Pregnancy Week 16 (It’s a…)

by Meghann on April 28, 2015

It’s a girl!

16 weeks

I can’t tell you how excited Derek and I were to discover that we’re having a girl this week! I’ve had an inkling since around 8 weeks that it might be a girl, and both my mother and mother-in-law have been saying girl since the moment they discovered we were expecting. In fact, my mom kept referring to Baby R with female pronouns when we were at Disney the other week.

My doctor’s office doesn’t typically do ultrasounds at the 16 week appointment, but due to the D&C I had last August, they scheduled one to check on my cervix, which was purely precautionary. Since we were already having the extra ultrasound, I was crossing my fingers and toes that we’d be able to take a peek at the sex and brought Derek with me just in case.

We were called right back to the ultrasound room and I was immediately asked to take my pants off. What? I thought I had graduated from the transvaginal ultrasound (aka the “dildo cam” as I like to call it). Unfortunately that’s the best way to measure the cervix, so I took my pants off and ignored my husband’s whispered sarcastic comments as the tech prepped for the ultrasound.

After taking a few quick measurements of my cervix (FYI: everything looked good), she asked if we knew the sex yet. Nope. Did we want to find out? Hell yeah!

She zoomed in on our little bean’s bottom and, at first, I thought I was looking at a boy. There was something there that looked a heck of a lot like a little penis. I kept thinking, wait, that’s not supposed to be there. This is a girl. I KNOW it’s a girl. But then the “penis” moved and the ultrasound tech moved a cursor over the spot letting us know that the “penis” was actually a cord. She then confirmed that it looked like we’re having a girl!

To be honest, it was sort of anti-climatic. Instead of getting really excited, I think both Derek and I had the “are you sure?” mentality. As if reading our minds, the ultrasound tech told us we would get another view to re-confirm. That’s when we switched to the abdominal view. You think this would be less awkward, but since I was still pant-less, all I had was a piece of paper covering me at this point and an ultrasound tech who was not shy on pulling it this way or that way to get the shot she wanted.

ultrasound 16 weeks

It still amazes me how much our little bean has grown in 4 weeks! We got great shots of the head, arms, legs, and body. It was the first time Derek has seen the bean and he was really amazed how you could see the little heart just beating away right on the screen.

Our tech saved the “money shot” for last and once again confirmed it was a girl. Derek and I were both all smiles, though I don’t think it really sunk in until the next day. We actually spent the evening googling ultrasound photos to compare our “girl’ photo to other girl or boy ultrasounds at 16 weeks. You can never be too sure, right?

I’ve had the idea of hosting a gender reveal party in the back of my mind for a couple of months, but was way too superstitious to confirm any plans until we had the ultrasound and everything looked good. How do people plan gender reveal parties so far in advance? What if something goes wrong? What if there are complications with determining the sex? Maybe I’m just extra cautious with my history, but I didn’t want to lock any plans down until we were 100% confident with everything.

Of course, once we had the appointment I couldn’t wait to have people over and began texting everyone immediately after. It was definitely an impromptu, casual get together and we are very fortunate to have so many friends and family who were able to agree with less than 24 hrs notice.

The party food consisted of every decadent item I was currently craving: buffalo wings, chips and velveta cheese dip, pigs in a blanket, veggies and hummus, and homemade cupcakes. It’s what I kept referring to as the pregnant lady’s buffet and it was amazing.

IMG_6526

When it came time for the reveal, Derek and I opened a box with two pink balloons inside.

IMG_6535 IMG_6536 IMG_6537 IMG_6539

It was so much fun to see everyone’s reactions when the balloons popped out. They were crying. I was crying. It basically turned into a big mush fest.

IMG_6541

We were even able to Facetime with family members who weren’t able to make it.

IMG_6528

The best part was after the news was shared, everyone broke out their swimsuits and we had our first official pool party since buying out house back in August. The water felt great, too!

20150425_151648

It was an amazing day filled with lots of love for our baby girl. I think all the celebrating is when it really hit us – we’re having a girl! And we couldn’t be more excited about it. 🙂

1 stacy April 28, 2015 at 9:17 pm

You look so cute in your maxi dress! Congrats. I’m so excited for you. I have a total “girl preference” if I ever have kids!
stacy recently posted..Building a Backyard from Scratch: The Prickliest Friends I Ever Met!

2 Johanna April 28, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Congratulations! I’m glad to hear everything is looking great and you were able to
find out you are having a little girl 🙂

3 Liz April 28, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Ohhh, a girl! Yay! You look so happy! Girls are so much fun! Granted I’m only 7 weeks into parenthood with my girl but I’m already having a blast, especially with the clothes. Girl clothes are the best!

