Pregnancy: Week 20

by Meghann on May 25, 2015

We made it to the halfway point! 20 weeks! Baby R is now the size of a banana!.

20 weeks

Do I look like I’ve “popped?” I think this week’s photo is a little deceiving. I took it after a lunch of wings and curly fries. The bump always looks bigger after a good meal. 😉

We had our big anatomy scan this week. My parents were able to sit-in on the appointment, which added to the excitement, especially since my dad was also able to Facetime with Derek during the good parts.

Good news – Baby R is still a girl. I’m also getting used to referring to her in female pronouns. I was so conditioned to gender neutral statements that it took some time to break that habit. Now it’s all about the little miss and whatever she is up to.

The anatomy scan was the most in depth ultrasound we’ve had yet. We got to focus in on the baby’s brain, heart, bones, stomach, and her placenta. Our little rolly polly was all over the place and very active in utero. The ultrasound tech asked me if I could feel any of the rolls, but not yet. However, I’m getting some strong kicks (or punches based off of where she is currently positioned).

Everything looked great in the scan, minus the placement of the cord which will be monitored for precautionary measures. Unfortunately we weren’t able to get a cute a profile snapshot, but we did get creepy skeleton face. I’m told she looks like her dad, thoughts?

20 week ultrasound

Over the long holiday weekend baby girl and I (and the rest of the Anderson clan) took a much needed vacation at our favorite place, North Captiva Island.

20 week beach bump

It was fun to rock the bikini baby bump. And on the way over I had my first “are you expecting?” encounter. Actually, it was the co-captain of the boat who asked Derek if we were expecting. Turns out his wife is also 20 weeks along with their first baby girl, so he was just as excited as we were to talk baby.

I can’t tell you how nice it was to relax on the beach for a few days. I know we just left, but is it too early to go back?

I’ve also started doing that thing where I rub my belly all the time. I always wondered why pregnant women did that, but now that I’m pregnant I can’t stop. I constantly find myself rubbing or resting my hand on it. Maybe it’s a comfort thing? Anyone else have this tendency?

I added a pregnancy page to the menu bar. Click here to look back at all my pregnancy posts

1 Linda @ The Fitty May 25, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Haha, rub away! It’s only for 9 months that you get to do this.
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Prom Part 1 – THE SECRET REVEAL

2 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 25, 2015 at 8:24 pm

You are looking fabulous, Meghann. Gotta love rockin’ the baby bump in a bikini. I’m glad to hear that your baby girl is healthy – that appointment is always one of the most important. I am almost 24 weeks and find myself resting my hand or hands on my belly all the time, especially in the evening when I am relaxing. I feel like it is my way of communicating with the baby and letting him know that I am there. 🙂
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Paradise Found in Mexico’s Isla Holbox

3 Megan May 25, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I am 20 weeks this week too, and have our big anatomy scan on Friday! Can’t wait to find out what’s in there! I run my belly too sometimes, absently. It’s a strange thing, pregnancy!

4 stacy May 26, 2015 at 3:09 am

You look so awesome!!! Seriously fabulous. Never doubt yourself for a second. You are beautiful!
stacy recently posted..All the News That’s Fit to Blog!

5 Bets May 26, 2015 at 6:36 am

You look so great and happy on the beach, I’m jealous of your beautiful weather! I do the pregnancy belly rub all the time too, its almost second nature.

6 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 26, 2015 at 8:29 am

I just left the beach and I feel the same way. Fortunately I’m going back to a different beach this weekend. #spoiled

You look adorable <3

7 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 26, 2015 at 10:14 am

You look wonderful! Way to rock the baby bump.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

8 Goldie May 26, 2015 at 10:24 am

you look fabulous in a bikini! You’ve definitely popped (just wait… the poppng doesn’t end for a while!)

You look absolutely radiant with happiness… and so you should.

Now… can I get away with putting on my bikini at 28 weeks… hmmm…!xx

Ps. always got a hand on the bump… makes typing at work tricky but I don’t want to miss an kicks or thumps. they are so precious!
Goldie recently posted..Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy…

9 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life May 26, 2015 at 2:43 pm

You look so great!! And I’m super impressed with you for rocking it out in a bikini. I was so self-conscious during weeks 17-25 because I didn’t quite feel like I had a legit bump to rock! But I’m totally with you on the belly rubbing thing. I never understood why pregnant women did that all the time, but especially once he started kicking me, I noticed that I was constantly touching my belly! So weird! It’s like a reflex!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..I have a Pitch Perfect Problem {Weekend Recap}

10 Stacey May 26, 2015 at 3:29 pm

You look so adorable! Rock it, girl!
I’m surprised that you had a “are you expecting” comment. I’m always so, so, SO cautious of ever doing that (I wait for the woman to tell me first — even if she’s like 42 weeks with twins haha) that I just figured everyone else is as cautious as I am.
Stacey recently posted..Speedwork on Syrup

11 Amanda May 26, 2015 at 6:11 pm

You look PHENOMENAL! Here’s hoping I look that fabulous when I’m 20 weeks pregnant!

12 Sheena @ Paws and Pavement May 26, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Such a cute picture of you rockin’ the bump in a bikini, love the hat too!
Sheena @ Paws and Pavement recently posted..Loon Lake Backpacking Trip

13 Nicola May 27, 2015 at 3:29 am

Is there a reason why your husband hasn’t bothered his ass to attend any appointments?

14 Meghann May 27, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Derek was at the 16 week appointment for our gender reveal. He has to use PTO to attend doctor appointments, so he’s only going to be able to attend a couple.

15 Dottie (@crazyfitmommy) May 27, 2015 at 10:07 am

My baby is 3 months old and I still find myself resting my hand where my bump used to be lol — I guess it’s hard to get used to baby being on the outside 😛
Dottie (@crazyfitmommy) recently posted..Happy Memorial Day!

16 Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy May 28, 2015 at 8:32 am

The best is when you get towards the end of pregnancy, and you can start using the bump as a shelf, hehe. Comes in handy for ice cream!
Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy recently posted..The Ravenous Baby: 14 Weeks

17 Lindsay June 2, 2015 at 6:47 am

My boss did it constantly. Unfortunately when she was pregnant, I was having infertility issues so her coming into my office, her belly at my face height (when sitting in a chair) and her rubbing it, made me feel very angry & sad, like she was rubbing it in my face. When I got pregnant, I never once got the urge to rub my belly. Maybe because of my situation knowing that there might be someone out there that hurts like I did.