My Return to Stitch Fix

by Meghann on December 16, 2015

Oh, hello, Stitch Fix. It’s been a while, eh?

IMG_8825

Psst…. Not sure what Stitch Fix is? Check out THIS POST to learn more.

After testing the waters with Stitch Fix maternity this past Spring, I decided to temporarily stop receiving fixes when I entered my third trimester because a) I got to the official “I don’t care what I look like” part of pregnancy and b) the fixes weren’t winning me over anymore. I didn’t immediately jump back into Stitch Fix after giving birth because, well, no one enjoys trying on clothes for at least 2-months post-growing a baby (who am I kidding? Let’s push this to 6-month. Hell, a full year!). However, with my maternity leave coming to an end – and half my wardrobe still no longer fitting – I decided to re-start my fixes and see what they would send.

I edited all my sizes (I’ve found the best way to be truthful with sizing is to make the changes with a large glass of wine in your hands. trust me, it works.) and put in a request for something appropriate to wear to an upcoming Christmas party, as well as options for when I return to work.

Here’s what I got:

41Hawthorn Sugar Dot Print Dress

41Hawthorn Sugar Dot Print Dress

Meh. There was nothing special about this dress to me. The material felt a little cheap and the cut wasn’t very flattering. The high neck and awkward zipper in the back also meant it wasn’t breastfeeding friendly, which is crucial when I’m deciding what to wear nowadays. Even with returning to work, I need pieces that I can easily pump in.

Verdict: Return

41Hawthorn Moni Geo Print & Camisole Blouse

41Hawthorn Moni Geo Print & Camisole Blouse

I loved this top as soon as I pulled it out and loved it even more when I put it on. It’s the perfect cut for a breastfeeding mom who is still working on losing her baby weight. The cut at the top brings the attention to my shoulder bones (currently my favorite feature) and the loose, flowy bottom doesn’t cling and covers up the areas I’m still working on. It’s also light and easy to lift for the oh-so-popular double shirt breastfeeding technique. I can wear a nursing tank underneath it and just lift the top layer up to feed my hungry child without anyone being the wiser of what’s happening. I received the top a week ago and have already worn it 4 times to 4 different events. It’s my new favorite top!

Verdict: Keep!

Skies are Blue Kady Dress

Skies are Blue Kady Dress

This dress was wrong on so many levels. The cut wasn’t great, the dress was too big, and it’s just not my style. It reminds me of something I would have worn as a teenager in the 90s – all that was missing was a black choker necklace with a large silver cross attached.

Verdict: Return

Market & Spruce Corinna Striped Dolman Top

Market & Spruce Corinna Striped Dolman Top

I was really torn on this top. It was a little big, but I think I actually preferred it that way. It was super comfortable, super casual, and could easily work for breastfeeding due to how easy it is to lift up. However, I have a closet full of Dolman style tops that I never wear because I live in Florida and it’s usually too hot to wear that style. I also think the horizontal stripes were not the most flattering on me.

Verdict: Return

Street Level Juno Small Folded Clutch

IMG_8823

Cute bag, but not something I really need right now. My “purse” is currently my diaper bag and when I don’t have a diaper bag, I’m all about larger purses so I can fit ALL THE THINGS.

Verdict: Return

So this fix wasn’t a total winner, but it was still 100% worth it for the one magical top that I’m currently wearing everywhere. Heck, if every fix just contained one top that I could fall head-over-heels in love with, then I’d be a happy girl. I already put in a request for another one and can’t wait for it to arrive.

Click here to try Stitch Fix for yourself!

