5 things I did wrong with breastfeeding… and 5 things I did right

by Meghann on October 23, 2015

I knew breastfeeding was going to be hard, but I’m not sure it really hit me just how hard it was until I was in it. We’re only 3 weeks in and, from what I’ve been told, the first 3 weeks are the hardest. I’m crossing my fingers that it can only get better from here (knock on wood).

In honor of passing the 3 week barrier (woo hoo!) here are the 5 things I thought I did “wrong” with breastfeeding, followed by the 5 things I did right.

2015-10-23 09.19.23

What I thought I did “wrong”

1. I pumped for the first time the day my milk came in

My milk came in the day after we returned from the hospital. My sister warned me that I would know my milk had come in when my boobs scared me. Well, my boobs officially scared me. They had grown two sizes overnight, were rock hard, and looked like a really bad overdone boob job. They were also leaking at an alarming rate. At one point I was standing in the kitchen in my nightgown and they began leaking so bad that a puddle of breast milk was forming at my feet. It was bad, really bad.

Apparently my boobs were so scary that even Annalynn was afraid of them. She suddenly stopped latching and every time I tried to offer her a boob, she would break out in hysterics. She was inconsolable and there was nothing I could do to help her. She was crying, I was crying, and poor Derek didn’t know what he could do to help.

Not sure what else to do, we made our first emergency run to Babies R Us to cash in our credit for a breast pump that our insurance company had provided. I needed relief and the breast pump seemed the logical solution.

1. I gave Annalynn her first bottle at 3 days old

That’s right. I caved and gave my baby – who was refusing the breast – her first bottle of pumped breast milk at 3 days old. Surely this would lead to nipple confusion and she would never go back to the breast again, at least that’s what this hormonal, first time mom was convinced of. It was also my first experience of mom guilt. I felt like I had my first dirty secret that I was ashamed to share with anyone.

1. I used a nipple shield

My cousin had given me a nipple shield at my baby shower, telling me the shield was the secret to her awesome breastfeeding relationship with her infant son. Willing to try anything, I gave it a shot to see if it would help. She latched almost immediately with the nipple shield and continued to devour both breasts. It was amazing and I thought it was our end-all solution (it wasn’t, but it did help). It wasn’t until later that I learned nipple shields were somewhat frowned upon.

1. I gave Annalynn a pacifier

20151003_201746

Everything I read told me not to give Annalynn a pacifier so early, but we were desperate. Baby girl continued to work herself into hysterics and the pacifier seemed to be the only thing to soothe her. She took right to it and would suck herself to sleep.

1. I Googled for answers

When will we ever learn? Google is the worst source of information for new moms (or really anyone looking for real help). Everything I read scared the crap out of me and I was convinced I was doing everything wrong. This lead to mom guilt and extra stress for my overly hormonal post-partum state.

And 5 things I know I did right

1. I pumped for the first time the day my milk came in

Looking back, I know without a doubt that pumping was the best decision I could have made for my baby and me. I’ve since learned that newborns really are scared of rock hard breasts and can easily turn them down. My engorgement was out of control, they were causing me pain, and my baby girl was turning them down. I needed to fix the situation and pumping was the best solution we had. There was such a sense of relief that came after my first pumping session that I was crying happy tears. I would go back and do it again in a heartbeat.

1. I gave Annalynn her first bottle at 3 days old

I started freaking out when Annalynn refused to eat. Not so much for fear of losing our breastfeeding relationship so early (though that was in the back of my mind), but because I knew how crucial it was that she eat. When she stopped eating, and stopped producing wet/dirty diapers, my mom instincts kicked in and I gave her her first bottle of pumped milk. Sure, there was the possibility of nipple confusion, but I knew in my heart that making sure Annalynn ate was my number one priority no matter how that happened.

Whenever Annalynn was hungry I continued to offer her my breast – sometimes she would take it, sometimes she would not. Whenever she did latch I felt victorious, like we had overcome whatever our dilemma was. Then the next feeding she would refuse and I felt like we were back at square one. However, she never starved. When ever she refused, I would pump and give her a bottle.

