5 Pregnancy Truths

by Meghann on September 22, 2015

I really can’t say enough how thankful I am to be pregnant and carrying my sweet baby girl, but I’d be lying if I said pregnancy was all rainbows and sunshine. Here are five truths of pregnancy at 37 weeks:

Truth: I’m so uncomfortable right now.

Baby girl has herself in the most awkward position. I’m finding it difficult to sit or stand up straight. Every roll or kick feels like I’m being stretched to my limits. I wouldn’t say it’s painful, but it’s definitely not pleasant. Sleeping is the absolute worse. I’ve had to place a pillow under my belly at night for extra support, but even then it’s hard to find a comfortable position. Mix that with having to get up every couple of hours to pee and you can see why I haven’t had a decent night of sleep in weeks.

Truth: I feel huge.

Not just my belly, but my arms, face, legs, ankles – everything feels huge. I’ve reached the point of pregnancy where I hate photos of myself and I really dislike getting dressed in the morning. I’m most comfortable when I’m wearing an extra large nightgown (mumu) at home, but that’s unfortunately that’s against the dress code at work. I don’t know if it’s the hormones or what, but I find myself zeroing in on all of my current imperfections and having a little pity party most days (I cry a LOT). I never knew how hard it would be to watch not just my body change, but the shape of my face and the appearance of my skin and my hair change as well. I really do love being pregnant and my baby bump, but it’s really, really hard not to compare yourself (and the way you look) to other beautiful pregnant women.

Truth: I’m sad my belly button never popped.

I’m in week 37 and my belly button is not even close to popping. It’s still a deep (slightly wider) hole with a belly button ring freely dangling at top. I never meant to keep my belly button ring in throughout pregnancy, but I never saw any reason to take it out either. It still has plenty of room to wiggle and I frankly find it amusing when folks are so shocked that I still have it in. If I’m being honest, I’m slightly jealous of women whose belly buttons do pop during pregnancy. Mine just looks like a big dark never ending hole.

Truth: Everyone’s pregnancy is flying by but mine.

It feels like I’ve been pregnant for-ever. However, everyone else’s pregnancy seems to be going by at lightning speed. Why is time moving so slow for me and fast for them? Totally not fair. I know everyone keeps telling me to enjoy the next couple of weeks, but I’m so ready to meet our little girl. I want the time to fly by as quickly as possible.

Truth:  I’m scared.

I’m scared of everything. I’m scared of going under the knife, I’m scared of driving with a precious newborn in the backseat for the first time, I’m scared of how Maddie will be around the new addition, I’m scared of being judged by other moms, I’m scared that breastfeeding won’t work out, and I’m scared of the million-and-one possible outcomes of things that will go wrong. I’ve never been more scared in my life and the crazy hormone overload doesn’t help. Did I mention all the crying?

1 Laura September 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Thanks for posting this 🙂 I’m 38+5 right now with a breech baby (we tried to turn it today with an external cephalic version at the hospital, which was unsuccessful) so I’m heading into a c-section on September 29 and I’m also tired, SO uncomfortable, and scared.

All of your truths are truths for me too, and it’s nice to know that I’m not alone. We will both have beautiful babies soon! I can’t wait to read about yours and and your journey (how on earth are you supposed to start working out again after a c-section?? There is so little information out there!) Good luck, mama!

2 Angie September 23, 2015 at 12:24 am

I had a scheduled c section in June, and my exercise restrictions and clearances were exactly the same as they would have been with a vaginal delivery.

6 weeks, full clearance.

That said, I tried to run immediately after my 6 week checkup, and it didn’t feel so great, so I slowed myself down and focused on walking with the stroller. At 12 weeks, I started running again, but I am much slower than I was before pregnancy. I’ll either get back to where I once was, or I won’t. I’m not particularly stressed about it either way. I’m enjoying my babies too much to care about race paces.

3 Becky September 22, 2015 at 5:52 pm

I don’t know if any of this will help, but the truth is everyone is scared. Every soon to be and new parent is terrified, feels inadequate, and doubts everything. I have a 6 month old and I found myself nodding the entire time I was reading your post. I’m sure you’ve heard this and I know it’s hard to believe right now but something will click when she’s born. You’ll still be scared, there will still be doubt but you’ll be her mom and you will just know what’s right and what’s wrong. I didn’t want to hear any of this at the end of my pregnancy, I didn’t want advise or even to talk about birth or the baby because I was just so nervous and scared. I hope this helps a little, praying for you all!

