Pregnancy: Week 17

by Meghann on May 4, 2015

Happy 17 weeks, Baby R! You are now the size of a pear.

17 weeks

The biggest pregnancy symptom the past week has been sleep… or should I saw lack of. I’m a stomach sleeper – always have been, always will be. My doctor gave me the all clear to continue sleeping on my stomach until it became uncomfortable. Right around the 15/16 weeks mark I started to feel the bump when I tried to lay on my stomach and made the decision it was time to start laying on my side. I tried it at cold turkey first, which was terrible. I couldn’t get comfortable and was waking up every few hours with the crazy inability to go back to sleep. I’ve always been a really hard sleeper who never had any issues going to sleep at night. For the first time in my life I’m suddenly battling insomnia. For a girl who is used to her 8+ hours of sleep every night, this was tough.

Also, I’m not sure if I mentioned this previously, but I completely gave up coffee around the 13 week mark. I used to drink 2-3 cups a day, but cut it back to one cup when I discovered I was pregnant. However, I quickly discovered that one cup was still too much for me. My heart began to beat really fast when ever I had caffeine. I’ve never had a problem with caffeine before, but for some reason the pregnancy made me extra sensitive to it. I spoke with my doctor and she agreed I should go with my gut instinct and cut caffeine out completely. So the mix of not being able to sleep and not being able to drink caffeine has really done a number on me.

I ordered a Snoogle last week to try and help with the sleep situation. I had already stolen a handful of pillows from the couch to try and assist in the comfort department, so why not add a huge, extra long pillow into the mix. I’d heard so many good things about the Snoogle and figured I’d give it a try. (FYI: I spent a little more money and ordered the Snoogle with the Jersey Knit covering – totally worth it.)

snoogle

The snoogle arrived and my husband thought the whole thing was pretty hilarious. He asked me why it worked and the truth is I have no idea, but for some reason it does. I am not a cuddler. I mean, I’m all for cuddling when it’s almost time to sleep, you’re in deep conversation, or it’s cold out, but when it comes time to actually sleep I’m all “give me my space!” It’s basically “good night,” roll over, and snooze. For that reason alone my husband wasn’t sure I would enjoy the Snoogle.

snoogle1
image via Amazon

However, there’s something about the Snoogle that just works. I think it gives me balance and almost mimics the comfort I miss from I sleep on my stomach. It really does make a huge difference. Even though I still have bouts of insomnia at night, it’s not as frequent and the Snoogle allows me to drift off a little quicker.

I posted a photo on Instagram when I first received the snoogle and had a few comments regarding how had the snoogle is on their head. I totally agree with this comment, but have discovered that putting one of my super soft down pillows under my head makes a huge difference. Also, as I mentioned above, I highly recommend the Jersey Knit covering. I’m really picky with pillow cases and bed sheets and thought the Jersey Knit was worth the additional upgrade.

maddie snoogle

The Snoogle is Maddie approved.

Derek and I did our first baby research trip this weekend just to “see what was out there.” Our nursery is currently an empty, blank canvas which is quickly filling up with small presents from friends & family. I’d love to get some furniture in there sooner rather than later so we can start putting stuff away. Of course, that also means painting the nursery and figuring out what we want to do with a theme. I’m currently leaning towards a navy/pink/gray color scheme with white furniture.

navy pink inspiration

(nursery inspiration)

Let’s just say our adventure was a little overwhelming. I don’t think it really hit us how much stuff we need (or how expensive all the stuff is!) until we went and saw most of it in person. We have a lot of work ahead of us! I also met a friend over the weekend who is almost as far along as I am who has already started looking at daycares, interviewing doulas, and so much more. Man, do I feel behind! The daycare part scares me more than anything, but I guess with a lot of places having 6 month waiting list for infant care, it’s better to start sooner rather than later. Gulp.

1 Linda @ The Fitty May 4, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Oh my gosh, I’m a total cuddler I need a snoogle!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Life Lately: Currently Edition {#LIPlinkup #23}

2 Melissa May 4, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I’m not a big snuggler, but the pregnancy pillow I had was so nice to support the belly. Especially as the belly grows, it will help keep your hips aligned. It was a lifesaver. And I’ve always slept well but did have random insomnia. I saw 3-5am more often than I would like!

3 Kate May 4, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Have someone with a baby help you register! A friend went with us and it was great, totally helped us focus on what we really needed.

4 Courtney! May 4, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Love the pink/navy/gray theme idea!
I’m so tempted to buy a snoogle for myself despite not being pregnant! The way you, PB Fingers, and Fitnessista have described it, I feel like I’m not really living life the right way without one 🙂 haha
Courtney! recently posted..Paris Recap Day 4: Paris Marathon!

5 Lorie May 4, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I felt the same way before my now-10-month-old was born! My advice after going through that infant stage is that you DONT need all the “stuff” that baby websites and registries and books say you need.