I think we planned our gender reveal about a week in advance, but we didn’t find out the sex until the 20 week anatomy scan, so we were very confident they would be able to tell for sure by then. We actually had the u/s tech write it down and put it in an envelope, which I then took to a bakery and had them make gender reveal cupcakes. I couldn’t believe I resisted the temptation to look in the envelope, but somehow I did, and we were surprised along with our family at the party when we all but into the cupcakes and found pink frosting inside 🙂

4 Linda @ The Fitty April 28, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Haha oh my gosh i love hearing your inner thoughts. You’re funny! hope your baby girl gets all your humor from you 🙂
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..18th Birthday Wishlist + Giveaway! {#LIPlinkup #22}

5 Jen April 28, 2015 at 10:53 pm

I am just so freaking happy for you!!!
Jen recently posted..15 Women, 4 Oceans, 5 Continents, 38,739 Nautical Miles…Amazing Women Everywhere!

6 Jessica April 28, 2015 at 11:34 pm

With my first baby I KNEW at 7 weeks along that it was a boy. I just KNEW it. At our anatomy scan the gal at first said, “well, I don’t see anything so I think its a girl.” And I just laid there silent thinking, well, look again. And sure enough a few seconds later she said, “ooooh, wait a minute…its a BOY!” Lol.

My second I didn’t have a clue one way or the other and we ended up having a girl. Having one of each I can honestly say that both are SO wonderful and fun and such a blessing either way. Congrats, congrats, congrats!

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 28, 2015 at 11:36 pm

How exciting! Congratulations on your baby girl!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Pregnancy #2: Weeks 14, 15, 16

8 Morgan April 28, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Congratulations! You are so adorable, and I love your faces in the reveal! Enjoy this!
Morgan recently posted..Easiest Baby Cookies Ever

9 Mary April 29, 2015 at 12:46 am

Congratulations! I guessed correctly! You are very definitely showing a baby bump now and you look so very happy about it too!
I can never tell from scan photos what gender baby you are looking at. My husband and I have always said that we wouldn’t want to know but would want scan photos…I’m pretty certain that we’d still be as clueless with them as without!
Mary recently posted..VMLM this year as a spectator

10 Jamie April 29, 2015 at 9:23 am

Congrats! This is such an exciting time for you! Enjoy every second! Your blog is one of the first I started reading three years ago and I was inspired to start my own blog! Best of luck… Can’t wait to keep reading about your journey

11 Lauren April 29, 2015 at 5:43 pm

So very happy for you. Congratulations!

12 Lucia April 29, 2015 at 8:58 pm

You are so adorable! Where is your dress from? I’m in need of maternity dresses. 😉

13 Meghann April 30, 2015 at 8:30 pm

It was a hand me down from sister, unfortunately I’m not sure where it’s from.

14 Annette @FitnessPerks April 29, 2015 at 11:06 pm

How exciting!! Congrats!!

I’m biased, but girls are so much fun! 😉

15 Kim April 30, 2015 at 11:40 am

How exciting!

16 Amanda April 30, 2015 at 12:10 pm

That’s so exciting! Congratulations to you both.

17 Melissa May 1, 2015 at 12:25 am

I think that’s how I would have to do a gender reveal – know myself first. When I was pregnant last year there was no way I could find out in front of everyone. I wanted a girl and was scared of how I’d react if it was a boy! Thankfully, we did have a girl, and now whenever we decide to have another, it won’t matter if it’s a boy or girl. 🙂
Melissa recently posted..Does Shakeology Really Work?

18 Nikki May 1, 2015 at 8:31 am

I called it in your comments weeks ago. I just knew it!

19 Meghan Weller May 1, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Such a cute idea for a reveal party! Congrats! I am so happy for you guys!

20 Kim May 3, 2015 at 10:36 am

Oh yes, the dildo cam! During our first vag ultrasound, my husband asked the tech about the device and she said “no silly, that’s for YOU!” (him) – she had a great sense of humor 🙂

Congrats on your girl!

21 Sarah Lusby May 4, 2015 at 2:41 am

You look beautiful Meghann! Very pleased for you 🙂

22 Shauna May 4, 2015 at 4:18 pm

So happy for you and your husband! You look amazing, and congrats on your beautiful news.
🙂

23 Laureen @Peachylau May 5, 2015 at 8:25 am

How exciting! I am very happy for you.
Laureen @Peachylau recently posted..Win an entry for the Reebok Spartan Race UK 2015