4 Melissa September 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm

oh man the end gets really hard! Have some faith in yourself and your husband. It sounds like you have an amazing support system so let them be there for you. My advice: 1. Say yes to help 2. You won’t be “just like” other moms but find moms that support you and you support despite differences 3. The first few months (ok year) are amazing but also a big adjustment (even though some people make it look easy).

Also, my son was s scheduled breech c-section and I have no regrets. It was the safest way to get him out. The first couple days of recovery are tough, but the more you move, the quicker you’ll regain strength. Listen to your nurses and stay ahead of the pain meds the first few days. I found the first 24 hours they brought them on a schedule but after that they waited for me to request what I needed – advocate for yourself or ask your husband to help.

Lots of luck! Soon you’ll be snuggling your baby girl and offering new moms support!

5 Katie September 22, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Thank you for this candid post.

6 Laureen @Peachylau September 22, 2015 at 5:55 pm

You’ll be a great mum x

7 Julie September 22, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Yeah, it’s hard at the end, and to be fully honest, it’s rough in the beginning, too. But know that uncomfortableness, looking not your best, going under the knife, and doing everything for the first time with your newborn will pass.

Now as for everyone else’s pregnancy flying by… try to milk these last minutes — go eat a meal at a normal pace with two hands. Watch a movie without interruption. That’s what I miss the most.
Julie recently posted..Review: Extend Nutrition Anytime Bars

8 Mary September 22, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I have absolutely zero desire to be pregnant or be a mom, but hot damn. What women go through with all of this is absolutely amazing. When my SISTER was pregnant, I was scared! It’s incredible, all the changes and differences, but you are, or at least appear to be, handling it with such grace and beauty. I tend to skip over the pregnant belly pictures bc they still make me squeamish, but the fact that you’re thinking about all of these things all of the future things, it just shows youre going to be a really amazing mom.
Mary recently posted..Echo Mountain and the fair!

9 Daniella September 22, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Oh, girl. I want to give you a big hug! I can relate to everything you said. I’m almost 2 months postpartum with my second. Give yourself lots of grace and self care in these coming weeks (and months!) Trust your instincts and always do what’s best for you, no matter what others think. I’ve been cheering you on your whole pregnancy journey – and I know you’ll make a fantastic mom! Xoxo.

10 Nicole September 22, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Hang in there!!! I feel huge too (40 weeks on Friday) – and wonder what life will be like post partem when I don’t have a “cute” belly to hide behind! I’m also terrified of what life will be like with a newborn – I just keep banking on the fact that I’ll have an undying love for this little baby that everything will be worth it, since that’s what everyone keeps telling me!
Nicole recently posted..Bump date Weeks 38-39

11 Nicole September 22, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Aw! All prego moms have the same emotions. Well at least I did! I cried every day either on my way to work one hour one way in ATL traffic or on the way home. It is scary. I had a C-Section too. I gained over 70 lbs and I hated the way I looked so I only have 2 prego pictures and now I am so sad about that. Even though I was scared I miss the little kicks and punches. My sister flew in for my C-Sec. and a couple important important appts and she would sit and just put her hand on my belly and it was such a special bonding experience for us. I cannot wait to do the same thing to her one day. Now my son 5 years old and I can tell you I remember the emotions and all the hurts but I would not trade it for the world. It is hard but it is so worth it.

12 Beth September 22, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Oh- I remember all of this all too well. The thing I hated the most was getting in and out of cars.

You will do great. But it is scary and exciting. And the crying for me happened until about two weeks after my Henry was born. I had so many issues getting pregnant that I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t stop crying after he was born. Hormones are a beyotch.

But like everybody says. It is awesome. So awesome. And every once in a while you’ll get that, “I got this,” feeling.
Good luck!!!
Beth recently posted..Mowing the grass

13 Heather September 24, 2015 at 9:36 am

Ha! I had to respond to this because I love your comment of “And every once in a while you’ll get that “I got this” feeling” TOO TRUE! When my littles are both in bed and completely asleep by 7:30 and the house is clean and quiet, my husband and I high five and seriously think “We SO got this!” Then tomorrow happens…. 🙂

14 Silvia September 22, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Aw. One things for sure: you will be a great mom. You have one yourself. I am sure she will support you anyway she can.

