First Trimester Recap

by Meghann on April 23, 2015

A few years ago, when a lot of the bloggers I’d been reading for years starting getting pregnant, I would obsess over their weekly updates. I adored the weekly bump photos and, when I discovered we were expecting, it was great to go back and re-read a lot of their journeys. Even though many of them gave birth years ago, it was still comforting to feel like someone was experiencing the same things I was, especially since it was still a big secret to the outside world.

I’d always planned to share weekly updates on here, but with the loss of our first pregnancy, all my grand ideas kind of went out the window. I basically had such horrible anxiety the first trimester with this one that the idea of taking weekly photos made me extremely nervous and nauseous. With that being said, I did keep a personal journal and can piece together the crazy adventure that is the first trimester. So here’s a quick, week-by-week run through of the first trimester.

3 Weeks

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 8.32.20 PM

We have a positive pregnancy test! It’s crazy early and I have no symptoms at all. I’m officially the crazy woman who sits at her desk, constantly poking her boobs to see if they’re “sore.” If it wasn’t for the positive test, I wouldn’t know I’m pregnant at all.

4 Weeks

Woo hoo! I have sore boobs. I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for sore boobs. My stomach has felt a little off, but nothing terrible.  I called the doctor and make an appointment for the following week. Butterflies have finally moved in.

5 Weeks

20150208_132238

It’s the week of my 30th birthday! I’m having a bunch of friends and family over and nervous about them finding out. Derek buys a bottle of sparkling grape juice, and when he needs to refill my champagne glass, he sneaks into our bedroom to pour the sparkling grape juice without making anyone suspicious. I had big plans of having a dance party and karaoke session for my birthday, but the truth is I’m so tired that I’m happy when people head out on the earlier side. I ordered a big platter of Chick Fil a nuggets for the party and continue to eat the leftovers through the week.

6 weeks

It’s the week of my first appointment. It doesn’t go as I expected and I’m a terrible mess for the rest of the week. The morning sickness has started to kick in. Remember those Chick Fil a nuggets I was eating all last week? Now just driving by a Chick Fil A makes me nauseous. Fried chicken tenders sound terrible and makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. I also have terrible, painful gas that makes me fearful that something is wrong. Per my doctor’s suggestion, I start taking GasX and it’s a lifesaver. I discover the only way to fight my morning sickness is to keep eating. I’m eating constantly (as long as it’s not fried chicken tenders!).

7 weeks

The cravings have set in. This week I’m all about grilled cheese. I have one almost every night and my husband warns me I’m going to get sick of them – never! I call the doctor’s office to check all the bloodwork from my last appointment and everything looks normal.

8 weeks

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 8.39.18 PM

I have a good dream that finally calms my nerves. My 8 week appointment goes better than expected and I feel like there is this huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. For the first time this pregnancy I have an inkling that it’s a girl. Derek and I start telling our families the big news. This week I’m craving rubens. I take all of the ingredients (rye bread, turkey, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, etc) to work and use the kitchen’s toaster oven to perfect my creation. I have one every day, I’m surprised my co-workers aren’t suspicious. I have to start taking two lunches to work. I’m hungry all the time. I’ve also developed a new symptom of having a really gross taste in my mouth after every meal. Jolly Ranchers become my new best friend and help keep the taste at bay.

9 weeks

Nothing new to report. Still dealing with crazy hunger and I’ve lost the desire to cook. A lot of food starts to go to waste in the fridge, I opt for take-out or quick fixes instead of our pre-planned meals.

10 weeks

Bras are getting a little snug. Make a trip to Victoria’s Secret and discover I’ve gone up two cup sizes! My best purchase thus far! I’m still running, but have only been going about 3 miles at a time. I attempt 4 miles for the first time in weeks and feel miserable when I’m done. I stop at a Taco Bell for the first time since 2007. What can I say? I was really, really craving one of their bean burritos.

