Annalynn: Two Months

by Meghann on December 1, 2015

Happy Two Months, Annalynn!

2 months

Oh, how you’ve grown in the last month! Somehow you went from a teeny, tiny newborn to a chunky, smiling baby in the blink of an eye. Your official two month appointment isn’t until later this week, but I’m guessing you’re over 11 pounds now. You’re also very comfortable in all of your 3 month clothing and recently moved up to size 2 diapers.

IMG_8505

Milestones

Month 2 has been a big month in the milestone department! You’ve become a pro at following people/objects by turning your head and all the tummy time is starting to pay off. You surprised Mommy last week when you went from barely lifting your head off the ground to lifting yourself to a full cobra position in a matter of seconds.

IMG_8511

I was Facetiming with your Pop at the time, and he got a good chuckle when I started going crazy trying to remember how to take a screenshot on the iPad to capture the moment. Luckily you’ve been able to lift up a few more times so that mom could get plenty of photos.

IMG_8400

You even managed to to flip from your tummy to your back a few times. You’re getting stronger, girl!

I think one of my favorite milestones this month has been all of those beautiful smiles you’re finally starting to share.

IMG_8483

Mommy and Daddy’s new favorite activity is making funny faces to try and get you to smile. It works for the most part, otherwise you just give us a questioning side eye wondering what the heck we’re doing.

IMG_8476

You’re also starting to grab and hold onto things, mainly things that are attached to mom. You love grabbing my hair, my clothes, my nipples, etc. Basically anything you can get a hold of. We’re still working on grabbing a hold of toys, but you did show off some grabbing skills with your 2 Month sticker today.

grabbing sticker

Sleep

I think you finally “woke up” around the 6 week mark. You basically went from a super-sleepy newborn who could barely keep her eyes open during the day, to a wide-eyed baby who expected to be entertained at all times. You also stopped naturally napping on your own, which made mommy go a little crazy trying to figure out what was happening.

Per the recommendation of an awesome friend, I devoured “Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child” in a couple of days and immediately started implementing some of the book’s teachings into our daily routine. It took a few days of practice (at first you wouldn’t sleep for longer than 15 minutes in your crib), but you eventually grew more comfortable in your room and we were able to successfully transition you to napping in your crib at 7 weeks. We’re getting better at watching your cues so we know when you’re tired/ready to nap (big yawn, slower arm movements, etc.) and we’re following the rule of only one to two wakeful hours between naps. We’ve even nailed down a bit of a nap time routine that includes swaddling, the white noise machine, and the glider. We’re currently practicing putting you in the crib right before you fall asleep, which isn’t hard since you usually wake up when we put you in the crib anyway. For the most part you’ll look around the room for a few minutes before closing your eyes and falling asleep.

12304352_10106922398325113_6208423601078951964_o

You’re still sleeping in the Pack ‘n’ Play next to my side of the bed at night and average 1-2 wake ups per night with your longest stretch of sleep at 6 hours.

Fun

We started a Water Babies class this month and I have to say it’s my favorite mommy & baby activity we’ve done thus far. You love the water and especially love floating on your back.

12240907_10106903176840123_6591418137717523867_o

The class involves a lot of splashing, kicking, and singing. It’s quite the baby workout!

Breastfeeding

I’m happy to report that we’re still going strong with breastfeeding! Despite the super rocky start, nursing has become the highlight of my day. I love the special bond we share and I couldn’t be prouder of those delicious rolls that momma’s milk helped create.

You love to nurse and you love the comfort of being close to mom. You can also take a bottle from dad like a champ. He’s been giving you one once a week just to make sure you stay used to the bottle. I go back to work in a few weeks (wahhhhhhhh) and my boobs are unfortunately going with me. Sorry kid – I’m sad, too.

Everyday you grow and change, and it’s so much fun to see your little personality shine through. I can’t wait to see what the next month brings.

xoxo, Mom

Other updates:

1 Jill December 1, 2015 at 8:32 am

I’m sure you are super sick of advice but in my experience, the cure for the witching hour(s) is in bed by 6:45 so they are asleep by 7. She’s a beauty!