We had a lot of trial and error, but eventually the pumping/bottles were able to be phased out completely. It’s now been 6 days since our last bottle (*knock on wood*) and while our nursing sessions still aren’t perfect, we’re slowly figuring it out. I think the key to breastfeeding is patience and persistence.

1. I used a nipple shield

I owe a lot of our breastfeeding relationship to the nipple shield. Though I’m still working on phasing it out, I’m not sure we would have been able to nurse without it. It allows Annalynn to latch a little easier and it’s actually a little comforting to see the milk build in the shield so I know baby girl is eating. I’ve already texted my cousin several times to thank her for the gift and for encouraging me to give it a try. It may be “frowned upon” in certain breastfeeding circles, but I am 100% pro-nipple shield.

1. I gave Annalynn a pacifier

Heck, it soothed my baby and allowed her to calm herself down so she could eat/sleep. A stress reliever for baby is a big stress reliever for momma. And you know what? She won’t even take it anymore! It was like one day she decided she didn’t want it anymore and the only thing that will calm her is the boob. Talk about a complete 180! It just goes to show you how quickly babies change their minds – every day is a new adventure.

1. I Googled for answers I made an appointment with a lactation consultant

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, making an appointment with a lactation consultant was one of the best decisions I’ve made thus far as a mom. She helped me see that all the things I thought I was doing “wrong” were actually things I had been doing right. She reminded me that Annalynn is learning to breastfeed, just like I am, and that takes time. She told me that’s it’s normal to go two steps forward and one step back, and encouraged me to continue to give it a go. Just when I was at my breaking point, she gave me the hope I needed.

20151019_133542

Breastfeeding is beautiful and natural, but it ain’t easy. I know we still have quite a journey ahead of us and, to be honest, that scares the hell out of me. However, I’m up for the challenge and am looking forward to see how the rest of it plays out.

I plan to continue to post updates as our journey continues. Like I said, every day is a new adventure and who know what next month (or tomorrow!) may bring.

1 [email protected] October 23, 2015 at 10:19 am

Oh gosh, those first few weeks of breastfeeding are SO HARD. My husband would get up with me for feedings–he’d change her diaper and re-swaddle and then bring her to me for feeding… I remember one night just breaking down, sobbing, “I can’t do this!” but I also knew she needed to eat and just made myself keep going. We also introduced a pacifier early on, and bottles as well–I only had 6 weeks of maternity leave so we needed to get her used to it. Once we got past the first 2-3 weeks, breastfeeding was pretty easy… we had a couple of hiccups later on, but nothing too major. Congratulations on pushing through, and asking for help. You’re an awesome mama!

2 Abby October 23, 2015 at 10:20 am

I was so glad to see a post like this! I had my first child a few weeks before Annalynn and man, no one tells you what a challenge breastfeeding can be and it really is a journey of 1 because everyone’s experience is different in its own way. We used a nipple shield the first few days and I think it definitely helped and we were able to slowly phase it out. We’re now 4 weeks into nursing, and its not always easy, but it has gotten easier for sure! Know that you’re not alone in the struggle and that you’re doing the best you can – Annalynn is lucky to have a loving mama 🙂
Abby recently posted..5 on Friday Randoms

3 Brianna October 23, 2015 at 10:40 am

I used a nipple shield with my third boy. He was tongue tied and losing a lot of weight. We ended up using that thing for 11 months and only stopped because I just weaned him. I also felt bad about using it, but it’s the best thing I ever did looking back. It helped us continue to breastfeed and my little guy to gain weight.

4 Kristen October 23, 2015 at 10:41 am

I actually thought nursing was WAY harder than giving birth, and I was induced, in labor for 30 hours, reached 9 cm dilated and then had to have a c-section. Nursing did get so much easier, but those early days were hard.

My lactation consultant had me pumping in the hospital the day the boys were born! I think pumping early really helped my supply.

