A Weekend of RunHappy in Seattle

by Meghann on June 15, 2015

I’m back! What an amazing, whirlwind of a trip! From touring the brand new Brooks Running HQ, to running my first pregnancy race, to getting to spend time with some of my best friends from the internet, it was one hell of a weekend. Thank you Brooks Running for the amazing opportunity and thank you to the amazing Lauren for making it all happen!

IMG_37271

Where do I begin? I guess I can scoot way back to the very beginning when I was first introduced to Brooks running shoes in January of 2010. I did the typical new-shoe routine of testing a few running shoe options at my local running store. It was there that I purchased my first pair of Brooks (the Glycerin 7s!) and I haven’t looked back. Fast forward to 2012 when I received an email from Brooks asking if I’d like to join their Brooks RunHappy Blog Ambassador team. Umm… is the sky blue? Hell yeah! I’ve been a faithful Brooks Blog Ambassador (and customer) ever since. I’ve had the honor of taking a trip to NYC with Brooks in 2012, to Seattle in 2014, and again this past weekend.

The trip started super early (like, leaving the house at 3:45am early!) on Friday morning. I really can never say enough about how easy Tampa’s airport is. I left my hour at 3:45am and was at my gate by 4:20am. There were no lines, security was quick, and thankfully Starbucks was open by the time I made it to my terminal (decaf latte for the win!).

IMG_20150612_044255

By the way, I was able to fine a really decent pair of maternity capris at Target the night before. They’re the BeMaternity Active Maternity Capri and they were nice and thick to allow for full panty coverage and also comfortable enough to survive 8 hrs of travel in. I also recommend the Brooks PureProject Seamless Tank II. It’s really stretchy (I’m wearing the regular medium and it had no problem covering the bump) and also really comfortable.

I arrived it to Seattle around noon, met up with the rest of the crew, and headed straight to the fancy, schmancy brand new Brooks Running headquarters.

20150612_123913

20150612_124216

Umm… hello gorgeous view! Can you imagine having the option to work/eat/play outside with this view every single day?! Amazing!

20150612_124700

Recognize anyone? The Brooks Blog Ambassador crew from left to right, Anne from fAnnetastic Food, Tina from Carrots ‘n’ Cake, Kristen from Fit Bottomed Girls, Emily from Daily Garnish, Jesica from rUnLadyLike, Janae from Hungry Runner Girl, Me, and Lora from Crazy Running Girl.

IMG_20150612_150906

We had the pleasure of dining outside with Brooks CEO, Jim Weber, while taking in the amazing view.

20150612_130212

From there we got a breakdown of what’s on the horizon for Brooks shoes and apparel. I’ll share more about what we learned in the coming months, but be on the lookout for a total apparel redesign for Fall 2015!

20150612_141623 20150612_142901

Also, snowflakes. Brooks knows the way to my heart. I will definitely be purchasing the Winter Vanguard when the seasonal Heritage collection is released on July 1.

20150612_132810 20150612_132804

We also got a full tour of the Brooks offices and learned more about the energetic, creative work environment that sparks the RunHappy movement. Everyone I’ve met who works for Brooks lives and breathes the brand and truly loves what they do. It seems like an incredible place to work and the offices are beaming with passionate, incredible individuals.

20150612_161409

We also had the pleasure of touring the lab and learning a little bit about what goes into testing (and retesting!) the shoes that end up on our feet.

20150612_155701 20150612_155711 20150612_155738

Brooks HQ is also the home of the first all-Brooks retail store, which also serves as the trailhead for the Burke-Gilman Trail. Runners on the trail are more than welcomes to stop in and grab a snack, drink, band-aid, or anything else a runner may need.

20150612_163134

We had he opportunity to do a quick warm-up and short shakeout run with Brooks Beast Deb Maier.

IMG_88481

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if it was due to traveling or sitting all day, but I had some issues with the short run. Not even a quarter mile in I started having some serious tightness with my bump. It was the first time I’ve had any issues with running while pregnant and it frankly scared the crap out of me. I tried to run with the group, but ended up bailing halfway and needing to turn around and walk the rest of the way back (major props to Emily and Lora for walking with me!).

The tightness did make me a little nervous for the next day’s race, but I decided to simply play it by ear and not to worry about it. The tightness went away when I started walking, which made me feel better. I knew I could always walk the 8K or pull out completely if needed.

I picked up my bib at the expo and kept a smile on my face.

20150612_183309

I even found a onesie for Baby R to commemorate baby’s first race. This is actually the first piece of clothing that I’ve bought for Baby R all pregnancy.

20150612_184229

We did some serious carb loading at Serious Pie that night.

20150612_193638 20150612_194527

I may not have been running as far as everyone else, but I sure ate like I did. Everything was the kale salad to the creative pizzas was amazing. I highly recommend the potatoe pizza, lots of flavor and a great chewy texture.

20150612_204406

20150612_211205

After a solid day of traveling, exploring, and eating; I crashed as soon as I got back to the hotel that night. I had another early wake-up call and a race to rest up for.

Good night!

