Pregnancy: 34 Weeks

by Meghann on August 30, 2015

34 weeks! Baby girl is now the size of a butternut squash!

34 weeks

Apparently I’m at that stage where I look like I’m about to pop. I’ve been receiving an overwhelming amount of comments lately along the lines of how large I appear and how I must be ready to go any day now. Nope. Still have 6 more weeks. But thank you for the sweet words of encouragement. I can only imagine how large I’ll look in a few short weeks!

20150827_103436

I had my 34 weeks check-up on Thursday. Everything still looks good. Blood pressure is still in check, baby’s heart rate is still strong, and the belly is measuring right on track. I asked about my swollen feet and hands (I’ve also been experiencing some minor carpel tunnel in my fingers) and the doctor informed me that it’s completely normal and more women experience swelling than don’t. She did recommend support hose and wearing splints at night to help with the hands. At this point I’ll give anything a try.

I took the bump to the beach on Saturday and enjoyed a couple of blissful hours on the sand and in the water.

Bikini Bump

I know a lot of women complain about being pregnant in the horrible heat of the summer, but there’s something to be said for being pregnant at the beach. There’s nothing more refreshing than floating in the water while 8 months pregnant. It feels amazing.

Also, speaking of the heat, I’ve been joking lately that I have a 30 pound heater attached to me at all times. While everyone in my office has been freezing thanks to the over indulgent use of AC, I’ve been sweating in my tank tops and maxi skirts at my desk. I’ve also been fighting with the husband over the AC every night. We have a deal that I can turn it down before I go to sleep, but it stays up until then. Even after turning it down at night, I’ve still been sleeping cover-less while the husband is wrapped up in double blankets. I think being so warm at night has also been effecting my sleep. When I traveled for work last month my co-worker and I turned the AC in our room as low as it would go and I slept like a baby for the first time in weeks. I’m so looking forward to winter!

Derek and I took our maternity photos this morning. I purchased a package from a local photographer a couple of months ago that includes maternity photos, newborn, 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, and one year photos. Yep, we’re going to have a LOT of photos of this kid. I was originally looking for a smaller package, but it was actually cheaper to go the every-three-months route. We should have our first set of proofs back in a few days. I can’t wait to share them!

I think that’s it for this week. I still owe you a full photo tour of the nursery (we’re just working on the finishing touches) and hopefully the maternity photos sometime this week. Other than that, it’s just a waiting game now.

1 Allison August 30, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I feel your pain, I had THE WORST carpal tunnel during my last pregnancy! As in, by 41 weeks (yes, I went that long!), my hands were so numb I didn’t even have the dexterity to put my hair in a ponytail or tie my shoes. Wrist splints did help some of my discomfort, as did sleeping with my hands propped up on pillows to slightly elevate them. Hope it doesn’t get this bad for you!! Just curious, has the baby turned head down? I believe you mentioned in an earlier post that she was still breech and I was wondering!

2 Meghann August 31, 2015 at 7:33 am

I have another ultrasound at my 36 week appointment. We won’t know if she’s still breech until then. However, from everything I’ve read online, I’m pretty sure it’s still her head that’s been making its home in my left ribcage.

3 Amanda August 30, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Hi Meghann! I’m a longtime reader of the lurking sort who hasn’t ever commented before, but your temperature-war part of the post here really cracked me up. I had three sons in 2000-2004 and each one did crazy things to my body temp. The first one was through the summer (born in October) in Houston. Yikes. The second was born at the end of July, but in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it was the hottest summer on record, hitting over 100 most days, and we lived in an old farm house with no a/c. We spent a lot of nights on the couch at my in-laws’ place! Then my third one, also in Wisconsin, was born in March, which means I got to spend the hot months of pregnancy in the winter. While our house was often around 65 degrees at night, I slept with no blankets and was perfectly comfortable. Ha!

Anyway, I’ve loved following along with you, and thought I’d finally say hi! 🙂

Amanda
Amanda recently posted..Sunday Coffee – Goal Check-In

4 Janelle August 30, 2015 at 10:26 pm

You look fabulous. Truly. I’m at 37 weeks, and I’m definitely getting a lot of comments (and have been for awhile) about how I look like I’m going to “pop” at anytime (not a fan of that phrase). I feel like I’ve finally gotten used to being so big that it doesn’t seem weird to me until I see a picture of myself… and then I realize how big I really am! Still, why do people feel the need to comment at all? It’s not like it’s a new thing that pregnant women grow large bellies.
Janelle recently posted..motherhood begins… and so does the anxiety

5 Mary August 30, 2015 at 10:26 pm

No pregnancy here (PHEW!) but I can completely relate with the heat!! My boyfriend will be all wrapped up in blankets bc I need the AC loooooow to be able to sleep! I love warmth, I hate winter, but man I need it cold to sleep.
Mary recently posted..Sam Cooke pandora station.

