Day in the life: 1/13/16

by Meghann on January 13, 2016

A day in the life of a new working pumping mom of a 3 month old.

12:28 AM:  Baby starts to stir. I wasn’t home to put Annalynn to sleep that night due to a work event, so I practically jump out of bed to feed her. I soak in the midnight cuddles and watch in awe as she nurses.

12:37 AM: Annalynn pulls off, lets out a sigh, and closes her eyes. I gently set her back in the pack ‘n’ play and turn the lights off before going back to bed.

3:32 AM: Baby is back up. I pick her up quickly and grab my phone to check Facebook.

3:39 AM: Annalynn pulls off and I gently put her back in the pack ‘n’ play. I turn the lights off and go back to bed.

3:45 AM: My eyes pop open. Annalynn is still tossing and turning. Dang it. I reluctantly turn the light back on and put her on the other boob to nurse.

3:52 AM: She pulls off again and this time I believe she’s finaly asleep. I put her down and cross my fingers as I go back to bed.

6:30 AM: Alarm goes off – time to get up. I sneak out of bed and let Maddie out.

6:35 AM: The baby is stirring, but I need to shower before I can get her up. I quickly jump in to wash off my body while keeping my hair dry. I jump out almost as quickly as I got in.

6:45 AM: I pick Annalynn up and bring her to her room to change her diaper. She starts cooing and my boobs start leaking. I quickly grab two diapers, one for the baby and the other for my chest.

6:55 AM:  I bring Annalynn to the couch and nurse her while turning on the Today show. She keeps pulling off and smiling at me. Part of me wants to keep her at the task at hand, but the other part loves the morning smiles.

7:05 AM: Annalynn goes in the bouncer in the kitchen while I make breakfast and start prepping my lunch and pump bag for the day. I sing songs, do funny dances, and play “peak-a-boo” while making my way around the kitchen.

20160113_070348

7:20 AM: Breakfast is done. I eat my food on the living room while playing with Annalynn on the floor. We do tummy time and play with some of her favorite toys.

20160113_071906

7:30 AM: I scoop Annalynn off the floor and feed the dog before handing Annalynn off to her dad (who is still in bed). She “sits” on his stomach while I rummage through my closet asking for her opinion on what to wear. She smiles as I pull out a few shirt options and reaches out when I bring them near her.

7:35 AM: I get dressed and finish my hair. Meh. This will do.

7:40 AM: Finish packing my lunch, the pump bag, and check my purse to make sure I have everything I need.

7:45 AM:  Last baby snuggles before I head out the door!

20160113_074555

7:50 AM: Leave for work.

8:35 AM: Arrive at work. After two days of terrible traffic, this time feels amazing!

9:15 AM: It’s a co-worker’s birthday. Donuts and gummies are consumed.

20160113_132113

10:00 AM: Pump time. My first pump of the day is always my best. I fill two bottles with a total of 9.5 oz (only sharing numbers because I’m always curious what other people pump. I’ll do another post with more pumping details once I’ve had a little more time under my belt)

20160113_100431

11:45 AM: My meeting reminder goes off and I have no idea where the morning went. My co-worker and I head out of the office for an off site meeting.

12:30 PM: Back in the office and I realize I left my phone in my co-worker’s care. Fail. I waste 15 minutes going back to the parking garage to claim it.

1:00 PM: Time to pump again. This time I get a comfortable 6 oz.

20160113_131615

1:20 PM: Finally get a chance to eat my lunch. Today’s eats include a roast beef pita, cantaloupe, and sparkling water.

20160113_132207

4:00 PM: Last pump of the day. 4.5 oz.

20160113_162158

5:30 PM: Quittin’ time! Pack up my stuff and head home.

6:20 PM: Finally make it home and head straight to Annalynn for kisses and snuggles.

6:30 PM: Nurse Annalynn while Facetiming my parents (who are also Facetiming Kelly on the other iPad – it was a big family Facetiming party). She finishes nursing and coos for Amma and Pop Pop.