Our pediatrician recommended that we give the boys one bottle a day from the very beginning. Neither of mine ever had nipple confusion, and one of mine ended up missing about 3 weeks of nursing because of unrelated severe medical issues, and he never had any nipple confusion.

Neither of mine liked a pacifier, but I tried….

5 Caitlin October 23, 2015 at 10:41 am

I know nipple shields are frowned upon but we used one for awhile! I would try to offer without it but it wouldn’t work. Around 3.5 – 4 months old my son finally started to be able to nurse without it. Things got so much easier around that time. I want you to know that it can take that long and it is ok. We nursed until he was 18 months.

6 Katie @ Live Half Full October 23, 2015 at 10:41 am

Thank you SO much for sharing!!! I’m about to start this journey and this is really, really helpful. Just do your best and keep it up!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Five Things Friday

7 Liz October 23, 2015 at 10:50 am

I SO wish I had given my daughter a bottle that early!!! I waited until 4 weeks like I was told to avoid nipple confusion and now I am almost 8 months in and my daughter has NEVER taken a bottle. This means that I have never been able to leave her with a babysitter for more than a few hours and everything has to be planned around her feeding times. I am convinced that nipple confusion is waaaaaaaaay less common than women are often led to believe and I will absolutely give my next baby a bottle much earlier. I am so happy I have been successful with breastfeeding but the bottle refusal has been a really big challenge for me emotionally. Sometimes mama needs a break! Anyway, all this to say, you are doing great and you might want to continue purposefully giving a bottle every day or two so that she keeps the skill and doesn’t start refusing it later. I also used a nipple shield for the first few weeks, and after that my daughter became a champion at latching! Good for you for trusting your mama instincts instead of Google! You will look back on this time in a few months and barely be able to remember how hard breastfeeding was. Soon it will be second nature!

8 Haley October 23, 2015 at 11:00 am

You’re doing great! Part of the difficulty of breastfeeding is that we learn from our mistakes.
I definitely recommend offering a bottle early on. Nipple confusion is just jibber jab IMO. Consistency is key!!! Good luck mama!
Haley recently posted..Five Things I’m Loving About the Taper

9 Paige October 23, 2015 at 11:08 am

I am 42 years old and have never had a child—BUT, I am so impressed with the way that you are doing what is best for your baby—giving her you KNOW she needs instead of bowing down to others’ opinions, message boards, etc. Makes me smile to see strong Mamas!!!!
Paige recently posted..Happy Birthday, Beulah!

10 Lucia October 23, 2015 at 11:15 am

Thank you so much for this post! My little guy was born 10/11 and I’ve been following your pregnancy posts since you were only a few weeks ahead of me. I’ve been struggling with breastfeeding and we actually ended up in the hospital because he had jaundice aggravated by not eating. We are using the nipple shield now and it’s been a lifesaver. We haven’t started to wean it off yet, but for now at least my baby is getting fed and having my breastmilk. Good to know I’m not alone in the struggle.

11 Jenny October 23, 2015 at 11:28 am

Keep on keepin on mama! You’re doing great! Breastfeeding is hard. And rewarding. And painful and powerful and a pain in the ass and soooo amazing. I feel very fortunate that I was and still able to breastfeed my kiddos. Both journeys were completely different and I wouldn’t trade anything of it for the world. The low times are outweighed by the high times.
I’ll spare you all of my suggestions and advice since I’m sure you’re getting more than enough of that but one thing I will say is trust your body (to make the milk your baby needs) and trust your baby. You will (if you haven’t already) feel like you’re not producing enough milk when all she wants to do is nurse but that’s only because she’s going through a growth spurt and she’s naturally increasing your supply to meet her needs. I wish someone told me those 2 things when I had my first. I guess that was 2 things, not I 🙂
Keep up the great work!!!

