Nursery Tour

by Meghann on September 1, 2015

The nursery is done.

It’s been a work in progress since June. That’s when we first narrowed down a theme and got to work painting. After that it sort of just became a place where we stored baby things. I really should have taken a photo of what the room looked like a month ago. There was a dresser, but the rest of the room was littered with bags and boxes full of baby gifts and diapers.

We started to really put the work in after the baby shower. Thanks to so many thoughtful gifts from our friends and family, we were able to purchase the remaining furniture, as well as fill it with all of the remaining necessities. In the end it took two solid weekends of hard work to complete the job.

navy and pink nursery

It’s officially my favorite room in the house. I’m completely obsessed with the dark navy wall and love how the bright pink and white furniture pops against it. It’s definitely a girlie room, but not over the top.

navy and pink nursery

The dresser/changing table is from Ikea. I wanted something that would grow with her so I opted for a regular dresser with a changing pad on top, versus a dedicated changing table. The overall size and storage capabilities also appealed to me. The prints are from PaperPlanePrints on Etsy.

navy and pink nursery IMG_7441

The crib and pink polka dot sheets are from Babies R Us.  The navy chevron crib skirt is from Pottery Barn Kids (thanks mom!).

navy and pink nursery

My sister made the bunting banner for our baby shower.  I loved it immediately and knew it would have a good home right above the crib.

navy and pink nursery

The lamb is new, but both the snowflake bear and the puppy came from my childhood bedroom. I found the puppy when I was home the other week and it reminded me of Maddie so I brought him back to be Baby R’s second protector.

IMG_7417

Derek spent a solid couple of months researching baby monitors before ordering the Dropcam Pro. It connects to WiFi so we can watch the stream via our cellphones. We’ve actually been using it to spy on Maddie during the day since we can watch the stream at work. I’m a little bummed we officially moved it to the baby room last week. I want to get another one so I can keep spying on Maddie.

IMG_7436

The view from the phone (mid-mess).

nestcam view

Per my sister’s recommendation, we ended up ordering the Stork Craft Hoop Glider from Amazon. It was reasonably priced, had good reviews, and is compact enough for the small space. It’s also really comfortable. My sister-in-law made the chair pillow with leftover fabric from our baby shower.

navy and pink nursery

I knew I really wanted pink polka dot curtains, but couldn’t find them anywhere. I ended up doing a custom order through Cathy’s Custom Pillows on Etsy and not only got the pink polka dots I wanted, but was also able to add a blackout layer. We also installed a blackout shade from Ikea for double the blackout.

Pink Polka Dot Curtains

All that’s left is the closet. It’s semi-organized at this point, but I’ll admit that it could be better.

IMG_7438

At least all of the clothes are sorted and hung by size.

IMG_7471

So that’s the nursery. Now all we need is Baby R to make her grand entrance and call it home!

1 Ash Diamond September 1, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Other than the fact that this should be fully Pampers (P&G employee right here) it looks wonderfully, adorable! Great job you guys!
Ash Diamond recently posted..Training Recap – Week of August 24, 2015

2 Katie @ Live Half Full September 1, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Adorable!!!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..New Mom Survival Kit

3 Sarah @ Seriously Lovely September 1, 2015 at 9:12 pm

What a cute room, I love the color combination! ( Btw, we just bought the smaller version of that Hemnes dresser from Ikea for our nursery, so I was happy to see how nice it looks in yours!)
Sarah @ Seriously Lovely recently posted..Lovely Links 09.01.2015

4 Dana Smith September 1, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Hi Meghann- Love a good nursery tour, it looks great. I just want to make a comment that as someone who has personally gone through infertility and loss, it surprises me that your blog has become a 100% pregnancy blog. I would love to see some content on other topics (similar to before the pregnancy). Maybe more about what you’re eating and how you’re staying fit. I know that its your blog and its completely your choice, so I get it, just know that constant pregnancy talk can sting for those experiencing infertility or loss, and I wonder how some of your readers feel about it, maybe address it in a future post. Of course, its totally appropriate to talk about your pregnancy/baby and you SHOULD be very excited and flaunting it. Don’t get me wrong. Also, I loved how open and honest you were about your loss which helped me get through my own, so thanks for that. Congrats on the baby. You look great!

5 jen September 1, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Love it! Yay Meghan! xoxo
jen recently posted..I love Blue Apron!