6:50 PM: Give Annalynn a bath. She loves her baths.

7:00 PM: Enjoy a few more snuggles on the couch before bed time.

20160113_185851

7:10 PM: Prep Annalynn for bed.

7:15 PM: Nurse Annalynn while eating the yummy bean soup Derek made for dinner.

20160113_184625

7:40 PM: Move Annalynn to the pack ‘n’ play for the night

8:00 PM: Prep tomorrow’s bottles and freeze the extra. Annalynn usually drinks about 11 oz while I’m gone.

20160113_194601

8:05 PM: Clean the bottles and pump parts.

8:15 PM: Start writing this blog post while watching The Daily Show with the husband.

9:00 PM: Head to bed and cross my fingers for a good night of sleep.

Good Night!

1 Rachael January 13, 2016 at 9:12 pm

You are a superstar and your daughter is adorable!! I’m on mat leave with my 3.5 mth old daughter and we are ebf as well. I pump occasionally for a small freezer stash when I go out, and I’ve never pumped more than 5 oz total in a session. My supply is great for nursing but I guess I’m not a great pumper? How long are your pumping sessions?

2 Meghann January 14, 2016 at 8:00 am

5 oz is great! That’s what I would get during naptime pumping sessions before I went back to work. It makes a difference when there’s 3 hrs between sessions and no nursing in between.

3 Tracy January 13, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Your pumping amounts are amazing! I exclusively pump every 2-3 hours and never, ever get anywhere close to your amounts in one sitting. What’s your secret?

4 Anne January 14, 2016 at 4:51 am

I think the secret is breastfeeding. 🙁 I pump exclusively too, and I never get these amounts. What helped me was a little bit of a less predictable schedule, and keeping at least three hours between pumping. Maybe every two hours is too stressful for your body? Having a good pump helps too. Drinking lots of fluid is the only thing that really seems to help (and I tried oatmeal, flax, brewer’s yeast, breastfeeding teas etc). O, and the occasional powerpump helps too: first, three days where you pump 10 minutes, stop ten minutes, pump ten minutes, stop ten minutes and pump ten minutes in the morning. The next three days, keep doing that, but add doing this to your evening routine. It really helped me. Have you visited Kelly mom? That site has great info. Also, google a bit. There are some great tips (including how to make pumping hands free with just four hair ties!) http://www.mamaandbabylove.com/2012/03/07/how-to-increase-your-milk-supply/

Actually, to be honest, I wish Meghann would not post how much milk she pumps – I’ll stop reading here because it is making me sad – I am putting so so much time and effort in pumping and then hearing her complain about pumping only at work and seeing the amounts she gets.. I’ll see myself out.

5 Cara January 14, 2016 at 9:55 am

I’m sorry that reading her blog gets you down, this topic is always a hot one that many people have lots of opinions over. You should be crazy proud of the fact that you are giving your baby breastmilk, no matter what form its coming in!
Cara recently posted..Friday Favorites

6 Anne January 14, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Thank you so much for your kind comment. <3

7 Mindy B. January 14, 2016 at 10:03 am

I don’t think she was ever complaining in this post. She is a hard working mama and is doing an amazing job juggling the daily demands of her career and pumping right in the middle of it.

8 Tracy January 14, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Thanks, Anne! Glad to know I’m not alone in the EP’ing world. I’m doing many of the things you mentioned, including a nightly power pump. I’m proud of myself for reaching my 2-3oz/pumping session, up from 1/2-1oz just a few weeks ago. I’ve been able to feed my sweet girl on only breastmilk and feel very, very blessed to be able to do that. EP’ing is so, so hard. I am a little jealous of people like Meghann who, in comparison to our experiences, seem to have it easy when it comes to b’feeding. But, this is her blog and her life and she’s allowed to share her experiences as she wishes. I do wish more b’feeding mothers (not just Meghann) understood how difficult – physically, mentally and emotionally – EP’ing is, and how we’d love to nurse our babies and only need to pump while at work or when otherwise separated from our babies. That being said, every Mama has her struggles, and I hope we’ll all support each other. Keep on keepin’ on Mama!

