Two Week Update

by Meghann on October 16, 2015

Happy two week birthday, Annalynn!

AnnalynNewborn-9749

AnnalynNewborn-9768largecanvas AnnalynNewborn-9788

AnnalynNewborn-9772

(photo credit Jaylin Photography)

I know I said this in my last post, but how the heck do new moms keep up with any sense of a regular blogging schedule?  I’m currently typing one handed via my phone while baby girl eats at 4am. I guess new moms just have to be resourceful?

It’s been two weeks since Annalynn’s birth and I’m happy to report baby girl is growing like a weed! She’s already surpassed her original birth weight  (she’s up to 7 pounds!) and grown a full inch! Baby girl is long (71st percentile) and lean (17th percentile). Yes, I’m officially one of those moms who can spit out height and weight numbers and percentiles at the drop of a hat.

Derek and I actually gave each other a high five leaving her two week appointment on Wednesday. We did it! We survived the first two weeks and baby girl is thriving! It felt like our first parenting victory.

AnnalynNewborn

Of all the challenges that come with new parenthood, breastfeeding is definitely at the top of the list as one of the hardest and most rewarding. Once we’re a little further in (everyday is still a new adventure when it comes to breastfeeding), I’d love to dedicate a post to our experience thus far. Let’s just say that during week one I ended up in a lactation consultant’s office in tears assuming I had done everything wrong (Google is a scary place for a new mom). Making that appointment was one of the best decisions I’ve made since Annalynn arrived. The lactation consultant was warm, welcoming, and assured me I was not doing everything wrong. Baby girl is learning how to breastfeed, just like me, and that takes time. She also invited me to join a couple of her new mom groups. I attended my first on Tuesday and it was amazing. It was a complete no judgement zone of about a dozen moms (most of which were openly breastfeeding throughout the session) discussing all the challenges (and victories) that come with new motherhood. There were a lot of tears shared, as well as the invaluable knowledge that you’re not the only one going through the same emotions.

12141091_10106774935411973_6303849932071114172_o

Sisters also make great resources. Kelly stayed with us over the weekend and answered my million+ questions. We also talk everyday via Facetime or phone. Annalynn and I are really thankful to have her in our lives.

My recovery is still going smoothly. I’ve been enjoying daily walks with my new family of four (including Maddie) and can now walk around the two blocks that make up our neighborhood, a huge improvement from barely being able to walk to the back of Walgreens to pick up my prescription the day I came home from the hospital.

2weeks postpartum

In total, I gained 50 lbs while pregnant and have lost 30+ of that number thus far. A lot of my swelling has gone down and I can finally fit in my normal shoes again (it’s the little things) and my face feels like it’s back to being mine. I still have a long way to go, but I’m in no hurry to get there just yet. Feeding my baby girl and soaking up new motherhood is my number one priority.

Daddyandannalynn

Derek went back to work yesterday and we were sad to see him go. We had originally debated whether he should take the full two weeks of his paternity week at the beginning or save one for when I go back to work (keep in mind he’ll still receive an additional two weeks when I go back, so “saving” one of the weeks would give him three weeks when I go back). I’m so grateful that we decided he should stay the full two weeks with us up front. It was amazing having him home, especially since I was recovering from my csection and couldn’t lift anything heavy or move really fast. Derek has really stepped up into the role of fatherhood and there’s nothing that makes me happier than seeing the two of them together. Annalynn already has her daddy wrapped around her little finger and he wouldn’t have it any other way.

Now the real fun begins as Annalynn and I navigate the next 10 weeks as a duo (at least from 9-5 during the week). Let the adventures begin!

1 Alex M October 16, 2015 at 10:46 am

Love reading your updates! I’m due with my first in April and my husband is also taking the first two weeks off. It’s good to get the perspective on what life is like adjusting to a new baby.

2 Sana October 16, 2015 at 11:01 am

You’ve got this!! Baby girl is stunning!

3 Nicole October 16, 2015 at 12:11 pm

It’s so nice following along with your blog since our little ones are only a day apart! These first2 weeks have been hard but so rewarding! Sounds like you’re doing a great job!

I went to two lactation support groups since Siena’s birth and it has been sooo great. we all openly breast feed and just talk about life with a little one. I never thought I’d be so open with my boobs but something changes when you become a mom! Haha
Nicole recently posted..The Future of This Blog & Thinking About Postpartum Fitness

4 Nicole October 16, 2015 at 12:12 pm

And forgot to mention how adorable she is!!! I’m jealous that you got her to sleep for her newborn photos – our was a semi disaster! Ha

5 Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey October 16, 2015 at 1:14 pm

She is so cute and you look fantastic!
Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey recently posted..Friday Favorites Pt. 22

6 Reenie October 16, 2015 at 1:22 pm

She is adorable. That’s so great that Derek gets that much time off too. That pic of him holding her and looking at her…. so cute.