15 Renee September 22, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Your honesty is so refreshing and your feelings are so very normal. I remember thinking that I had maxed out the stretch on all of my clothes the last few weeks. I have a beautiful almost 4 year old son and parenting has been the most amazing experience of my life. Everyday it is filled with great joy, laughter and sometimes tears as we are all learning. I had an emergency c-section and felt for the longest time that I somehow failed. It has taken a while but now I look down at my scar and think, “That is where an amazing miracle took place,” I pray that you have a great delivery. You will do great! There is nothing better than being a Mom! Congratulations!

16 Michelle September 22, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Believe me – you do not want your belly button to pop! Mine did and it’s still popped. It got worse with every kid and with Evan it just decided not to go back. I love what it represents, but when I’m really bloated it looks like I’m pregnant and BLERG.

Also – nobody’s pregnancy goes by fast. Lol. Maybe the first 8 months, but that last month? It’s like the entire pregnancy in slow motion.

Finally — it’s OK to be scared. It’s normal. I hate to break it to you (I doubt I’m the first person to say this though), but the scariness doesn’t go away. Being a parent is horrible, but it’s also the best thing I’ve ever done. You’ve got this! You can’t control the future, you can only control how you feel in this very moment. Embrace the moment.
Michelle recently posted..Things That Are Kicking My Butt

17 Meagan September 22, 2015 at 8:49 pm

We’re not even close to being ready to have kids but I already worry about so many things with being pregnant/having kids. Being a mom is one of the biggest things I’m looking forward to in life and with so much expectation, there’s a lot to worry about. The next few weeks may not fly by, but the ones after that will so don’t forget to imagine all the ways you can cherish your new gift.
Meagan recently posted..Spencerville Family 5k Run/Walk Recap

18 Crystal September 22, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I remember how uncomfortable I was at the end. It’s so awful.

Being scared does get better. I worry about my kids all the time, but it’s not that underlying fear that colors most of the day. If breastfeeding doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. You do your best and find something that works for you. Lactation consultants and a non crazy breastfeeding group can be miracle workers though.

19 Allison September 22, 2015 at 11:15 pm

The crying has only just begun. All my worst nightmares came true – 36 hour labor, emergency section, almost died, couldn’t breastfeed because my battered body wouldn’t produce any milk… And you know what? Over a year out and life is great, for real:) You will do it and you will thrive! I’ve been reading your blog for a long time. Just float and enjoy the ride:)

20 Regina September 23, 2015 at 5:27 am

1. If you find mamas who judge other mamas, stay away! Were all just trying to do our best, and everyone’s best looks differently and what’s best for every family is different. Find other mamas who you enmesh with and believe me, once she’s here, you WILL find other mamas. And they’ll be awesome support systems and resources for all the hormonal crazies. Cause once she’s here, those hormonal crazies are forever 🙂
2. It’s totally normal to be scared. I still remember having our first. I was terrified through the 19 hours of labor, terrified when it was finally time to push and even more terrified when they placed him on my chest and I was suddenly trusted to care for this tiny human and keep him alive. But you just do it. I was even more scared the second time when I wondered how I’d ever keep 2 kids alive and well. And 22 hours later, it came just as naturally. They’ll be difficult times, difficult days, maybe even difficult weeks but you get through it all. And the love is indescribable, and it absolutely makes it all easier.
3. Even if you’re self conscious now, keep those pictures. You’ll look back on them fondly one day. Want to know a secret? Most of those “beautiful pregnant ladies” feel self conscious and uncomfortable too! It’s always hard to watch you lose control of your own body, even if it’s for the best possible reason.
4. In the end, nothing matters but her. And it’ll be worth it all. At 21.5 weeks pregnant with my 3rd, I can honestly say you’ll always be scared of something, it’s part of being a mom. But the joy and love you’re about to experience is worth it all a million fold.
5. As hard as it is, especially at the end, enjoy these fleeting moments of kicks and wiggles and a belly table. As lonnnnng as the end feels, when it’s over and you look back on it all, you’ll think it flew by. Cause life with kids flies even faster 🙂
Regina recently posted..Minestrone Soup

21 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner September 23, 2015 at 6:54 am

You are so not alone with those feelings! It’s perfectly normal and expected to be scared. It is good that you recognize it though because that might mean you adjust better to the huge life change. I adjusted horribly with both my kids because I thought it was just going to be butterflies and rainbows. Ha! You are beautiful and you are going to be a fabulous mom! Try not to compare yourself too much – parenting is a very individual thing. Do what works for you and your baby. Can’t wait to “meet” her!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..baby boy: 9 months