9 Meghann January 14, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Hi Tracy, You are superwoman. You’re right, I don’t understand how difficult it is to be an EP-er and I bow down to all women who do. It’s an incredible thing you are doing for your daughter. However, I do want to defend myself and other b’feeding mamas. Every b’feeding mama (and I will count you in this loop) has their own struggles and I’ve yet to meet one person who said this was easy. We had latch issues when my milk came in and I had to pump bottles to feed her for the first week of her life. I was super lucky and fought like hell to establish our nursing relationship (and still use a nipple shield to get her to latch). Like I said, I was lucky that the nipple shield worked, but I know that’s not always the case with a latch issue. There were times my baby was screaming because she was so hungry and I was trying to hard to get her to eat and we were both in tears. Breastfeeding is hard, especially in the beginning, and no matter what road a woman takes to feed her child should be met with respect and admiration. I admire you because I’m not sure I could have made it as an EPer. Kick-ass on the rest of your journey and enjoy feeding that baby.

Also, here’s a more in-depth post regarding our BF struggles http://mealsandmiles.com/2015/10/23/5-things-i-did-wrong-with-breastfeeding-and-5-things-i-did-right/

10 Tracy January 14, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for replying, Meghann. I didn’t mean to put you down or make your experience seem easy (though I realize my choice of words might imply as such). It’s just hard to have gone through all of the same struggles (nipple shields, 2 lactation consultants, tongue and lip tie issues, etc) only to not be able to b’feed the way I’d wanted to. It’s sometimes made harder to see others overcome these obstacles, as proud as I am of you and others for being able to do so. Does that make sense? It’s a crappy place to be in for me, for sure. All that said, I’m very sorry for making you feel the need to defend yourself. I’ve always thought you’re doing a great job!

11 Anne January 14, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Meghann, I didn’t mean to devalue your experiences but, as Tracy pointed out too, I have gone through all those struggles as well – otherwise I wouldn’t be pumping. I don’t think breastfeeding is easy (when my husband gives my son a bottle of pumped milk in the middle of the night – yeah, that is definitely a perk, especially now my night pumping days are over.) and every way of feeding has its advantages and disadvantages. I do however hope you will take into consideration that, because breastfeeding (pumping or directly from the source) is so hard, you maybe don’t need to exactly show how much you are pumping – just because not everyone is so lucky with the supply you seem to have and we don’t need to make this any harder on other women – who are breastfeeding, EP’ing or formula feding – than it already is.

12 Anne January 14, 2016 at 3:46 pm

‘But, this is her blog and her life and she’s allowed to share her experiences as she wishes.’

You are right about that – that’s why I said I’ll unsubscribe from this blog. I do wish however that people would be more considerate of eachother and understand that numbers can be triggering (not sure if that is the right word – I am not a native English speaker). That is a form of support too: not rub others noses in what is going well for you, because yes, every mom has her struggles and there is just no need to talk about numbers like these.

13 Kelly January 15, 2016 at 7:03 am

I agree, I think nothing was accomplished by posting pictures of full milk bottles except for making moms struggling with supply feel bad and discouraged. You have to know that was a lot of milk, so to me it just seems like a brag. I had supply issues with my first, and just enough with my second and we are still going strong at 13 months. You don’t need to make 9 oz to be doing a great job moms! Remember anything is good for baby and be kind to yourself.

14 Bianca January 17, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Everyone needs to chill the heck out. I never produced any milk at all. Zero. Nada. It was and is a great personal tragedy. I can still see Meghann’s milk and be happy for her. If you can’t do that, don’t look at media from someone with an infant. My formula fed baber is happy and healthy.

15 Ash Diamond January 13, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Pumping sounds exhausting but I am glad it’s working for you and that adorable, smiling face!I love your hair sthort btw!

