Pregnancy: Week 24

by Meghann on June 21, 2015

Welcome to week 24! Baby R is now the size of an ear of corn.

24 weeks

My apologies for how rough I look in this week’s photo. It was a really long day and I had no desire to do my hair or attempt any makeup. Besides, I believe weekends were made for crazy hair and tired eyes, right?

I had my 24 week appointment on Thursday. This was actually my first doctor appointment without an ultrasound attached to it. It’s amazing how much faster a doctor appointment is without an ultrasound. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes – score!

Everything looked good. Baby’s heartbeat was nice and strong on the doppler and my bump is measuring exactly 24 weeks. This was the first appointment where they actually brought out the measuring tape and took measurements of the bump – that was interesting.

The doctor did make a note about my weight. She generally recommends that patients gain between 25 – 35lbs throughout their pregnancies and, well, I’ve already reached that milestone in week 24. What can I say, I’m an overachiever. Right now I’m up 25 lbs and she’s guesstimating I’ll end up gaining a total of 40-50 lbs if I keep this trend up. Yikes.

Honestly, I’m still at a loss with this new information. The doctor didn’t seem too concerned since I started in the “ideal weight range” for my height, but did make the comment “it’s just more weight you’ll have to lose after birth.” For whatever reason THAT comment annoyed me more than the 25 lbs I’ve gained. There was no mention of how the extra weight could lead to high blood pressure, increase chances of varicose veins, calf cramps, heartburn, hemorrhoids, etc. It was purely vanity related.

I feel like I have very little control over my body right now. I’m trying to stick to my regular eating habits as closely as possible, but sometimes other cravings just get in the way. It’s actually been really nice indulging a little more in sweets and asking for french fries instead of the side of vegetables when ordering out. I’m staying active and moving when I can, but I’m also not afraid to sleep-in. I’m taking advantage of the quiet mornings while I can and I don’t want to feel guilty about it.

I also want to put a side note here about how other people act towards pregnant women in regards to eating. I get a lot of comments along the lines of, “you’re eating for two – of course you can eat that!” or “why are you saying no? this is the time to indulge!” Yes to indulging, but I still have a healthy pregnancy and baby to consider.

I’m not going to stop enjoying pregnancy, but I can cut back a little on eating out and sweets. As of right now I could personally care less how much I weigh or what I weigh after giving birth, in the end I just want a healthy baby girl and that baby girl deservers a healthy (and happy!) mommy to take care of her.

Thankfully my blood pressure is still looking good (knock on wood!) and the only big issue I have is chafing(ow!).

My next appointment is the big glucose test at week 28. I’m told that is a fun one. 😉

1 Rachel June 21, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I can understand the desire to stay as close to my “normal” weight as possible. I had no appetite during the first few months of pregnancy And it made me feel awful. By the end, I wanted to eat everything in sight but had heartburn 24/7 and no room for food. Ugh. It’s a see-saw of dealing with emotions, staying healthy, and listening to your body. Hang in there! You seem to be doing so well with it all. She’ll be here soon!

2 Linda @ The Fitty June 21, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Hah the last sentence: we that sarcasm? 🙂
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..3 Habits to Try to Create:

3 Kate June 21, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Don’t sweat it!!! I was just like you, I had gained over 20 lbs at week 24. I’m now at week 34 & it really slowed, but my baby girl is still measuring just fine. I actually have SO much in common with you pregnancy wise. My past year has been almost identical to your history, I’m just about a month ahead in the loss department & two months ahead in the pregnancy department. We’ve been through a lot, enjoy it & trust your body. I’ve been told that it doesn’t matter so much what you gain, if you stay active during pregnancy you will lose the weight in good time.

4 Morgan June 21, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Don’t worry about your weight! My GP is always focused on weight and I seem to leave her office feeling down on myself – even when I found out I was pregnant and had just finished my half ironman the week before! Luckily my midwife is completely opposite and I havent had to see my GP since then.
I’m 32 weeks and my midwife hasn’t weighed me the entire time – for which I am so grateful! Seems like all the comments I get about how much weight I should gain and watching my weight come from an older generation… My midwife has said if all my measurements, blood work, blood pressure are on track – then my body knows what it’s doing and there is no need to concern ourselves with the number on the scale.
I mean my boobs seem to have quadrupled so there are def plenty of lbs in that region!
Though the more laid back approach might also be because I’m in Australia and they seem to be less concerned about only ticking boxes when comparing my experiences to my sister’s…

You look beautiful and I agree the only important thing is a happy healthy baby at the end of this journey!
Now….want to splitsy a pizza?!

