Do you know what’s fun? Picking blueberries.
I was browsing u-pick blueberry places online last week and found a farm that was having an end-of-season sale north of Tampa. Everything must go! Rock bottom prices! Sold! I texted my friend Sarah and we decided to make a day of.
The bushes were pretty picked through, but we managed to get a couple of buckets worth. And it was a steal. $5 for both buckets! It was the last day of their season, so they were practically giving the berries away. We didn’t argue.
I knew immediately what I wanted to make – blueberry pie! And since Derek’s favorite dessert is blueberry pie, I decided to take a stab at a gluten free version. I used an old recipe for a blueberry pie and switched out the original graham cracker crust for a Vanilla Chex Cereal crust. It was an easy (and delicious) gluten free swap that no one ever questions. (p.s. this isn’t a sponsored post – heck I went to the store and bought the box of cereal myself! – I just wanted to share.)
Gluten Free Blueberry Pie
- 1 1/2 c Vanilla Chex Cereal crumbs
- 1/2 c melted butter
- 1/8 c water
- 3 c fresh blueberries
- 7 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2/3 c sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Combine Vanilla Chex Cereal crumbs, butter and water. Press into pie plate and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Rinse blueberries.
- Combine the 2/3 cup sugar, 7 tablespoons of corn starch, ¼ teaspoon of allspice, 4 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl and mix well
- Pour blueberries into pie crust.
- Pour the mixture of sugar, juice, etc. into the pie all over the blueberries.
- Bake 375F for 1 hour or until golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Serve with cool whip!