Maddie’s First BarkBox

by Meghann on July 8, 2015

This post is sponsored by BarkBox

Maddie had a special delivery last week – her very first BarkBox.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 8.54.54 PM

Can you tell she was excited?

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 8.55.08 PM

Maddie’s life is about to be turned upside down. A baby is on its way and she has absolutely no idea. I’ve tried telling her (multiple times!), but something tells me the message isn’t getting through. Most people read a million-and-one pregnancy/ baby books when expecting, I’ve been sinking my teeth into anything I can find about introducing your dog to a new baby. I even got a recommendation from my vet for a local trainer that specializes with helping pets adjust to new environments (baby = new environment). Maddie may be “just a dog” to some folks, but she’s my furchild and I want to make sure she knows how much we love and appreciate her before the baby comes and when the baby is here. I haven’t been stressing about much this pregnancy, but Maddie is a hot topic for me.

As the bump continues to grow, I’ve been spoiling Maddie with extra love and attention each and every day. We’re continuing to enjoy our daily runs/walks, evening games of fetch, nightly rubdowns, and we’ve started a BarkBox subscription.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 8.58.23 PM

BarkBox is a subscription box service dedicated to dogs. Each box contains 4-6 full-sized products that can be anything from treats, to toys, to other various goodies; all delivered right to your door.

IMG_6777

We received our first box last week and Maddie was a fan. It’s rare that I open a box and give her free reign over everything inside. She immediately bonded with the squeaky tree frog – her clear favorite of the entire box.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 9.03.58 PM Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 9.04.11 PM

Maddie is really sensitive when it comes to treats. Not only is she a picky eater, she also has unknown allergies that give her itchy skin if she eats the wrong thing.

BarkBox edible products do not include formaldehyde and are made with minimal processing; no glycerin whenever possible; wheat, gluten, soy, corn, filler-free whenever possible; organic whenever possible. You can also request special allergy-friendly BarkBoxes. Just email [email protected] once you’ve placed your order.

Fortunately Maddie did not turn her nose to the BBQ Chicken Mini Yumzies in her BarkBox.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 9.09.13 PM Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 9.09.23 PM Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 9.09.30 PM

We’re still working our way through the rest of the goodies. There are enough to keep her occupied for a while.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 9.09.39 PM

BarkBox plans start at $18/month and are tailored to your dog’s size. You can also adjust how long (or short!) of a subscription you’ll need. We basically did a starter box this month to see how she likes it/ worth continuing. I plan to invest in the 6 month subscription once the baby is here. Hopefully the new toys/ treats will continue to keep her entertained.

Want to try it for your furbaby? Use the coupon code MEALSANDMILES to add 1 free month to any plan during check out (i.e. if you purchase a 3-month plan, you’ll receive 4 months of BarkBox, if you purchase a 6-month plan you’ll receive 7 months, etc…). Click here to take advantage of the offer now.

Have you tried BarkBox? What were your thoughts?

1 Kathryn July 8, 2015 at 3:28 pm

just a note of caution – our vet recommended that we not give *too* much extra attention to our pups before our baby arrives, since then they will have a significant decrease in the amount of attention they get once the babe is here, and he doesn’t want them getting used to the extra lovin’ only to have that taken away in addition to having to adjust to a new baby. He suggested having them listen to videos of babies crying at slowly increasing volumes while eating, playing, or getting treats, so they would have positive associations with the sound, and not bark or get agitated.

2 Meghann July 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for the tip!

3 Maddie @ Dixie Runs July 8, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Love your dog’s name!! Dixie recently got a Pawpack and he she loved it. I chose that brand because she has food allergies and has to have only grain free treats/food. That’s awesome that Bark Box has that option too!!
Maddie @ Dixie Runs recently posted..Sucking it Up – Track Tuesday

4 Carly July 8, 2015 at 3:59 pm

We moved while my wife was pregnant, so our dog was off kilter already when my son was born. But starting in the third trimester the dog had what we joke was a “sympathy pregnancy”. He very suddenly had severe stomach issues, which led to an emergency vet visit and a number of regular vet visits. The vet went through every battery of tests they could think of, and couldn’t find the cause for all his gastrointestinal distress.

The day he came home after the baby was born, his stomach cleared up.

We’re 100% convinced he thought he was being replaced, and as soon as he grasped this was an addition, not a swap, he was totally fine.

5 Melissa July 8, 2015 at 4:19 pm

FYI – I don’t see any plans for $18 a month on the website. The lowest plan I saw when I tried to subscribe was $19/month and that’s if you sign up for 12 months at once (so you pay $228 total). If you only want to do 1 month, it’s $29, so not quite what I expected when I clicked over. Otherwise, looks cute and I would love to try it… but too expensive for me it for just 1 month.