5 Julie June 21, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Just listen to your body and do what feels right. Today is my due date (no baby yet though, ha) and I’ve hit 40 lbs. gained. However, like you, I was very active and in very good shape when we conceived, and my OB isn’t concerned one bit; in fact, she is happy with the weight gain. I’ve been eating healthy and exercising as I can. Everyone is different and at the end of the day it’s all about growing a healthy baby 🙂 So what if you have five extra lbs. to lose at some point. It will have been worth it to have a healthy pregnancy and baby!

6 Megan June 21, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Ugh – that’s annoying of her to say. Honestly, as long as you are active and generally eating well don’t stress it. I am of the mind your body will do what it wants to do, you certainly don’t want to restrict! I believe Tina at carrots and cake gained more than recommended or was ahead of the curve and she was in full workout mode the entire time – she lost it in no time. No woman is one size fits all with this. I am 25 weeks pregnant and was ahead of the curve too – have no idea why. I have been eating generally the same (generally bc morning sickness and pregnancy tastebuds obviously get i the way) and am an over achiever as well. It can be hard, but as long as I am being healthy i am trying not to beat myself up about it. Contrary to Doctor’s belief, we dont’ all gain the same way, ie no gain in the first trimester, the most at the end. Like other posters have said, it can slow down drastically at the end or not. Keep being healthy that is all that matters!

7 elizabeth June 21, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Are you sure that is what your doctor meant? It seems that it was stated as ‘it’s just more weight you’ll have to lose after birth … because having that extra weight isn’t healthy and can lead to many health issues.’ As opposed to ‘it’s just more weight you’ll have to lose after birth … because you’ll look better.’ I’m sure it was just a misunderstanding.

8 Katie @ Live Half Full June 21, 2015 at 11:01 pm

That comment would bother me as well! Just keep taking care of yourself and your body will do what it needs!

9 jen June 21, 2015 at 11:05 pm

that was a really unprofessional way for your doctor to frame weight gain. i feel like medical professionals haven’t let go of weight in terms of black and white, good and bad, BMI conclusively “means” something. 🙁

10 bridget June 21, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Yes..just be happy..but also remember all the extra sugar and salt goes to the baby..you want them to eat healthy! 🙂

11 Jennifer June 21, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Gaining too much weight can bring on other complications you may not want like Preclampsia or gestational diabetes

12 Rebecca June 21, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Okay, gotta delurk on this one because the general hand wringing over pregnancy weight gain drives me nuts! I have had three babies and have compared notes with friends, sisters etc and here is the thing I have noticed: women tend to have a “set amount” of weight that they gain with each pregnancy, it is pretty much consistent from preg to preg, and there is nothing you can do to change that. You can eat like a bunny or eat all the things and you’ll still gain the right amount of weight FOR YOU. It might be 20 lbs, it might be 50, but your body is smart and knows what you and your baby need. The ladies who gain more, a LOT is water and comes off very very quickly. (My husbands ex gained 75 pounds each time and literally lost 50 lbs of water weight in the first month postpartum! She’s a totally normal weight now, too.)

I just wanted to share this to encourage you (I hope). Remember a lot of docs have their own weight issues. You do you, and take care of your baby – your body knows what to do, and will take care of itself. And I think you look awesome and perfect for 24 weeks!

13 Goldie June 22, 2015 at 3:20 am

oh god, the weight gain conversations! Isn’t it weird that you have chats with medical professionals and there seems to be no clarification as to how the weight might impact on you and baby health wise but it’s all about the fact “you just shouldn’t gain too much”. Well, thanks for the update doctor. I probably could have guessed that little nugget of info without sitting in your waiting room for 45 minutes!

To be honest I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You’re still being active which is great for you and for baby (i’m doing the same – power walking everyday), you look fantastic (I’m at 32 weeks… I know what fantastic looks like right now 😉 ) and to be honest I am not going to lose my head over the fact I’ve eaten peanut butter 3 days on the trot! 90% of my food is good and my choices are entirely with baby in mind so what more can be asked of me?

Also, if it’s all about the vanity then you know full well you are quite capable of getting back in shape. You’ve done it before which is what inspired the blog so… no contest there.