More importantly, buy the true necessities now but wait as long as you can for the other stuff and keep all your receipts! I ended up with so many things that 1) we didn’t end up using or 2) I wish I wouldve purchased POST-baby when I had more of an idea of how things needed to function best for us (case in point: the highly rated Skip Hop Duo diaper bag…looked cute, seemed like it had good organizational capabilities, but it has felt SO small and cramped since day one!)

It was way too easy as a first time mom to get caught up in what all the baby books and sites say you need! One book that was really useful was the Baby Bargains book. It made looking for those big baby gear items much more manageable!

6 stacy May 4, 2015 at 10:01 pm

The daycare waiting lists are so long where I live, that my friend told me to get on one the second I conceive (though we aren’t trying to conceive yet, lol). I hear from a lot of my friends with kids that you don’t “need” nearly as much as you are led to believe you do. Apparently a lot of it ends up not being so useful so register with restraint!

7 Carrie May 4, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Have you tried “half caff” coffee. Many brands sell it (Folgers, Seattles best, Green Mountain). It may help without making your heart race.
Good luck with the sleep and congrats!

8 Katie May 4, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I would try the Half caf americano from starbucks! I’m a huge coffee drinker too but with both pregnancies I cut out a lot of caffeine! Those seem to do the trick with a splash of cream 😉 Also I ask your mama friends for the best things to buy/avoid! (It’s so so overwhelming!) I ended up taking so many non-used items after my 1st!

9 Katie @ Live Half Full May 4, 2015 at 10:42 pm

I’m not a snuggler either but LOVE my pregnancy pillow! So comfy!
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Baby Prepping: May Goals

10 Becky May 4, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I LOVED my snoogle! I think it just helps prevent you from rolling over and gives you support so there’s less pressure on your body. Everything will get done, it seems so daunting but you’ll figure it out! Take care of you and baby girl!

11 Rachel May 5, 2015 at 3:23 am

I’m 25 weeks and we’ve just started getting baby things. I totally understand the overwhelming feeling! You’ve got loads of time yet and remember you only actually need the basics: car seat, somewhere for baby to sleep, some nappies/diapers, a few baby grows/onesies and some multi-purpose muslin cloths. Anything else is either nice to have and/or you can get along the way. (… apparently! It’s our first too, so just trying to keep some perspective whilst feeling clueless!)

12 Ash Diamond May 5, 2015 at 7:26 am

One of my friends had great luck joining a mom’s Facebook group as there were a number of mothers who sold things after they were done having kids. Maybe this could help reduce costs? I love the colors of the room! 🙂

13 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers May 5, 2015 at 7:51 am

The SNOOGLE! HECK YES. I swear by that pillow. It has honestly made a HUGE difference in my sleep while pregnant. So glad it’s helping you, too!!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..More Sarasota Weekend Highlights

14 Kay May 5, 2015 at 8:21 am

I know you said you hated it, but my sleep number bed was my best friend when I was pregnant. I loved being able to adjust the firmness while I had to sleep on my side. A too firm mattress was awful for my hips!
As for baby gear, I had my SIL who had an infant help me register and also read the book Baby Bargains to figure out what products were worth the money. I have been pretty satisfied with products I purchased as a result! My baby is 9 months now (just a couple weeks older than your sister’s baby).

15 Alice May 5, 2015 at 8:32 am

You don’t need nearly as much stuff as they make you think that you do. If you bought everything that they recommend, you’d need a separate house just for that. I took my best friend with me to register/shop instead of my husband and it was much easier hearing someone else’s opinion (who had already had kids) than the two of us thinking we needed all the things.

16 Laura May 5, 2015 at 8:57 am

We went on a hospital tour last week and were easily the earliest in the pregnancy at 14 weeks! haha. We had never been to the hospital though and wanted to be sure we felt comfortable with them before we committed to the dr’s group we’d been going to as they only deliver at that hospital. We learned about some great resources at the tour though and I’m glad we went early! There is a service which is like realtors for daycare. Just like when you are apartment/house hunting, they know great places to look, will set up appts for you, and even come to the appts with you at the daycare! And even better, it’s free to the Durham, NC county residents in my area! We are definitely planning to take advantage of this service for daycare!

17 Angie May 5, 2015 at 9:24 am

You look so cute for your 17 week pic!! I’m 17 weeks with you too! I was so happy when you announced b/c we are only a couple days apart!!
I’m on my second pregnancy, I think I might be having a girl this time around, and I already have one! I can tell you that I registered for SOO much with her and we got just about everything. What a mistake!! You definitely don’t need as much as they make you think! Any piece of advice I can give you — if you buy or register for any clothing, ask for 6-9, 9-12, 12-18 month clothing too!! Someone told me that and I was so thankful for that piece of advice b/c as she got older, we always had brand new clothes to put her in 🙂

18 Maria May 5, 2015 at 10:36 am

I hear you on the daycare anxiety! We have a one month old and I keep telling myself that something will work out and we’ll be off a waitlist come August (fingers crossed!). Also, highly highly recommend Craigslist or a local mom’s listserv for used gear! We got our snap and go, 4moms mommaroo and a bunch of other expensive stuff for way less and it’s in great condition! Joining the mom’s listsev was invalua ble – most of them are through yahoo mail if you want to search for some. Best of luck!

