Pregnancy: Week 21

by Meghann on May 31, 2015

We made it to 21 weeks! Baby R is now the size of a carrot.

21 weeks

She’s definitely becoming more active with each passing week. I’m starting to distinguish between rolls and punches/kicks. I keep trying to catch one of her kicks from the outside so Derek can feel, but as soon as I get his attention she stops. I think we still have a few more weeks before you can really feel her from the outside, but we’re still hoping.

I haven’t really been craving sweets this pregnancy, it’s been more salty/ greasy meals. However; this week I’ve found myself lusting after more dessert-type items. I went a little crazy at Publix today (who sends a pregnant lady to grocery shop on her own? that’s just asking for trouble) and came home with a half gallon of ice cream, a Snickers, and a jumbo pack of Twizzlers. My sweet tooth was roaring!

My boss and I started planning my maternity leave this week. It still feels so early, but we need to create plans A, B, & C in case I go into labor early or something happens and I’m unable to travel. As it is, I’m already missing two events this season and if something happens (knock on wood!) there’s a chance I could miss all of them. Having our first initial talk really made everything seem so real. I love my job and I love my work, so having to let some of my responsibilities go is already giving me anxiety.

Finally, Derek and I started piecing the nursery together this week. I cleaned the closet out on Saturday (we were using it for storage), then we bought a dresser at Ikea and picked up some paint samples.

nursery color samples

I really love navy and would love to do a navy accent wall and grey for the remaining walls. We painted some samples and plan to sit on it for the next week. I’ve been popping my head in the room every few hours and the “Royal Navy” is already growing on me. I can’t wait to see the finish product in a few weeks. Derek is planning to paint while I’m in Seattle in June.

I think that’s it for this week. Oh, besides the fact that my bladder has shrunk to the size of a poppy seed. I was not expecting that so early. I basically have to pee every half hour. If it’s that bad now, I can only imagine how bad it will be in the third trimester. I’m lucky the restroom is a close straight shot from my cubicle!

1 Mrs. Swan May 31, 2015 at 9:12 pm

How funny! I was on your blog not even 10 minutes ago seeing if there were any new baby posts. My little guys are older now (7 and 10) so I can sit back and enjoy your pregnancy with you and my memories. You are such a cute mommy to be! For some weird reason I keep having dreams about you so I feel like I know you even though you have no clue who I am. Haha (Yes, I know that sounds creepy LMAO You are the sweet friend that I want to spend time with in my dreams that include you)

2 The Many Thoughts of a Reader May 31, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I love the gray and navy together! Then add some pops of hot pink with other accessories.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Stitch Fix #7!

3 Cecilia @ MommiesRun May 31, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Navy and gray are so pretty! You are looking so great!
Cecilia @ MommiesRun recently posted..Sunday GYST VII

4 Tracy @ dirtyeating.com May 31, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Crazy that someone the size of a carrot can cause so much movement and change! 🙂

I love the paint colors – navy and gray are so pretty together, and will go well with pretty much anything you put in the nursery!
Tracy @ dirtyeating.com recently posted..Workout, Eat, Headache, Repeat

5 Erica [email protected]} May 31, 2015 at 10:33 pm

It was pure luck that my husband could feel any kicks at 21 weeks. Now that I’m at 26 he feels them all the time! One day last week he laid his head down on my stomach to see if he could hear anything and the baby started punching him in the ear.
Erica [email protected]} recently posted..Healthy Pregnancy Snacks (that actually taste good)

6 Sabrina Alexandra May 31, 2015 at 10:51 pm

I am with the others, I love the navy and gray! Such a gorgeous but neutral combo. Lots of options for you to play with as she grows.
Sabrina Alexandra recently posted..Opening Thoughts

7 Linda @ The Fitty May 31, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Does the rolling and kicking wake you up at night?
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..PROM PART 2 — THE PARTY & SHE KISSED ME

8 Ash Diamond June 1, 2015 at 8:53 am

Those colors will be GORGEOUS!! I’m glad they are planning for your maternity leave sooner vs later!
Ash Diamond recently posted..Sunshine and Blue Sky

9 Anna June 1, 2015 at 9:34 am

I am excited to see how the nursery turns out. I am not pregnant nor am I close to being pregnant (doing a full IM in October first) but I have my nursery already planned out using navy as well and I want to see how other nurseries look in that color.

10 Kim June 1, 2015 at 10:06 am

Make sure you secure the dresser to the wall so it can’t tip.

11 Anne June 1, 2015 at 11:35 am

Does Derek’s work offer any paternity leave?

12 Heather June 1, 2015 at 11:48 am

I know that you didn’t ask for paint suggestions, but I will offer some anyway as someone who just painted every room in our house, including some you are interested in. 🙂

We did a navy dining room. We used Hale Navy, and I love it. It’s a very rich, deep navy. Would look wonderful as an accent. I also painted the nursery Pale Oak, which is a great neutral shade. We did the closet in that room a deep jade green and kept the doors off so you can see it. And finally, our bedroom is Gray Owl, which is a great pale grey. Have fun. Oh, all colors – Benjamin Moore.

13 Liz June 1, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Oh, the peeing!!! It is hard to believe it will get worse, but it will! I went a week overdue and for the last 3 weeks or so of pregnancy I would sometimes literally pee, stand up, and then sit back down to pee again. You know the good part about it though? By the time you have the baby you will be happy to endure the sleepless nights in exchange for not having to pee so much anymore!! 🙂

14 Katie K. June 1, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I’m excited for your colors! Coincidentally, navy and grey are what my fiance and I picked for our wedding. With bits of pink.

15 Rachel June 14, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Paint colors are killing me! I bought so many samples of paint. I think I finally like one but need to see what Eric thinks. My biggest piece of painting advice is to always buy samples, paint can look so different from the swatch to the wall and even in different rooms. If you want, we have 11(!) grey paint samples from when we did our living room and dining room that you and Derek are welcome to if you want them.
I emailed my HR about my maternity leave and they haven’t gotten back to me yet. My boss (who I’ve never met) also didn’t respond to my email telling him. At least my local supervisors seem to care. My company actually offers me 3 weeks paid before I have to use my sick time/short term disability so I definitely want to make sure I get all the right paperwork in.
Looking forward to our little girls having play dates in the near future. It’s going to be October in the blink of an eye!