Lastly, when you get to the third trimester you don’t have any stomach (or lungs for that matter! Just warning you… those walks with Maddie are going to feel worse than any PB you’ve ever set before! It’s so weird) so even though you have cravings you can’t do anything about them. It’s very frustrating. My mum makes a great family meal on a Sunday and me and my partner go over to dig in and although I want to eat half the lasagne tray I manage about half a portion and a bit of salad. So you’ll probably find that your weight becomes stable or even drops a bit. You’ll be losing from your body while baby is gaining (because she’s stealing it from you!)

You look great – and a great attitude. Perhaps it’s a mummy-to-be thing. For the first time in my life I also don’t care about what happens to my body – I just want my baby to be happy and healthy and when s/he arrives I want to be able to nurture and care for him/her. I guess that’s the change when a little baby is entirely dependent on you.xx
Goldie recently posted..A post for the bookworms…

14 Rachel June 22, 2015 at 4:01 am

In the UK they weigh you at the first appointment to calculate your BMI, but not after that. I imagine that because I’ve ‘only’ gained about 16 pounds by week 32 I’d be getting grief from a doctor in the USA. The thing is, my bump measures fine, my blood and urine have been fine, my blood pressure is fine, so there’s nothing to worry about! Perhaps that’s what your doctor meant by their comments: because all of the other indicators show you and the baby are in good health, the only issue with you having gained a bit more weight is that you’d have more to lose to get back to where you were pre-pregnancy.

15 Goldie June 23, 2015 at 2:59 am

really? I’m in the UK and I’m 32 weeks and they weigh me every time – as it happens i’m going in today and I bet they bloody weigh me! Drives me mad… “just hop on the scale… oh your weight has gone up!”… no kidding, i’m growing a human!xx
Goldie recently posted..A post for the bookworms…

16 Kerry June 22, 2015 at 5:58 am

In the US they always seem more worried about your weight when pregnant.. I’m in the UK and when I was pregnant they never even weighed me! I put on about 42lbs and I was so sick the only things that would stay down were bacon sandwiches and mcdonalds.. but our daughter was perfectly fine, no complications and 100% healthy.. I don’t think it really matters, your body knows what it needs 🙂
Kerry recently posted..Our thoughts on buying a house

17 Robin June 22, 2015 at 6:39 am

Wow! Your doctor really picked a bad choice of wording. You’re doing everything right. Just continue to keep yourself and the baby healthy and happy. I can say from personal experience that you will not care how much you have to lose after baby girl comes!

18 Heather June 22, 2015 at 6:51 am

You look great! I’m with you, I’d be more annoyed they didn’t mention any possible complications with weight (because really not everyone knows!) than about losing it at the end- you never know how that part will go either, some people easily lose 40 and others struggle with only 10. As long as you’re taking care of yourself the best YOU can, you’re doing great! (And you know that ;))
Heather recently posted..Eating at Three: Munchkin Meals

19 Nycmama June 22, 2015 at 7:23 am

Her statement is true – the more you gain, the more you have to lose. I can speak from experience (twice) – when you are 3 months postpartum and feeling flabby and super hormonal, you may very well wish you hadn’t eaten so much during your pregnancy as the weight doesn’t just magically disappear. I had horrible nausea both pregnancies and eating crap was all that kept me going – but I gained 45 lbs. both times and felt so uncomfortable in my own skin, during and after the babies were born. Pregnancy isn’t really a time to indulge any more than normal – the caloric needs aren’t much greater and the baby (and you) are best served by fruit and veggies, not fries and pizza and chicken wings.

20 Molly June 22, 2015 at 7:58 am

I internally cringe when I have to talk weight at work when I do gestational diabetes educations. Weight is a concern due to gestational diabetes increasing future diagnosis of type 2 diabetes.
Cheers to your glucose tolerance test.

21 Meggie June 22, 2015 at 8:36 am

Hi!

As an OB resident, I’m glad you recognized and mentioned the other (more important, I think issues) things that weight gain leads to rather than just vanity! That is what is most important, I think – gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, increased risk of C/S, and so on and so forth.. Pregnancy changes your body and eating right and staying active are not only important for your mind, but also in achieving a healthy pregnancy and labor/delivery process! And, I’ve appreciated your honesty in your posts throughout your pregnancy.

I’m not pregnant but gave up sugar (well, in some respects! I still eat fruit!) recently and feel a lot better actually (not sure if I’ve lost weight – I don’t own a scale!).

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy and good luck with the GCT (I’ve heard the drink is a little rough)!

