Pregnancy: 28 Weeks

by Meghann on July 19, 2015

Hello, third trimester! Baby R is now the size of an eggplant.

28 weeks

I can’t believe it – we’re in the homestretch. The last trimester, baby! Only 12 more weeks (give or take) until we meet our little girl. So close, yet it still feels so far. I heard the third trimester is the fastest, right? Ha! <- sarcasm

Baby girl and I had a big doctor’s appointment this week. On Thursday I had the infamous glucose test, complete with a super sweet lime sugar drink.

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 8.37.23 PM

A couple of things I wasn’t expecting with the test:

1. I didn’t have to fast. I called my doctor twice to confirm and she told me not to eat a cupcake for breakfast or anything, but a couple of eggs and toast would be fine. I was forever thankful for that because I do not do well with fasting. My body is programmed to eat when I get up and I definitely become hangry if I don’t. Even after eating the two eggs and toast before hand, I still felt shaky while taking the test. I can’t imagine what would have happened if I didn’t have anything to eat at all.
  2. I didn’t have to drink the full bottle. The nurse gave me a small cup (less than half of the bottle) and told me that was all I needed. I had the lime flavor, which tasted like a melted green ice pop. It’s not something I would want to drink everyday, but it wasn’t terrible either.

The longer-than-normal appointment actually flew by since I was able to have my ultrasound and regular doctor appointment while I waited the hour to draw blood.

I will have regular ultrasounds for the remainder of my pregnancy to check for growth and position. Basically, since the baby has somewhat restricted space due to my bicornate uterus, they want to keep an eye on her. I don’t mind the extra ultrasounds. It gives me an excuse to check-in on my baby girl, and it also give me a little piece of mind knowing everything is all good in there.

I mean, look at that face!

US 28 wks

Baby girl is still in the exact same position she was in at 20 weeks – transverse with her head at my right hip and butt/ legs at my left hip. Apparently she’s really comfortable there. There’s still a chance she can flip and go head down, but transverse babies are extremely common with bicornate uteruses and my doctor wants to continue to keep an eye on it. I’m remaining optimistic and still crossing my fingers she’ll turn.

Everything else looked good. She’s still measuring where she should be (45th percentile) and the heart rate is a beautiful 144. Grow baby, grow!

They took my blood at the end and I was told “no news is good news.” So if I haven’t heard from them by the middle of next week, I’ll assume I passed. Otherwise I’ll have to take a 3 hour glucose test next (ekk).

On Friday night we had baby’s first bar crawl.

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 8.47.03 PM

It was a bar golf themed going away party for my friend Courtney. Unfortunately I didn’t survive all 9 holes, but I did make it to 3. I received a few stares while bar hopping, but I was having too much fun to care. Also, my husband appreciated having the automatic DD.

On Saturday, I finally got to hang out with my cousin’s wife, Candice, who is about 4 weeks ahead of me and expecting twins!

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 8.53.01 PM

Candice is 32 weeks and already measuring full term! Both of her boys are currently weighing in at about 4.5 lbs each. She’s in really good spirits and looks great. It was fun to compare bumps and share pregnancy stories.

That’s it for this week.

28 weeks down. –  12 more to go!

1 jen July 19, 2015 at 9:39 pm

yay meghan! so good to see you smiling and to hear baby girl is growing perfectly. xo <3
jen recently posted..The Benefits of AMRAP Workouts + This Week’s Workouts

2 Mrs. Swan July 19, 2015 at 10:22 pm

That is so bizarre that your test wasn’t fasting. I want your DR!! Ok not really, Tampa is two hours from here. LOL I always fail the 1 hour and have to do the 3 hour. Then I fail one out of four pricks so they tell me I am pre-diabetic and that is that.

3 Katie @ Live Half Full July 19, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Congrats on making it to the 3rd trimester! I’m glad the glucose test wasn’t that bad. I have mine next week!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Meals & Workouts 7/19-7/25

4 Abby July 19, 2015 at 11:30 pm

woo hoo for the third trimester! It will both fly by and drag on. I’m not familiar with your uterus thing, but has anyone mentioned Spinning Babies to you? Google their website. All my midwives and basically everyone I know in the birthing community speak really highly of it to get babies into the best possible position for birth. It at least won’t hurt anything!

