 2016 at 2:30 pm

We started as a family. My husband and I took the baby out in the stroller. He walked and I ran. (He was a newborn.) Then, I found a CrossFit class 3x a week. It only puts me behind about 30 minutes from the usual time of picking the baby up. He is 9 months old. Honestly, we tried lots of different scenarios to make time for my workouts and my husbands. I still lack some of my motivation though. I have trouble pushing myself.

It will fit together eventually. 😉

11 Sarah January 26, 2016 at 2:31 pm

When you figure this out, please share. My son is almost 6 months and I’m struggling. My husband and I are both active duty Marines and leave the house around 6:15 am. I drop him at daycare and pick him up between 5:30 and 6 pm (poor kid is the first one in his room in the morning and one of the last ones picked up at night…good thing flirting is his favorite pastime and the daycare ladies eat him up!). By the time I get home, I have time to feed him and then we are starting our bedtime routine so he is down between 7-7:30. Then it’s dinner and I’m ready to pass out. I still have about 10 pounds to lose and I hate being so not active, but there is so much grabbing my time (working out during the day doesn’t work…too many schedules conflicting). It’s frustrating, but I have to remind myself that this is merely a season and I’ll be able to figure it out eventually…you know, just in time to get pregnant with #2. Haha!

12 Linda January 26, 2016 at 2:36 pm

I didn’t work out or run until my youngest was around 2 but this was a non-issue for a long time (Ha) but now I’m finding if I don’t squeeze it in early in the morning, it’s most likely I won’t get to it. However, be kind to yourself. Your baby is still little, waking up at night,and you’re working full time! As baby starts to sleep more consistently, you’ll find more a groove.

13 Britton January 26, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I have been a rather quiet longtime blog follower here and on instagram! Reading this post was much needed for me! My little girl will be one next week and I am still struggling to find time. My goal after she was born was to do Beach2Battleship half ironman – my second 70.3. I struggled so much trying to find time to get to the pool and on the bike and to be honest, I felt guilty being gone from my baby. I deferred my B2B entry to this year and then decided not to sign up for the Ironman NC 70.3 taking the place of B2B. I am so sad that I will miss it but I just can’t give up my precious time I get to spend with her on the weekends when I am not at work. I have been able to get in morning runs. I get up at 4:20 and run and have to be out of the house and otw to work by 7. Its hard but its doable. Once she is sleeping better, it will get easier. Hang in there! Enjoy and cherish the time with her you have! Before you know it, you will be preparing for a first birthday like me!

14 Alex January 26, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Meghan, take it easy on yourself! I have been in your shoes…twice! My kids are now 3 and 7 and honestly the newborn days finally seem like a hazy memory. My daughter and I did a Mommy and Me yoga class at Bella Prana in Tampa while I was on maternity leave and I was sad to give that up when I went back after maternity leave but honestly by 3 months she was getting too squirmy to just lay there and watch me do yoga anyway. I did a lot of walking with the dog and the kids, but I remember specifically that it was not until she was 9 months old (and sleeping!) that I finally felt energetic and clear headed enough to work out regularly. Now I work out at 5:30 or 6 a.m. 3-4 times during the week days and first thing in the morning on weekends when my husband is home. I would neeeeever work out if I left it to the end of the day (too tired) even though pre-kids I was absolutely an evening exerciser.

Seriously, you will get into a routine soon enough. You’ll know when you’re ready for that! For now I absolutely agree that you should prioritize sleep and hanging out with your baby. 🙂

15 Amanda January 26, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I workout at 430am. I would rather spend my evenings with my son so that’s the only time I have left. I get up at 4 get to the gym by 430, home by 535 and everyone is waking up. We have to be in the road by 630. It was hard at first to adjust but I would rather take an hour of sleep from myself than any time away from my son. I have done this since he was 3 month old. He is now 9 months. I have missed a few times because of things coming up but for the most part I miss my workout when I don’t do it.

16 Julia January 26, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I didn’t start working our regularly till my daughter was 14 months old – no joke. It just wasn’t a priority for me. Work (and commuting!) takes up so much time, and I only had a few precious hours to spend with my baby and husband (and to get s–t done!) before going to bed at 9:30 and waking up to do it all over again.

17 anna January 26, 2016 at 2:44 pm

I get up at 5 to get a workout in 🙁 but it works, and it’s nice quiet AM time. That being said I would NOT do that when you have an infant, esp. when you are breastfeeding and s/he is not sleeping through yet!!! I did try to fit in workouts when I was breastfeeding/in infancy (my LO is now 2yo) but work suffered AND my sleep suffered. I’ve since learned sleep > working out. FOR SURE. Hang in there!!! It will come into balance and pumping will lessen in frequency in time! For now just hang on:).

18 Bri January 26, 2016 at 2:45 pm

During lunch or in the evenings. And to be clear – I never “found” the time – I had to make it! My baby is 2 now, but when I returned to work from maternity leave, I absolutely needed the mental relief of a good workout every day. Not optional for me. So sometimes I ran over my lunch break (which worked out fine, even with 3 pumping sessions), sometimes in the morning, and most often I ran at night, after baby went to sleep. That usually meant starting after 9pm. But it was worth it to me, more so than a bit of extra sleep (though I totally understand on that front – my kiddo did not sleep through the night until close to one year). Every mom is different, and we all place different value on different things, Just know that you absolutely can have the time to work out – you just have to make it, probably at the expense of something else. If it is a priority, you will find a way, and if it’s not near the top of the priority list right now, that’s okay too. Be comfortable with and own that fact.

One last thought – make sure that dad is involved in every aspect of being a working parent just as much as you are. It is a team effort. My husband, bless his heart, was more than happy to sit on the couch all night after the baby went to bed, not understanding the exhausting to-do list awaiting me each night. I had to clue him in. 🙂 No reason that dads can’t help wash out pump parts, prepare bottles for the next day, make lunches, pack up the bag for daycare, etc. – especially so if mom is the one getting up at night and pumping at work!