16 Vanessa January 13, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Super Mom! I actually loved reading what your day looks like now that you’re a new mama. Keep up the good work, lady!
Vanessa recently posted..Local Product Reviews | Heidi Ho & Better Bean Company

17 Mrs swan January 13, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Your pumping amounts are ah-mazing! Like absolutely amazing! With taking supplements and oatmeal and reglan I was lucky to get .5 oz. Now I know damn well that the baby is more efficient at getting milk than pump but I also had a hospital grade pump. I am in awe of your milk production. I always wondered if bf would have been easier if I made lots of milk (3 day for ds1 and 1 wk (pump and reglan) with ds2)

18 Mrs swan January 13, 2016 at 9:40 pm

31 wks with a girl and I am hoping my milk will magically appear. Lol
Mrs swan recently posted..Ultrasound pics

19 Katie January 13, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Way to go!!!! Keep up the good work….all three of you!
Katie recently posted..Don’t Wait: Buy the Flowers

20 Holly January 13, 2016 at 10:59 pm

I’m glad you are pumping and breastfeeding. Most of the bloggers I follow seemed to have quit early on. (truthfully some seemed too interested in getting their body “back” but maybe I’m wrong about that) I understand it isn’t for everyone and some have REAL struggles. But I feel like I can relate to you because you seem to be committed to breastfeeding – so keep it up!

21 Dannie January 13, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Definitely interesting to see pumping amounts. I stay at home with my babe and exclusively breastfeed but pump every now and then when I need to get more comfortable or if my husband wants to feed her. I usually get between 8-12oz in the morning and always thought that was average but apparently it’s quite a bit! Are you still using a nipple shield? Also, Johnson and Johnson makes great nursing pads that would solve your diaper problem!

22 Meghann January 14, 2016 at 8:16 am

Yep, still using the nipple shield. My LC believes there’s a lip tie issue that we need to have resolved. I wear reusable nursing pads regularly but I was only wearing a robe yesterday morning and needed to grab something quick that would stay in place. The diaper always works well in a pinch.

23 Jess January 14, 2016 at 10:13 am

I like using burp rags. I have a stash in every room of my house.

24 heather @ fit mama real food January 13, 2016 at 11:47 pm

It is so much fun seeing the baby stage again! I absolutely love day in the life posts. It is so easy to forget what life was like during th first few months. Bravo to you being a working and pumping mama!

25 Nicole January 14, 2016 at 1:14 am

Agreed that those pumping amounts are spectacular !

Thanks for this post – I go back in March and it’s nice to hear that you’re still getting some quality time with your little girl while working full time. I like the idea of some morning play time instead of rushing out the door! I feel like my schedule will be similar but I also want to work out so I guess that’ll mean 5 am wake up ! 🙁
Nicole recently posted..Should Out to My “Blog Friends”

26 Meghann January 14, 2016 at 8:13 am

I’m still trying to figure out when to workout because I love my sleep so much. It’s tough!

27 Lexi January 14, 2016 at 7:24 pm

As the mother of a 10 month old (so basically I’m totally an expert hahahaha, kidding of course! I’m still figuring this ish out) and who works full time, I’d suggest waiting till they are sleeping through the night before stressing about fitting in a workout. This time is so fleeting and so precious, it’s not worth missing out on time with your babies during the week just to work out. And also, SO tiring. You’re already going going going all day, waking up an extra hour earlier to exercise is craziness. Get sleep where you can and know that it won’t always be this way (our nursing/pumping days are numbered and I’m getting sentimental about it!)

28 Christina January 19, 2016 at 7:47 am

Dont fret the workout yets, my oldest was 4.5mo when i went back to work full time and just working, dealing with chores at home, and pumping, was about as much as i could handle for a month or so. Then i added in a couple of lunch time workouts and one late evening class at the gym plus a sat class and a family walk on sunday. It wasnt until about 8 mo that i could get a full weeks worth of workouts in (either lunch or late when she went to bed). The point is, you have decades ahead of you to workout and you only have a baby for a few months so enjoy her and do what you can. The conpetition to be so fit after baby is so insignificant in the whelm of what really matters in life.

