Day in the life: 11/11/15

by Meghann on November 12, 2015

I thought it would be fun to do a “day in the life” post of what life is like with an almost 6 week old (Annalynn was one day away from being 6 weeks).

2:30am: The baby is stirring. Check my phone and let out a silent cheer that it’s past 2:00am. Woo hoo! Baby girl slept a little more than 5 1/2 hrs!

2:45am: Baby girl is done eating and has fallen asleep on the boob, attempt my 3-stage maneuver of making sure she ends up back in the Pack ‘n Play without waking up.

• Step 1: Move my hand gently under her head and start to rock her close.
  • Step 2: Pick her up with two-hands (one under the butt, the other under the head) and hold her out while still gently rocking
  • Step 3: Slloooowwwwly lay her down. If she starts to stir, give her a minute before repeating. (This time she opened her eyes for a few seconds before falling back to sleep)

6:20am: Baby girl is up again. A 3 hour stretch! We’ll take it! She nurses and I cross my fingers she’ll go back to sleep. Generally if she gets up after 6:00am it’s a 50/50 shot of if she’s ready to be up, or she’s good with sleeping. Surprisingly, she goes back to sleep. I pass back out.

8:00am: Derek gently wakes me to tell me he’s leaving for work. Annalynn is still sleeping in the Pack ‘n Play by the bed. I roll over and attempt to get more sleep.

8:10am: I’m up. I figure it’s only a matter of time before Annalynn is up so I hurry to the kitchen to make coffee and breakfast.

8:20am: Annalynn is still sleeping, so I decide to treat myself by dining at a real table in the dining room. Breakfast was a quick 2 eggs, a pumpkin muffin, and cantaloupe.

20151111_081132

8:40am: Baby girl is still sleeping. This is weird. I feed Maddie, get dressed, and respond to some emails.

9:10am: I hate to wake a sleeping baby, but I have a doctor’s appointment in an hour and half and it’s approximately a 3 hour process to get out the door. I wake the sleeping baby and change her, feed her, and burp her.

10:10am: We head out the door.

10:40am: Arrive at the doctor’s office and baby girl is wide awake. I attempt to entertain her in the waiting room.

11:05am: We’re finally called back. They take my weight and blood pressure and then let me know we’ll have to go back to the waiting room to wait for a room to open up.

11:15am: Annalynn had a diaper explosion. I change her diaper and change her outfit, then nurse her in the waiting room.

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 4.10.31 PM

11:25am: We’re called back mid-feeding for the rest of the appointment. We see my doctor and get the all clear to start exercising again (woo hoo).

11:40am: I finish nursing Annalynn in the room before heading out.

12:00pm: I stop at Starbucks for an iced coffee and snack on the BelVita bar I packed.

20151111_122855

12:15pm: Next stop is Babies R Us to see if they had a swim diaper we need for our water babies class that starts tomorrow (they don’t).

12:40pm: Finally, we head to Bed, Bath, & Beyond to restock our K-cup stash.

1:20pm: Home! I let Maddie out and then change Annalynn’s diaper.

1:40pm: I grab a water and the boppy to nurse Annalynn in the office. That way I have both hands free to do some work while she eats.

20151111_142638

2:20pm: Put Annalynn down for a nap. Reheat leftovers for lunch.

20151111_143112

2:30pm: While baby sleeps, attempt to do all things: dishes/laundry/start this post/play with Maddie/etc

20151111_162709

4:30pm: Annalynn is up! I change her/ feed her.

5:00pm: We head out for a walk around the block and I test out my new ring sling. We’re still getting the hang of it, but I’m attending a babywear learn & play on Friday to help figure it out.

20151111_165424

5:30pm: Playtime! We do some tummy time and kick around on the play mat.

20151110_104101

(photo actually from the day before, but you get the idea 😉 )

6:15pm: Daddy’s home! I hand off Annalynn and start cooking dinner.

6:45pm: I nurse Annalynn while dinner is roasting in the oven.

7:15pm: Derek and I eat dinner watching a 30 for 30 special on Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson. Tonight’s meal consists of roasted vegetables, black beans, and avocado.

20151111_185042

7:45pm: Annalynn falls asleep on Derek’s chest (I took the photo before I heard her start snoring). She’s been surprisingly calm this evening.

20151111_192112

8:30pm: Annalynn is up and ready to eat. I nurse her and she falls asleep on my nap.

9:15pm: I hand Annalynn off to Derek to get her ready for bed while I brush my teeth and get ready for bed myself.

9:30pm: Derek hands Annalynn to me in bed and I nurse her one last time before putting her in her Pack ‘n Play for the night.

9:45pm: I pass the heck out and cross my fingers we’ll have another good night of sleep.

Good night!