19 Megan January 27, 2016 at 9:59 am

Just wanted to send you a virtual high five for this post – sometimes Dads do need a little clue! my husband and I just had our first baby, who is a couple weeks younger than Annalynn. I am a full time critical care nurse and in full time school for my Master’s to become a nurse practitioner. When I went back to work, I pretty much told my husband I could not clean the house and cook dinner every night and pack daycare stuff and be a good mom, nurse and student. Since then? he does every daycare pickup and drop off, washes all bottles, preps all daycare supplies and cooks dinner every night. I never realized how much team work would be involved! I definitely thought I would be some kind of robotic supermom who did everything for everyone, but that’s not where I am and I feel pretty darn good about the time my husband spends helping our household – really feels like a good team here!

20 Bri January 27, 2016 at 10:27 am

That’s so awesome! Sounds like you two make a great team.

21 Allison January 26, 2016 at 2:51 pm

not a mom, so grain of salt and all that – but maybe you could do a quick 10-15 minute video in the evening or morning? just something at home to get your heart rate up? I love tone it up and they’ve made it super easy for me to get a workout in when everything at work is 12-hour day crazy. you just need a pair of dumbbells! you can do them while watching TV! you could also start just working out on the weekend for now until you’re sleeping a bit more. just a little bit here and there will help your energy levels too!

22 Laura January 26, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Having workout gear at my house was a lifesaver in the beginning. That way I could maximize sleep and still fit in at least a 30 minute workout either before or after work. I have weights, a used treadmill (cheap from craigslist), a bike trainer for my road bike and several workout videos. When baby was old enough to run in the stroller, my husband and I would take him running on the weekends so we felt like we were all getting to still spend time together. You can make it work, you just have to be a little creative! Now that my son is a toddler, I go to the gym to do workout classes at 5:30am, run at home or workout in the basement while everyone is sleeping. I had post partum anxiety issues so working out was one of the only things that helped and I didn’t mind losing a little sleep. Now I am just conditioned to workout in the mornings!

23 Reagan January 26, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Working mom to an 8 month old baby girl. I took it pretty easy on myself for the first couple of months going back to work (after 12 week maternity leave). I focused on eating healthy, while breastfeeding/pumping 3 times at work every day, and walking for 30 minutes at lunch and walking with the baby on the weekends. Most of the weight comes off on its own naturally. After the holidays, I now get up 3 hours before we need to leave for daycare to pump, 25 minute workout (T-25 or 21 Day Fix video), get ready and get out the door with baby. I still walk/run at lunch, and now, all of the baby weight is gone, and my milk supply has not been negatively impacted at all (my biggest worry – trying to make it to the one year mark). Just give yourself a lot of grace and try not to worry! Stress makes everything worse.

24 ErikaMC January 26, 2016 at 2:54 pm

This was something I wondered about too. After our son was born and I was cleared I started working out right when I got home from work and had him just hang out in his bouncy seat and watch. Eventually he outgrew that and I was having to stop him from getting into stuff more often and wasn’t getting in a quality workout. Then I tried working out after he went to bed. This wasn’t my favorite and didn’t last for long. Eventually I started getting up at 4:00 to workout – yes, I know this sounds crazy and I didn’t start this until he slept through the night. Now, four years later I’m still doing it. My body has just gotten use to it and I make sure to go to bed plenty early. It can be frustrating but you’ll figure it out. Now with baby number 2 on the way I’m wondering about it all over again myself!

25 Kate January 26, 2016 at 3:02 pm

First, congratulations on your adorable daughter – and on successfully making it back to work without going crazy! When I headed back to work after 12 weeks of maternity leave, I was ready to get back to a regular schedule and interact with my co-workers, but man – it is tough figuring out the new normal, especially when that normal changes every few weeks. But remember that – it will change, and before you know it, you won’t be pumping 3 times a day, and she won’t be waking 2-3 times in the middle of the night. Until then, just do what you can to make yourself feel as good as you can. If that means choosing sleep over working out, then do it. That being said, I am the kind of person that needs my run/workout in the morning to feel normal – even at the expense of sleep. So, while I was kind of a zombie for the first couple months after returning to work, I got up at 3:45 each morning to pump, go for my run, then get home to shower before nursing my son when he woke up at 6. I would go to bed when he did – 8 or 9 p.m. – get up with him in the middle of the night to nurse, go back to bed for a couple more hours of sleep, then get up to pump and run. I doubt I could have maintained that for more than 6 months, though!

26 meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles January 26, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I was a stay at home mom who had absolutely no time (or real desire) to work out! I gave up my usual fitness routine for the first few years of my son’s life and I do not regret one second. I traded extra sleep for running and I think carrying the infant seat, taking care of a baby and walking with the stroller everywhere served me just fine. I cannot see how I would have done things differently or how people do what they do while raising a baby.In time your routine will fall into place again.
meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..5 Benefits of Treadmill Running For Outdoor Runners

27 Angie January 26, 2016 at 3:15 pm

When my son was a baby, I had the same experience as you did – I tried getting up, but with limited sleep it was such a struggle; also, since my time with my son had become more limited when going back to work – I wanted to spend the time with him. Honestly, the turning point was when he turned two – he was sleeping through the night (for the most part) and I could wake up early, get my workout in & still have some time with my son in the morning. I workout about 3 days/week, and the rest of the days I try to squeeze in a short walk. Remember, be gentle with yourself – when the time is right for you and your family it will happen!

28 Lauren January 26, 2016 at 3:19 pm

My DD is a few days younger than Annalynn and I feel exactly the same way. We have a rowing machine and I had this grand plan that I would get up at 5am to pump, then row or do a DVD for 30 minutes, get ready for work, nurse and then leave. HA! Instead DD is getting up multiple times a night, usually with a 4:15 wake up where she fights going back to sleep, so I am desperate for every minute I get. Plus I’m a low producer so I have to make time to pump before work and after she goes to sleep so there goes that time (and I still don’t get enough, ugh so sad.) Then the 3 times at work so lunch is out. I also refuse to give up any of the few precious minutes I get with her right after work before she falls asleep. I have been very lucky that BFing has helped me lose the weight but I am flabbier than I have ever been and truly miss any semblance of muscle tone. Oh well, I guess exercising will just have to wait!