6 Jessica September 1, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I really like it. <3

And awww, my son had that snowflake bear as a lovey from the time he was 5 months old until he fell in love with my husband's old bear at around age 2. We actually had to order a new one off of Ebay because he chewed the nose off while teething and despite washings it got pretty gross. 😀 Beanie Baby toys are just so soft and great for loveys.

7 Anne September 2, 2015 at 12:40 am

It looks fantastic! I love the pink polka dot curtains! We used navy, hot pink, gray, and white for our three month old daughter’s room, too! I love navy walls

8 Annie September 2, 2015 at 5:49 am

I love the nursery, it is beautiful! We are expecting a little boy in ten short weeks and working on paint colors, I love what you chose! Do you happen to know the names of the paint colors!?

Thank you so much!

9 Jill September 2, 2015 at 7:54 am

It’s lovely! The colours are sweet, and it looks like a calm, comfortable room. Getting ready for a baby is so much fun!

10 Katie D. September 2, 2015 at 8:02 am

You might want a foot stool for the glider. I nurse better when my legs/feet are up and it is way more comfy!

I remember when my daughter’s nursery was so new and fresh. Now there are stacks of too small clothes and too big clothes around the perimeter, boxes of diapers in the corner and toys thrown from the crib to the floor 🙂 But you do have a MUCH bigger closet than me and I’m sure you are a better at keeping the house picked up (I’m the worst) 🙂

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed September 2, 2015 at 8:05 am

Yay! I bet that’s such a relief to have finished! It looks great, I love the twist of navy in there 🙂

12 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood September 2, 2015 at 8:28 am

Such a cute nursery! I love the color combos!
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Where’s the Veggies?

13 kirsten September 2, 2015 at 9:26 am

Sooo cute!!!

14 Emily September 2, 2015 at 10:30 am

I have the same glider in the kids’ room, and it is comfy! Many a night was spent falling asleep in that thing with a baby on the boob 😉

It’s so sweet you found your puppy and bear for baby! And the navy and pink theme is one of my favorites. Thanks for the tour!
Emily recently posted..Runday Funday (and a Rant)

15 Reenie September 2, 2015 at 10:44 am

Very cute ~ great job Derek & Meghann. 🙂

16 Kelly September 2, 2015 at 10:59 am

LOVE! It looks so beautiful! I love the navy/pink color combo.
Kelly recently posted..A to Z Quiz

17 Stacey September 2, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I love your color scheme! I am so not a “pink and blue” person, and yellows and greens even get boring. It looks ready for your little one!!
Stacey recently posted..Why I think Ashton Kutcher’s VMA speech was a load of horse crap

18 jill September 2, 2015 at 4:02 pm

so cute!!! two questions for an expectant mother.

1) did you help paint?
2) where did you get those draw dividers?

19 Julie September 2, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Cute! We also have our baby shower banner above the crib.

We didn’t know the sex of our child, so we just went with the original color of the room (blue, and I had a boy… coincidence). I don’t have enough closet space for hanging so we jam everything in drawers, which is the easier option for me!

One thing that surprised me the most was how little time we actually spend in the nursery. We co-slept (pack n play) for the first 5 months, so it’s pretty much just where I read to him before bed and then do night feedings (which are somewhat quick nowadays and I sit on the floor next to the crib). In the morning, he will sometimes play in there for 10-20 minutes, but that’s the extent of everything outside of sleep. Diaper changes occur in our bedroom and most feeding/playing happens in the living room. For this reason, I am really glad I did not go all out for the nursery since it’s essentially just a place where his crib is and where we store a lot of this things. I’m sure he will want something else done with the room someday!
Julie recently posted..Excited About September

20 Eve September 2, 2015 at 5:46 pm

So smart of you to focus on the blackout aspect of the nursery. My son is almost 10 months old and it took until about 8 months to get the 3 layers of blackout (yes, 3!) to make the room cavelike during the day. If it means he sleeps better I’m willing to do anything! So many nursery curtains are cute but provide no darkness and it comes back to bite you!

21 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) September 2, 2015 at 10:37 pm

I really love how this room came together! Like you said, it’s girly but not over the top. Great job! So excited for you and Derek!
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..Weekly training: Aug 24 – 30 2015

22 [email protected] September 5, 2015 at 5:28 am

I love it!!!
[email protected] recently posted..Mini Posting Break

23 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More September 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm

It’s lovely! I really like the pop of blue on your focus wall. Your banner is perfect there!
Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More recently posted..She’s a Senior!

24 Billie September 5, 2015 at 7:37 pm