29 Meghann January 19, 2016 at 8:49 am

Thank you 🙂 You’re absolutely right.

30 Lily January 14, 2016 at 2:38 am

This is so interesting! I’m currently at home with my 3-week-old, and we definitely aren’t in a consistent rhythm yet. I’ve been pumping since she came home due to latch issues, which are thankfully resolved now, but I’m so confused about when to nurse vs pump, do I wake her to nurse if she sleeps long, how will that affect supply, etc. Trying to prep for going back to work in March, but there are so many unknowns with an infant!

31 Meghann January 14, 2016 at 8:11 am

We had latch issues in the beginning, too, so i pumped a lot at first. Once those were resolved I put the pump away and didn’t bring it back out until she was a month old and even then I would only pump when I was going out and she needed to eat while I was gone. Once she started taking a consistent morning nap i started pumping every other day during that nap time to build my freezer stash.

32 Lauren January 15, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Most people would recommend you not pump right now (obviously only since your latch issues have been resolved) and let baby establish your supply until about 6 weeks. Once my peanut started eating on only one side I would pump the other side once a day in the morning. It allowed me to build a small freezer stash but not cause an oversupply or any problems. You don’t need a huge freezer stash – each day you pump at work you should be providing for the next day so the freezer is just for emergencies.
Ask your pediatrician about how long to go if she is sleeping. My ped who has done a fellowship in breastfeeding medicine said once my baby had regained her birthweight I could let her go 5 maybe 6 hours without feeding once a day (so ideally that long stretch would be at night haha!) because we had latch issues in the beginning. If your little one is eating about 8 times a day and having enough wet/dirty diapers then you probably don’t need to wake her.
Lauren recently posted..Feline Friday: Outdoor Edition

33 Kelly January 14, 2016 at 7:41 am

The good old pumping lifestyle! I will be joining you when I go back to work in March.
I’m sorry you have such a long commute – That makes it hard. 🙁
Anxiously awaiting my Mama’s Milk Box shipment! Thank you so much for that review!
Kelly recently posted..2016 Race Calendar

34 Katie D. January 14, 2016 at 8:30 am

I had flashbacks when I saw the bottles of pumped milk!! I’ll be joining the pumping mom crowd in about 20 weeks!

35 Marty January 14, 2016 at 9:32 am

Loved reading this post. I’m a SAHM to a ten week old and I love learning about what life as a working momma looks like. It seems tough, but it sounds like your doing a great job and figuring out your groove. I’m so impressed you find time for packing your lunch still!

36 [email protected] January 14, 2016 at 9:32 am

Awww, your day sounds almost exactly like mine when my hubby was a SAHD! (Except I worked 7-4, so the times are a little different.) I would always pump after the 3/4am nursing because there was SO MUCH milk, and I’d leave the house before she woke up again. This post brings back so many memories! 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Weekly Goals and Living for the Weekend

37 Cara January 14, 2016 at 9:52 am

I LOVED the middle of the night feedings (yes I’m a minority here)! I loved spending that sweet time with them and I had a little moms devotional book that I would read too. Brings back wonderful memories!

And just a little sidenote….Breastfeeding/pumping is HARD! It sucks when you have a baby who’s latch is not correct and causing pain, and it sucks when you plop yourself down and have to pump. I successfully nursed all 3 of my girls for quite awhile, but not without major difficulties. I have exclusively breastfed and pumped and both have their issues. If anyone is having issues, I would suggest contacting a La Leche League leader who can talk with you and help you through some of those difficult things. If I hadn’t found a leader with my second daughter, I don’t know that I would have continued on!
Cara recently posted..Friday Favorites

38 Jess January 14, 2016 at 10:12 am

Your output is amazing! I average between 2 to 5 oz a session. Luckily my daughter only takes about 8 oz a day so it’s fine. She prefers mom to a bottle and just cluster feeds at night.

