Pregnancy: 27 Weeks

by Meghann on July 12, 2015

Almost to the final stretch! We’re in the last week of the second trimester and Baby R is the size of a head of cauliflower.

27 weeks

I’m still feeling good – *knock on wood* – and still loving staying active.

We had a team outing on Friday and I took Baby R for her first spin on a paddle board.

So much fun! My legs felt like jello after the 30 minute trip, but it was totally worth it. I’d love to go out again in the near future. It really was the perfect workout for this pregnant chick.

Also, want to impress your co-workers? Be the first to jump on a paddle board at 27 weeks pregnant. I felt badass.

I met my friend Mary for a run at Bayshore this morning.

20150712_071129

Unfortunately, due to Bayshore’s lack of restroom facilities, it turned more into a really long walk. The need-to-go feeling is definitely getting worse. I couldn’t even go a mile without needing to stop. Next time we’ll need to plan our run near multiple public restroom facilities.

Per my sister’s suggestion, I ordered some Brah Extenders on Amazon this week to help with my none-of-my-bras-fit situation.

Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 8.20.13 PM

My sister is a GENIUS! I had purchased some larger bras at the beginning of the second trimester, which sadly no longer fit. My sister suggested the bra extenders to get some extra life out of them. I ordered them on Monday, they arrived on Wednesday, and my life forever changed on Thursday. For the first time in weeks I didn’t feel the urge to take my bra off as soon as I walked in the door. I almost forgot what it feels like to be comfortable in a regular bra. It’s amazing what a difference a couple of extra inches of fabric make. I highly recommend giving these a try for anyone who’s in the same situation.

Another major Amazon purchase this week – Derek and I put up a baby gate in the future playroom.

IMG_6939

We’ve actually been meaning to do this since we moved in. I should have taken a before photo, we originally had a makeshift barrier of boxes to keep Maddie out of the room. It’s a large opening (72 in) and we weren’t sure there were any gates large enough to cover it. Turns out my sister had a gate that could fit the space in her house, which inspired us to do our own research.

We ended up ordering the Extra-Tall Summer Infant Metal Expansion Gate. It fits really well in the 72 in opening and is tall enough (36 in) where Maddie can’t over it (I’ve seen her jump over a traditional baby gate before – Maddie has mad jumping skills). Now that the boxes have all been brought to the recycling center, I’m excited to clear out the rest of the space and start putting the playroom together.

Finally, I’ve had to temporarily retire my wedding rings this week.

20150712_103846

*sniff* I miss them, but my swollen fingers just couldn’t handle them anymore. My mom was gracious enough to let me borrow her anniversary band through the rest of pregnancy. I need to get a chain to wear my wedding rings around my neck until then.

Did you have to retire your rings during pregnancy? How long after pregnancy were you able to wear them again?

1 Alison July 12, 2015 at 9:50 pm

With both my pregnancies it was only a couple of weeks postpartum that I was able to get my rings back on… …. It wa t best day ever! Good luck

2 Kelsey July 12, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I had my rings sized up about a half size (our jeweler did it for free because we bought a special service package when we got married) so I could wear them for the majority of my pregnancy. I did have to wear an old ring when I was in the hospital (I was one of those ladies who NEEDED a ring on my finger) and my regular ring fit again about 3 weeks postpartum. I didn’t size back down (stubborn baby weight) and I’m glad I didn’t because I’m now 20 weeks along with #2!

3 Katie @ Live Half Full July 12, 2015 at 10:57 pm

I’m pretty close to quitting my rings at 26 weeks. We shall see how long I last!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Meals & Workouts 7/12-7/18

4 Christine July 12, 2015 at 11:27 pm

I wore my rings during my entire pregnancy and then developed a horrible allergy to them postpartum. I initially thought it was from all the handwashing, but after some research I guess it can happen. Fourteen months later and I’m still fighting it. Pregnancy does some bizarre shit to your body.
Christine recently posted..Why We Write- A Glowing Review

5 Andrea July 13, 2015 at 2:12 am

My swelling went away in only three weeks. I had to ask my hubby earlier this week if I had to stop wearing my ring. I’ll be sad to retire it later in this pregnancy.
Bra extenders were a life saver. I went from a 32 normally, to a 36 by 2nd tri and by the end was using the full length of the bra extender.
Glad you’re still feeling good and staying active. Gives me hope I can stay fit as my pregnancy progresses.

6 Nikki July 13, 2015 at 8:20 am

I never had to retire my ring. I never even went up a bra size while pregnant. My husband joked that I was the only pregnant woman in history who’s breasts didn’t get bigger. They finally grew when I was pumping.