22 Jill June 22, 2015 at 8:42 am

Just popping in to say don’t sweat it about the glucose test – you’ll be fine 🙂 As for weight… I gained about 45 pounds, and loved every second of it, even when the nurse said “You’re looking a little…swollen”. You’re an active chicky, and you know about proper nutrition – you’ll get the weight off when it’s time. For now, enjoy how adorable you look. Pregnancy really suits you!

23 Silvia @ skinny jeans food June 22, 2015 at 9:01 am

To ‘feed’ the little one inside of you, you just need an extra 300 calories/day. Remember, it is not a fully grown person yet, but a miniature “two”. 300 calories is not a lot. 2 large apples? a slice of bread and some peanut butter? The calories for extra french fries at a restaurant can clock in at 600 calories. And… do you really want french fries be the nutrition for your baby? 😉 — I guess the “intuitive eating” might be off during pregnancy and give the wrong clues. It can be mixed with anxiety of first-time mothers, lack of sleep, an excuse to pig out in general. Staying as healthy as possible is probably a good idea, and eating healthy, too, and not just to have less weight to loose later.
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Dreaming about shoes

24 Ali June 22, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Silvia,

I don’t think that Meghann was talking about ordering extra fries at dinner. But saying where she used to only get veggies she might opt for the fries instead if she is craving them.

Thanks for the education on the the extra 300 calories…but there is no need to be holier than thou about if she really wants french fries to be nutrition for her baby. Fries are fine on occasion and there is some decent nutritional value in french fries (fiber, potassium).

“Intuitive eating” is off during pregnancy? How? It is a time when most women eat when they feel hungry, eat what their bodies are craving and eat what makes their bodies feel good (i.e. avoiding spicy foods if they are prone heartburn). They also eat what they can keep down because a lot of ladies have significant food aversions and are trying to get ANY nutrition for their babies. Is that not EXACTLY what intuitive eating is? A lot of women, myself included, are way more in tune with their bodies when they are pregnant than at any other time in their lives.

Out of curiosity…do you have children?

25 stacy June 22, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I don’t think she is eating french fries everyday, and I’m sure she knows what 300 calories looks like. The occasional order of fries isn’t going to harm the baby.
stacy recently posted..To My Father in Law (Happy Father’s Day)

26 Angie June 22, 2015 at 9:13 am

You probably already know this, but when I was pregnant and creeping up on the weight gain limits, my doc said one good thing to do is avoid drinking your calories. It was summer, I was hot, and frappucinos were my go-to, so when I cut back on those, my weight got back under control.

27 Selin June 22, 2015 at 10:34 am

You look great! I’m at 33 weeks right now (our first baby and it is a girl!) and my weight gain is right on track but I have varicose veins and heartburn. It does not depend purely on the weight gain. I know from other ladies with “normal” weight gain with high blood pressure and hemorrhoids.So dont worry about your doctor’s comment not mentioning those issues. As long as you and the baby are healthy, weight gain is not an issue- I’m on the same boat with you.My trick with dealing with my sweet tooth is a reasonable amount of dried figs/apricots 🙂 and also saying no when my husband keeps offering me extra food I don’t need 😀 take care!

28 Malinda June 22, 2015 at 10:40 am

I’m 19 weeks along with twins and at my last doctor’s appointment we asked about weight. They said that weight varies so much person to person, they don’t really put much thought into it. My motto for eating this pregnancy has been to listen to my body. If I’m hungry, I eat, if I’m not, I don’t force it. I try to make good choices, but sometimes I indulge. Do what works for you, you’re doing great. 🙂

29 Ali June 22, 2015 at 10:46 am

I was a healthy weight pre-pregnancy, and followed my body’s cues during pregnancy. I gained 43 pounds and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight by 9 months just by breastfeeding alone (no time for workouts!). So I wouldn’t sweat it. Your body will do what it needs to.

30 Stacey June 22, 2015 at 11:04 am

Ugh, that comment would’ve really bothered me, too — especially when she phrased it from such a vanity-based perspective.
Stacey recently posted..These are a few of my favorite things

31 Kate June 22, 2015 at 11:40 am

Don’t even think twice! I realized that when you’re pregnant, your body does what it wants. A best girlfriend once told me that with one kid she was so strict and ate only as prescribed with no indulgences and she gained 40 pounds, next kid, ate whatever she pleased, gained 40 pounds. In the end, two healthy beautiful kids and one happy healthy momma. Let it go! This is the first mental challenge of motherhood, let it go!