1 Kelli @ Hungry Hobby December 16, 2015 at 9:59 am

I wasn’t thrilled with my last stitchfix either, but totally worth it for the fact that I NEVER feel the need to stop and look at cloths. Oh and you look freaking amazing!
Kelli @ Hungry Hobby recently posted..Foam Roller Tips (+Dorky Video)

2 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona December 16, 2015 at 10:27 am

I love the color of that clutch! The top that you decided to keep is super cute – I love the pattern.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..AFLCA Exercise Theory Course

3 Kathy December 16, 2015 at 10:53 am

I can’t remember…are you breastfeeding? /s

4 Mallory December 16, 2015 at 11:08 am

Unfortunately I don’t think the top you chose is all that flattering on you. The first dress, however, is one of the most flattering things I’ve seen you wear! Too bad it wasn’t BF-friendly.

5 Holly December 16, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Yeah all of this–the first dress was a great fit/cut on you! But I get the breast feeding concerns.

And I think the top you did pick falls into the category of so big that it makes you look bigger than you are? I can totally understand wanting to wear loose fitting things PP, but too loose can look a little sack-like, IMO.

6 mallory December 17, 2015 at 1:07 pm

exactly– it looks too big

7 Michelle December 16, 2015 at 11:27 am

First dress was so cute! And maybe not breastfeeding friendly but if you’re going three hours-ish in between feeds you could totally wear it. Just feed her in the bedroom or something. That’s what I do with my pre-maternity stuff. I make it work because it’s too cute not to! 😉

8 Sheena December 16, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I got that Dolman top in my latest fix and thankfully it fit me well enough / fall and winter in Northern CA are just mild/cold enough to warrant!/it’s always windy in San Francisco!

9 The Many Thoughts of a Reader December 16, 2015 at 3:07 pm

The first dress is super cute on you!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..A few random things..

10 Megan December 16, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I’ve found great nursing attire at Latched Mama (http://latchedmama.com)! Everything I’ve bought is great quality and affordable.

11 Resh December 16, 2015 at 4:10 pm

I actually loved the red dress on you! I just had a baby (a week after you!) and picked up these tops from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/3-Pack-Lightweight-Pullover-Cardigans-Charcoal/dp/B00O5I1WJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1450300109&sr=1-1&nodeID=1040660&keywords=nursing+tops.

I wear a nursing tank under. They are amazing! With a pair of work pants, they would totally work too (I stick with leggings but I work from home!).

12 Ashley December 16, 2015 at 6:20 pm

I have to disagree with you on that Sugar Dot dress. It looks amazing on you. Perhaps its the angle we are seeing in the picture? I loved Stitch Fix when I tried it. Maybe I’ll give it another go.

13 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner December 16, 2015 at 8:21 pm

That first dress looks awesome on you! I guess you love what you love though, right? Glad you found something you liked in your last Stitch Fix.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

14 Natalie December 17, 2015 at 7:13 am

I think out of all of those things, the top dress with the polka dots looked the best and was the most flattering. I think you should have kept it! You aren’t going to be nursing / pumping forever, and when you lose weight, you could always have the dress tailored a bit.

15 Laurel December 17, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I actually think the first dress is really flattering. You look curvy in the best way!

16 Stacey December 17, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Your description of the Kady dress cracked me up! You are looking fantastic, mama!
Stacey recently posted..The ebb and flow of training

17 Katie December 17, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Cute fix! I think the top you kept looks nice on you! I am currently waiting for my second fix to come at the end of the month; I am only doing it quarterly so it’s been awhile! I agree though – I consider it a success if I only keep one or two items. Even a normal shopping trip I take more into the fitting room than I actually keep!
Katie recently posted..Girl Scouts: Ornament Making

18 Reenie December 20, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Love the polka dot dress on you….very flattering. The others….. I would have returned.

19 Ellie December 21, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Wait, how could you have been a teenager in the 90s?

20 Meghann December 22, 2015 at 3:29 pm

I turned 13 in 98 so I was a teenager for two years in the 90s. 😉

21 Mrs. Swan December 22, 2015 at 7:34 pm

I agree! The polka dot one looks awesome on you!!! The 2nd shirt is a very Mom shirt but you are a mom so that is cool. :LOL Mature looking. I just hit the 3rd tri on a late life pregnancy so I feel you completely.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..My poor neglected blog.