2 Meghann December 1, 2015 at 8:45 am

Trust me, we’re working on the earlier bed time! I’ve been slowly moving it forward to get it closer to 7. Her bedtime went from 9pm to 8pm so we’re getting there! 🙂

3 Jill December 2, 2015 at 9:10 am

You are doing great.

4 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed December 1, 2015 at 8:32 am

She’s such a cutie! Glad things are going so well for you 😀
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Hey Hey! What’s Happening?

5 Melissa December 1, 2015 at 9:37 am

I’m glad you stopped the incessant “baby girl” but seriously, why do you have to talk about your boobs/nipples/mommy’s milk so much? Your poor kid is going to be MORTIFIED when she’s older and her friends find this. Ugh

6 Meghann December 1, 2015 at 9:51 am

I plan to teach Annalynn that breastfeeding is a beautiful, natural way to feed a baby and of the special bond we shared when she was nursing. The fact that she was breastfed is not something to be ashamed of.

7 Kc December 1, 2015 at 10:30 am

Boobs/nipples/mommy’s milk are a major and beautiful part of baby life! Nothing to be ashamed of- what a rude comment from fellow reader. Props to you Meghann for a nice response. Annalynn is adorable and I love reading your updates!

8 Kathy December 1, 2015 at 10:59 am

I agree…she isn’t implying that breastfeeding is something to be ashamed about (because it’s not!) but “mommy’s milk”…come on now.

9 Reenie December 1, 2015 at 11:10 am

Good Grief Melissa…. last time I looked this was MEGHANN’S BLOG…. not yours. Geez!!

10 Debbra December 1, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Amen to that!

11 Ashley December 1, 2015 at 9:49 am

I love this post! Motherhood becomes you!

12 Melissa December 1, 2015 at 10:47 am

I agree that’s it’s beautiful/natural/etc. but kids can be cruel especially once they hit puberty and boobs become more than just food. I’m just saying you might want to think about how that might embarrass her later in life. Anyways, I think you’re a great mom and I’ll stop commenting!

13 Reenie December 1, 2015 at 11:12 am

Do you really think that when AnnaLynn gets older that her friends are going to come read her Mom’s Blog?

14 Lindsey Lou December 2, 2015 at 3:43 pm

The Internet never forgets Reenie. Kids are cruel and the name Annalynn is very unique so I am guessing it wouldn’t be hard to find for kids some day. Breastfeeding is beautiful and should be celebrated but terms like “mommy’s milk” aren’t helping the cause in normalizing it. It’s breast milk.

15 AJ December 2, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I wouldn’t risk it…

Also I just want to put it out there that formula feeding is just as good/healthy as breastfeeding. Posts like this make me feel like shit because I can’t breastfeed my baby. But she is doing awesome and so am I. I wish people would be kinder when it comes to sharing their experience. My daughter will often pull off the bottle to smile at me too and it’s no less special than if she did it while breastfeeding. We have an unbelievably close bond and it’s unfair to claim that breastfeeding makes you even closer to your baby. I hope Meghann keeps that in mind in future posts.

16 Rebekah Smith December 1, 2015 at 12:45 pm

She looks JUST LIKE MOMMA!!!!

17 Haley December 1, 2015 at 12:50 pm

She’s a doll Meghann. Love seeing all your progress. And if you’re daughter’s embarrassed by your comments on breastfeeding, my kid’s are definitely going to need therapy for my blog’s tmi trend on the subject.
Haley recently posted..Thanksgiving Weekend Recap

18 Ericka @ The Sweet Life December 1, 2015 at 12:59 pm

OH man, I hope breastfeeding becomes the highlight of my day soon. It is exactly the opposite currently. My baby is 2 weeks old and I enjoy following you and others who are a bit ahead of me so I know what’s coming! How did you come to enjoy breastfeeding? just curious. I liked your post on what you were/weren’t “supposed” to do. It’s harder than I ever imagined.
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..The Post-Baby Belly I Didn’t Expect

