Still living for the weekend

by Meghann on November 16, 2015

As much as I love my temporary title of “stay at home mom” and all the one-on-one bonding time I have with Annalynn during the week (which I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world), I still find myself living for the weekends. Especially when the weekend means getting to spend time with friends, family, and my husband.

On Friday night we attended a small get together with friends. It was the first time we’ve all hung out since Annalynn was born and Annalynn wasn’t even the youngest in attendance! Another friend had given birth three weeks after me. There’s now three little munchkins among our group and  I can’t wait to watch them all grow up together.

20151113_192516

We had a big day on Saturday as we braved our first road trip and overnight stay with a 6 week old. Annalynn handled it like a champ, mainly sleeping through the car trip and the majority of our visit.

Our first stop was breakfast with Derek’s grandparents in Lakeland. Nana and Dada first met Annalynn when she was a week old, but she’s changed and grown so much since then. They loved spending time with their great-granddaughter and were even able to get a few smiles from her.

12247890_10106888077045233_7245747789471467826_o

We left Lakeland just before noon and headed to Titusville to celebrate my little brother’s 26th birthday (I can’t believe he’s 26!). It was the rare occasion of having all my siblings together on a Saturday. Have I mentioned how much I love having my twin brother back in Florida?

IMG_8028

Derek and I took advantage of my willing parents and had a rare baby-free outing with my siblings. It was our first time leaving Annalynn with anyone. I think we did surprisingly well, I only called to check on her once.

Since I didn’t have my pump or any bottles, we had to time it perfectly between Annalynn’s feedings. I waited for her to wake up from her nap, nursed her, and practically ran out of the house. We had a rough 2 hour window before the next feeding, which was just enough time to enjoy a beer at Playalinda Brewery in downtown Titusville.

20151114_165126(0)

The new brewery was celebrating their first anniversary with a special Funfetti Cake Batter Blonde Ale complete with whipped cream and sprinkles.

12241089_10106889140678703_5551249991151063184_o

The beer was a little sweet, but the flavor was spot on. Who knew whipped cream would pair so well with a beer?

Despite being in a new location, Annalynn pretty much stuck to her usual schedule. She was wide awake/a little fussy from 5 – 8 and just did a little cluster feeding.

Of course I made the mistake of letting her become overtired (bad mommy!), which led to a longer than usual bedtime routine. Thankfully it was nothing a newly downloaded white noise app and some extra rocking couldn’t handle.

12248216_10106889689239383_8323357667158626988_o

(photo from an earlier catnap she took at my parents’ house and was too cute not to share)

Annalynn slept in a Pack ‘n Play next to our bed just as she does at home. We had one more wake-up than usual, but otherwise the night went pretty smoothly.

In fact, the next morning I pretty much jumped out of bed at 7:00am. My sister was meeting me for my first postpartum run and I couldn’t wait to start the day.

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 3.04.55 PM

My doctor had given the okay to start exercising again on Wednesday (woo hoo!). We kept our pace slow for 3.65 miles and took a lot of walking breaks. It was the first time my sister and I have run together since July and we spent the whole time talking. I really missed the social aspect of running and am looking forward to meeting up with running buddies again.

I still have a lot of work ahead of me to regain my fitness (the fact that my legs are sore today is proof of that), but boy did it feel good to be back out there. I’m in no hurry to register for any “A” races, but I do see a Turkey Trot in my future. I’m also looking forward to future runs with Annalynn in the Bob.  I just need the weather to get a little cooler and stay that way.

As far as weekends go, I’d say that was a pretty good one. Now we’re pumped for the start of another week. We’ve got big plans – story time at the library, lunch with a friend, and a water babies class. Woo hoo. 🙂

1 Sheena @ Paws and Pavement November 16, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Such adorable pictures of your little girl! Yay for getting back to running too!
Sheena @ Paws and Pavement recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap (11/16)

2 Katie @ Live Half Full November 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I did the same thing with the over-tiredness on Saturday night. Mistake noted!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend

3 Emily November 16, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Same here!

4 Kelly November 16, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Sounds like a nice weekend with friends and family! We took our first overnight road trip with my daughter around that age… They are so portable in the early months! 🙂
Congrats on getting back into running! Turkey Trots are always fun.
Kelly recently posted..Weekend [Nov 14-15, 2015]

5 Lauren November 16, 2015 at 8:40 pm

New mom question here – when you say you let your daughter get overtired, what does that mean? What did you do that let her get overtired and what do you do to keep it from happening? Thanks!!

6 Bron November 16, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Normally that means just missing the baby’s tired signs and keeping the baby up a bit longer than normal – it can only take 10-15mins extra and they can get overtired and harder to settle! Keeping an eye out for your baby’s tired signs (they can be different for each baby) is one way to try and avoid it but it happens to everyone at one time or another! took me forever (it felt like!) to work out my daughter’s tired signs in the early days 🙂

7 Katie November 16, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Yay!!! Sounds like a fabulous weekend, keep up the good work!
Katie recently posted..Chance Chat #46: Work Hard

8 Jess November 16, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Sounds like an awesome weekend! Nice to be back out and moving I bet too! 🙂

9 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 17, 2015 at 7:36 am

Yay for your first run 🙂
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Hey Hey! What’s Happening?

10 LindsayH November 17, 2015 at 10:03 am

Don’t forget that Annalynn needs to be 8 months old before it’s safe to jog with her in the BOB. http://www.bobgear.com/support/warranty-return-policy

11 Ali November 18, 2015 at 10:42 am

We bought the car seat adapter for our Bob stroller and our pediatrician gave us the okay to run with our little guy much earlier than 8 months.

12 Reenie November 17, 2015 at 10:47 am

That pic with Annalynn and Maddie ~ too cute!! I guess Maddie has adjusted to her new sister?

13 Lindsey B. November 18, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I was coming to say the same thing LindsayH said. BOB. recommends not jogging until baby is eight months – http://fitnesscenter.bobgear.com/fitnesscenter/running-moms-guide-jogging-stroller/.

Not trying to be judgey or preachy, just passing along advice I know I would have wanted to hear! Walks are great in the BOB at this age, though! My little dude is eight months as of a week ago and we are just starting to jog for a minute or two here and there. Of course, it’s now to dark to go out after we get home from work and daycare. 🙁

14 kate November 18, 2015 at 2:12 pm

So, I never comment (sorry!) but have been reading your blog for years. I had to comment to say i can’t believe Derek’s grandpa is called Dada! We also call our Dada, well, Dada and I don’t know a single other person that uses the name! So funny!