Extreme Exhaustion And Insatiable Hunger During The First Trimester

by Meghann on April 15, 2015

This post is sponsored by Blue Apron. As always, all opinions are my own.

Between my first trimester of pregnancy and dealing with crazy hours at work, let’s just say my eating habits have been less than stellar. I’ve been leaving the office close to 7 lately and, by the time I get home, I have no desire to cook and will pretty much shove any and everything in my mouth as soon as I walk in the door.

Most people are so sick that they can barely eat anything their first trimester. Not me. I only get sick when I don’t eat anything. The hunger pains are so strong that they make me nausea and the only cure is a real meal. Not a simple snack, not a cracker – it needs to be something filling with a decent amount of fat and protein. (By the way, who ever said crackers help with nausea?! They only ever made me feel about 10 times worse.) It’s only then that the severe hunger disappears. Of course, it usually reappears a couple of hours later. After a couple of episodes where I ate my original lunch at 11am, only to run downstairs for a second lunch at 1:00pm, I began bringing two lunches to work. Yes, the hunger was that crazy.

Unfortunately the extreme exhaustion began to set in with my hunger. Every Sunday I continued to purchase my usual haul of groceries for the week, only to have a good amount go to waste due to also losing my desire to cook any of it. Instead of cooking our regular meals, I was opting for quick, easy options. I’d never wasted so much food in my life. I felt terrible and it didn’t take long before I stopped buying a lot of the fresh vegetables and organic meat I usually loved, opting for simple meals of just eggs and anything with peanut butter (ALL the peanut butter) instead.

It was just too much work for anything else, and as much as I love my husband, he’s not a fan of cooking at all. Where I usually cook by a method of a “little of this” and a “little of that” – pulling together whatever is in the fridge to create a complete meal – he prefers structured, detailed recipes, and the exact ingredients the recipe calls for. If something needs to be substituted, he gets lost and gives up.

That’s why when I re-introduced Derek to Blue Apron meals the other week, I told him it’s “Derek proof.” All the ingredients are fresh and in exactly the right portions, delivered right to our door in a refrigerated box.

IMG_6264

The recipe card even has pictures to show him what the recipe should resemble every step of the way. That way when the instructions say to “peel and cut the grapefruit” he doesn’t have to ask a million questions on what “cut the grapefruit” means. Hey, there’s slices, small cubes, big cubes, chunks, etc. etc. He can just look at the photo for an example. I told you he’s a stickler for details.

IMG_6256

IMG_6271

When I was working late and not feeling up to cooking, the Blue Apron meals were very convenient for Derek and I. Derek could easily follow the recipe without his usual fear of messing something up, and I could enjoy a real home cooked meal, instead of just pulling a frozen burrito out of the fridge. It also prevented a lot of food from going to waste.

IMG_6280

Plus, everything was delicious.

IMG_6292

Blue Apron is available nation wide and offers 2-person or family plan options. The 2-person plan is delivered once a week, with enough ingredients for three recipes. The family plan is delivered 1-2 times per week, with enough ingredients for two recipes to be served family style. Portions for each plan range from 500-700 calories each and each recipes takes roughly 40 minutes to complete. Shipping is free.

Even if you’re not sure of the meal delivery service, Blue Apron also offers an array of delicious recipes on their website here. (I think the Spiced Chickpea Burgers and Chicken Mole also look delicious).

Click here to try Blue Apron yourself. The first 50 readers to sign up will get two free meals on their first Blue Apron order!

1 kathy April 15, 2015 at 1:20 pm

i tried these guys back in January and the food is REALLY good. Very easy and really great food.

2 J April 15, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Congrats on ur pregnancy!! I wanted to say the extreme fatigue and insatiable hunger were pretty much my only symptoms during my first tri.. And I’m having a boy 🙂 just sayin! Looking forward to your post on finding out the gender, best wishes!