22 Natalie September 23, 2015 at 7:00 am

You are about to go through THE biggest change of your life – what you are focusing on right now (your belly button, how other people’s pregnancies were faster than yours, etc.) is not going to help you in the least.
Accept that pregnancy (and being a mom) presents a lot of things that are out of your control, and you just have to roll with the punches. Focus on the more important things – like getting your house ready, meal prep, taking some long slow walks with your husband – and before you know it, your baby will be here. Take some times and sit in the nursery, too.
I understand being scared of your c-section. It will be ok – you’ll be uncomfortable afterwards, but bodies are amazing and were made to heal. But remember, this is happening because it’s the safest option for you and your baby. Having a c-section doesn’t make you any less of a mom. Your focus will be (and should be) completely on your baby once she is in your arms. You will be amazed how your focus shifts instantly from yourself and whatever imperfections you are obsessing about, to how you would give your life for your baby in a second.
One day at a time.

23 Kristen September 23, 2015 at 7:19 am

I’m glad to hear your piercing is in and the hole didn’t stretch! I took mine out a few years ago and there is still a mark.
Kristen recently posted..Badger Game

24 Tara September 23, 2015 at 7:51 am

Long time reader, first time commenter. I had my first baby about a month ago and everything you are feeling is normal! (Or at least I felt it too.) My nose was so swollen I barely recognized my face, my feet looked like Fred Flinstone feet, and I was terrified of labor and everything after. I seriously wanted pregnancy to be over. But looking back, I honestly had a wonderful experience (despite things not being 100% easy all the time). In the end all you will remember is the moment that baby is put in your arms. You will look back on your pregnancy and be happy you documented it (I didn’t because I thought I was so gross and I regret it). You will even miss it in a way that doesn’t make sense (because it was so miserable at the end!) but it was such a special time for you and your little one. Good luck, mama. You’re going to be great!

25 Katie D. September 23, 2015 at 8:06 am

You are not alone! I swear my face was distorted the last few weeks I was pregnant. And the fear. OMG the fear! I was induced, so much like a scheduled C-section, going to the hospital was very anti-climatic. With no contractions to distract me, all I could think about was how everything was going to change and all the possible risks of labor and delivery. I sobbed uncontrollably the whole drive to the hospital (an hour) and had to sit in the parking lot and gather myself before we went in.

26 Laura September 23, 2015 at 8:54 am

I’m right there with you at 35 weeks along! I confessed to my husband a few weeks ago that I hate being pregnant and he was like “I know” haha but it felt so good to actually say even though I’m so grateful to be able to be pregnant and growing this baby. I haven’t cried very much but I did cry last week after I ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut and they called to say the delivery driver had a flat and they wouldn’t be bringing my pizza. I wanted it so bad! And I’m totally uncomfortable right now. I feel like my right ribs are really taking a beating! And I miss just being able to move normally, bend over, twist, etc. And the gas, don’t even get me started….
Laura recently posted..Getting Pregnant: Timing and Trying

27 Abbey September 23, 2015 at 9:07 am

It’s amazing how many things you can find to be scared about and unfortunately it doesn’t get any easier once the baby is here. I never understood the saying ‘It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body’ until I had a baby. You’ll do the very best you can and just know that even if someone looks like they have it all figured out they probably don’t either lol
As for the c-section, its was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. I wanted a completely natural birth and had to have a surgery due to my son’s head/shoulder size. I had a few days of crying when the plan changed. The surgery itself was easy and the excitement of meeting your little girl will carry you through it 🙂 The recovery wasn’t fun but it was manageable. Within a week or two I was feeling pretty much back to normal as long as I was careful not to overdo it and by 5 weeks I was dancing the night away at my best friend’s wedding.
Before delivery I think the best thing my husband and I did was take the Sunday before to just be together and enjoy a day out. We went to brunch and then did some fun fall things like checking out the local market.

28 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood September 23, 2015 at 9:28 am

I remember feeling this way my last few weeks. Everyone kept telling me to enjoy it and enjoy the time with just my husband, and bloggers who were due near me were soaking in the last few moments alone and I was just like, nope, get this kid out. I want to meet you! You’re so close though! Also, so weird you wanted your belly button to pop! I was PRAYING mine didn’t! It got super flat but that was all and I was happy about it.
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: That Time I Really Wanted Shrimp Cocktail

29 Ashley September 23, 2015 at 9:54 am

Thank you for sharing this! I’ve loved your honestly throughout. You will be an amazing mother. Don’t even worry about this. You got it!

