The First Two Days

by Meghann on December 22, 2015

We did it! We survived our first two days!

11235058_10107009256715203_3427131323575707674_o

Oh, how I love this baby girl!

Here’s what I learned:

Getting out the door is the hardest part

I cried pretty much the whole drive to work, but as soon as I got to the office it was smooth sailing. I immediately dove back into work and was able to pick up almost exactly where I left off. I was so busy that the day flew by. It was also nice to see my co-workers again. I didn’t realize how much I’d missed talking to them every day. Trust me, I still missed my baby like crazy and checked-in approximately 100 times in an eight hour period, but I knew she was in good hands and I enjoyed my adult time.

There’s going to be some trial and error

I panicked when I received a text from my husband that Annalynn was refusing her bottle. After only drinking 2oz after her first nap, she was flat out refusing anything after her second nap. She’s never had two bottles in a row before and obviously knew something was up. Luckily Derek immediately dove into problem solving mode and, after some trial and error, decided to try swaddling her. The swaddle calmed her down and she took all 4oz like a champ.

Pumping sucks

Okay, so I knew pumping sucked before I went back, but there’s a big difference between pumping once every-other-day and pumping three times a day. I’m sorry to be blunt, but my nipples HATED me the first day. It was better the second day, but I think they were still in shock from it all. And, as much as it sucked, I’ll also admit it was nice to have three breaks automatically built into my day. I used the time to check in on Annalynn and decompress a bit.

On another note, I am already OBSESSED with the Rose Bra by the Dairy Fairy that I ordered via Amazon last week. I had originally purchased the Medela hands free pumping bra (which is essentially a tube top with a zipper up the front and holes for the nipples), but was dreading having to put it on and take it off every time I needed to pump. The Rose Bra is a real bra with great support that you can wear all day and still pump in. I love it so much that I’ve ordered two more. If you pump at work, I cannot recommend this bra enough!

The morning smiles and evening snuggles are the best

I treasured every second with Annalynn before and after work. I was worried she would instantly forget me, but that wasn’t the case. Deep down she knows I’m still her mama, those big smiles say it all.

20151217_174443_resized

Granted, it’s only been two days and it helped knowing it would be a short week. I think our next real challenges will be when I return to work again after the New Year, and then when she starts daycare on January 19th. Gulp.

One day at a time. One day at a time.

1 Kelly December 22, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Check the settings on your pump and make sure you are using the right size. It should not make you sore. Actually, pumping was always recommended to use as a break if your nipples were sore. It should be a lot easier on them than actual nursing.

2 Jameil December 22, 2015 at 9:21 pm

WSS. + With the pump, start at a lower speed also so your boobs can figure out it’s not a baby but still okay. You also want whoever is doing bottles in the future to use paced feeding so she has to work at it like the breast and takes smaller bottles more frequently. The awesome thing about breastmilk is that when you guys are reunited, your bodies communicate and your milk is reformulated to meet her current needs. So you don’t need larger and larger bottles like with formula. Four oz. is the max bottle size for most breastfed babies during a spurt. Congratulations on making it through the first week back! You’re doing a great job!

3 Kelly December 23, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Yes! My bf baby started out with 3 oz max and ended up at 1 year and 23lbs with 4 oz max. So cool!

4 Errign December 22, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Chiming in on the pump! You shouldn’t be sore. You may have the wrong Size flanges or you have suction turned up too high.

5 Jess December 23, 2015 at 12:39 am

Pumping regularly isn’t much fun. But here is something to put it in perspective I was talking to one of my older coworkers who has children in college. She told me when she tried to pump at work her boss made her use the bathroom and tried to get to only pump once a day. She fought to have a better pumping location and regular breaks. I’m grateful to her and many other women who also fought for these rights.

Although I don’t really enjoy something that I do appreciate having a bit of time for myself to sit down and relax since I rarely have them as a working mom!

6 Dannie December 23, 2015 at 11:10 am

“I was worried she would instantly forget me.” It’s funny that you say that, because truthfully that’s exactly what she did! At this stage babies don’t have object permanence – when something is out of their sight, they completely forget that it ever existed. Out of sight, out of mind. So when you think of it that way, this is actually the best time to start leaving a baby – she doesn’t miss you and doesn’t feel seperation anxiety. Of course she’ll recognize you when you come back, but when you’re gone, she’s totally fine and won’t be upset. So that’s a good way of looking at it if you feel anxiety about leaving her. The only one upset by it is you 😉

7 Biz December 23, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I haven’t stopped by in ages, but you may remember me?!

I went to work just six weeks after my daughter Hannah was born. She’s now almost 24 and she’d the most independent person I know because I raised her that way. I was a single Mom from the get go, so I raised her to ask for everything herself because I knew at one point or another I wouldn’t always be with her.

I’ll never remember at age 2 1/2 we were at Whole Foods and she needed to use the bathroom. I told her to go ask the produce guy where the bathroom was. She asked him where it was and the guy looked at me and said “it’s down aisle 3 at the back of the store.” I looked at him and said “did I ask you where it was? No – she did, so tell her!”

She’ll be just fine having a working Momma. 😀
Biz recently posted..Treat Yo Self

8 Dannie December 26, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Just wanted to make sure you saw my previous comment? It seems like it’s still waiting for moderation?

9 Katie D. December 28, 2015 at 8:42 am

I agree, pumping shouldn’t hurt! I had to go up a size in flanges once I started pumping at work. Not only was I not sore, I got more milk in less time (yay!!!).

10 Colleen September 20, 2016 at 4:44 am

Hiya – thanks so much for the post. Just curious – all these months later are you still a fan of the Dairy Fairy Bra? I’m gearing up for kiddo #2 and trying to decide if I want to try the dairy fairy or if I want to go back to my trusty rumina pumping/nursing tank. Is the Rose easy to nurse in? I’m confused how it would work given the top doesn’t snap down.

Thanks!