6 E July 8, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I couldn’t go to the link you provided because of my company’s internet but I went to barkbox directly and tried to apply the mealsandmiles code and it only gave me 10% off, instead of a free month… don’t know if that’s because of the link but just wanted to let you know.

7 Meghann July 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I just reached out to my contact for an answer. I’ll let you know when I hear back!

8 Meghann July 9, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Hi E – I just received confirmation from BarkBox that the code is fixed. You should be good to go with the free month now. Sorry about the confusion!

9 E July 15, 2015 at 10:51 am

Thank you! I ordered it and got a free month… I’d been meaning to do so and was thinking about it when I opened your post so thanks!

10 Linda @ The Fitty July 8, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I wonder if there’s a corresponding Meowbox…
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Friday 5: My Current-lies!

11 Lacey July 9, 2015 at 12:01 pm

There IS Meowbox and Kitnipbox for kitties 🙂

12 Sarah W July 8, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Hi! I tried to use the coupon code and it is only giving me 10% off and not a free month. Is there something else I can try?

Thanks!

13 Meghann July 8, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I just emailed my contact. I’ll let you know what she says!

14 Meghann July 9, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Hi Sarah – I just received confirmation from BarkBox that the code is fixed. You should be good to go with the free month now. Sorry about the confusion!

15 Sarah W July 9, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Thank you!!

16 Lora @ Crazy Running Girl July 8, 2015 at 11:27 pm

I love that frog toy!! So cute!!
Lora @ Crazy Running Girl recently posted..When you just don’t have the motivation…

17 Liz July 9, 2015 at 12:09 am

I was super nervous about how my dog would react to our baby too, especially because she is used to getting TONS of attention. But honestly, it was such a non-issue. She is totally fine! I was actually shocked at how easy of a transition it was for her. One thing that I think might have helped, though, was that my parents came out when I went into labor and stayed with us for 2 weeks after we came home from the hospital. They were able to take our pup on walks and play with her while I was laid up recovering from my c-section and I think that helped her to adjust. Since your parents are dog people, if they are able to come out and stay with you I would absolutely recommend it!

18 Dietitian Jess July 9, 2015 at 7:48 am

OMG your dog is adorable! You can tell how loveable and sweet she is from the pictures 🙂 I’ve learned that for dealing with dogs and babies when you have visitors coming to see the baby make sure they say hi to the dog first- good luck I’m sure they’ll be the best of friends!
Dietitian Jess recently posted..Veggie Tuna Cakes

19 Laura July 9, 2015 at 8:39 am

I’m due 2 weeks after you and obsessed with my dog as well! One thing we’re going to do so she still feels important is to ask guests who come over to play with Margaret for a few minutes before they visit with the baby so she still feels important and loved.
Laura recently posted..Meal Planning

20 EB @ Running on E July 9, 2015 at 10:44 am

My dog got a bark box subscription from my parents for her birthday and loves it!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Snakebite 50k Training Week #8

21 Kelly July 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I tried Barkbox for 3 months on a Groupon. It was just okay. I think it could be good for dogs who like everything and anything but out of the three months there was only one toy that was a hit with my dog. Back then there was little to no customization other than size, maybe there is more now? The toys always seemed high end but more appealing to humans than dogs, not sure if Bloggers get special boxes but yours looks a lot better than what I remember getting.

22 Emily July 9, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Awww… It looks like Maddie really loves the toys. I hope she and baby are bestest friends.
Emily recently posted..Thinking Out Loud: Why I Want to Stop Calorie Counting

23 Mrs. Swan July 9, 2015 at 7:11 pm

When we brought our boys home from the hospital (2.5 yrs apart) We just gave them one of the used baby blankets from the hospital to smell and all was well. However at the time we had laid back beagle mixes. Now I have the two mixes and two mini dachshunds so #3 will be interesting.

24 Erika July 9, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I have Bark Box for my dog and he loves it. I’m probably going to cancel after this month since he’s been on it for a year and has a million toys, lol.

25 Meredith @ ImRunningWithErasers July 9, 2015 at 9:45 pm

I have wanted to try BarkBox for my chocolate lab, but I haven’t tried it yet. Looks like your dog loved it, so i’ll have to try it out!

26 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food July 10, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Maddie looks so cute in those pics!!
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

27 Melissa July 11, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I love that your dog is your fur child and you’re making sure she stays that way. People always told us that after our daughter was born the dog would become “just a dog.” I swear, no matter what we said, they would just give us that “knowing look.” Well, I’m proud to say that our dog is just as spoiled as ever! My daughter is now #1 above everything, but I still love my dog the same.
Melissa recently posted..My Favorite Movies