19 Liz May 5, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Not sure if you guys are Costco members, but it’s a great resource for nursery furniture. Even if you aren’t members, if you have friends who are you can use their member number to order online. We got a very high quality set on Costco.com that included a crib that converts to a toddler AND full size bed plus a dresser with a removable changing table top for about $1,000. We also got a really great Dutalier glider that both reclines and rocks for about $500. Still a good chunk of change but it was way more reasonable than what we had seen elsewhere, especially for the quality of the furniture. Plus we won’t have to get a new bed even after the toddler stage! We also got an organic crib mattress for $100.

20 ChristineB May 5, 2015 at 12:13 pm

As the mom of 3 I can attest to the fact that even though there is SO MUCH baby stuff out there, and some of it is nice to have, a huge portion of it is completely unnecessary. And you never know what your baby is going to like, anyway. You need someplace safe for them to sleep. Something safe for them to travel in. Clothes and diapers to keep them warm and clean. A way to feed them. Everything else is pretty much extra. And ask 10 moms and you’ll get 10 different answers on what are must haves. In the beginning focus on the most important basics but don’t stick up to much on things like diapers. Different brands work better for different babies. And size and how fast they grow make a big impact too. My youngest was too big for newborn diapers on day 1 and didn’t stay in stage 1 for very long either. Unless you are cloth diapering, of course.

Trust your instincts. Take time to figure out what works for your family and go with it. My boys hated the swing but loved the bouncy seat, for example.

21 Jill May 5, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Pregnancy is one of the most subjective things I’ve ever experienced, so pleeeeeease feel free to disregard this advice, but…

The only things I actually needed when I first had my baby were diapers, wipes, a few onesies (he was born on New Year’s Eve, but spent most of his time in onesies and blankets), and I WISH I had thought to purchase some formula, because I had no idea that breastfeeding wouldn’t work for us. We didn’t get a rocker or glider, we changed him (and still do) on the dryer or the floor, and he slept in his carseat for the first six months because he was so much happier there than in the bassinet. My point is to do whatever works for you! Get whatever makes you feel more prepared, more excited, happier, whatever you want. But the very basics will absolutely get you through the first little while with your wee one.

22 Rachael May 5, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I love this – I’m 20 weeks along and the only thing we’ve purchased so far are gender neutral used baby clothing. I’ve been gifted a few baby carriers and a baby blanket so far, but not looking to get much more just yet – a Pack n Play, a car seat, and some cloth diapers is pretty much it. We’re transient at the moment (moving in the next few months) and in a 1 bedroom so not looking to acquire too many more things – I find peace with less possessions anyway so we’re looking to pare down. The idea of a nursery stresses me out (more things + more space = more cleaning + more $$) – the baby needs your love, some clothes and diapers. Everything else is a bonus! 🙂

23 Jess May 6, 2015 at 6:47 am

I liked amalah’s registry guidelines. http://alphamom.com/pregnancy/ultimate-baby-registry-checklist/

Also, you can buy things secondhand via craigslist or consignment

24 Amy @ Elephant Eats May 6, 2015 at 9:29 am

I’ve been a lurker for quite a while but thought I’d stop in to say hi 🙂 I’ve been following your pregnancy journey and I’m so so happy for you!! You totally have plenty of time to get everything for your baby, but if you need some help I spent hours creating the ULTIMATE Clueless Pregnant Lady’s Baby Registry Guide . It’s exactly what I needed when I was pregnant but couldn’t find! I think/hope you’ll find it helpful and take some stress away…and just remember, most websites have 2 day delivery 😉
Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted..The ULTIMATE Clueless Pregnant Lady’s Baby Registry Guide!

25 Amy @ Elephant Eats May 6, 2015 at 9:32 am

I’ve been a lurker for quite a while but thought I’d stop in to say hi! I’ve been following your pregnancy journey and I’m so so happy for you!! You totally have plenty of time to get everything for your baby, but if you need some help I spent hours creating the ULTIMATE Clueless Pregnant Lady’s Baby Registry Guide . It’s exactly what I needed when I was pregnant but couldn’t find! I think/hope you’ll find it helpful and take some stress away…and just remember, most websites have 2 day delivery 😉

26 Jessica @Myhealthypassion.com May 6, 2015 at 11:13 am

That snoogle looks amazing! I have heard so many people talk about it….I am not pregnant but I kinda want one lol!
Jessica @Myhealthypassion.com recently posted..Five Top Reasons I love Group Fitness

27 Stephanie May 10, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I love the navy/pink/gray scheme for a baby girl’s nursery. 🙂
Stephanie recently posted..Long Week