12 Katie D. October 23, 2015 at 11:29 am

Congrats on getting through the first 3 weeks! Your milk coming in is the hardest part, and figuring each other out is no joke either! It will definitely get easier from here on out, and I honestly think a good LC is worth their weight in gold. My husband made me call one on week two and I’m so glad I did. Turns out she wasn’t eating very long because I have a forceful letdown and she was getting ~3 oz in less than a few minutes! Trust your instincts, give a paci for your own sanity and hers, and feed your baby however you can with confidence. The best advice I got was “don’t give up on a bad day”. Like you mentioned, one latch goes great, the next not so much, and then back to great. I am 7 mo PP and now we don’t even think about it…she just eats. Keep up the great work! PS – we have a great local BF support group that meets in person and is on facebook. They are sanity – savers as well. See if you have one in your area 🙂

13 Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue October 23, 2015 at 11:38 am

You are doing great! Congratulations on staying the course through the tough times and trusting your mom instincts over Google, which I agree can be SO SCARY!
Kelly @ Noodle to the Rescue recently posted..Five Favorites – October 2015

14 Andrea October 23, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I think this will go down as one of your most powerful posts ever. New mamas need to know that there’s no wrong or right way to care for your child, especially in breastfeeding. This post brought back so many memories when I had my baby and was so scared I was doing everything “wrong.” So beautifully written and it was a great reminder for me as I’m due with my 2nd in less than two months.

15 Emily J October 23, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Great post! Loved it. Keep up the great work. Definitely not easy but worth it. There is no one right way to successfully breast feed.

16 Nicole October 23, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I’m glad you posted this! We have had our issues too and I plan to write a post about it. Breastfeeding is so complicated that it’s kind of crazy that women have been doing it successfully since the beginning of time! I’m glad you guys figured each other out and that you are trusting your mama instincts!
Nicole recently posted..Life With a Newborn

17 Linda @ The Fitty October 23, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I hear breastfeeding burns a lot of energy, although I’m not sure why. Any insight?
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Top 5 Tips on the Kind of Exercise to Choose for Yourself

18 Katherine October 23, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Your body spends 25% of its daily energy (re: calories) just making breast Milk! And the more your baby demands, the more you make. It’s really an amazing process.

19 Katherine October 23, 2015 at 7:38 pm
20 Cait October 23, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Great work, girl! I hated breastfeeding for the first 3 months at least. I just kept saying, 3 more months, 3 more months, and then I made it past my son’s second birthday! I came to love our special relationship and cried when it ended. It’s so nice to see you being so open about your experiences! Being a mama is hard.

21 Kelly October 23, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I’m no mom so admittedly I’m about 10,000 steps removed from mommy guilt and how sanctimonious certain parenting experts can be. That said, when you’re in the situations like you were above you just have to go with what actually works whether or not it is seen by others as the absolute best choice. The people around me I have seen who have been the most comfortable in mothering have been the ones who were able to take the advice around them with a grain of salt and realize you can still be an amazing mom without making what would culturally be seen as the absolute best choice in every possible situation. I’m pretty sure when we were growing up our parents weren’t as obsessed with doing everything 100% right and perfect as is so common now and yet, I like to think I turned out pretty well. Sometimes expectations of parents (and obviously moms especially) get to the point that they seem unrealistic and not entirely healthy. You can be an amazing mom without being 100% perfect!

22 meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles October 23, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I remember it like it was yesterday! The first month is seriously THE HARDEST and week three was the worst of it all! Growth spurt week! OMG, I didn’t think I would make it, but the, all of a sudden, breastfeeding just starts to become natural and second nature. Supply starts to just meet demand and the pain of latching is instantly just gone and things are in sync. I wish I would have given a bottle sooner because my son never took one at all and I blame it on NOT giving it earlier enough. Although I tried the pacifier, I should have given it more and sooner and I wish I pumped more early on too! You are doing great 🙂
meredith @ Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted..Japanese Sweet Potatoes & Next Week’s Meal Plan

23 Ashely@ Sweet Carolina Belle October 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Loved this post. As a mom to be, I am terrified and excited to breastfeed. Breastfeeding is not one size fits all. Just do what is best for you and your baby!
Ashely@ Sweet Carolina Belle recently posted..Friday Five