30 Jessica September 23, 2015 at 10:11 am

Everything will 100% be all right! Pregnancy throws every single change at you all at once and it can be terrifying.
Lean on your mom and your sister. Accept every bit of help offered. And try to remember this: All you have to do is love your baby with all your heart. Hold her, snuggle her, sing to her, adore her, love, love, love. How or what you feed her doesn’t matter. How she is born doesn’t matter. What other moms do with their babies doesn’t matter. All that matters is that you do the best you can. YOU know what is best for her better than anyone because YOU are her mother. First time mom or no, you will be amazing. Have faith in yourself, laugh at your mistakes, and keep on trucking.

31 Rachel September 23, 2015 at 10:14 am

I’m at the end of my pregnancy too and some days are harder than others! My advice? Put on one of those cute new outfits from White Plum, do your make up and hair, and go out for appies and mocktails with your husband! I’ve been doing this a LOT this last month and it’s crazy how good it is for my ego!

32 Grace September 23, 2015 at 10:23 am

My daughter is only four years old, and to be honest I can barely remember much from my pregnancy, except that it was uncomfortable at the end. These next few weeks will fly by, the birth will be faster than you could ever expect, and then once your daughter is born, everything you worried or obsessed about during your pregnancy will be instantly and completely forgotten. It will be replaced with a whole new set of fears and worries 🙂 but even those will quickly subside as you learn and grow along with your baby.
Pregnancy is like wedding planning – exciting and interesting to those who are engaged, and so minor and short-lived that it’s almost laughable to married couples.
I know it’s hard to “enjoy” the final few weeks of pregnancy, but rest while you can, relish your solitude and freedom (two things you won’t really get to experience again for the next 18+ years, ha!) and know that it is all just a small small drop in the bucket in comparison to motherhood. The real journey hasn’t even begun!

33 Becky@ Journey to a Fulfilling Life September 23, 2015 at 11:45 am

Oh Meghann! I’m not a mom but just felt the need to post. You’re a strong woman, and you’ll be a great Mom! Be sure to read through all of your comments above – these ladies have such good advice. I especially like the ones about not comparing yourself to other pregnant ladies or other moms – everyone and every situation is so different. Be the best YOU you can be and you’ll rock it out! Take care of you too! This is so important, for all of us, but especially for a soon to be new mom!

34 Jax September 23, 2015 at 11:49 am

You look tiny to me Meghann! Best wishes!

35 Nicole September 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Thank you for being so truthful and just so honest with us! I can totallly relate to most of this.

Truth 1 – I can relate to not sleeping well. I’m in my 2nd trimester and and I pee about 20 times per night. I’ve always been a back sleeper and it is really really hard not to sleep on my back. So I too can’t get any sleep.

I’m short so any extra weight on me looks horrible. I’m 21 weeks and I finally took pregnancy photos of myself. I know how it feels not wanting to taking pregnancy photos of yourself. I feel so big and so ugly. I hate the way I look right now. And yes I am constantly comparing myself to all of those tall, thin gorgeous women who only seem to gain in the belly. Which brings me to my next point.

I actually don’t want my belly button to pop. I’ve never been a fan of the outies…..but so be it if it does. Actually I’m quite terrified of it popping. Isn’t it funny how we all want different things.

Oh and btw your pregnancy is speeding by! I’m actually jealous of you. Everytime I read your posts I wish I was were you were. When I was only 8 weeks into my first I remember how I wish I could be were you were….your cute pregnant belly and well into your second semester. Now that I am here I wish I were in my 3rd tri and closer to my due date.

We are all just crazy hormonal pregnant gals and we are all going through most of the same things. You are going to be ok. Once that sweet baby girl is in your life this post will seem like a million worries away!!!

36 Amy September 23, 2015 at 3:03 pm

It’ll get worse before it gets better unfortunately. But then they’ll be 9 and 12 and you’ll forget how hard it was and lovingly admire every baby that you see but be silently thankful that the little baby doesn’t belong to you and you have cool older kids you get to enjoy.

I had great pregnancies but got crazy after – my hair was always a major issue and I had 3 haircuts in one day and cut it myself when my 2nd child was a few weeks old. I laugh about it now 😉

37 JennyV September 23, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Find something you love about yourself and focus on in intently. I can’t imagine the total ‘out of body’ feeling of pregnancy (I’ve never been pregnant myself!) but I do understand a poor self-image. Look in your eyes and see the eyes of a MOM. Indulge some of the love, care, and joy you already feel for your baby girl on yourself. Love is beautiful..

38 Valerie September 23, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I know those last few weeks do drag by, but trust me….Get sleep now!

