Running Themed Baby Shower

by Meghann on August 18, 2015

We had a big weekend of celebrating.

On Saturday Owen turned 1! My sister threw an adorable monster themed party with plenty of googly eyes and lots of fun.

IMG_7044 IMG_7036 IMG_7037 IMG_7040 IMG_7050

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this kid. Being Owen’s aunt has been the greatest gift I’ve ever received. His smile lights up every room and his hugs and snuggles are simply the best. It’s been a blast watching him develop and shine over the last year, and I can’t wait to continue to watch how he grows.

IMG_7081 IMG_7090

On Sunday my sister and sister-in-law threw Derek and I a running themed baby shower, complete with all of the running necessities needed for baby’s big race.

11896390_10106571905490563_3575912489612693197_o

There was the course map.

IMG_7112

The water stop.

IMG_7152 IMG_7151

A post-race photo booth.

IMG_7106IMG_7126

IMG_7134

A place to create a running headband for baby girl.

IMG_7114 IMG_7144 IMG_7142

Finisher medals.

IMG_7175

And, of course, the post-race eats.

IMG_7111 IMG_7137

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast (duh!) and that’s exactly what was served. There was homemade quiche, breakfast potatoes, fruit salad, bacon, sausage, monkey bread, cinnamon rolls, and my favorite cookies from my favorite hometown bakery (the same cookies we had at our wedding!).

IMG_7141

I was seriously blown away by all of the creativity and little details that Kelly and Ashley put into the shower. They even had Gatorade vases for the center pieces!

IMG_7153

IMG_7173

For games, we played a question-and-answer style game that put Derek and I against each other on our parenting strategies. We had questions like “At what age will Baby R be allowed to date?” and “Who will change the most night time diapers?”

IMG_7223

There was also a beer tasting game (as opposed to the traditional baby food tasting game), where everyone had to guess what the beer was. I was really sad not to play this game as this one sounds about 10 times more fun than trying baby food.

IMG_7242

IMG_7246

IMG_7252

Baby girl was showered with lots of loves and generous gifts. We have almost everything we need for her big arrival (minus another trip or two to Babies R Us & Ikea).

IMG_7160

IMG_7164

IMG_7372

Now the real fun comes in the next couple of weeks when we start putting everything away. We were waiting until after the Baby Shower to put all the finishing touches on the nursery. It’s crunch time!

IMG_7380

We owe a big thanks to my sister and sister-in-law for doing an incredible job with the shower. Also, to all of our friends and family who made our day so special. Baby girl is already so loved and we can’t wait to meet her in a few weeks!

I also have to give a special shout out to Pink Blush Maternity for my fabulous baby shower dress.

IMG_7118

I received so many compliments on the maternity dress at the party. It was also so comfortable and perfect for the occasion. It’s hard to find maternity clothes that are both cute and flattering and everything I’ve received from them fits the bill. I have another couple of Pink Blush’s dresses that I plan to wear for our maternity photos in a couple of weeks. I can’t wait!

1 Courtney! August 18, 2015 at 10:41 am

That dress really is beautiful! You look great!
What a fun shower! I also really like the beer tasting 🙂 What a fun way to incorporate the guys (and the girls, too)!
Courtney! recently posted..Catching Up…

2 Danielle August 18, 2015 at 10:48 am

Such a cute shower! Seems like they really thought of everything down to the tiniest details! Props to Kelly for throwing 2 parties in one weekend – wow!

3 Dietitian Jess August 18, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Love the shower theme- the beer tasting game was genius. Your nephew is adorable- it’ll be so nice for you and your sister to see your little ones run around together <3
Dietitian Jess recently posted..The hardest post I’ve ever had to write…

4 EB @ Running on E August 18, 2015 at 12:32 pm

That is awesome. What a perfect idea for a shower for you! You are glowing!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Snakebite Training Recap Week #14

5 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub August 18, 2015 at 1:06 pm

What a unique and fun shower idea!
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..Top 10 places I want to travel

6 Erin M. August 18, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I LOVE that dress! It looks fantastic on you!

7 Ash Diamond August 18, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I love this theme and they both did SUCH a great job with it! I especially love the fun of the beer tasting – may have to build that into Meg’s bridal shower!
Ash Diamond recently posted..We Need A Weekend to Recover from Our Weekend

8 Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks August 18, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I’ve never seen a running themed shower before – what a great idea! Did you notice you actually wrote “bridal shower?” You need to get used to talking about your BABY now – how fun! : D
Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks recently posted..Kayla: Week 4

9 Meghann August 18, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Whoops! You’re right! Thanks for the catch, I just fixed it.

10 Nicole August 18, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Both parties are adorable! I love the running themed shower – so creative! We did a post wedding 5k the day after our wedding instead of a brunch – sometimes you just have to incorporate run love in non traditional ways!
Nicole recently posted..Baby Shower Love

11 Mary August 19, 2015 at 3:23 am

I absolutely love everything about this! Such detail! The medals are amazing. I love the parenting strategies game as well. It’s really nice to see the guys getting involved too. The only baby showers I’ve been to have involved just the lady and her girl friends, so it is nice that Derek was made to feel part of it also.
Not long now…!
Mary recently posted..A map-reading error

12 Nikki August 19, 2015 at 7:44 am

What’s your exact due date? Was your sis early or late?

13 Meghann August 19, 2015 at 10:05 am

I’m due October 7th. My sister was a few days late, and my twin brother and I were a full week late when my mom was pregnant with us. However, it’s common for women with bircornate uteruses to deliver early so who knows when baby girl will make her grand entrance!

14 Kelly August 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I love the idea of a running themed baby shower – So creative! I need to check out Pink Blush Maternity. I’m pregnant as well and having trouble finding decent maternity clothes.
Kelly recently posted..Me x4 – Quiz

15 Nicole August 19, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Loved the “running” headband idea, so cute! And loved your dress, you looked glowing!!

16 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner August 19, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect when you mentioned a “running-themed baby shower,” but they pulled it off brilliantly! What a fun weekend, and you do look fabulous in that dress.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

17 Linda @ the fitty August 20, 2015 at 8:42 am

Looks like so much fun I wish I could’ve been there.

18 Sara August 25, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I am throwing my sister’s shower, and really like the idea of the parenting style game. Did your sister and sister-in law come up with the questions themselves? Or did they find a list online? Is there any way you would be willing to share more of the questions? Thank you so much for your help!