24 Emily October 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I love this because you are doing what works for you. You aren’t holding yourself rigidly to any certain way of breastfeeding because it seems that every mama is so different. :)) And I’ve been following your blog for about 4 or 5 years, and it’s so neat to see you as a sweet mama with a sweet beautiful baby girl!
Emily recently posted..Why We Should Travel

25 Katie October 23, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Congrats on making it to week 3! You are correct – those first 3 weeks are the hardest especially when you are trying to figure out breastfeeding. I swear by nipple shields and think you made a great decision. That little device literally saved me into continuing to nurse – I had so much pain, cracked nipples etc and having the shield kept the pain at bay for a bit. I used it for both of my kids the first few months. If you want advice on how to wean from it (feel free to throw my tips out the window), wait another month and then gradually try to work away from it. With my son, I would try to nurse without the shield and if he fought it, I would immediately put it back on and then nurse for 5 min and try to sneak it off. He had no confusion or anger but it did take a few weeks. Congrats again on your sweetie!

26 Melissa October 23, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Gosh you just took me back to a year ago. I too had to use a nipple shield for quite a while. We did phase it out though, and now at a year and a week old she still nurses twice a day. One of the biggest things you learn as a new mom is that you have to do what works for you and your baby in that moment and not worry about what anyone else may thing. It’s not their business. And at the end of the day, it’s not going to matter if your baby has a pacifier or not. What does matter is that she’s loved, which she obviously is. 🙂

27 Jennifer October 23, 2015 at 6:07 pm

I’m so glad you’re 5 things right were matched up with your 5 kings wrong. I thought you were being way too hard on yourself until I kept reading. I didn’t know nipple shields were frowned upon because every lactation consultant I saw showed me how to use one. It does get easier…. But for me it took months instead of weeks. So I wish you well. And just remember feeding your baby is the most important part (not necessarily the how you feed her) and you’re doing a great job!

28 Katherine October 23, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Go easy on yourself, momma! It gets better!

If you talk to nearly any nursing mom they’ll tell you it’s an up/down process.

29 Jennie October 23, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Thank you for sharing!

30 Heather October 23, 2015 at 7:37 pm

The hospital where J was born was pacifier free! I happened to bring one in case. I don’t have strong feelings about pacifiers, but I ended up giving it to him. He didn’t want it, but I left it in the little hospital cradle. When he returned from the nursery after tests, it was gone! I mean I get being pro-breastfeeding, but if I had been really into pacifiers that would have really angered me!

Anyway, aside from the bottle part I also did all of the same things wrong. I literally could not put my arms downs my chest hurt so much, so ended up pumping once on the first day. I used a nipple shield on one nipple for about a month, which helped us a ton. We are now 5 months in and doing great. Good luck!

31 Katie October 23, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I’ll admit to #1 #3 #4. In fact, we used the nipple shield until 9 months. Great post!

32 Jess October 23, 2015 at 10:01 pm

It definitely gets easier! Good on you for trying and being honest. You do your best in the circumstances and that is definitely what you did. So no regrets. Hope it gets easier from here on out.
Jess recently posted..Things I have learnt from wearing a Pedometer!

33 Kristin October 23, 2015 at 11:32 pm

Hi! My daughter is 2 and I had a horrible first month breastfeeding. I want to share some of the best advice I got. Coworker told me to pump as much as possible, especially when I was over producing and unregulated at the beginning, and then freeze the milk. I had at least 100 3-6 oz bags frozen in my freezer when I went back to work. Pump at least once a day and freeze it. It will also allow you t sneak out from some me time.

34 Eve October 24, 2015 at 12:53 am

It drives me crazy that new moms are warned so heavily against giving their baby a pumped bottle. Nipple confusion is actually really rare (according to two LCs I spoke to, as well as my pediatrician), and introducing the bottle early has made a HUGE difference in my nursing relationship with my son. He took the bottle or the breast without batting an eye, which made going back to work so much easier! I’m now 11.5 month into nursing my son, and I promise you it does get easier, but I remember feeling like it never would. For me, 6 weeks was the turning point. I used the nipple shield until my son was 2 months old and couldn’t have gotten through those first few months without it.