29 Julia January 26, 2016 at 3:23 pm

The lunch workout is huge for me. I would usually combine one pumping break into that workout. I would seriously hook up the pump while I was doing my makeup and hair after I worked out and before heading back to the office, right there in the locker room. No shame. Gotta do what I gotta do. Usually there would be some semi-hidden corner where I could do it, and I would cover myself with a nursing cover I kept in my gym bag. Once my daughter started to stay asleep for longer stretches (now she is 18 months, the sleeping in longer stretches started at about 5 months), I started going to Orange Theory twice a week in the morning for a 5 or 6 am class. And the stroller run on the weekend was key for those early months (although now my daughter will NOT sit in the stroller for the duration of a run). Some weeks I do better than others, I just do my best, try not to beat myself up too much and tell myself that if I feel better bc I am eating and exercising well, I can be a better mom (or at least that’s what I tell myself on the treadmill at 5-something AM when I am seriously questioning my life choices…)

30 Rebecca January 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

I don’t know if this is available in your area, but it might be worth googling. My cousin is a fitness instructor who does classes called Stroller Strides (or something similar). I’ve also seen these classes at the mall near me and it looked like a really good workout! It was moms with their babies in strollers and the workout moves were designed to incorporate the strollers. Lots of fun music, the babies seemed very entertained. I know my cousin loves teaching it, she said it’s also a great way to make friends with kids the same age.
Rebecca recently posted..Lentil Stuffed Pepper Soup

31 Emily N January 26, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Honestly, I usually worked through my pump breaks. That way I had the availability to run at lunch or whatever. I needed it, otherwise I would not have managed to stay sane. 🙂
Emily N recently posted..A stream of consciousness

32 Julia January 26, 2016 at 3:38 pm

YES! Me too. I would obviously close my office door, but I would also stick a post-it on it saying “Do Not Disturb.” I have definitely pumped through a few conference calls pausing only when I absolutely had to take myself off mute. Do what you have to do! Anyone judging you clearly hasn’t been there… you’re feeding a tiny human that you created, no shame in that.

33 Megan January 26, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I’m not there yet, but I’m already thinking ahead to how I could possibly manage my current routine plus a baby. Thank you for all that you share about the highs and lows of motherhood, it is definitely helping me have a more realistic view of what my life might look like in the next year or so!

I just ran across an article from Runner’s World about returning to running after a break. In a nutshell: all of the previous running you’ve done has created fantastic muscle memory!!! When you are ready to get back out on the streets more frequently/for longer distances, your legs will remember all of the good times you’ve had and get you back on track much faster than starting from 0.

You will know when you’re ready to get moving again…until then, remember that you are a bad-a working momma and THAT is like running a marathon in itself!!

34 Kelly January 26, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I was JUST thinking about this issue! I have figured out a great schedule for working out now while I’m on maternity leave but will have to reconfigure everything when I go back to work mid-March. I’m trying to remember how I made it work after my daughter was born in 2013… Like you I’m not an evening runner but I’d do 3 miles twice during the week after dinner and bedtime, around 7 pm – HOW did I manage that?!? She was a better sleeper than my son appears to be though so was only up once at night by that point. So far now with two kids, I’ve been relying heavily on the gym child care, but once I’m back to work I’m not sure when I’ll make it there… I don’t want to give up my time with them in the afternoon, but evening workouts are so tough.
Kelly recently posted..20 Questions

35 Esther January 26, 2016 at 3:30 pm

If you figure it out, let me know! I’m just 8 weeks pp and still on maternity leave and I still can’t really find time to work out. I’ve been walking with N when it’s nice out (except it’s winter, so not very often) and then doing short DVD workouts when he naps. When I do go back to work, my hope is to get in two workouts on the weekend – hopefully a run, but whatever I can manage. Other than that, if I can do something short in the evenings after N is down, I’ll be thrilled, but I’m trying to set the bar low. I was running 3-4 times a week pre-pregnancy, so it’s a huge adjustment and one that I’m still grappling with. If I didn’t feel inclined to run I wouldn’t hold myself to it, but the thing is I really miss it and I crave that little bit of “me time”. So we will see.

36 Beth January 26, 2016 at 3:32 pm

I didn’t work out too much other than walks when my daughter was younger. The game changer for me was finding a treadmill at a garage sale for $100. Then, I could run during naps on the weekends, after the baby went to bed at night, or while she was doing tummy time. Now that she is three, I can run while she’s awake and playing independently- she knows to leave the treadmill alone. That’s not to say that I get uninterrupted runs. Just about every run involves me having to pause the treadmill and find the lost baby doll, get my daughter a drink of water, or read a quick book. I much, much prefer to run outside, but you do what you can to survive.

Also, get a mommy and me yoga DVD or watch youtube vids. My daughter LOVES to do yoga with me and always has. It’s not running, but it’s something.

37 Robin January 26, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I was in the same boat as you a year ago. I loved running pre baby, but it was definitely put on the back burner until sleep was more consistent. Fast forward to today, my 18 month old sleeps through the night (knock on wood) and I’ve started back with my early morning runs before work. It feels great! You’ll be where I am in no time!

38 Amity January 26, 2016 at 3:52 pm

My husband and I had a 2 nights on 2 nights off for nighttime feeding that we implemented when I went back to work. It made it so I had to pump in the mornings after my 2 nights off (which stunk… but I did it first thing when I woke up before I got a workout in – no way I could get non-pumped boobs into a sports bra!) but it left me with the energy to actually workout after having slept through the night. I would only work out those 2 mornings in a row, and then take the next 2 off when I got up with her at night.
Best of luck finding something that works for your family!

39 Lauri January 26, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I am lucky that I have a gym in my building at work and they offer lunchtime classes. I pretty much go everyday at lunchtime, and have since I came back from maternity leave last year. I wasn’t breastfeeding so I didn’t need to pump and that timeframe works out best for me. If I had to work out in the morning or night, I don’t think I would! Certainly not when she was younger and not sleeping well (my daughter is 16 months now, I also have an 8 year old). There were 2 months this year where my gym locker rooms and showers were under renovation and for those 2 months I got up at 5 am everyday and did a video at home. Not ideal but with no middle of the night wakeups I could do that. I say do what you can when you can, and when she is a little older and sleeping better you might hit more of a groove.