How’s Maddie doing since bringing Annalynn home?

7 Dietitian Jess October 16, 2015 at 1:51 pm

She is perfect!!!! No babies here yet- but breastfeeding difficulties are a serious fear of mine and I feel like there is so much pressure because no one talks about the tough parts…. hoping the journey will start to go a little smoother for you! <3 congrats again
Dietitian Jess recently posted..Orzo & Veggie Salad with Hummus Dressing

8 Katie @ Live Half Full October 16, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Congrats on making it thorough the first two weeks! My husband and I have a bottle of champagne ready to go for when we make it though week one, haha! I’m 3 days from my due date and it’s refreshing to hear about the first few weeks, keep sharing!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Five Things Friday

9 Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks October 16, 2015 at 2:46 pm

I can’t believe it’s been two weeks! What a nice resource to have a lactation consultant and a mom group. I bet our mom’s didn’t have those. I don’t have any babies and you’re making it look easy. 🙂
Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks recently posted..Fun Friday Favorites 8: All the Food

10 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 16, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Annalynn is adorable. I’m glad to hear things are going well!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

11 Linda @ The fitty October 16, 2015 at 3:23 pm

She’s here!!!!

I have been following your journey since the beginning of your pregnancy and it’s such a blessing to see your little one finally born.
Linda @ The fitty recently posted..9 Fall Things You Should Absolutely Do

12 Jess October 16, 2015 at 4:06 pm

She is so so so sweet and you look amazing! Seriously! You are doing such a great job x
Jess recently posted..This Week!

13 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood October 16, 2015 at 8:40 pm

She is so precious!! Enjoy these first weeks, we’ll all be here when you’re able to have a schedule!! Breastfeeding is definitely tough in the beginning, but (in my experience) if you keep at it it becomes second nature.
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted..Friday Favorites #25

14 Katherine October 16, 2015 at 9:19 pm

What a beautiful baby girl you have! Breastfeeding was really, really hard for me and my little guy at the beginning. We did exactly what you did and saw a lactation consultant. I also watched a lot of videos on the proper latch for a baby, and made sure he had one arm on either side of my rib cage to draw him as close as possible.

He’s 10 1/2 months now, and it’s easy. 🙂 Hang in there momma, it gets so much better!!!! I know it’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel from here.

15 Laura October 16, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I love the customized onesie! Do you know where it’s from?

16 Meghann October 17, 2015 at 8:32 am

It’s Etsy! I was Etsy obsessed when I was pregnant.

17 Allison October 17, 2015 at 8:39 am

Way to go Meghann! Seeking advice from an LC was the best thing you could have done. I shed so many tears over nursing in the beginning. My son had tongue tie and never got the hang of nursing, but I’m exclusively pumping for 6 months now. So glad that I found a way to make it work. Keep up the good work, you’re doing great!

18 Jess October 17, 2015 at 8:41 am

Mothers groups are such a sanity saver! I’ve made some great friends that way.

Also getting out of the house once a day. Even if it’s just to go for a walk or to buy diapers at target. It forces you to put on clothes and talk to other adults.

19 Liz October 17, 2015 at 10:23 am

Breastfeeding is hard at the beginning! My girl had trouble latching for the first few weeks and I remember feeling like we would never get the hang of it. She’s 7 months now and I think she could latch upside down in the dark if she had to 🙂 Lactation consultants are such a great resource, and you are right, Google is NOT! I had to force myself after a while to stop reading anything on a forum or message board about breastfeeding. As long as your little one is gaining weight and wetting diapers, everything is good!

20 Mary October 17, 2015 at 11:57 am

Lovely photos!
Sounds like you have things sussed with your time off as a family together.
Glad all is going well! 🙂
Mary recently posted..Busy teaching times

21 Crystal October 18, 2015 at 1:57 am

Two weeks was the turning point for me. I figured out how to nurse laying down so I want breaking down at the am crying because I was so tired.

Getting used to Derrick being gone will be a challenge, but once you get the hang of it, it’s not bad. It sounds like you’ve got it together better than I did with my first though!

22 Stacey October 19, 2015 at 5:21 pm

That is one cute baby!! I’m an RN in a NICU and can attest that every mom and baby go through struggles with breast feeding. It’s a learning process. You’re doing great!
Stacey recently posted..And to think I used to hate 10ks…