32 Kathryn June 22, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I’m currently 22 weeks, and had a similar conversation with my doctor – however, I had only gained 13 lbs. I honestly don’t think your doctor’s phrasing was done poorly – from a public health standpoint, many times weight gain and loss is a much stronger motivator than potential symptoms that may or may not appear regardless of weight. If your doctor was trying to steer you towards making certain behavior modifications, it makes sense to give you a tangible issue to address, that is a certainty (you WILL have to lose that weight in the future if you want to get back to a healthier weight, and postpartum pounds can be harder to lose than people realize due to certain lifestyle changes that come with an infant), than throw more medicalized issues at you (and those may not have been discussed because the doctor may not have felt that you were at risk of those complications). So while you may feel indigant at your doctor’s chiding, the doctor’s job is to guide you through the healthiest possible pregnancy.

33 Julie June 22, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I’m sure you’ll be fine. The weight will come off, and you’ve been active so I doubt it’s that you’ve been overindulging. There are tons of diagrams online showing where pregnancy weight comes from, and only relatively small portion of that is from fat.

34 Jen June 22, 2015 at 12:12 pm

It’s entirely possible that the dotcor meant that you’d have to lose that much weight to get down to “ideal” again, which is much harder than some people think when you’ve got a newborn baby and a body that wants to hold on to weight for hormonal reasons. Perhaps since your doctor knows about your previous interest in health, running, and maybe even your weight loss story, he/she was expressing concern that your weight gain might make the post-partum period for you even more challenging. I certainly found it difficult to have my whole world turned upside down (habits, new baby, different dynamic in my marriage) in addition to the harsh reality that the body I thought would be my own again after giving birth was nothing like I expected it to be.

35 Elisabeth June 22, 2015 at 12:43 pm

MEGHANN!! I haven’t checked in on you in a LOOONG time!! I didn’t even know that you are pregnant, so congratulations! =)

Next, i’m working my 3rd pregnancy right now, and I can promise you that you are thinking about this properly…your focus is growing a healthy baby right now, and unless you feel like you are completely out of control (you’re not), you can ignore your doctor’s comments about weight loss after the baby. I always gain most of my weight during the 2nd trimester, and I always gain between 25-30lbs total. During the 3rd trimester, I generally have just gained and lost the same 5lbs over and over.

Just keep doing what you’re doing, and don’t sweat what the scale is telling you. If you **feel** good, and your baby’s check ups are coming back A-OK, then just keep doing what you’re doing. You look amazing, and you’re doing a great job. So excited for you!

36 Melissa June 22, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Sylvia @Skinny Jeans Food should learn to take her condescending attitude and shove it. At least that is what my “intuition” is saying. What a ridiculous thing to say to an expectant mom and to throw in the fact that she might not be making the best choices for her baby, wow. You are truly awesome.

37 Ali June 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Exactly! I just commented very similarly to her post.

38 Allison June 22, 2015 at 1:17 pm

One blog that always makes me feel better about pregnancy weight gain is

she is very healthy and active, but gained a lot of weight with both pregnancies, because that is what her body needed. everyone is different. Just do your best to eat a healthy diet.

39 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut June 22, 2015 at 1:25 pm

That is super-annoying! I hate when doctor’s are insensitive. My dr made me feel totally crazy for a question I asked her at my 24-week appointment. I thought it was logical, but even if it wasn’t, how hard is it to just answer the question and move on without making an expecting mom even more emotional than she already is?! I actually gained most of my weight at the end of the first trimester/beginning of the second. I was definitely craving more carbs and sweets then, and while I tried to be mindful, I did indulge without guilt. I’m now at a point where “treating myself” just doesn’t seem so exciting anymore. Whenever I get a sweets craving, I try to opt for greek yogurt or frozen grapes and I’m usually happy with making the healthier choice. But if that urge is still there after a few days, I’ll indulge it. My biggest motivation in making good choices is that I want to continue feeling as good as I can for as long as possible. At 28 weeks, I have had very minimal pain or discomfort so far and while that might be part due to “luck,” I’d also like to believe that my efforts are paying off. Anyway…don’t sweat it. You’re doing great and I think the weight gain will slow down in the 3rd tri like others have said. You get full much faster! I think doctors just like to scare you earlier on, but I don’t think that approach is very effective or helpful!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..My Snow Day Eats: 3 Easy Comfort Food Recipes

40 Lisa June 22, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Just wanted to say don’t worry at all about your gestational diabetes test — it is so NOT THAT BAD. In fact, it was such a breeze that I got angry after mine a few weeks ago — so many people had warned me that I had built up a lot of anxiety in my head surrounding the test! Bytm like many things in pregnancy, it seems to be something that people like to talk up, exaggerate the negative. The drink isn’t great (sort of like nastier gatorade), but you don’t have to drink as much of it as you think you will. An hour later, you’re done. Granted, I passed mine so I don’t know about the three-hour (which I’m sure is much rougher) or what it’s like to have to deal with the diagnosis itself. But the one-hour test is one of the easier things I’ve had to deal with during my (now 28-week long) pregnancy.

