Runderwear

by Meghann on August 20, 2015

In the last 6+ years (holy crap, it will be 7 years next month!!) of blogging, I’ve received hundreds of emails with question ranging anywhere from how a certain food is prepared, to where I purchased a certain item, to how I stay so awesome (okay, I made that one up). BUT the most questions I receive are of the, ahem, personal matter; particularly in reference to running. Those questions mainly focus on: tummy issues while running, periods while running, sports bra recommendations, and the great underwear while running question. Yes, underwear. Should you wear it? Not wear it? It’s a topic of hot debate.

When I first started running many years ago I knew absolutely nothing. I did not have any running friends and the internet blogging boom hadn’t exactly hit yet. I’ve wrote a post about my evolution of running clothes before (see here), but let’s just say I ran in a lot of cotton – including cotton underwear.

DSCN0367.jpg

Over time I learned that cotton wasn’t exactly the best material to run in. It isn’t breathable, it isn’t sweat wicking, and it can cause a lot of chafing. Eventually I started trading out my cotton tops and bottoms for more breathable, dry-wicking fabric, but it took me longer to switch out the underwear game. For some reason it didn’t click right away that if you wouldn’t wear cotton anywhere else while running, why the heck would you wear it for your most sensitive areas?

IMG_5086.jpg

It took a lot of education and some trial-and-error to finally convince myself that underwear really isn’t needed for the majority running shorts. You see, they have nifty built-in liners that act as underwear while you run. It’s breathable, it’s comfortable, and it doesn’t feel like you’re going commando – it feels like you’re wearing underwear. Once I made the switch, I never looked back. Good-bye sticky underwear – hello, running comfort!

P9280015.jpg

Now, running shorts with built-in underwear are awesome, but do you know what isn’t awesome? Capris, running tights, and running booty shorts without underwear. Let’s just say that all of the seams without a barrier is not a good situation – especially on long runs. It only took a couple of runs of going commando in capris to realize that, while they were made to be worn without underwear, it just wasn’t working for me. Ouch. Big time. No one likes that kind of chafing.

So for cases when underwear is a necessity while running, they do make seamless, breathable options that are specifically designed to protect your lady parts during long runs. Like the Out of Sight and Workout line from Moving Comfort.

20150819_182251

I can’t even begin to tell you what a difference this underwear makes. The Moving Comfort underwear features technical wicking fabric, free-cut leg openings, sew-free seams, and antimicrobial finish. It’s really night and day between my usual cotton briefs and these babies, which essentially don’t even feel like they’re there.

So in the great debate of underwear while running, I’m down the middle. I say it’s not needed for any running shorts with a built-in liner. However, it’s a requirement (for me!) for capris, running tights, or any spandex-type running shorts. I would recommend staying away from cotton in these situations, and instead check out underwear that is particularly designed for runners. Moving Comfort is just one example in a list of many – check out your local running store for comfortable alternatives.

Do you go commando while running?

I am a Brooks Blog Ambassador and was sent the Moving Comfort products for free. As always, all opinions are my own.

1 Linda @ The Fitty August 21, 2015 at 7:54 am

I wear regular underwear!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Difference Types Of Exercise and My Experience With Them

2 Kate August 21, 2015 at 8:18 am

Oh man, I HATE that Moving Comfort underwear! It never stays in places, bunches, and the weird seam fabric gave me a rash/chafing. If you want a really good technical indie, Lululemon is not bad, but I have always had the best luck with the plain Hanes microfiber. Got me through 5 marathons! Much less expensive too!

3 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed August 21, 2015 at 9:01 am

I have 2 pairs of shorts with the built in liner and it took me a little while to convince myself that it was enough. But once I ditched the underwear underneath I realized just how comfy it was! I also used to do CF in regular t-shirts and now I’ve moved to all sweat wicking tanks! It makes such a big difference, I’ll never go back.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Weekly Workouts + I Officially Scheduled My First PT Session!

4 Caitlin August 21, 2015 at 9:03 am

I’ve never understood how people can wear underwear while running. I don’t wear anything beneath running shorts and when I buy tights/capris I check the seams and make sure nothing will rub. Regarding the moving comfort undies- I work in speciality running and my coworkers LOVE those things! I know numerous women who wear them daily, not just while running.

5 Dietitian Jess August 21, 2015 at 9:30 am

Love going commando as much as possible, not just limited to running 😉
Dietitian Jess recently posted..Recipe Redux: Back to the Dinner Table

6 Robyn @ Robyn's Livin' Life August 21, 2015 at 11:42 am

I wear regular underwear:) doesn’t seem to bother me! I get most of my thigh chafing in the summer when I haven’t shaved recently and am wearing shorts. I should probably get tighter shorts!

7 Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks August 21, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Commando over here! High quality spandex shorts/pants will always have a gusseted crotch (yep, I said crotch) that is meant for you to not need underwear. I can wear cheap tops, but I always splurge a little more on bottoms for this very reason.
Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks recently posted..Kayla: Week 4

8 Meghann August 23, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I’ve had problems with really high end spandex (ahem – Lululemon and even my beloved Brooks). I even tried some seamless capris and didn’t have any luck. I don’t know what it is with the gusseted crotch, but it unfortunately doesn’t work for me.

9 Lauren G August 21, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I wear the the moving comfort undies, although I only have 2 pairs, so don’t always have the chance to wear them. Definitely don’t think I am brave enough to go commando!
Lauren G recently posted..Meet Marmite

10 Stacey August 22, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I prefer shorts with liners, but often race in booty shorts and my ginormous, buttcheek covering undies. No, they aren’t even undies. These things are truly UNDERPANTS. They’re about as unsexy as they come, but they don’t feel like I’m going to cough them up after a marathon, like I do with all my other undies after they migrate deeply into my a$$ cravasse.
Stacey recently posted..It’s almost Fall, which means it’s almost Winter, which means Spring comes next, which is MAPLE SYRUP SEASON!!!

11 Krys August 23, 2015 at 12:18 am

Yup, commando runner. I just can’t seem to find anything that fits comfortably otherwise.
Krys recently posted..Weekly Round Up (#32)

12 Ellie August 25, 2015 at 1:22 pm

This Made me laugh SO hard! NO – NEVER. Extra lines – yuck- not even with running tights. I started running at 12 and I do remember my Mom explaining to me that it wasn’t needed. But since then- it’s time to just be free and I’m all about less laundry.

I am totally obsessed with the shorts that have the Yoga pant band top (dreaming of some lululemon ones)