My advice is to keep giving her a bottle once in a while, so that she doesn’t completely forget what it is when you go back to work. You’re doing a wonderful job, mama-keep it up!

35 Mindy B. October 26, 2015 at 10:31 am

To be honest, all of the “mom guilt” and new Mom’s crying and driving themselves insane to successfully breastfeed makes me want to NOT breastfeed. I am stressed out from reading this post!

The Mom guilt out there to give your baby a pumped bottle or a formula bottle is just insane to me. Why is it so wrong to give your kid a bottle? I am not a mom yet, but I feel like I have made the decision already that I will pump (if I am lucky enough to have milk come in!) and bottle my baby. I just don’t know if all this stress over breastfeeding, the heartbreak if it doesn’t work, not being able to leave your babies side for more than 2 hours, screaming baby/crying mom is worth it.

36 Jen October 24, 2015 at 7:12 am

You need to do what you feel is best for you and the baby. Everyone will give you tips on what worked for them and what did not. There are no wrong decisions. Parenting is tough and those first 3 moths can be tough, take care of you so you can take care of your baby.

37 Jess October 24, 2015 at 9:46 am

“Frownimg” on nipple shields is so silly. I’m glad that you got help from a lactaction consultant instead of just googling things. Please remember that most people on the internet are experts on their own kid but they’re not going to be an expert on children in general.

As for pacifiers I was given conflicting information about pacifiers by different nurses. My daughter initially did not like pacifiers but now that she’s a bit older she’ll take one and it helps her sleep when she just wants to suck for comfort. My pediatrician pointed out it’s a lot easier to kick a pacifier habit then a thumb sucking one. (I was a former thumbsucker and had complicated orthodontic to show for it)

38 Jess October 24, 2015 at 9:50 am

Ps your insurance may also cover a pump ( although they don’t usually give it to you until your 6 week postpartum appointment which in my opinion is kind of ridiculous) also you may want to get extra nipple shields in case one gets lost or dirty

39 Molly Rose October 24, 2015 at 1:41 pm

such a great post!!! sounds like you are doing an amazing job with breastfeeding and feeling out the new-mom status! I love reading everyone’s experiences and cannot wait for my own one day.
Molly Rose recently posted..Run 4 Recovery 5k Recap

40 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life October 26, 2015 at 12:55 pm

LOVE this! I, too, thought that breastfeeding was just going to come easy because “it’s so natural” – but in the end we had a much more difficult time than expected. Everyone kept telling me that you just have to make it to 3 months and it would all be smooth sailing from there, which felt like the longest time EVER at that point. But it really was true, after about 12 weeks we finally fully got the hang of everything and breastfeeding did feel like that easy, natural thing. But keep at it mama – you’re making the best decisions for you and your baby, and that’s all that matters!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..My First Fabletics Experience

41 McKenzie October 26, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I am literally currently nursing my 4 month old son & so much of what you b said rang true. Breastfeeding is exhausting yet rewarding, and everyone has a unique experience. I, too, use a shield bc the LC in the hospital told me I have flat nipples. At first I tried so hard to get him off it right away but found it has helped me avoid soreness, which I am thankful. At 4 months, he is actually starting to wean himself from it. And I’m ok with using it as long as he needs. My little guy ate very very frequently thr first 2 months & slept terribly. I finally followed my gut & got him checked for lip & tongue tie, getting those fixed made such a difference. And lime your little one, he had bottles & pacifiers from the start (doesn’t take pacifiers now & isn’t picky about bottles when I’m at work). You are doing what is right for you & I thank you for sharing! Congrats!