39 Melissa January 14, 2016 at 10:13 am

Your day sounds busy, but it also sounds like you have a good handle on it and are cherishing the mornings and evenings! Mad props to you for pumping all day. It’s so annoying but a mom’s gotta do what a mom’s gotta do!
Melissa recently posted..Life Update: The First 11 Days of 2016

40 Jess January 14, 2016 at 10:15 am

Protip…you can get on a group chat in Google hangouts!

41 Anne Weber-Falk January 14, 2016 at 10:55 am

A word of advice for middle of the night nursing. Don’t turn on the light. it’s too stimulating for both of you. Have a small night light instead.

42 Katie @ Live Half Full January 14, 2016 at 2:28 pm

You and Derek are such a great team! I’m also really impressed with your pumping at work! That was my plan too, but it wasn’t in the cards for me. I was only getting 1-2 oz per pumping session and it’s just not worth it so I weaned. It was sad but it feels good now that the stress is lifted.
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..My Meal Planning “Formula”

43 Dannie January 14, 2016 at 3:11 pm

You gotta get Derek to get up in the morning, man! My husband takes our baby every weekend morning so I can sleep in/shower. You should get Derek to do the same for you while you’re working, that way you don’t have to rush your shower. He’s not getting up in the night, so why not have him help out in the mornings? That would drive me CRAZY. (Then again I also get coffee delivered to me in bed every weekday morning while I feed the baby so maybe I’m just spoiled haha!)

44 Mallory January 15, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I thought the same! Why should he lay in bed up until the very last minute when you are running around all morning?

45 Lindsey Lou January 14, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I’m just glad you “gently” put her in the Pack n’ Play instead of throwing her in there! 🙂 Sounds like things are going great, congrats!

46 Tina January 14, 2016 at 3:17 pm

It’s interesting to read all the comments about breastfeeding/pumping/formula feeding, etc. I’m breastfeeding and I don’t know, but it just doesn’t seem like THAT big of a deal. I just feed my kid. I don’t feel the need for a hero cookie or to shout it to the world. I think we could and should support all moms by NOT making it such a big deal. Yes, moms need support, and yes, breastfeeding should be normalized, but not at the expense of making other moms feel like shit. Honestly, I think it’s time to dial back the breastfeeding talk or else you might find yourself alienating your readers, both moms and non-moms alike. There’s so much more to being a good mom than breastfeeding and I can’t help but wonder why you’re so hyper focused on it? You’ve done a good job. Pat yourself on the back and give struggling moms a break.

47 Jenny January 14, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Such a great comment, Tina. I felt a bit hyper focused on breastfeeding my daughter. Part of it, I think, was because my birth experience kind of sucked and made me feel like a failure. So a part of me was like, well, I hope at least I don’t fail at breastfeeding, too. I nursed her for about 6 months, although it was a struggle the whole time. Then we switched to formula, and you know what? IT WAS FINE.

I’m now breastfeeding baby #2 and it’s going better – but it’s just feeding my kid. Shrug. I assume we’ll again end up using formula and I’m totally ok with it. And I know with a 3-month-old, a lot of your day is about feeding baby. But if I had to think back to my day (and I’m also breastfeeding a 3-month-old and pump at work), there is so much more I would care to document besides feeding and pumping.

48 Laura January 15, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Yes to this! I have PPA this time around, and your site is triggering. I think I’ll take a good long break. Kudos to you for this success, especially knowing that your whole journey to motherhood hasn’t been perfect. But I think if you had been able to have a natural birth, I would hope you wouldn’t be hyper focused on that in your writing out of sensitivity to other moms. Any way, I know you’re postpartum, and going back to work, and busting your butt so I don’t mean to sound too harsh. Give yourself a major high five, just work on the sensitivity I think.
Also get that husband up so you can shower, girl! I’m a SAHM, and my husband and I trade off so everyone can get clean and ready each morning. A quiet shower is like medicine for the soul!!