40 Wendy January 26, 2016 at 4:35 pm

I was always an evening runner before our second was born but it worked better for me to be a morning runner when I first went back to work. I would head out after he got up to nurse at 4:39 or 5. It’s very cold and dark in Michigan at 5 AM so I prefer to go at night now because it’s a lot easier to get into a warm cozy bed than it is to get out. My only advice is to make sure to have open communication with your husband about what your needs are to get your workout in. It’s good for you to get out and get moving and sometimes makes you feel more refreshed than an extra 30 minutes of sleep.

41 KLM January 26, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Do you (still?) have a bike trainer? My daughter is almost exactly Annalynn’s age and I just got my bike set up on the trainer in our spare room. USING it is another story, but I’m hoping that if I just have it set up, I’ll be more likely to take advantage of the odd 20-minute pocket. I’m also experimenting with working out at the end of the workday, soon after my last pumping session, on the days my husband can pick up from daycare. Don’t know if that’s an option for you — it has to be a short workout so I can meet them at home on time, but it’s something. For the most part, though, I’m only doing scheduled workouts on the weekends, and if anything happens during the week, that’s luck.

42 Kath January 26, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Honestly I did not start working out consistently until my daughter was 8 months old. I weaned her at 8.5 months and that did make working out a lot easier. I did not have to worry about pumping/feeding and could work out when my schedule allowed. Also, her sleep is much more consistent and my husband can help out at night now that she is on formula. Breastfeeding is SO important and I definitely hope you can do it for as long as you want to, but that is just my honest opinion. Now I try to do workout classes on the weekend, workout before work, or after she goes to bed. As a working mom, time with her comes first. I do also recommend workout DVDs at home. I love the Jillian Michael’s ones and feel like those give me as good of a workout as any workout class. Hope this helps. Hang in there…it does get easier.

43 Kim January 26, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I went back to work when my little one was 4 months old. Before that I just walked with him. I didn’t start consistently working out until he was sleeping through the night and I was no longer pumping, which was when he turned a year old. I walked on the weekends and tried to get up and move around at work. Now that I am no longer pumping I work out on my lunch break.

Good luck. And don’t force it. Sleep is a beautiful thing.

44 Kelly January 26, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Things are different now, as I started staying home with my kids when my second was born. But when my oldest was small I still worked. My husband and I used to (pre-baby) have a routine where we would change for the gym at work and meet there as soon as we got out. After my son was born, we started to rotate days. One of us would pick up my son from daycare, the other one would go to the gym. Then we would all meet at home for dinner. I couldn’t work out as often but it got the job done! Now that I’m home full time it is harder, I don’t feel motivated for an evening run after running after my kids all day (vs sitting at my desk like I used to). So it’s 530am for me. My youngest is 2 now though, so I am getting more sleep than you!! 🙂 Just start slow and do what you can. As she gets older I bet you’ll find it gets easier and easier! I ran my first half when my youngest was 9 months old. 🙂
Kelly recently posted..The Well-Read Runner: SLS3 Run Belt GIVEAWAY!

45 Julia January 26, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Thank you being so honest. I feel like real working moms in the blogosphere are hard to come by. Its hard to relate to somebody who “works” from home a few hours a day. I went back to work at 1 year and started doing the following: run/bike to work, run during lunch and i am fortunate to telework 2/wk so time I was not commuting I run/swam. And wknds. My husband and I do one wknd morning each to work out. I do think its best to wait until AL is sleeping longer stretches which will happen. But remember it took you 10 months to gain the weight…so be kind 🙂

46 ChristineB January 26, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I get up stupid early to work out before work, but my kids are all older – 10, 13 and 16 (next month – how did that happen?)

I didn’t start getting remotely serious about working out until my youngest was about 2, so maybe my advice doesn’t really ‘count’. ;P

I say take your time. Enjoy those baby days while they last. It’s amazing how fast kids grow up. Fit in running when you can, but it will always be there waiting for you. That sweet tiny baby won’t always be there.

Thankfully my boys all still are happy to give me hugs whenever I ask, and I am having so much fun with them at the ages they are, but I really can’t believe how fast it all goes by.

47 Rebekah Smith January 26, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I have three boys, 17, 10 and 5…after each one, things just felt tougher and tougher. Once I was ready for a real routine, waking up at 5 am was and still is the ONLY thing that works best. The days I just cannot get up for whatever reason that may be, I try to make my workout a family one if I do it at night. My 5 year old will ride is bike when I run or do a video (half paying attention to it) with me. Granted, I still have to press pause 100 times. The life of a working momma never ends and you make it work the best you can!

48 Aly January 26, 2016 at 6:05 pm

I hear you! I have a 9 month old and it took me quite some time to get back into the routine. What works best for me is working out at 6 a.m. It totally sucks, especially when Henry has a rough night but I love starting my day on an endorphin high. I know Annalynn is still quite young but sleep training is a GAME CHANGER. We did it at 4 months but do whatever you’re comfortable with, just know that you will sleep again :).

49 Jen January 26, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I get up at 5am to run on my treadmill. It’s the only way I get a consistent workout. Of course, it took me until my son was almost 4 to figure it out.

50 Kirsten January 26, 2016 at 7:04 pm

I’m pregnant with my first now and have these grand plans to go on lots of walks with the baby but when the time comes I’ll probably choose sleep ? Can I ask what kind of stroller you have and if you like it?

51 Stephanie January 26, 2016 at 7:06 pm

I would say not to stress about it too much right now. Fit it in when you can, and when you can’t, that’s okay. The time when they’re little is so fleeting. I have a 2 year old and a baby one week older than Annalynn. Once my oldest started sleeping through the night I found that evening workouts were totally doable and as a bonus, I didn’t miss out on any time with her! On the weekends, I usually tried to go when she was napping or do a stroller run. There are also lots of great mommy and me workouts you could do like yoga, stroller strides, etc. There will be plenty of time to workout when she’s older, for now keep doing what you’re doing!