42 Julie October 26, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I’m glad you are now feeling more at ease. This stuff is just so hard, and the public and even Google don’t do much to help moms feel better! I had major hormone issues after birth and did not have milk come in for almost 6 days… and thereafter verrry slowly (we did weighted feeds to confirm this, plus I didn’t leak or anything until later on in the first month), so the lactation consultants had us give a little formula just to hydrate him in those first days. It took weeks to get him from mostly formula to mostly breastmilk. But now he’s 11 months old and still nursing. There are many challenges coming your way still — pumping at work, nursing strikes/distracted nursing, teeth, or like me right now winding down on pumping at work and at some point weaning — but it will all work out.

I know it wasn’t ideal, but as a parent, it’s one of the many things that you do the best you can and then move on. He’s very happy, smart, strong, growing VERY well… and a good eater!
Julie recently posted..Nine Years Old

43 The Many Thoughts of a Reader October 27, 2015 at 1:44 pm

The nipple shield is the only way my kid would latch for eveerrrrr. I’d try without but it was not worth it. We used it for about 6ish months but without it I know I’d never would have made it a week let alone 13 1/2 months breastfeeding. My advice is to avoid all ‘bfing nazis’ because they do tell you you are doing things wrong when it’s right for you. The horror of the nip shield is the only way my kid would latch and to me getting her food was my main concern. And yeah when you are so rock hard you need relief and I could never hand express.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..If I had a million dollars…

44 Emilee October 27, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Keep trusting your instincts, good job! sometimes they are hard to hear clearly, but I find the best way to do it is to just do what you do, then don’t question it too much afterwards. I don’t know if you remember me, but I toured you at Cross Creek Ranxh when you were venue shopping. I’ve been following tour blog since before then. I’m in Tampa too and know exactly what you are going through if you need a local mom friend ?? I was lucky to have 3 friends pregnant with me and they have been a blessing to communicate with through this process. I’m here if you ever want to chat.

45 Sherri October 28, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Nice post here, and a good reminder about answering to yourself, since you are the one living with the decisions you make. I let both my babies take a bottle from their dad within hours of birth. I think the first bottle was breast milk, but we did formula as well. Honestly, I felt that as their dad, he should get to experience some of the closeness of feeding his own baby. Plus, it gave me the option of a few hours of freedom to run to the grocery store without worrying, with both us knowing that he could take care of the baby on his own. It worked for us. Glad you found what works for your family.

46 Cindy D. October 28, 2015 at 3:57 pm

My own breastfeeding experience with my son was truly challenging and in the end, we decided to bottlefeed. He REFUSED to breastfeed…we saw three (read: ALL the) lactation consultants at our hospital, tried support group with additional nurses and consultants and every hold, maneuver, bait-and-switch tactics, sugar water…you name it, we tried it. He was stressed, I was stressed (as in crying constantly and feeling horrible). It was just too much. I pumped what I could for him the first three weeks and then we strictly formula fed. He is 9 years old now and thriving. He’s been the picture of health since Day 1. The most important thing we can tell ourselves and other new mothers is that there is NO one right way to care for your baby. Kudos to you for recognizing that fact and for putting it out there. This post just helped some new mama feel better about the choices she’s making for HER baby. Keep it up!

47 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 28, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I’m glad to seeso many positive posts on here. Caring for a tiny human is hard enough without beating yourself up about it. Keep doing whatever works!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

48 Adrianne November 9, 2015 at 3:56 pm

This is so comforting to read!! As I anxiously await my little one (2 days to my EDD, 7 to induction if I make it that far!), it really helps to read everything you wrote. I know it’s not going to be easy, but knowing because it’s just what people say and knowing because you’ve been through it are totally different! As long as baby’s healthy, that’s really what matters <3 So glad to hear it's getting better for you!

49 Kristy November 21, 2015 at 3:31 am

I love that ! Need to get ahold of hubby’s phone so I can pull off photos of me fast asleep with Lolly nursing in bed next to me.
Once the initial learning period was done I wouldn’t need to be awake for more than 5 minutes to change nappy, put baby on boob then go back to sleep. I’d naturally wake up after she’d fed back to sleep and just pop her back in the bassinet beside the bed so I could snuggle hubby and stretch out without worrying about baby

50 Babyenvye May 30, 2016 at 2:35 am