1 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust June 15, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Meghann, the tightness you were experience during your run might have been Braxton-Hicks contractions. It is common to start getting them during the second trimester and while exercising. I have been experiencing them on and off during my runs lately. When I talked to my doctor about them he said if the Braxton-Hicks contractions are painless, irregular and stop when you stop exercising, they should not have a negative impact on the pregnancy. But, if the contractions become painful, regular and do not stop when you stop exercising, it may be a sign that something else is going on. Most importantly – make sure you stay hydrated. I’m guess that’s what it was. 🙂 Glad they stopped when you stopped and walked.
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Settling Into Our New Home

2 Linda @ The Fitty June 15, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I LOVE hearing your travel adventures, seeing the pictures make me feel like I traveled with you too. Keep writing 🙂
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..3 Habits to Try to Create:

3 Jesica @rUnladylike June 15, 2015 at 10:25 pm

What a fun weekend! So glad we got to hang out so much! I didn’t realize you experienced that tightness and I am so glad it went away. I’m sure that was a little scary even if there was a perfectly normal reason. Looking forward to the rest of your recap 🙂
Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..2015 Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Half Marathon Race Weekend {in 10 Words}

4 Sabrina Alexandra June 15, 2015 at 11:42 pm

What an awesome experience and opportunity! I really hope to get out to Seattle and run the 8k next year.
Sabrina Alexandra recently posted..What I’m Loving Friday

5 Lora @ Crazy Running Girl June 15, 2015 at 11:50 pm

It was SO awesome meeting you this weekend!! Such an incredible and inspiring experience. I am so happy that you got the pictures of the snowflake in the shoe, btw, I didn’t see that and LOVE it!! How adorable is the onesie too! 🙂
Lora @ Crazy Running Girl recently posted..A weekend adventure with Brooks

6 Goldie June 16, 2015 at 3:09 am

Oh Meghann – you look so happy and it’s just lovely to see 🙂 pregnancy suits you so well.

Adorable onesie! Very fitting xx
Goldie recently posted..QUESTION:How did you choose your baby’s name?

7 Katie June 16, 2015 at 7:19 am

When I read this my first reaction was … Braxton-Hicks! Everything Kristen mentioned above is spot-on. Mention it to your OB at your next visit, but normally they are nothing to worry about, just a really odd sensation sometimes.
Glad you had a fun trip, I can’t wait to read about your race!

8 Elizabeth Beil June 16, 2015 at 8:21 am

Brooks looks like the coolest place ever! I love that statue! Looks like a busy but super fun weekend!!

9 EB @ Running on E June 16, 2015 at 8:26 am

What a cool experience and awesome workspace at Brooks. Glad the tightness was only for a short time!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..May Recap

10 Sheena @ Paws and Pavement June 16, 2015 at 9:10 am

Looks like a fun and busy weekend! Glad you listened to your body and walked when needed. I’m not pregnant but I had to take some walk breaks on yesterdays run to ensure I finished. Good job!
Sheena @ Paws and Pavement recently posted..Locks of Love

11 Meghan @RunningKentuck June 16, 2015 at 9:14 am

Brooks is the best brand in the land!!! I am so happy that you got this opportunity! It’s awesome!
Meghan @RunningKentuck recently posted..5 Fitness Myths Debunked

12 Laura June 16, 2015 at 9:21 am

At the end of my 19th week I experienced my first twinge of pain when running with the bump. It was right below my belly button and was in only one spot, hard to describe the feeling though. As soon as I walked it went away, I’d run a little more and it would come back, then I’d walk some. A few days later my belly muscles felt really sore over the bump. Talked to my doc and she said it was round ligament pain from the baby growing. After that one episode it hasn’t happened again.
Laura recently posted..Meal Planning

13 Melissa June 16, 2015 at 9:30 am

This does look like an incredible trip! I’ve never worn Brooks shoes before, but I love their look and they seem like they would be super comfortable!
Melissa recently posted..With this Ring: Hallmark-Inspired Evenings!

14 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub June 16, 2015 at 9:51 am

That Brooks store looks amazing! I would be so inspired coming to work everyday. I wish I got a chance to go to Serious pie, I heard its amazing.
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..Eating My Way Through Seattle

15 Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood June 16, 2015 at 12:12 pm

First, you look AMAZING momma! Rock that belly! Next, looks like an amazingtrip! Definitely jealous! I love the bathroom signs at Brooks!!
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted..I’m Joining the Summer Shape Up 2015

16 Laura June 16, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Such an awesome trip. I love Brooks running shoes. It must be such a neat experience to be a brand ambassador! I am on my second pair of Brooks and you’re totally right. I am hooked! I will never buy another running shoe. 🙂
Laura recently posted..Monday’s five things

17 kristin | W [H] A T C H June 16, 2015 at 3:26 pm

this looks like such a fabulous weekend! so fun to have a weekend away with a great group of women. also, those pizzas look insanely good. look forward to hearing more.
kristin | W [H] A T C H recently posted..BY WATER: KENAI FJORDS IN ALASKA

18 Maria June 18, 2015 at 11:43 am

I’m almost 5 months pregnant and whenever I run, no matter the distance/weather/etc…I carry a handheld Nathan water bottle with me. It keeps me hydrated and helps me feel better. That pizza place looks awesome!
Maria recently posted..Rock N Sole Run: 5k Recap

19 Crissi June 24, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Just found your blog via NROLFW. I just started stage 1. According to your original measurements, we are “about” the same size- not disclosing weight. ???? I have two questions- how many calories did you eat during this time- your resting cals or more? I can’t figure out where to be. I’ve been at 1200 for so long I know my metabolism has all but shut down. I would like to drop about 10 more pounds and can’t decide whether to eat a deficit or eat back my calories burned. Also, did you notice your run times improve while lifting? I’m also a runner and planning my first half marathon. I’m hoping lifting makes me stronger and have more endurance.
Thanks in advance and congratulations on Baby R.