1 [email protected] November 12, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Oh my gosh, it used to freak me out the first few times my kids slept later than I was used to! LOL about taking 3 hours to get out of the house… it’s like, wake her up, change diaper, nurse, poo while nursing, change diaper again, put on adorable little outfit, spit up all over me and the adorable little outfit, change her clothes, change my clothes…. you get the idea! And doctors always have a knack for calling you back right as your in the middle of nursing (though, most things seem to happen in the middle of nursing at that stage). You’re doing so great!

I love reading these posts–they take me right back to when my daughter was teeny tiny! (She’s 4 now and recently started saying, “WHAT the HECK, mom?” I’m still working on a proper response to that one!)
[email protected] recently posted..Weigh In (11/7)

2 lisa valinsky November 12, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Love this! And way to go, mama!

Do you try to do things like play time around the same time each day? Or does it depend on when baby’s alert?

Also when you go shopping do you just bring her in the car seat? Or use her stroller?

Just getting ideas! Thanks!
lisa valinsky recently posted..our sweet baby girl

3 Meghann November 12, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Our schedule is different everyday so playtime just happens when we have free time. I usually use the stroller when going to the store or I wear her if I know it’s going to be a long shopping trip. 🙂

4 april November 12, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Meghann,

Not sure if you or the hubs are going in the water for the class but be SO CAREFUL about submerging that scar! It’s still really tender even if it’s closed and the last thing you want is to share germs with someone and have it re open!

5 Meghann November 12, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I asked my doctor about it and she gave the all clear for the swim class. The class is really gentle and just requires i stand there and play with the baby.

6 Nicole November 12, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Sounds like you’ve Got it down! We also get a 5-5.5 hour stretch now which is amazing (she’ll be 6 weeks Saturday). Usually the second stretch can be spotty and anywhere from 2-4 hours but when it’s 4 it’s seriously amazing!

I’m jealous of how quickly she eats! My girl is a slow eater so I can’t go anywhere and easily nurse her since it takes so long!
Nicole recently posted..Siena’s Newborn Photos

7 Meghann November 12, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I was concerned with how quickly she eats but the LC said I have a fast let down and she’s an efficient eater. I guess 5 minute sessions are perfectly normal. She was 10 lbs at the BF group I attended on Tuesday!

8 Ashley Jordan November 12, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Oh man, I love babies but I do NOT miss the no-sleep newborn days!
Just FYI, you can buy a re-usable k-cup for like $10 from Target then buy regular coffee to put into the reusable cup. WAY cheaper than buying k-cups individually. Just a tip to save some cash : )

9 Kelly November 12, 2015 at 10:55 pm

I love Day-in-the-Life posts. They are so interesting to look back on later. Sounds like you are doing great and have really gotten in the swing of life as a new mom! It also sounds like Annalynn is sleeping really well, That is wonderful. You must be so excited to start exercising again! And baby swim class sounds like fun!
Kelly recently posted..Thoughts on being pregnant – 35 weeks

10 melissa November 13, 2015 at 9:22 am

Oh my goodness. Congrats on your newborn. It has been a while since I have visited your blog. 5 and a half hours at 6 weeks is amazing….good work mama. It took my daughter 10 and a half moths to sleep through the night…oohhff. Getting out of the house every day always lifted my spirits during the newborn phase.

11 Jennifer November 13, 2015 at 9:24 am

You and Derek sound like you are doing a great job as a team!

12 Sara November 13, 2015 at 9:44 am

Hi! My baby boy was born the same day as your baby girl! Any tips on trying to find baby and me classes where I live? Websites or any other idea’s? I’ve been having a hard time trying to find one and the baby wearing class sounds fun!

13 Meghann November 14, 2015 at 6:42 am

I attended a new mom’s group at my hospital and learned a lot about different groups and classes there. once you attend one it seems to open up to all the others. Good luck!

14 Alex M November 13, 2015 at 9:53 am

I love all your baby posts! I’m due with my first in April and it’s re-assuring to see that there nights that you’re able to get decent sleep and get out of the house during the day.

15 Linda @ The Fitty November 13, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Falling asleep on the boob…haha!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..KZ Clean Eating Review

16 Michelle Brandon November 13, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Looks like you’re nailing this parenting thing (Derek too) and Maddie looks like she’s adjusted well to having a new family member!

17 Jess November 14, 2015 at 8:08 am

She is very cute! Enjoy your water class! I always love getting in the water with my bubs!
Jess recently posted..Happy 5th Birthday to my beautiful girls!

18 Anna November 14, 2015 at 10:44 am

I think you’re doing awesome! It took me 2 months to feel comfortable going out by myself with the baby. Btw, baby looks so comfy in the ring sling. Can I ask where you got it? I’m contemplating getting one for my little one.

19 Meghann November 15, 2015 at 5:52 pm

It’s from the Bibettes shop on Etsy. She was recommended by a local baby wearing group