52 Sabrina January 26, 2016 at 8:17 pm

It’s really, really hard, especially as a nursing mom. It gets easier though! You’ll find the right schedule for yourself in time. I LOVE exercise but know that in the first year it will be a struggle for me to get in more than 3 workouts a week if I get in any at all. And that’s ok! They are only this small for so long. I love posts like this because so many moms can relate, including myself!
Sabrina recently posted..Valentina’s 7 month update (and 6 and 5 and 4 and 3…)

53 Alyssa January 26, 2016 at 8:35 pm

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. I really had to redefine what I considered a workout. I would get up super early to exercise before work, but my son was really inconsistent with his nighttime eating (he would always nurse several times a night but the times were all over the place) so I would often end up having to pump first, and then I’d be lucky to have 15-20 minutes to do something, which I would have considered not even worth it before. Once he was old enough I sometimes do a quick stroller run after work, but that’s over now because it gets dark so early. I do have some AMAZING ladies that I meet for stroller runs on the weekends. My son didn’t STTN until his first birthday, and by then I was pregnant again, so I’m glad I didn’t hold out for that! Now that I’m a pregnant working mom, it’s even harder – some days even just ten minutes of SOMETHING is a huge accomplishment. Just do what you can do!
Alyssa recently posted..Second Pregnancy Thoughts: what’s less scary, and what’s more scary

54 Madeline January 26, 2016 at 8:41 pm

5am runs are the only way I’ve ever been able to make it work! We are insanely lucky that my daughter has always been a pretty decent sleeper and has slept through the night consistently from about 6 months (and before then would usually give me a longish stretch), so I started on the 5am runs when I went back to work when she was around 4 months old. Once I got used to the routine (like everything else with a baby!), it got better. The crappy part about breastfeeding is that I always had to build in extra time to pump before runs! It gets a lot easier as they get older, sleep better, and your boobs aren’t seconds away from exploding all the time. My favorite part about morning workouts is that I’m not taking away from anyone’s time except my own! My husband, dog, and daughter are all still sleeping while I’m out there.

55 Kate January 26, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I bet you’ll figure it out as she gets older. This is a REALLY new schedule to adapt to and you have to prioritize time with your baby.

Have you considered doing quick interval workouts at home in the mornings? I just started working full-time (no kids yet… so take this with a grain of salt, lol) after being a student forever, and I do a quick 20 or 25 minute workout every morning, with cardio intervals and weight training intervals. It keeps weight off and doesn’t consume much time!

56 Ashlee January 26, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I completely understand how you feel. My LO is 10 months today (!!) and i’m still struggling with the working out thing. I want my nights and weekends to be all about him since I work. I was crazy and did a marathon at 6 months. Let me just say that I signed up right after I had him and am too cheap to nix the whole idea. It was the hardest race. I’ve given up long distance running until I’m done with kids because I don’t want to be away from him that much. Its crazy how priorities change once babies are in the picture – but definitely change for the better!

57 Debda January 26, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Our baby is 11 months. On weekends, I run or lift weights at home during naptime or while my husband is on baby duty. On weekdays, I do HIIT workouts in the evenings — usually get home from work 6:45, mad scramble for dinner and baby bedtime, baby is in bed by 7:30, I do more work for two hours then work out from about 9:40-10ish. If I have less work, I’ll do a longer workout. It’s not perfect. But it’s better than nothing! Just be really careful of high-impact exercise within 6 months of having the baby. Relaxin takes a while to leave your body, and you can really hurt your joints — obviously some people are fine, but I injured my ankles by jumping rope and running at 3 months p.p. (even though it felt fine at the time) and it took a good 6 months after that for them to get better.

58 Megan January 26, 2016 at 10:15 pm

My little girl just turned 8 mos. old and she still wakes up 2-3 times a night. Like you, I had big plans to get up early to fit my run in, but I’m not there yet…sleep is much needed! So for now I go to the ymca & use their childcare when needed. I go after work 2-3 times a week or during the day on school breaks (i’m a teacher) . The hour I miss with her at home in the evenings was hard at first, but I knew I had to get over it and realize that she’s in good hands with her nanny (days off/weekends i use the Y daycare). Sometimes we all go as a family on Saturday mornings. We plan to take her to the indoor pool after our workout this weekend to fit in some fun time together while we’re there. Have you checked their rates recently? Membership fees vary with your income and on top of that you might get an discount depending on your health insurance coverage.

59 Alexandra January 26, 2016 at 10:43 pm

I honestly wouldn’t worry about working out right now. I certainly didn’t start working out until my daughter started sleeping better. Sleep is absolutely the priority! Don’t have a moment of guilt about that. Now my daughter is 20 months and it’s still tough as a working mom. I get home at 4pm, though, so I can walk or run with the stroller then although in the winter that hasn’t been happening since it gets dark by 430! I do workout on the weekend mornings.

60 Jess January 27, 2016 at 12:59 am

It’s something I struggle to do myself. Even doing a yoga video is a challenge. And my daughter is a pretty good sleeper.

61 Liz January 27, 2016 at 1:12 am

For what it’s worth, I am a stay at home mom and I still struggle with finding time to work out!! I really thought it would be a non-issue since I would be home all day and have “so much time,” but I struggled to fit gym trips into my daughters schedule between naps, nursing, solid meals, and play time. I finally just gave up my gym membership since I wasn’t using it, but fitting in workouts at home has been a struggle too. I feel like I have a gazillion things to do during nap time and since I got pregnant with my second 2 months ago when my daughter was just 9 months old, the early pregnancy fatigue has made early morning workouts a no-go for now. I am trying (not that successfully) to let go of the guilt and just come to terms with the fact that this phase of my life is just probably not going to be my fittest. But it is really hard to give myself that grace, especially when working out has always been so central in my life. All this to say, you are not alone! Motherhood is so all-consuming that I don’t think there’s a mom in this world who has not wrestled with feeling like she has had to put her own goals and passions on hold to make parenting work. I’m sure you (and I) will eventually get a routine going again. Until then, soak up all the baby snuggles!! I figure I’d trade my previously toned abs for more of those any day!! 🙂

62 flora January 27, 2016 at 5:54 am

Oh my. I remember those days. My kids are now 6,8,10 and 12. I used to get up super early or work out late at night instead of chatting with my husband. I remember spending a lot of energy stressing about not getting enough exercise and when and how to fit it in. I was also jealous and resentful of my husband who always seemed to manage to find time to work out. Now I look back and think it was ridiculous. Why did I stress so much? I was never going to be an elite athlete! I had years of racing and working out every day before children (we call it BC) and will again. They are small for such a short time. Give yourself a break but do make a little time for yourself too (if you want it- when I went back to work I wanted to spend every spare minute with my kids). Now they are older I would love to say it is easier…but… now they have a million activities after school… I am a doctor and work full time and it is hard to fit it all in. BUT they do sleep all night now so getting up early is easier…they can cycle along side as I run…or I can swim while they are at swim club. Just enjoy your beautiful baby. You will look back on this period so fondly.