7 Trish July 18, 2015 at 11:00 am

I never went up in bra size either and I could wear my ring the entire time. You are not alone.

8 Erica [email protected]} July 13, 2015 at 8:24 am

I had my first bout of extreme frustration and crying in my closet because *nothing* fits me anymore (at 32 weeks) yesterday. I’ve bought a few maternity pieces but I’m so close to the end now I just can’t justify spending much more on clothes I won’t be wearing 3 months from now. I went bra shopping yesterday and they all felt miserable and constricting on me. I definitely need to pick up bra extenders, or just wear the new larger sports bra I bought under everything!

9 Elizabeth Beil July 13, 2015 at 8:27 am

I can’t believe you are at 27 weeks! You look so great!! I would love to try paddle boarding sometime!

10 Erin July 13, 2015 at 8:38 am

I’m 24 weeks and had to retire my rings last week! I always get a decent amount of swelling in my hands during long walks (even before I was pregnant and even though I drink TONS of water). I ended up buying a cheap sterling silver and CZ eternity band on Amazon for $25 to wear that looks similar to my wedding band.

11 Heather July 13, 2015 at 9:29 am

I’m so impressed by the SUP! I don’t trust my balance very much anymore at 30 weeks. I just wanted to suggest getting a maternity support belt for running – I didn’t use one when I had my first and quit running pretty early on because I had to pee every 20 feet ;). This time, my cousin loaned me her support belt and I’m still running- and rarely have to stop on my runs now 🙂

12 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust July 13, 2015 at 10:21 am

According to some pregnancy calenders, you are now in the third trimester! Welcome to the final stretch! I am 31 weeks and haven’t had to remove my wedding ring. I haven’t felt any different in my fingers, so I’m not sure that I will have to remove it until L day.

Way to stay active. I have been doing some SUP lately and love it! Being around the water period feels good during the hot summer months. I could just bathe in cold water all day long. 🙂

Hope you continue to feel good!
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Week 30; Sugar Shack, Back in the Pool, and Choosing a Name

13 Julie July 13, 2015 at 10:45 am

My baby is almost 8 months, and I’m still not back in my rings yet. Although I haven’t really tried for a couple of months. I just got used to not wearing them since midway through my pregnancy. Wrangling a baby isn’t ideal for ring wearing, anyway…

14 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood July 13, 2015 at 3:38 pm

When I was pregnant my fingers got to the point of no return andneeded to come off. I love that you’re using your mom’s ring I the mean time. I meant to get a temporary ring but forgot, and maybe 2 or 3 weeks post partum I was back in my rings!
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted..Best of the Weekend: Parks on Parks on Parks

15 Jill July 13, 2015 at 4:09 pm

looking good on the sup!!

i was wondering if you have had to get new sports bras and if so what ones are you liking?

16 Stacey July 13, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I can’t believe you’re almost done with your second trimester! Also, I admire your balance. I don’t think I could stay upright on a paddle board, and I’m not pregnant 🙂

17 Erin @ Recimplicity July 13, 2015 at 6:38 pm

You are looking so great! I had to lose my rings around week 25. I was really surprised that they still didn’t fit until almost two months postpartum. We actually looked into getting them resized because I was giving up hope that they would ever fit again. So glad we waited a bit longer!
Erin @ Recimplicity recently posted..Chorizo and Spinach Polenta Squares

18 Laureen @peachylau July 15, 2015 at 3:18 am

So happy that you are still feeling good!

19 Sheena @ Paws and Pavement July 15, 2015 at 11:26 am

Love SUP! Such a fun thing to do although my legs felt like jello too for the first half of it. You look great!
Sheena @ Paws and Pavement recently posted..Weekly workout recap – late edition

20 nicole July 16, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I’m so jealous. I’m still in the first trimester at 11 weeks and still feeling with the morning sickness. I can’t wait to be were you are- enjoying pregnancy, having a cute baby bump and no morning sickness.

At least reading your blog posts help. It makes realize I’ll get there soon enough.

21 Kristin Miller July 18, 2015 at 9:52 am

We just bought a gate because our box game is no longer strong! Unfortunately our opening is 73 inches so we had to go with a different gate though I had really wanted the one you got! I wore my rings my whole pregnancy but couldn’t put them back on after. I think it was something with it being summer and having a c section. I’m still not confident wearing my enagagement ring because I get scared it will get stuck!!! my wedding band has been on since around four months pp.
Kristin Miller recently posted..Henry: 12 Months