41 Olivia June 22, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I gain a lot of weight when pregnant — even though I eat healthy and run throughout! With my son I put on 50lbs and with my daughter it was closer to 60lbs. I lost all the weight from my son within a few months with little effort (yay, breastfeeding!). I’m 2 months pp with my daughter and it’s slower going, but the weight is coming off. And I never had any issues with high blood pressure, varicose veins, muscle cramps, heartburn, or hemorrhoids!!

42 Monica June 22, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I gained 55 pounds with my son. I was just following my hunger cues, I was ravenous all the time! I too got the same speech from the doctor. Well, my son weighed in at 6 lbs and 12 ounces and when I left the hospital I was down 20 pounds then down 35 by the end of the 3rd week. The rest came off effortlessly within 60 days and I did not exercise at all. My point..listen to your body and do what feels right.

43 Jackie June 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm

It’s such a double-edged sword with weight gain. I am at 32 weeks and I am right on track with my recommended weight gain and people tell me how small my bump looks and ask horrible questions like, is everything ok–like my baby isn’t going to be healthy because I don’t look big enough :(. I think we are better off just doing our best and letting comments go by the wayside because people can be rude or ignorant about how different every pregnancy and body is.

It’s great you are still working out and doing your best to eat healthy :). Good luck.

44 Jane June 22, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I’m 27 weeks along, and I’ve already gained somewhere around 25 – 30 lbs. But, like you I was a healthy weight pre-pregnancy, don’t have any major health concerns, feel pretty good, stay active (though your running really impresses me as I mostly just walk!), and am measuring right on schedule… all of which signify that mama and baby are healthy – the most important thing! It doesn’t help in the slightest to worry now about the weight you may or may not need to loose after you give birth, as long as you are healthy making decisions along the way – which, in my opinion, includes getting plenty of rest, eating when hungry, and not stressing about every bite (I know you know this; I’m just sympathizing with you!). You really do look great! Also, I was really nervous about the glucose test, and it was actually really easy. I ate eggs the morning of the test (nothing that would break down into sugar like toast, fruit, etc.) and passed no problem.

45 Melissa June 22, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Honestly, that’s why I didn’t look at the scale and asked them to not tell me what I weighed. I didn’t want it messing with my head. Don’t even worry about it – focus on staying healthy for your baby girl, which you’re already doing. You’ll be fine. 🙂
Melissa recently posted..I Got Out of My Slump!

46 Steph F June 22, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I gained 40 lbs with both of my pregnancies and my OBGYN never once made a negative comment…In fact, I remember her saying several times that she was fine with me gaining a little extra. As some of the other commenters have mentioned, your weight gain likely will slow down by the 3rd tri anyway, and I seem to recall even dropping a couple lbs. at the very end, when I just couldn’t stomach much food at a time. In any event, the weight dropped off in no time with breast feeding and walks with the jogging stroller, and I actually ended up below my pre-pregnancy weights both times by about 6 months post partum. You lead and active life and will be just fine! Keep listening to your body and enjoy this time : )

47 Jasmine June 22, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Until 30 weeks, I had only gained 10 pounds, and they still mentioned my weight gain was too much. I started heavier than you did, for sure, but STILL. Come on, people!! They can’t seem to help themselves. It’s what doctors do, for whatever reason.

I will say that in third trimester, I’ve put on as much ALREADY as I did in the first 30 weeks combined. Third tri weight gain is INSANE.

All that is too say, more than anything it’s crucial to eat healthfully (variety, veggies, etc) and try not to stress yourself about weight. Those vitamins and a balanced diet are WAY more crucial to baby girl than the number on the scale, in my opinion. 🙂

48 tina June 22, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I dont think your doc was trying to be rude..he is just letting you know..also..eating for two can be done by extra pbutter on bread..not going crazy at every meal..