63 Nicole January 27, 2016 at 7:08 am

Welcome to the working mommy struggle! My son did not sleep through the night till he was over 1 years old. Even though my mom living with us I was still up a lot with my son. I would try and work out at night but I was often be really tired but I would try to at least do 30 mins of a work out video like Jillian Michaels. After he was a year old I would get up early and work out. Just remind yourself this is just a stage in life. It will get easier.

64 Melissa January 27, 2016 at 7:41 am

I ran all throughout my pregnancy with my daughter, up until I was induced to have her. 2 weeks post baby, I was at home by myself and would start walking. Then I would start doing some running intervals. I was full out running about 5 weeks post baby. As a full time working mom, I am lucky to say that where I work, I have the ability to workout at lunch time. I have access to a full size gym that has yoga and strength conditioning classes along with many friends/co-workers that are always eager to get out and burn off energy. Without that, I don’t think I would have been able to take off 2 mins off my 5K time just 9 months post baby. However, my daughter is now 2 1/2 I am starting to get burnt out on running and I am looking forward to doing some endurance bike rides.
Working out as a full time working mom is so beyond difficult that I just hope you don’t make yourself discouraged. You have a wonder outlook on it and keeping that positive attitude I think will help you get back at it sooner than you think. Good luck and your are doing awesome!

65 Molly January 27, 2016 at 8:02 am

Great post! So unlike most post partum workout blog posts.

66 Katie D. January 27, 2016 at 8:33 am

Honestly, I haven’t figured it out yet and my first is 18 months and I’m due with #2 in May. I had just started the Couch to 5K program this summer when I started feeling sick all time and couldn’t maintain it. Sick = morning/all sickness and I let my running fall by the way side rather quickly between work, morning sickness, pregnancy exhaustion and chasing a toddler.

When I was doing Couch to 5K, I typically ran with Eleanor in the BOB right after work. I would end our runs at the park so she could get some play time and then walk home (we have a little playground less than 2 blocks from our house).

67 Tracy January 27, 2016 at 8:57 am

When I returned to work after maternity leave I also struggled with finding the time to work out. I had done a great job of working out while on leave but with work, family time, it was on the bottom of the list of priorities. My husband was the real motivator telling me to go to the gym after work (I’ve always been an evening gym goer unless weekends/days offs). He told me the importance of having me time… even if I only had time for 30 minutes. I knew my son was in good hands, and 30 minutes would be OK. I’d still get home in time to play with him, bathe, feed, put him to bed. It was hard at first giving up that time, but after a few weeks I felt back to my old self and I was happier, and my husband was getting daddy son time, I was getting me time… and it was OK.

Since you prefer working out in the morning, I think for now your priority should be sleep. It can be hard to change up things, but maybe working out after work makes more sense for the time being. Until your daughter is sleeping more consistently through the night. Do short workouts, at least it’s something! Focus on your weekends as the time where you get in a serious workout. Over time it will be easier to balance it all.

68 Melissa January 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

I wish I could answer that question! I started working from home right before Ellie was born, so it was a little easier to fit in a workout. She also stopped waking up in the middle of the night at 7 weeks, so I was able to nurse her at 5 am, put her back down, and get a workout in. Your attitude toward it is GREAT though, I wish I could say I could be like that, but I’m pretty sure my OCD and ballerina brain wouldn’t let me.
Melissa recently posted..Be 10% Happier (Or More)

69 Angela January 27, 2016 at 9:36 am

I love that you have such a good attitude about this! Just remember that this is a short season of life and you will be in a completely different place before you know it. When I first went back to work after my oldest was born I did all my workouts at lunch. I was lucky to have a gym across the street from my office and a job that didn’t have slot of face to face with clients so I could rinse off quickly and throw my hair in a sweaty bun 🙂
Now that my kids are older and we sleep through the night I do my workouts in the am.

70 amyloispie January 27, 2016 at 10:04 am

I’m not a runner but I do like to go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I’m one of those crazy people who get up at 4:15am – go to the gym, come home /eat breakfast/shower and then my son wakes up around 6:45am-7am. I don’t have an option of going any later in the morning as my husband leaves for work at 6:20am and like you, am unwilling to give up my time with my child in the evening. My son is 18 months though and sleeping through the night. I think when he was your daughter’s age I went to the gym maybe 3x a week…unfortunately it was still at the crack of dawn before my husband left for work and could give him a bottle in my absence. You will figure it out, don’t worry!

71 Haley January 27, 2016 at 10:32 am

It really is tough! I jumped back into it right away, but I kind of just NEED my runs to make me feel normal… and no surprise, but the days I ran I always felt the best energy-wise. I was like you where I just didn’t know when the best time was. I compromised and did a little bit of everything…. one day/week I got up early and went before work, one day I did it the second I walked in the door, and then I always worked out at least once on the weekend.

72 Ashley J January 27, 2016 at 11:49 am

Early on I was happy to just sneak in little bursts of exercise. Try the Scientific 7-Minute workout. You can do it entirely at home in your living room while baby is hanging out watching. Or other super quick HIIT-type workouts (like from Youtube). Getting out of the house to go to a gym or on a lengthy run was tough for me. If you’re in the same situation, you might get more bang for your buck to stick to short HIIT workouts as opposed to a more lengthy and leisurely run (especially when time is limited!)

73 Alexa @ thespottedbulldog January 27, 2016 at 2:07 pm

girl I am right there with you! My daughter is 9 months old and I took her for her first run with me in the jogging stroller this past weekend. I am able to run once a day on Saturday and Sunday and I try really hard to fit a run in during the week. I am hoping that she likes the jogging strolled and can join me on these outings. However pushing that sucker does add to my time!
Alexa @ thespottedbulldog recently posted..9 Month Update

74 Megan January 27, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Sounds like you’re doing the right thing with your time – spending it with Annalynn! I haven’t worked out at all despite my best intentions even when Claire started sleeping through the night, and I feel zero guilt. Baby snuggles are way more beneficial to my health. Besides, lifting a baby is basically the same thing as using free weights, right? ?

