Pregnancy: Week 18

by Meghann on May 11, 2015

We’ve hit 18 weeks! Baby R is now the size of a sweet potato.

18 weeks

The question of the week seems to be, “Can you feel the baby moving yet?” The answer is no. All of the research I’ve done seems to indicate that first-time moms can expect to feel baby kicks anywhere between 16 weeks and 23 weeks. Talk about a long window! So now I have a new obsession to zone in on – every time I feel anything in my bump region, I immediately try to decipher if it’s the baby or just gas. Probably just gas. Definitely just gas. (p.s. not to be TMI, but holy crap does pregnancy make me gassy!) I’ve been told when it’s the baby, I’ll just know – there won’t be any question about it.

When did you first feel your baby kick?

I had the biggest craving for Five Guys last week. I saw a photo of someone’s burger and fries on Instagram and IT WAS ALL I WANTED. This boggled my husband’s mind because I don’t even like Five Guys. It’s usually too greasy for my taste and really nothing special. However, last week it was A-MA-ZING. Probably the best thing I’d eaten in a while and I’d eat another one right here and now if it was placed in front of me. Actually, that sounds like a really awesome idea. Does Five Guys deliver? They definitely should.

Surprisingly I haven’t really been craving sweets, it’s mainly been salty items like the Five Guys burger or chicken wings or pigs in a blanket – basically anything you would find on the standard bar menu. The baby likes grease, meat, and carbs – just like her dad.

Another big development is chafing. Again, probably TMI, but this is how I roll. I’ve gone up three cup sizes and my boobs currently feel ginormous. I hate it.  I wore a pretty basic sports bra while walking around Downtown Disney on Saturday and the indention between my cleavage started chafing. I had no idea that was even possible! The sports bra was pretty tight, which I think was the real issue, but ow! Lesson learned. I need to get some new sports bras (in the proper size) asap.

That’s it for this week. We’ll have to see what week 19 brings!

1 Lauren May 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I felt gas flutters which I was not sure were movements for the LONGEST time until maybe 20 weeks or after even!! You are looking so great and I love reading your weekly updates!!! Congratulations! 🙂

2 Linda @ The Fitty May 11, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Are you and hubby high school sweethearts?
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..My PromPosal Story

3 Meghann May 12, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Nope, we met in college.

4 Stephanie May 11, 2015 at 9:03 pm

New bras will serve you well post partum too. I am normally a 36b and bought 38d when I was preggo and nursing. Now that I am back in my 36b I cant even remember. ..but anyway I waited a long time to size up and shouldn’t have. Also if youre thinking about nursing you could get nursing bras in your new size for then. I liked targets gillian and omalley and madela.

5 Allison May 11, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I think I had to buy new size bras (including sports bras) 2 different times during this last pregnancy, plus nursing bras for post partum. It’s definitely worth the investment to feel comfortable. Don’t get nursing bras yet if you plan to BF, trust me they will get even bigger then!!

I felt 2 of my babies move around 16 weeks, but not until 20 with this last one. I had an “anterior placenta”, which supposedly muffles the early feeling of movement? As someone who had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks (between my 1st and 2nd births), once I started feeling that movement regularly, it is such a relief! I bet it will any day now you will start feeling the flutters! 🙂

6 Heidi May 11, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I didn’t feel either of mine move until 22 weeks. It seemed like it took forever! But with both boys, as soon as they started, I knew for sure. It was one of my favorite parts of pregnancy, even when they kept me up at night. So cool to feel (and later see) them moving around!

7 Johanna May 11, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I felt my first flutters at 17 weeks or so and at week 20 I was able to see movement and kicks from the outside. I was shocked because I had an anterior placenta. For some reason she really moved a lot right when I would get out of the pool. So keep an eye out when you are done swimming lol ( FYI she loves the water now, go figure)

8 Anne May 11, 2015 at 11:11 pm

I felt some flutters between 18 and 19 weeks. It took me a few times to decide that it was actually the baby. If you have an anterior placenta, you might not feel it until later. Also, my husband felt the baby around 23 or 24 weeks. It was awesome!