49 Mrs.Savi June 22, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Thought I would share my experience with you in case it helps. I class cruising along eating granola like it was going out of style when I went to one of my preggo appointments somewhere between 4-5 months and met with a doctor in the practice that wasn’t my usual one. He told me I had gained too much weight and it was likely I would develop gestational diabetes or have a c-section because my baby would be too big at birth. That scared the crap out of me. I was a avid exerciser and ate healthy the majority of the time during that point in my life (and for years previously) so I decided to try and be super healthy the remainder of my pregnancy. I went to spin class 3 days a week and did weights and ultimately barre method for preggos the other 2 days. Still gained 32 pounds. Breastfeeding took so much weight off as long as I ate healthy. But fast forward to 11 months and I now have 5lbs extra that I put on after losing it all. And honestly, I’m happy with my body. I have a baby and after everything my body and I have been through in making this little miracle of life happen, the extra pounds don’t matter so much. Just be as healthy as you can and keep moving when it feels right because it will help you have stamina to take care of that amazing bundle of joy headed your way. Other than that, enjoy this time as much as you can! I still sometimes miss being able to feel those sweet baby kicks in my belly. You are a glorious mama to be!

50 Kelly June 22, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I gained 45 pounds. When I was halfway through my pregnancy one of the docs made a comment about my weight. FYI I’m average weight and healthy to begin with. I did not take it very well. But by three months post partum, most of it was gone and I was back in my old jeans. Every woman and every pregnancy is soooo different.

51 Alyssa June 22, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I gained 20lbs pretty fast, way ahead of the recommended timeline, maybe by like 20-25 weeks? And I was like HOLY SHIT I’LL BE HUMONGOUS. Then it slowed down and I still stayed pretty much within the recommended weight gain (37 pounds, I’m counting it). Had an OMG C SECTION anyway and ate massive amounts of fries while pregnant so my kiddo will probably never get into Harvard but he’ll be 9 months tomorrow and I can wear my pre-pregnancy jeans so I think we both survived. I wouldn’t worry too much, pregnancy is a wild card for sure! I don’t regret a single french fry.
Alyssa recently posted..My head is famous now

52 Holly June 22, 2015 at 9:53 pm

I gained exactly 40 lbs with both my pregnancies…I honestly think that was just how much was right for me. And it all came off. Twice. And my babies were both perfectly healthy. I agree that it’s nice to feel like you can cut your self some slack and eat what you’re craving while you’re pregnant.

53 Liz June 22, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Others have said it already, but don’t sweat the weight gain! I was in exactly the same boat and ended up only gaining 32 lbs total by the end. It slowed way down in 3rd tri. Also, the weight really does come off faster than you think it will! I am by no means at my fittest, but I am back at my pre-pregnancy weight less than 4 months after delivering my daughter without doing anything crazy. Breastfeeding helps! And, to be honest, I find myself not caring very much about how my body has changed anyway. Being a mom is so all-consuming that I’m so much less focused on myself than ever before, and while that can be hard it is also really freeing in a way!

54 McKenzie June 23, 2015 at 6:19 am

During my pregnancy, friends were airways telling me to “eat for 2” and take advantage of being able to eat anything, sometimes if felt like they were pushing me to eat junk. But like you said, I still wanted a healthy pregnancy & baby. I totally allowed myself more leniency w what I ate (or didn’t eat-like daily veggies) & how I worked out, but reminded myself that bad habits are hard break. You know you. You know your body. You’ll know what is best. 🙂

55 Meghann June 23, 2015 at 8:45 am

I’m nearly 35 weeks with our little guy, and my (former) doctor made the same comment about weight gain. I cut back on sweets and carby stuff and have been keeping it pretty steady for the last 9 weeks. Just focus on being healthy! 🙂 Good luck!

56 EB @ Running on E June 23, 2015 at 11:47 am

I think everyone’s body reacts differently to being pregnant both in how is develops and cravings etc. and you know best what can work for you.
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Snakebite 50k Training Week #6