3 Adie April 15, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I definitely had all-day nausea for the first 9 weeks, and the last few days (10w today) it’s transitioned to being hungry ALL.THE.TIME. I was just getting used to making smaller meals, and now I’m stuck, hungry, at 1:30 because apparently my lunch wasn’t enough today! I suppose it’s all for a good reason, though 🙂

Hubs and I did Blue Apron every week for a while and loved it! It’s such a great concept, and I think with the exception of one meal (their beef lo mein during the Chinese New Year was definitely not lo mein) we’ve totally loved all of them!

4 Linda @ The Fitty April 15, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Blue apron: the pregnancy life saver!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..The Chiptole Hiring Chronicles {#LIPlinkup #21}

5 [email protected] April 15, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Wow, I would have LOVED to have something like that during my pregnancies! The exhaustion of the first trimester is like none other, and you just can’t understand it unless you’ve been through it. Congrats on the pregnancy, BTW!
[email protected] recently posted..Becoming a Runner

6 Betsy April 15, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I’m so glad you had Blue Apron to help! I agree, pregnancy hunger is unreal!

7 kate April 15, 2015 at 9:03 pm

You are lucky! Congrats on the pregnancy BTW! I have been reading since 2009 and it is so exciting to see things going well for you. I am in my first trimester right now and I am the total opposite of you! I can’t stand the sight or smell of any meat(ANY), or veggies. I am living on cereal, crackers and apples and peanut butter. Every now and then I can stomach a banana or a pb&j. I am sick if I eat, I am sick if I don’t…I can’t win so I munch on cereal and crackers every hour that I am awake. I even have to eat some before sitting up from bed, or I will go right to the bathroom. It is funny how different each pregnancy is! My husband cooks himself dinner, and I stay in another room away from the smells(even better if he will grill it outside). Poor guy haha. I am excited to hear all about the rest of this exciting journey as I follow just behind you!

8 Chelsey April 15, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Did Derek find the blue apron means weren’t really all that GF friendly? I ordered from them a few times but had to pretty much change a main component of the meal to make it be GF. Hopefully they will be able to accommodate that restriction soon!

9 Goldie April 16, 2015 at 3:04 am

oh my goodness – how adorable is Derek reading the recipe instructions! I’m so glad you mentioned peanut butter! We had a week off over Easter to do DIY round the house and every morning… EVERY MORNING… I started the day with peanut butter on toast. Yes it’s high calorie but it was SO satisfying. I am keeping the PB industry well in the money right now… I still have 17 weeks to go! I can tank a jar in a week and have a 3 jar stock in my cupboard at all times. Heaven help anyone who tries to eat any… this pregnant lady DOES NOT SHARE PEANUT BUTTER. FACT!

10 Nikki April 16, 2015 at 8:37 am

How did you tell your family and friends about your pregnancy? That’s my favorite part of reading everybody’s pregnancy updates!

11 Courtney! April 16, 2015 at 8:43 am

I’m dying for Blue Apron to start delivering in my area. I’m more of a Derek when it comes to cooking and my husband is the Meghann 🙂
Courtney! recently posted..Paris Recap Day 1: Paris Marathon Expo and Le Relais de l’Entrecôte

12 Dietitian Jess April 16, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Hahaha my husband is the exact same way- I love Blue Apron, I’ve never had a disappointing meal from them! PS I’m a new reader- congrats on the baby and now I’m being a complete stalker and going back and reading race recaps 🙂
Dietitian Jess recently posted..1st Anniversary Dinner at Vetri

13 Sara April 17, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I was starving my entire 1st trimester too. I’m a lot less hungry at 20 weeks.
Sara recently posted..Pregnancy Update – 19 Weeks

14 Tiffany July 28, 2015 at 8:39 am

I guess, 9 weeks is the most terrible chapter of pregnancy – morning sickness and all. Anyway, I loved reading your post but something compelled me to drop a comment. Well, congratulations on your pregnancy! I just remembered a friend of mine when reading this, instead of losing her appetite because of uncertain feelings, she ate and ate and ate. I do not know where the foods have been stored. I wish that I would be like you on my pregnancy (I got excited! It’d be my first time) that you have managed to be healthy despite your work. Send my regards to your baby!
Tiffany recently posted..3 Things that Your Food Should Have