I know all babies are different, but the book Bringing Up Bebe was a huge help to us with all-night sleeping tips. (or Bebe Day by Day to save on time)

75 Lauren January 27, 2016 at 3:41 pm

First of all, you look GREAT and, from your posts, are killing it being a working and pumping mama. I had my second in October and have been doing at home workouts since I was cleared. I did 21 day fix and am currently doing 21 day fix extreme. They’re 30 minutes and I actually get worked. I’m not currently following the meal plan to protect my milk supply. I have some videos on my Instagram of some of the 21 day fix extreme moves– @lauren.garraux

76 Laura January 27, 2016 at 4:01 pm

I started running when my daughter was 3 weeks old (I had permission from my OB to workout early) when my husband came home from work. They were only 30 minute runs 3 times a week so it wasn’t hard to fit in. The other days I walked. I received a BOB for Christmas which was a game changer! Now I go on 3 3-4 mile runs each week with Emma and the dog in the afternoons! I’m swimming one day a week-either on a Saturday or one night one my husband is home. Then I leave Emma with the husband on Sundays mornings to take a community yoga class. It hasn’t seemed that hard to me so far to fit in the exercise. The Nike Training Club app is also amazing as it has plenty of workouts I can do from home! I should point out I’m formula feeding so it’s easy for my husband to feed her as needed. My husband also goes to the gym about 3 days a week when he gets home from work. I return to work in 2.5 weeks and this is my plan: looking into buying a used trainer so I can bike for one hour one night per week after my daughter is down for the night, strength train 2 days/week at the work gym during lunch, swim one day per week while Emma is still in daycare, run 1-2 days after work with Emma in the BOB with our dog, one long run or bike ride on Saturdays and yoga on Sundays. I’m training for a 70.3 in June so it should be interesting to see how my plan works out! I’m going to focus on quality workouts vs. quantity of workouts this year.

77 Nicole January 27, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I loved reading all the comments on this post! I am lucky to have a 6 month maternity leave and have been working out regularly since my baby turned 6 weeks (she’s almost 4 months). I work out while she naps and usually it works out. I am the type that has to work out pretty much every day for my mental health (I was starting to go crazy during those final weeks before I was cleared to work out again) so I know I’ll make something work when I go back to work. My thought is that I will work out in the mornings, since a few days a week I get up with my husband now to work out at 5:30 before he goes to work (we do P90X). We’re lucky that our girl just wakes up once a night though, usually around 4-5 a.m. so it works out well for now. I have a feeling once I’m back at work if I miss that morning workout, then the most I’ll get is a walk after work with the stroller or carrier because time with her will be more important.

78 Julie January 27, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I haven’t read the other comments, but from my point-of-view, don’t worry about it! It will come together when you are ready (when schedules and sleep allow). There is a lot going on right now, and it is temporary.

If you really feel like you must do something beyond all that you already are — try to sneak in activity (in the office, with the baby) stay hydrated, and as best you can, try to eat well for energy. It’s only recently (and my baby is 14 months) that I get woken up 0-1 times a night and have *some* energy to prioritize fitness, so things can fall into place once your basic sleep needs are met.

Of course, if I read this when I was 4 months pp, I wouldn’t have bought it, but looking back, I really wish I had just gone easier on myself. There’s no need to compare to other moms, working or otherwise — we all have different circumstances, and these months are a blip on the radar when you think about it.

79 Amanda January 27, 2016 at 5:58 pm

I work out before work 2-3 days a week and then take a yoga class that starts after her bedtime 1 day a week. My husband will run while I cook dinner on my non yoga nights . Weekends we either go for family hikes or will take advantage of our gym’s free childcare. I was able to adjust my work hours so I pick her up from daycare by 4. This works amazing for us…my husband gets an hour or so solo with her in the morning and I get the same in the afternoon then we have a little family time while we get her ready for bed.

80 Pete Williams January 27, 2016 at 6:44 pm

My wife and I were in the worst shape of our lives when our oldest was 2. Our diets had gone south and we were sleep deprived, rarely training. Even now with our boys 13 and 10 it’s a tag-team effort (perhaps even more so in the taxi years) with me working out at 5:30 a.m. and her at 5:30 p.m.

I’m guessing you’ll dial down your fitness goals. I know so many women who were avid triathletes who swore they’d be back within months of giving birth for the first time and never came back. It’s a change of mindset and, like anything else, when you get away from something, it doesn’t seem as important as it once did. I’ve been dealing with this because of injuries that have prevented me from running and doing tris for over a year. But I’ve embraced yoga and other things.

81 molly rose January 27, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Love your attitude girlfriend. No kids over here and I choose sleep over working out quite often! Listen to your bod- it will let you know when it’s ready to train hard again 🙂

ps great seeing you at fit2run the other week! 🙂

82 Michelle Brandon January 27, 2016 at 9:36 pm

What got me back into a routine was my sweet dog! I walked or ran with him daily before the baby; why stop after? My husband would either push the stroller while pup and I ran ahead, or we would walk together. Occasionally hubby and baby would stay home and have floor- time while pup and I did some intense runs. Give it a try once or twice a week, even for 15 minutes… I’m sure Maddie is game!

83 Katie @ Live Half Full January 27, 2016 at 10:02 pm

I think setting expectations was necessary for me. I made the decision to either wake up before my baby wakes up or after he goes to bed when I went back to work. Now I workout at 5:00am for 30 minutes twice per week and try to go to yoga once on a weeknight plus I always go to a Body Pump class on Saturday mornings as my “me time”. If that’s all I can do for now, I’m cool with it.

84 Jill January 28, 2016 at 10:16 am

Seems like you have plenty of comments already but I’ll weigh in as well. Lunch is the only time I have found works for me. I have two kids, ages 4.5 and 1.5. I run during my lunch break 4 days a week, the other day of the week I have lunch with my husband. We have a locker room in my building with a shower, so I can do a 4.3 mile run and shower in an hour. I was hesitant to work out at lunch while I was pumping for the same reasons as you. Felt guilty for taking an hour lunch when I also had pumping breaks, and didn’t want to stay at work any longer than necessary. Honestly, I think that was partially the reason I only breastfed/pumped for 4-5 months with each kid. It was too hard to do everything.
You will find a balance and you will find the path that works for you! One day you will just feel ready to jump back into exercise and make it happen! Don’t worry if you don’t feel like that, yet. There is no rush!