I’ve found my pregnancy cravings to be highly suggestable. I would see a commercial for Olive Garden, and need to go have soup and breadsticks for dinner that night. Five Guys sounds delicious right now!

9 Georgia May 11, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Am currently a bit over 25 weeks and starting feeling strong movements from bub bang on the 18 week mark. I have a posterior placenta, so that’s a fairly normal time (anterior can take much longer). I’m sure you’ll feel the wee ninja soon!
Re: bras – get yourself some good maternity ones ASAP. While they’re not the most flattering, they are soooo much more comfortable! 🙂
Georgia recently posted..Kyoto

10 Morgan May 11, 2015 at 11:31 pm

When I was preggo, I wanted ALL the greasy burgers. Shake Shack was MY JAM. As for bras, I went through 3 sizes before caving and buying a nursing/maternity bra. (Motherhood Maternity makes a nursing sports bra which at 11 months PP i still wear all the time. They come in S/M/L so they grow with you more, and they are the comfiest nursing bra ever. )
Morgan recently posted..Best of the Weekend, Mother’s Day

11 Jessica May 12, 2015 at 12:18 am

With my first I felt ONE movement at 18 weeks and then nothing until I was 20 weeks along. My second baby I didn’t feel anything until 22 weeks. I was always so envious of mommas that felt movement early. 🙂

12 Goldie May 12, 2015 at 4:17 am

I have an anterior placenta (annoying!) so it took longer to feel but its true. you will know when it happens! I was 22-23 weeks and the little thuds actually moved my dress. It was amazing. I can’t wait till you feel it and it will make you feel so reassured. Just hang in there and don’t get anxious.
Goldie recently posted..A sense of calm…

13 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 12, 2015 at 7:10 am

I’m 25 weeks now, and I first felt the baby move around 17 weeks, with kicks getting much stronger around 19-20 weeks. Everyone is so different, though! For example, I want nothing to do with grease and meat — give me all of the fruit and sugar!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Mother’s Day 2015

14 Natalie May 12, 2015 at 8:28 am

If you think your boobs are getting big now – wait until your milk comes in! Holy moly!

I started feeling my baby kick starting around 20 or so weeks. Don’t worry, you’ll know 🙂

15 Lauren May 12, 2015 at 8:32 am

Mine didn’t feel like flutters – more like champagne bubbles but I only noticed it a handful of times. I think I felt them around week 18 or so but the definite kicks came around week 22. With my daughter, I craved salty foods and really had no desire for sweets (though normally I love me some ice cream!). Congrats again on this baby, she will be so loved!

16 Katie May 12, 2015 at 8:56 am

Had my first – a girl! – last year. It’s so wonderful, and I’m so happy to be reading about your coming little one! I first felt her, where I KNEW it was her, at 19 weeks 2 days. I felt something, so I held my hand there and waited and then felt it from the outside! Then I had my husband do the same, and he could also feel the little kick. I’m smiling as I type this, I was a really anxious pregnant woman, but there was something so simple and lovely about relaxing on our bed at the end of the day waiting for baby kicks.

17 Jamie May 12, 2015 at 10:07 am

Glad to hear you’re doing so well! Congrats again! : )
Jamie recently posted..Tried It Tuesday

18 Tracy @ dirtyeating.com May 12, 2015 at 11:15 am

Five Guys used to be so amazing all the time – I grew up near the original one, before it became a chain, and I would wait in line for an hour to get one of their burgers! Now I agree with you, they’re mostly not worth it, though every once in a while I get a craving.
Tracy @ dirtyeating.com recently posted..Healthy Choice Meatball Marinara Review

19 Sara May 12, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I have an anterior placenta so I can’t feel the baby much. Just around my bikini line. Getting new bras will really help you feel more comfortable.
Sara recently posted..Pregnancy Update – Week 23