5 Nikki July 20, 2015 at 8:06 am

I was born in July. My mom had told me for months I was the wrong way and that May I flipped the correct way and when I flipped, she totally felt it. There’s certainly still a chance for you but the bigger she gets, the greater chance you will feel it when it happens I’ve been told.

6 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood July 20, 2015 at 8:45 am

My son was transverce for what felt like for.ev.er. but he did eventually flip to head down. Either way, as long as she comes out safe and healthy, none of it matters!

7 Elizabeth Beil July 20, 2015 at 8:58 am

You look so great! We have friends who are expecting twins! So different I feel then just 1 for many reasons! ha!

8 Lisa Valinsky July 20, 2015 at 9:33 am

Yay! I love following you – I’m at 27 weeks today, so we’re right around the same time. And I had my glucose test on Thursday too! I read something that said for the first test you don’t need to fast, but if you don’t pass and need the next test, then you have to fast.

Here’s to a healthy pregnancy and third trimester, lady! 🙂
Lisa Valinsky recently posted..second trimester

9 Adie July 20, 2015 at 9:39 am

I was surprised about the fasting for the glucose test, too! I go in this Thursday. I asked at my last appointment, and they actually recommended eating something beforehand because otherwise the drink could make me queasy. I would love to not have to drink the whole bottle!! So much sugar intimidates me. Give me all the salty foods!

Glad to hear baby’s measuring well! Always nice to get those reassurances 🙂

10 Kathryn July 20, 2015 at 9:51 am

I definitely had to fast for my glucose test – lucky you! I think that your baby also looks so much like you – she has your nose! What would the baby staying transverse mean for your delivery – would you have to have a c-section? And your cousin’s wife looks so amazing for twins! Glad you both are staying happy and healthy!

11 Liz July 20, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I bet they only had you drink half of the drink because it was a drink with 100mg of glucose (which is normally used for the 3 hour test). For the 1 hour test, usually the drink only has 50mg of glucose, so they probably just used the 100 one and had you drink half. At least I think that’s what I remember from mine. Hopefully you pass with flying colors! My one hour was slightly elevated but the three-hour came back fine. That three-hour one was a beast, though, blech!

Congrats on the beginning of your 3rd tri! I actually thought 3rd tri went by really fast until the very end. My girl came a week after her due date and I swear that week took years to go by!

12 Emily July 20, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Yay you pregnant ladies are really cute! 🙂 <3 it. :)))
Emily recently posted..Learning to Listen to My Body

13 Stacey July 21, 2015 at 8:46 am

Happy third trimester!! Could they have picked a more disgusting sounding name for that drink? It sounds like Windex.
Stacey recently posted..What’s so great about Boston, anyway?

14 nicole July 21, 2015 at 10:51 am

Your so lucky you didn’t have to fast! My OB is in Brandon, FL and they made me fast. I HATED IT. I am use to getting up and having breakfast so that was hard. I am not hypoglycemic but my blood sugar tends to hang out on the low end. So when I can’t eat I get shaky and hangry too.

Because I am 35 (and considered “old”) I was told I have to do my glucose test twice. I had to do it yesterday and I am only 12 weeks along. Then, I get the torture of doing it again at the normal mark of 28-ish weeks. Sucks to be old huh? I ended drinking the orange and it really wasn’t that bad. Gosh sometimes I hate the internet. They make things worse than what they seem. Like all of the horror stories I read of women taking the glucose test. The orange tested like watered down sunkist. My OB was nice enough to serve it cold and give me a small cup of ice.

15 Jamie July 21, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I have been following you blog for years and I sort of fell off the blog reading wagon. I remembered awhile back that you had suffered a miscarriage. You popped into my head today for whatever reason, so I looked up your blog and saw your “28 Weeks” post… my heart is happy for you, congrats and many prayers for a happy healthy remainder of your pregnancy, delivery and many yeas of happiness with your new bundle of joy! <3