85 Grace January 29, 2016 at 9:04 am

Don’t worry about it, and don’t rush it. Think about it – you have your whole life, literally, what, 40-50 more years? – to make working out a priority. Your baby will only be this little for another few years. I didn’t start formally working out at all until I stopped pumping at work at a year, both because my normal lunch break workout was spent pumping instead, and because I wanted to make it to a year EBF and I didn’t want to risk decreasing my already tenuous supply. I didn’t start pushing myself with workouts until my daughter started to sleep through the night at 18 months.
Being a working mom is HARD, and adds so much more guilt and stress. Even now, four years into parenting, I still feel guilty every time I leave my daughter on the weekend to workout. So I usually workout on my lunch break at work, or wake up super early to workout before she gets up. I refuse to give up any of my precious time with her, so getting up at super early some mornings to fit in a long run or brick is worth it to me.
Oh and one more tip, your daughter’s coming up on 4 months? You’re probably about to enter the 4 month sleep regression. My daughter was down to 1-2 wake ups at three months, and then at four months she started waking up every hour or two to nurse. Luckily we were already co-sleeping (side-lying nursing for the win!) so it was bearable, but her sleep didn’t get back to 1-2 wake ups until she was 14 months. Totally healthy and normal in EFB babies (especially with working moms, they need to “fill their bucket” so to speak with your physical affection when they can – at night). So you may want to prepare yourself and put whatever resources and help you have in place for when and if she hits the normal sleep regressions. The wonder weeks app can help, it lets you know when the typical sleep regressions hit (4 months, 7-9 months, 12 months, etc). Hopefully Annalynn will continue to be a great sleeper for you, but most babies do go through sleep regressions, so it’s something to keep in mind.

86 Molly Dunham January 29, 2016 at 10:56 am

I had this problem until 7 months myself until I almost caved and bought a treadmill for 1,000 – what a mistake that would have been. At home workouts are where its AT! 30 minutes, and I’m there right when my son wakes up from a nap. Happy to get you more information on what worked for me.

87 Sara January 29, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I started running with my son at about 5 weeks post c section with both midwife and pediatrician clearance. At first we ran on an indoor track in the evenings after work and daycare. Around 6 months I switched to running in the morning around 5am. I have a long commute and this was the only way to fit it in and still get that snuggle and nursing time that I need. I still push my now 2 year old son but I definitely prefer the early morning me time. I often want to skip it and sleep in but it’s such a great way to start the day 3-4 days per week.
I’m not sure if this has been mentioned but my local chapter of Mom’s Run This Town (MRTT) is amazing. I’ve made new friendships with other moms in my area which was something that was lacking after my son was born. My running has never been better after finding MRTT. Good luck-you will find what works best for you!

88 Trish January 30, 2016 at 7:15 am

This is the schedule I have done since my son was 6 weeks: Twice a week I do crossfit, my husband goes to the class before me and then I go to my class and we just exchange our son. Then we take turns running with him. Like I get Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings and he gets Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Our son is 9 months old now and it seems to be working still. Also, not sure if your city has this but there is a group called Hike It Baby that does different hikes around town with other moms.

89 The Many Thoughts of a Reader January 30, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I think when my daughter was 2 1/2 months I tried doing the couch to 5k again in the evenings when my husband came home. Like right at 5:15 when he walked in the door. Then I went back to work ha. Ummm then I didn’t really consistently work out again until she was about 9 months. And then it was on a treadmill at night after she went to bed. She is now 4.5 and while it’s easier now I am NOT a morning workout person. Been there, tried it a gazillion times and it is not for me. So I do best right when she goes to bed. Not until this year did I have a job where I oculd possibly work out during lunch time but now I could make it work if I wanted to pay money to join the Y by my work (need a shower cuz I see clients). My best bet is putting it in my calendar. But time with my kiddo always wins, so if it doesn’t get in that night, it doesn’t get in. She will also sometimes work out with me but whatever. Hey, walks win at this point!

90 Jessica February 1, 2016 at 5:26 pm

CrossFit was my lifesaver. One hour a few times a week and I at least felt like I was resembling something of my old self. HIIT workouts in general are efficient by design, and they can be done from home!
Jessica recently posted..Friday Link-up and Loving Lately

91 Katie February 2, 2016 at 10:30 am

My son is 10 months old and I just run on the weekends (or during holiday breaks). He is still nursing and not sleeping well at night so working out in the morning is tough. Also, after work it is enough to get my kids fed, bathed and in bed. My plan is to work out more in the evening once spring rolls around and I have more daylight to work with.

92 Tricia February 6, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I’m a full time working mom of 2. They’re 2 (26.5 months, so just turned 2) and 11.5 months. 15 months apart. I struggle with this! It was hard after my first but impossible at times after my second. I’m up at 5am and leave the house with them by 6:30am. My husband leaves before they’re awake. I’m home at 4pm but we eat dinner at 5pm. They’re in bed by 7pm. Once the baby was sttn I got serious about a plan. Before that I would fit it in when I could. I went back up work when he was 6 months old. So now my goal is 2 workouts after bedtime during the work week. And both weekend days usually during naps. But it’s HARD. I have laundry and chores. My workouts are only 30 min now compared to 90. I hate the “no excuses” mantra for workouts when it comes to balancing mom life. They’re not excuses. There’s only so much time in a day. I try to eat as healthy as possible but that is really difficult too bc of work sometimes.

93 McKenzie February 8, 2016 at 7:24 pm

I wish I had the answer but I’m struggling with this too! Prior to having my son, I was up at 5am to workout almost everyday. Between having him 8 months ago & starting a new job where I go in at 7 instead of 8, coupled with him waking up at least once a night, I can’t get into a routine. I try to after work but he goes to bed at 530 & then I’m ready for dinner & bed myself. My husband & I are going to try to start a rotating schedule so I hope to start working out for 30 minutes right after work a few days a week – and some things on the weekend when there is more time, but it’s still hard!