39 Meg September 23, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Hang in there. Everything you described s 100% normal!

40 Allyson September 24, 2015 at 3:51 am

The say when you’re pregnant your hormones are messing with you. You became irritated for the most ridiculous reasons and then the next time you’re happy again. It’s okay to feel that way. It’s okay to be scared, but just hang in there, don’t count the time and then you’ll realize the moment you’ve been waiting for has finally came! I wish you all the best! We can’t wait to meet Maddie too!
Allyson recently posted..Indulging Myself with Powerful Phase 3!

41 Heather September 24, 2015 at 9:30 am

First of all – kudos to you for being honest with your feelings! Women do each other a disservice when we act like we have this thing called parenthood nailed down. It is a daily roller coaster! Pregnancy is scary, labor and delivery is scary, parenting is scary! Any woman who says it’s not is a liar. If it helps, every little thing you’re feeling is 110% totally, completely normal. That being said, you and Derek will do GREAT. Trust your instincts, Mama! (<— that is the single best piece of parenting advice ever given to me) My littles are 18 mo and 4 mo. They are by far the hardest challenge I've ever accepted in life and also the absolutely most rewarding thing to ever happen to me. When they place that little miracle baby in your arms, your heart and your world will implode in the most amazing way ever.

42 amyt September 24, 2015 at 11:32 am

Truth….. You will miss being pregnant. Sounds strange….but you will feel that emptiness of the baby being gone…the movements – that life being there.

I remember those uncomfortable days (my first was breech…but she flipped right before time. I felt her flip breech…then flip back – talk about a FLOP) getting in your ribs…..mashing your bladder!!!!! My last 2 were on my sciatic nerve….talk about painful – it was terrible, just getting up to walk – those first couple of steps, I would literally cry knowing what was coming.

BUT in the end – all worth it!!!

btw – my belly button never popped out on all 3 of mine…..it sort of looked like a wide slit …… lol

43 Kelly September 24, 2015 at 11:47 am

Good luck, you will be just fine. I agree with people that said it gets worse before it gets better. End of pregnancy is nothing compared to having a newborn. Just know that it will get better and you will get through it.

44 Lisa September 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Love this post! I’m 15 weeks and have been following your journey. So happy for you! And I agree, it seems like when you get pregnant time slooooooooows down! It’s going by at a snail’s pace for me!

45 Laurie September 25, 2015 at 8:33 am

I’ve read your blog for a long time, but never commented before…I just wanted to chime in and say that I had a (unplanned) c-section with my first and breastfeeding went great. I’ve since gone on to do a lactation counselor training and work with pregnant & postpartum moms. Do lots of skin to skin with baby girl – great for her, for you, and for breastfeeding. Know ahead of time where you can get lactation support if you need it – maybe the hospital has a group? Or are there IBCLCs who do home visits near you? And, no matter how it goes, most important is feeding baby girl and her having a happy mom. Best of luck!!

46 Ali September 25, 2015 at 11:08 pm

I’m 33 weeks pregnant right now and I’ve been following yours this whole time. I always feel like yours is cruising right along and I have to far to go still! Isn’t that funny how that works out? I also agree with every one of your truths. I feel the exact same way. I feel huge and I cry a lot and I’m super uncomfortable and then I cry more because I realize I could have like 7 weeks left! Oh the joys:)

47 goldie September 26, 2015 at 3:49 am

I emember these feelings. For the record I didn’t go to any birth prep classes and I’m glad! Akso don’t be disappointed if you don’t leave hospital in your skinny jeans. It took 6 weeks of breastfeeding before I felt like my old self. Don’t be fearful. Its going to be the best thing you everdo Iin your life.
goldie recently posted..Oh my days pt 2

48 Jenny September 27, 2015 at 1:31 pm

You’re going to do great! Just try to go with the flow as best your can. Rebreastfeeding it definiyely takes work and self sacrifice but with the guidance of a lactation specialist and support group (possibly at your local hospital) most problems can be solved or worked around. If you have any issues at all see a lactation specialist!!

49 Jessica September 28, 2015 at 3:42 pm

The right moms will come into your life and the wrong ones won’t be worth your time getting upset about. Everything will be new and it will all revolve in this sphere of being in and out of your control. You learn to roll with it, and you learn that a lot of things are out of your control. As long as you resolve to love your baby and do what’s best to make the most of your time with her, whatever happens will, and it won’t be the end of the world. You are enough, your instincts are right and you’ll do great. 🙂
Jessica recently posted..What I’m Reading Lately