Pregnancy: 29 Weeks

by Meghann on July 26, 2015

Welcome to 29 weeks, Baby R! You are now the size of a butternut squash.

29 weeks

The third trimester hit me like a ton of bricks this week. I went from feeling amazing (still able to run, no problems sleeping, no discomfort, etc.) to feeling, well, pregnant. Very pregnant.

If I’m being honest, my runs are slowly going downhill. I’ve been experiencing some side stitches recently that usually lead to more of a long walk than a run. I ordered a maternity belt last week, which should be here tomorrow. I’ll report back once I’ve put it to the test.

My sleeping has also been terrible. I’m telling you, I hit the third trimester and “BAM” no more sleep. I’ve been waking up multiple times throughout the night to use the restroom, and once I’m up, it’s hard to get back into a comfortable position to fall back to sleep. I think my body is starting to rebel against sleeping on my left side. I now have a fortress of pillows that I sleep with, but it’s getting harder to harder to find a comfortable position.

I think baby girl turned on Friday. At least, I think that’s what happened. I don’t know how else to describe it, except it felt like she had somehow flipped her body into the right side of my uterus, got stuck, and was pissed. I’ve never felt so many pokes and jabs at once. It was the most uncomfortable I’d been all pregnancy. I went straight home from work that afternoon and spent the rest of the evening on the couch. Luckily she seemed to figure everything out by the morning and I woke up feeling 100% again.

Due to the discomfort on Friday, I booked myself a prenatal massage on Saturday. Best. Idea. Ever. Seriously. If you’re in the Tampa area, I can not recommend Glow Day Spa enough. It was the best massage I’ve had in a while. They had one of those maternity pillows that allows you to lay on your stomach for the massage. I hadn’t laid on my stomach in months and almost cried tears of joy when I first laid down because I was so comfortable. I think baby girl enjoyed it as well, she was squirming in delight the entire time. Next time I’m opting for the full 90 minute session – go big or go home.

On Sunday my friend Jess (who is due 3 weeks after me!) and I attended the Prego Expo in Tampa.

PregoExpoBooth

I’m so thankful to have Jess. We’re both clueless moms-to-be who are learning as we go along. It’s great to have someone to bounce ideas off, as well as play the “have you done this, yet?” game. I think we balance each other out on not feeling too overwhelmed.

The expo was fun. We learned a lot about different services in the Tampa area and I was happy to have a chance to meet with the pediatric group I’ve been researching. They offer prenatal consultations, which I need to sign Derek and I up for. It will be nice to have one more thing checked on the baby to-do list.

I’m traveling to New York for work next week. Eekk. This is going to be interesting…

1 Jackie K July 26, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Good luck with the maternity belt. I ordered one in my first pregnancy to help with working out. I ended up HATING it (and preferring to go without), but hopefully it’ll work for you. 🙂

2 Jessica July 26, 2015 at 11:39 pm

I stopped running at about 28 weeks with each pregnancy and don’t regret it! Its exhausting having a newborn and runnign will always be there for you after she is born. Now is such a great time to lay around and do nothing. And take naps. And etc. 🙂 Are you planning on working right up until the baby is born?

3 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood July 27, 2015 at 9:34 am

I definitely recommend going to a pediatric group rather than just one pediatrician! I was clueless as to what to do/where to go but my OBGYN recommended the group we went to and I am so thankful! They have 7 offices, are open on the weekend, and I love all the doctors.
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted..Best of the Weekend: Balloons and the Wienermobile

4 Melissa July 27, 2015 at 9:44 am

Sounds like an interesting expo and it’s definitely good to have a friend there for support and who is able to relate!
Melissa recently posted..Is it or Isn’t it?

5 Kathryn July 27, 2015 at 9:52 am

the side stitches might be round ligament pain! i would talk to your doctor about it!

6 Erika July 27, 2015 at 10:12 am

Here’s my $.02 on the running during pregnancy. I ran to the bitter end. Through the cold winters, trotting along at a snail’s pace, and feeling not so great about 90% of the time. Then, the baby was born, and I didn’t run another step for a year. I was way too tired, like, to-the-bone sleep deprived to even think about squeezing in exercise. The thought of waking up to run, on top of nursing, middle of the night wake-ups, working, etc., etc., etc was just crazy-town. After one year, I went back to doing all the things I loved like running, yoga, biking. I was back to feeling like my (new) self after a year.

SO, in hindsight, running though pregnancy “just to do it” was kind of a waste. In the beginning, it felt nice, and I enjoyed running along and thinking about my little baby-to-be and all the adventures we were going to have. But, when it was uncomfortable and a slog-fest, I should have just thrown in the towel. Or went for walks instead. There was truly no point to it. Whatever “fitness” I maintained by running during those 40 weeks was lost in the following 52.

7 melissa @fitnessnycblog July 27, 2015 at 11:00 am

You’ll be in NY? Yay! If you have free time to meet up, let me know!

8 KatyBugChild July 27, 2015 at 3:38 pm

So thankful for the massage tip — I’ve been wanting to get one but I had no idea where to look!
KatyBugChild recently posted..Dear BabyBug 2.0 (25 Weeks)

9 Mary July 28, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Where in NY are you headed?! I’ll be home in Syracuse August 4th! 🙂

10 Rachel July 28, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Ugh. I remember the bad sleeping. I PROMISE it gets better. Once she’s here, yeah, you’ll be waking up for feedings, but you’ll be so much more comfortable. And sleep will be easier. YOU’LL BE GREAT!

11 Nicole July 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I really starting slowing on the running around where you are as well. The belly band definitely helps!

A massage on my tummy sounds amazing! I think I feel my best during upward dog in yoga -since it’s the closest I’ve been to being on my stomach in several months!
Nicole recently posted..Bumpdate Weeks 29-31

12 Emily July 28, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I always have thought that it would be hard to run while pregnant so my kudos go out to the mamas who do. And I really hope you start sleeping better in time for baby.

13 Meghan F. July 30, 2015 at 10:12 pm

You may want to consider investing in a Snoogle body pillow if you don’t already have one. It’s designed for pregnancy and is what saved me many nights. Mic easier to maneuver then a mountain of pillowes.