57 marykate June 23, 2015 at 12:00 pm

i don’t think i’ve ever commented, but i’ve gained more than i wanted to during pregnancy–over 40 lb at 38 weeks. i was JUST BARELY a healthy weight before getting pregnant (had gained weight during infertility treatment and during/after a miscarriage right around when yours was–sorry we have that in common). my docs have made similar comments when i’ve asked if my weight gain is OK, and honestly i took comfort in the fact that they weren’t concerned. and i think that the difference between gaining 25 lb and 40 lb during a pregnancy when you start at a healthy weight just isn’t a very big deal. i’ve had moderate to severe morning sickness the whole time, and the only thing that helps has been…. food. i’ve tried to make healthy choices and stay active, but that hasn’t always gone well either. but i’ve taken my vitamins, eaten as many vegetables, fruits, and lean meats as i can tolerate, and taken walks and swam when i could. beyond that…. eh. i just don’t think ti’s worth worrying about. like someone upthread said, heartburn, varicose veins, etc., don’t just happen to the women who gain “too much.” i’ve had a lot of swelling but my bp has been totally fine–usually still low. i’ve had plenty of heartburn but no varicose veins or leg cramps. honestly, i think your body just does what it does during pregnancy and there’s not a lot you can do about it, besides trying to make generally good choices but not drive yourself up a wall trying to be the perfect picture of health. and pregnancy is HARD, and if a cookie now and then or some french fries makes it a little easier, then i’m gonna do it!

58 Brittany June 23, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Meghann, congratulations on your pregnancy! I’m sorry to hear that you were bothered by the comment about weight gain. Try not to let it bug you too much. For what it’s worth, my experience was that I gained weight quickly in the first two trimesters and that it tapered off at the end. I had gained 20 lbs by 24 weeks and only 26 lbs total when I delivered at 40 weeks. I did the Bradley Method, and the nutritional recommendations seemed to naturally create this weight gain pattern. Baby measured perfectly the whole way through – 8 lbs and born on her due date! My midwife said that sometimes, very fit women naturally gain weight quickly at the start just to have enough “reserves” for a healthy baby. I couldn’t have cared less about my weight after my daughter was born, but I happened to lose it all plus 5 more within 2 months due to nursing and, let’s be honest, a little bit of first-time-mom stress. 🙂 Continue eating foods that will nourish your babe, and you’ll be just fine!

59 jamie June 23, 2015 at 4:37 pm

i gained 40 lbs my first pregnancy. Lost it all plus some by 1 year postpartum. I stressed about it so much during my pregnancy and it was SO not worth all the stress. I have friends who gained 60 lbs and they lost it all too. Enjoy the pregnancy, enjoy the baby…it’s a small period of time and one to be enjoyed!

60 Christy June 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I gained most of my weight during the first half of pregnancy. However, the second half I actually looked like I gained more (lol) but it was just extra swelling, fluid, etc. Good luck! You’re active, you’ll be fine!
Christy recently posted..Nine Months!

61 Jax June 23, 2015 at 8:38 pm

The glucose test isn’t that bad. For real. Your doing great Meghann!

62 Jax June 23, 2015 at 8:39 pm

*you’re doing great ????

63 Pattie Welch June 24, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Don’t let the weight gain comments get you down. You’re doing great and staying active and your baby seems to be growing perfectly as well. I gained 75 lbs. each time I was pregnant – and my babies are only 16 months apart. While it was not “healthy” by the standards, my glucose was fine, blood pressure was fine and I delivered two healthy babies each time. Was it hard getting 75 lbs off twice in a row … yes. Do/Did I have days where I didn’t feel like myself for a while … yes. But it was worth every pound. And remember, we’re all just doing the best we can each day. Continue to stay active, stay positive and that’s all you need to worry about. Don’t let her comments get to you. Be sure to enjoy your pregnancy … as you know it really is a magical time. Congrats.

64 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner June 24, 2015 at 7:48 pm

I think it’s funny that some people are so quick to tell you you’re overeating. I’m pretty sure having had a food blog for umpteen years and telling us daily how well you eat and exercise that you know what you’re putting into your body. Everything will be fine! You are healthy as a peach. 🙂
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

65 Jenny June 26, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Ha….I loved the glucose test!
Tasted like the stuff from sports day in elementary school
🙂

66 Trish June 27, 2015 at 6:08 am

Don’t worry about the glucose test. I thought the drink was good. It tasted like orange Gatorade so I chugged it easily and then sat in a room and read. So for me it was very enjoyable experience.

67 Shauna July 4, 2015 at 12:49 am

please don’t apologize for how you look to other people in your pictures 🙂 you look great, are growing another whole person, on top of a busy life! Bottom line of all of that though, is that you look great. I can understand why you’re a little annoyed about your doctor’s comments, especially considering you’re someone who lives an active lifestyle. I used to follow your blog all the time, then had to delete my blog reader. I’m happy to catch up to my old favorites, and congratulations on the baby girl!