6 Erica [email protected]} August 30, 2015 at 11:47 pm

I also started getting the ‘any day now!’ comments around 34 weeks. I imagined getting HUGE by the time I hit 40 weeks, but I swear my belly hasn’t changed much from 36 to 39 weeks now.
I’m also pregnant, in the South, and the heat hasn’t been too bad. Lots of pool time has helped!
Erica [email protected]} recently posted..My Role as an Animal Rescue Advocate

7 Nicole August 31, 2015 at 12:09 am

At 36.5 weeks pregnant and NO A/C, I am highly jealous of your A/C! I’m thankful to not have “popped” yet so I can go to work in the air conditioning every day! Glad that baby isn’t supposed to arrive until it has cooled down (fingers crossed!) otherwise i’d be at Home Depot on the way home from the hospital to pick up a portable A/C unit!
Nicole recently posted..Incorporating Yoga Into Prenatal Fitness With Wildfire Life

8 Anne August 31, 2015 at 12:25 am

Ugh! I also had swelling and carpal tunnel. I was like “Who knew this was a pregnancy side effect!?!” I wore the splints at night and they helped a lot. I also wore them the first month postpartum. Even now, three months later, I still get stuff wrists if I sleep wrong.

9 goldie August 31, 2015 at 4:46 am

Yup. Had carpal tunnel. It got so bad sleeping was awful. Im a month out of pregnancy snd my finger tips still have no sensation 🙁 x
goldie recently posted..A sweet farewell… just for now…

10 Jennifer August 31, 2015 at 5:02 am

You look great! I was pregnant in the summer too (due date was 8/29, baby didn’t come ’til 9/9…2 weeks late!!) and I needed the AC sooooo low! Funny story…when I came home from the hospital with baby the first thing I did was complain how chilly it was in the house and my hubby was like “welcome to my world” lol!. He was so excited when my temp gauge went back to normal!

As far as the photos…it may seems like a lot now, but you will look back and be glad you documented those early months. My “babies” are almost 10 and 7 years old now, and I cherish those photos of their first year.

11 Emily August 31, 2015 at 7:52 am

You look AMAZING for 34 weeks! I remember getting to that point and being SO ready and anxious for baby to arrive. Your preggo bikini bod is fantastic! Good to hear that everything is going well (minus the swelling), but it’s all worth it in the end! I was lucky enough to not experience the “always hot” issue, but then again, I had a primarily winter pregnancy.

I hope everything continues to be smooth sailing. Love following your journey!
Emily recently posted..20 Of My Biggest Pet Peeves

12 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood August 31, 2015 at 7:56 am

I was pretty lucky that I was pregnant through winter and gave birth end of May so we missed out on the hot days of summer – it was pretty perfect, especially since I didn’t have to worry about cold, icy winters with a newborn (we’re in NJ, and my house had perpetual snow for the entire winter last year…)

13 Emily August 31, 2015 at 9:33 am

You do look really cute, and I hope you get some good rest in the next few weeks before baby comes.
Emily recently posted..Recovery is a Mental Battle.

14 Pam August 31, 2015 at 10:22 am

I think you look great and not ready to pop just yet!
If your baby is breech, I saw mention in other comments, there are chiropractors that are trained in the Webster method that can help. I think getting a chiropractic adjustment is important during pregnancy anyway to make more room by opening your hips and pelvis to get ready for birth.
Info on Webster technique: http://icpa4kids.com/about/webster_technique.htm
Find a chiro… http://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/
Pam recently posted..What Your Aching Joints and Digestive Discomfort May Have in Common

15 Jess August 31, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I had a baby earlier this summer and I remember being super pregnant and super hot all the time. The a/c was broken at my job I was miserable.

However once you have your baby it pretty much goes back to normal

16 Kelly August 31, 2015 at 2:21 pm

That photo package sounds great! I’m thinking about doing professional family photo for the first time when my second baby arrives in December. I can’t imagine how we’ll get a decent photo of the whole family together otherwise considering my wiggly toddler.
Kelly recently posted..The last weekend in August

17 Katie @ Live Half Full August 31, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I’m 33 weeks today and have been getting SO many of those comments the past week or so. I can’t imagine how much bigger I’m going to get- I’m already huge!!!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..August Recap and September Goals

18 Stacey August 31, 2015 at 4:33 pm

I think you look fantastic!! Rock that bump, mama!
Stacey recently posted..Why I think Ashton Kutcher’s VMA speech was a load of horse crap

19 Jesica @rUnladylike August 31, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Looking good mama! You are rocking that bikini!!! Love it! Thinking about you as you near the home stretch. xoxo
Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..Running and Relationships

20 Linda @ The Fitty September 1, 2015 at 12:17 am

Is being pregnant supposed to up your body temperature? I was not aware of that.
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..The Micronutrient Miracle Review

21 Mia September 4, 2015 at 2:28 am

Carpal tunnel and swelling has started for me also. Night are sleepless! Will pray for you.