49 Ericka @ The Sweet Life January 14, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Meghann…I can’t believe how mean some of these commenters are! I know you’ve been doing this for years and are used to it but good god, talk about being bitter. I think it’s interesting to be open about breastfeeding and how much you are pumping. I had trouble breastfeeding and hated pumping but of course there is nothing wrong with sharing and being open about your own experiences. You do pump a lot but that’s awesome for you guys. I enjoy reading about your experiences because you are a couple months ahead of me with baby.
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Working Out From Home Frustration

50 Melissa January 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Wow, I thought there were some really interesting, thought-provoking comments from several different women discussing their experiences. I feel like it’s brave of them to be vulnerable about their struggles on a public blog – how disappointing that vulnerability is then seen as “mean” or “bitter.”

51 Tina January 15, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Agreed. I’m not bitter about Meagan’s breastfeeding “journey”, but I am irritated by how it seems to be her only point of discussion now even though she’s repeatedly had comments about how it upsets/annoys/bores her readers. I used to enjoy reading her blog, especially as I also have a child her age. But now I’m disapointed with her “sanctimommy” attitude. Becoming a mother should be a humbling experience, not something to compete with and brag about. As someone who writes for a specific audience, I would hope that Meagan would take constructive criticism gracefully and adjust her topics accordingly, or else risk losing readership, which already appears to be happening.

52 Lauren January 15, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I know I generally agree with your first comment, at the same time…as a breastfeeding and working mom I think about breastfeeding/pumping pretty much all the time. If I wrote about my day then it would certainly revolve around this because my life does right now. And I don’t mean that in a negative way but all the pumping, feeding every two hours (or less…even at 7 months old my daughter still eats frequently), bottle washing, etc. takes up a lot of my brain space! It’s not something I talk about with my coworkers all day (or ever haha) but all day I’m planning or planning around the next feed or pump!

53 Tina January 15, 2016 at 11:02 pm

I understand that completely, I’m a nursing mother myself. What I mean is that the tone of these posts are off. Meagan comes off as braggy and “holier-than-thou” when it comes to breastfeeding. There’s a way to write about it without getting smug or making it seem like her choices and actions are better than other moms. Hopefully you understand what I mean.

54 Kristie January 15, 2016 at 10:02 am

Hey, just wanted to let you know there are these amazing cloth nursing pads called bamboobies. They are super soft and the overnight ones work great! I just know I hate that leaking feeling and the nursing pads hold that in :). The pairs I bought while I was nursing my first are still holding up great 1 year into nursing my second (and yes, I still leak 1 year in haha).

55 Cody @ Carolina Hungry Runner January 15, 2016 at 10:28 am

Thank you so much for sharing a sneak peek into your day! I am due the first week of March with my first and have no idea how moms balance their days and continue to pump/breastfeed. I really appreciate this post 🙂

56 Nicole January 18, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I have a 6 week old, but live in Canada where we get to stay home for a whole year of maternity leave if we choose. I am pumping to supplement so I can leave the house once in a while. I as well only can manage about 5oz per session, even when the little guy hasn’t eaten in 5-7 hours. I think that it is really interesting to see what amounts other moms can pump to have an idea and don’t find it offensive or upsetting at all! As a new mom I feel like my whole day revolves around the new baby so seeing what other new moms are doing is interesting and sometimes gives me ideas about what I can do too. If you find it upsetting, don’t read it, but don’t lambaste someone who is writing a blog about their life either. Keep it up Meghann, share whatever you want on your blog, and know there are those of us who love all the details 🙂

57 Emma March 31, 2016 at 10:12 pm

You are amazing. I haven’t gone back to work yet and haven’t decided whether to stop breastfeeding when I do. I’m sure it’s not too hard to pump at work but I suppose I feel strange doing it. You look like you have it all under control. I have twins so I have quite a large milk supply but when I pump after a feed I can usually fill up one of the small Medela bottles. One of my boobs doesn’t seem to like pumping but the other one is fine with it 🙂