11 weeks

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 8.41.03 PM

(video on Instagram)

I bought a doppler (Sonoline B Fetal Doppler) so I could listen to the baby’s heart beat at home. At first I was against it. I’d read too many cautionary tales of how dopplers can do more harm than good (baby heartbeats are difficult to find at this stage, it’s easy to confuse your heart rate for the babys, etc.). But after reading a forum where everyone was raving about them, and watching a few YouTube videos on the matter (this one and this one), I caved and bought it. It was seriously the best $50 investment I’ve ever made. It took a while to find the heartbeat at first, but once I did, it was amazing. I listen to it every night. As someone who has had a missed miscarriage, it was comforting to hear the heartbeat and know baby is still there.

12 weeks

12 weeks

Look! A bump photo!

We got to see the baby again this week. It’s crazy how much our little bean has grown. It isn’t just a bean anymore, it looks like a real baby! I also couldn’t believe how active he/she was! The little bean couldn’t stop moving.

20150327_085329

Once again it was confirmed that I have a bicornate uterus at the appointment and I was told the baby was looking good in the right horn. However, this is the first appointment where they classified me as semi-high risk due to my abnormal uterus. Though I’m still allowed to run 3 miles every-other day, my doctor recommended I do more of a run/walk method. I’ve also been advised against heavy lifting, which means no strength training during pregnancy. I’ll also have regular ultrasounds after the 28-wk mark to make sure the baby is growing properly and has enough room.

I also want to mention that we opted to do genetic testing with this pregnancy. So I had extra blood drawn and they took NT measurements during the ultrasound. I know genetic testing is a personal decision every couple makes and, while I know the results won’t change anything about this pregnancy, I’ve had two friends (both in their mid-twenties) recently give birth to babies with down syndrome. If there are any chromosomal abnormalities, I just want to make sure we are as prepared as possible. I’ll move heaven and earth to make sure this baby gets everything he/she needs.

I’m not really showing yet, but none of my clothes fit. A pair of shorts I wore to a baseball game 2 weeks prior are now mocking me when I try to button them. I’m back at the mall, this time purchasing my first set of maternity clothes. I also go a little crazy ordering maternity stuff from Old Navy online (FYI: Old Navy’s maternity line runs big).

That wraps up the first trimester. I know there’s some debate on when the first trimester ends, but my doctor classifies the second trimester as starting at 13 weeks, so I’ll leave it at that. I’ll be back with updates for weeks 13-16. 🙂

1 Emily S April 23, 2015 at 9:08 pm

I am so incredibly happy for you! You are totally glowing. I love your honesty and enthusiasm about your pregnancy. As the mom of an almost 11 month old that suffered a very early miscarriage, I also struggled with feeling overjoyed while pregnant. I was so cautious with my feelings. I think it’s totally normal! Pregnancy gets better and better… I actually liked the 3rd trimester the best! Hang in there and can’t wait to hear more!

2 Linda @ The Fitty April 23, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I’m actually si excited to follow you on this journey. I’ll be remembering when you first posted about your pregnancy to the time the little one is finally born and be like, I followed her journey through all that and it was insane! 🙂
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..18th Birthday Wishlist + Giveaway!

3 Morgan April 23, 2015 at 10:16 pm

So happy for you Meghann! So were you pregnant during the big Disney ride challenge?! That’d make it extra crazy!

4 Katie April 23, 2015 at 10:40 pm

love love love this!!!! 🙂

5 Kristen @ Glitter and Dust April 23, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Incredibly happy for you, Meghann. I am almost 20 weeks pregnant with my first and the journey has been one I will never forget. My husband and I chose to do the genetic testing as well. Through the testing they were also able to let us know the gender at week 11 (BOY!). Can’t wait to find out what you are having and hear about your experiences these next few weeks. Enjoy every minute!
Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted..Week 19; Wild Dreams, Little Flutters, and A Cowboy Movie

6 Louise April 24, 2015 at 12:52 am

Such good news. Congratulations! I’m watching my 3 week old rainbow baby sleep and it was totally worth the wait 🙂

7 Clara April 24, 2015 at 1:27 am

I am just so happy for you!!! 🙂 I smile every time I see your pregnancy updates pop up on my Bloglovin.