19 Meghann December 1, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Trust me, the first two weeks are the hardest! Everyone used to tell me to just wait it out and everything would eventually click. I HATED to hear it at the time, but it’s true. It doesn’t happen overnight, but one day your baby will pull off and look at you and smile and you’ll realize how awesome it is. Unfortunately there’s no secret formula, just patience and time

20 Katy December 1, 2015 at 2:50 pm

You go, Mama! I talk about boobs all the time because we are hitting our 2 year mark in 2 weeks. My boobs and nipples have kept a kid alive and he is certainly going to know about that when he is a teenager. Hopefully he won’t be too mortified. 😉

21 Lisa Valinsky December 1, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Nap time is so hard! I’m finding our baby doesn’t sleep during the day unless she’s held, in the car, or on a walk in her stroller or carrier. It’s really tough! I just put her in her crib for a nap, and she’s quietly hanging out. No sleeping or anything, but just looking at her hands and her mobile. Hmm…

Would love to hear more about the sleep techniques that have worked for you!

22 Meghann December 1, 2015 at 5:16 pm

That’s exactly what Annalynn was doing! I think the big secret was getting a naptime routine going. We turn the lights off, swaddle her, put on the white noise machine, and rock her until her eyes start to close then we put her in bed. The first couple of days i was in tears because it would take her an hr or more to sleep in the crib and then she would only sleep 30 mins. But we stuck with it and she’s finally starting to get it. Good luck!

23 jill December 1, 2015 at 4:50 pm

what ring sling are you using?

24 Nicole December 1, 2015 at 7:03 pm

You’re inspiring me to put Siena down for naps in her bassinet more… Usually she sleeps in the swing or car seat but I know it’s better not to! I’m glad you said it got easier after a while too! I got her down yesterday using the same nighttime routine so I’ll try that again!

And she’s awesome at tummy time!!! Rolling over is huge!
Nicole recently posted..Body After Baby

25 Laurie December 1, 2015 at 7:43 pm

She’s beautiful!!

26 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life December 1, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Look at that strong neck! I can’t get over how big she looks already! Sounds like you are doing a great job at being a new mama (even if in the moment we don’t always feel like it!)
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..A Traveling Thanksgiving

27 Jo December 1, 2015 at 9:44 pm

If you don’t mind sharing, what kind of baby monitor do you use? Looks like it’s a wifi based monitor, no? I’ve been searching for one for a while but have not found one that has good reviews when used for a baby instead of just surveillance. Thanks!

28 Katie @ Live Half Full December 1, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I’m glad my baby isn’t the only one who does not like 6-8pm!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..December Goals and Holiday Bucket List

29 Linda @ The Fitty December 1, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I think it’d be great if you start a project where you take a photo of Annabelle each week to see her grow and compile them in a photobook!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..#CollegeKidProblems

30 Jax December 2, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Meghann she’s so beautiful! My daughter is now 10 & son 6. I remember those days. 🙂 So happy for you!

31 Stacey December 3, 2015 at 8:37 am

What a sweet baby! She is an absolute doll 🙂
Stacey recently posted..Running etiquette (or… don’t piss on me)

32 Julie December 4, 2015 at 10:54 pm

My son is three months and naps in his crib last 20 minutes. How long did it take your baby to get used to it? Any tips? He only wants swing or rock and play!

33 Meghann December 7, 2015 at 2:31 pm

It took a couple of days of us staying pretty consistent with putting her in there. We made sure to stick with the pre-nap routine each time. At first she would only nap for about 20 minutes, but now we get some 2 hour stretches out of her. Of course now she won’t nap anywhere else – not even the swing! So it makes it difficult to nap with her on the go, like she used to. You win some, you lose some.

34 Genna December 9, 2015 at 12:37 pm

She is beautiful and I think she looks just like yo!!

35 Michelle December 14, 2015 at 7:59 am

Saw your recent Instagram with Annalynnnn sitting in a bumbo and wanted to pass this on: http://mamaot.com/beware-the-baby-bumbo-seat/

Just FYI.