20 Melissa May 12, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I hated the bigger boobs too. And it only gets worse after the baby is born. After a couple months they calm down, but mine are stiller bigger than normal and I don’t expect them to go away until my daughter is done nursing. :-/
Melissa recently posted..Granny Joyce’s Roaring 20′s Birthday Party

21 Summer T. May 12, 2015 at 3:06 pm

With my first baby I felt the first kicks (flutters) laying on my side on the couch watching TV at night right at 19 weeks. It was unmistakable and I laughed out loud. I was just giddy. That was my favorite moment of all of my pregnancy! Get ready girl, it brings on a whole new level of bonding. Enjoy that girl while she is all yours before you have to share her with the world 😉
Summer T. recently posted..Weekend Update: Mommy’s Day

22 Stacey May 12, 2015 at 3:54 pm

You’re absolutely glowing!
Stacey recently posted..Big Time Girl Crush Nerd Alert!

23 E May 12, 2015 at 6:33 pm

I’m 21+1 today (first pregnancy) and I swear I started feeling flutters at 14wk! I convinced myself it was just gas but by 16wk I could feel her move everyday and by 17wk my husband could feel her when he put his hand on my belly too. Now she pretty much never stops which is very reassuring. Crazy early for a first pregnancy, but I do have a posterior placenta and lost a fair amount of fat mass due to severe nausea and vomiting (I’m still taking three anti-nauseants and occasionally feeling ill) so I think that must have contributed. She’s also a huge baby as per our anatomy scan!

I hope you get to feel yours soon!

24 Dana May 12, 2015 at 7:37 pm

So. This is WEIRD and TMI I know but Secret deodorant has been the best for chaffing. I don’t have the pregnant cause yet but running in shorts or boobs, works AWESOME.

25 Angie May 12, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I felt some flutters around 20 weeks, then around 22 weeks I started feeling kicks. But only at bedtime when I was laying flat. And not every night. Hubby didn’t really get to feel anything til 26 weeks. I’m 34 weeks now, and only in these last 2 weeks have I felt big kicks, rolls, hands, and at multiple times during the day. Took awhile, but the movements are obvious and visible from the outside now.

26 Jess May 13, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Didn’t feel any kicks until about 21 weeks or so. It was a very distinctive thumping feeling. My husband didn’t feel anything until about 26-28 weeks or so, it was very internal for a while.

27 Charlotte May 13, 2015 at 10:02 pm

It’s nice to hear i’m not the only one! i’m 18 weeks and haven’t felt the baby yet — it’s all i can think about! I’m dying for my next ultrasound just to make sure he or she is still kickin!

Can’t wait to feel those dang “flutters”

28 Megan May 14, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Loving the baby posts, and especially loving your healthy pregnancy!
I was about 18 or 19 weeks when I first felt Baby move. They say that if you haven’t felt it before, it’s often confused with gas, so you might be feeling Baby after all! From that gas feeling, it went to a fluttery butterfly feeling. I was so excited when I first felt a kick from the outside (maybe around the early 20s?). Now it feels like my middle has been replaced with a sack of cats! Declawed ones of course. It often looks like it too. 🙂 You and Derek might already be doing this, but Bruce reads to Baby at night, and she goes nuts when she hears his voice!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets cravings by suggestion. I never craved anything out of nowhere, but when I saw any appetizing food pics, it was ALL I wanted. Pinterest was a blessing and a curse during the second trimester.

You’re looking great! Looking forward to more updates!

29 Emily May 15, 2015 at 4:56 pm

I haven’t been on here for a little while Meghann, CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!
Emily recently posted..Thursdays are for Thinking and MEETING!

30 Trisha May 16, 2015 at 9:36 am

I think I felt mine kick at about 20ish weeks, maybe a little later. I know I was on the late side because my doctor kept asking, but when I did start feeling him, I felt him a lot. I know my husband first felt him on Christmas Eve which made me about 24 weeks.