8 Corinne April 24, 2015 at 7:01 am

Hope this does not become a pregnancy blog

9 Katie April 24, 2015 at 8:34 am

OMG…you have to post that comment? Get a life.

10 Laura April 24, 2015 at 9:37 am

What a negative comment. She’s been trying to become pregnant for ages so of course she is excited to share in her new journey! I for one love the updates and I think others do as well.
Laura recently posted..Meal Planning

11 Jen April 24, 2015 at 10:26 am

“Ages?” Hardly. I know that Meghann calls what she dealt with infertility, but as someone who actually has been struggling (unsuccessfully, including multiple miscarriages) for 4 years to get pregnant, getting pregnant within a few months of trying, twice, is not ages.
Meghann – I hope you have an uneventful pregnancy and a happy baby!

12 Mel April 24, 2015 at 11:09 am

She was tying to get pregnant for less than a year, not ages. Calm yourself.

13 Courtney! April 24, 2015 at 7:56 am

I love the pregnancy updates! I’ve gone back and scoured your wedding posts and IM posts and someday I hope to need these weekly updates too! Congrats Meghann! Hope the Chikfila aversion wears off soon!
Courtney! recently posted..Paris Recap Day 4: Paris Marathon!

14 Bets April 24, 2015 at 8:05 am

You look great! Glad to hear things are progressing well. I also had to brush my teeth every time I ate something, I worried my coworkers would think I was crazy.

15 Nikki April 24, 2015 at 8:43 am

Will you be having a gender reveal party?

16 Alex April 24, 2015 at 9:45 am

Love reading your updates! Definitely understand your first part about wanting to read other bloggers updates to get a sense of what the weeks of pregnancy entail :).
Alex recently posted..Work with a scenic view

17 lisa valinsky April 24, 2015 at 10:08 am

Loved reading this, and it totally makes sense that you feel more cautious each step of the way. Stay healthy and happy, and looking forward to reading more!
lisa valinsky recently posted..Day Trip: Waitsfield VT

18 Nikki April 24, 2015 at 10:49 am

I am so happy for you, I experienced my first miscarriage and its nice to see others doing so well afterward. Also, in case you wanted to see some personal experience with pregnancy and a bicornate uterus there is a Youtuber called DailyBumps and Missy Lanning, she carried her first baby with a bicornate uterus.

19 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life April 24, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I love these! I’m 35 weeks pregnant now and I STILL go back and read other people’s weekly updates and birth stories (now that I’m near the end, I’m a bit birth story obsessed), even if their babies are 3 years old. It’s just so reassuring to hear that other people have gone through the same feelings/cravings/pains that you have. I can’t wait to follow you on this journey!

20 Sabrina April 24, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Love love love!

You’re bringing back memories for me – I don’t think a grilled cheese has ever tasted as good as tastes in the first trimester of pregnancy.

I’m so happy for you, and I wish you a long healthy pregnancy and a nice healthy babe!
Sabrina recently posted..35 weeks pregnant with baby #3

21 Sara April 24, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I’m so so happy for you and I love your cute baby bump! Can’t wait to find out if it’s a boy or girl. 🙂
Sara recently posted..Pregnancy Update – 20 Weeks

22 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 24, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I am so happy for you! I can’t wait to read more updates.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

23 Mrs.Savi April 25, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Hey M! So amazingly excited for you! I know how much you love to stay active so I thought I’d pass along that after month 6 of my pregnancy I didn’t feel very good running anymore (which I love to do regularly). I switched to doing spin classes and doing a bar method pregnancy DVD for my remaining time and really enjoyed them. I felt very fit during labor like my strength was there when I needed it. Just thought I’d pass that along in case you ever have the need for something low impact. I enjoy swinging your updates! Keep them coming!

24 Mrs.Savi April 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Oops swinging was supposed to be reading. Darn autocorrect!