The Story Behind Our Positive Test

by Meghann on April 5, 2015

I can’t even begin to thank all of you for all of the kind comments regarding our big announcement. Derek and I have read and cherished every one of them. So many happy tears over here. 🙂

It’s been killing me not being able to share everything on the blog. There were times I almost broke down and spit out a huge emotionally driven post. However, with our history; both Derek and I didn’t feel 100% comfortable saying anything until after we passed the 12-week hurdle. Now that we have, I promise to share every detail. There is so much I need to fill you guys in on.

I guess it’s safe to start at the very beginning because it wouldn’t be a very good story if I didn’t (I’m an oversharer – remember?). And for those who don’t want to hear about how, well, a baby is made; please feel free to skip this portion of the story.

As some of you may recall… I last spoke about getting my period on December 25th. I was in a pretty crummy mood during the holidays and made a vow to share more about our TTC (trying-to-conceive) journey in the New Year. I wrote a few TTC posts and even partnered with ClearBlue for a few posts that never got published (I had to back out when I got my positive test). At this point I had accepted the fact that Derek and I were in it for the long haul, but at least I had a new outlet for my frustrations.

Accepting the fact that we were in it for the long haul didn’t stop us from aggressively trying. When I realized that there was a chance I would be ovulating during my trip to Disney for the Half Marathon back in January, Derek immediately changed his plans for the weekend and drove over to Disney to join me. They don’t call it the most magical place on earth for nothing, right?

Unfortunately the super early wake-up calls, followed by the super late sleeping in threw off my charting. According to my Fertility Friend App I ovulated on Saturday, but I didn’t get my first positive OPK (ovulation predictor kit) until Sunday. Usually I ovulate two days after my first positive so even though FF said I already ovulated, we kept trying just-in-case FF was wrong and my instincts were right.

My chart stayed pretty convincing with the Saturday ovulation date, so when it came time to start testing I went by the chart for guidance. I woke up at what I thought was 10 DPO (days past ovulation) and took my first pregnancy test of the cycle – negative. One test and I already felt like I was out.

I was all set to wait another couple of days to test again, but for some reason I got the strange urge to test again when I was leaving work that evening. I got home, peed on a stick, and went about the rest of my evening routine. I checked on the test a few minutes later and it looked stark white. A few more minutes later, I pulled out all of the crazy TTC stops. I held the test up to the light, I angled it against the wall, I laid it on a white surface, and I basically went cross eyed looking for a faint second line. And you know what? I thought I saw one. It was super, super faint – something only a crazy POAS-addict could see – but something was there.

20150120_183003

I’d just read a bunch of stuff online about evap lines and false positives, so I decided not to think much of it. I was 99% sure I was just seeing things, but for whatever reason that remaining 1% of me was hanging onto hope.

I woke up really early the next morning and felt like a kid on Christmas morning as I waited to pee on a stick. Unfortunately it was the same thing – the faintest of faint lines that my camera phone couldn’t even pick up. Again – 99% sure it’s still negative, but the other 1% decided to purchase an expensive FRER (First Response Early Results) test on the way to work. I’ve read that the fancy tests can pick up a faint line a little earlier than my internet cheapies so why not give it a shot?

Somehow I managed to wait until after work to take the test. I tried both the internet cheapie and the FRER at the same time. Within 5 minutes I had a semi-clear line on both – no squinting required. Holy crap – it was positive!

20150121_185851

At this point I was 11 DPO from what FF thought was my ovulation date and I had a very faint line. I was still nervous about the possibility of it disappearing, so I opted not to tell Derek right away. Long story short, I had a false positive the month before and got both of our hopes up, only to bring them crashing down an hour later. This time I wanted to wait until I was absolute sure to tell him.

So I did what every crazy TTC person does, I kept peeing on tests. I took one everyday and watched as the line slowly grew darker. I waited four days before taking a digital test for the first time. It came back with PREGNANT almost immediately. It was time to tell Derek.

20150124_052820

I really didn’t have anything special planned for telling Derek. It was Saturday morning when I finally took the digital test and I waited until after I was finished with my run and had showered before waking him. We talked for a few minutes, then I casually asked…

“So when is your brother’s wedding?”

“October 3rd

“I don’t think we’re going to be able to make it.”

“Wait? Why?”

“That’s when the baby is due.”

And then I pulled out the digital test.

He was speechless. It was the perfect unexpected surprise.

This is only part one of Baby R’s journey. I’ll be back with a 2-3 part series regarding the ups and downs of the first trimester. Let’s just say that my anxiety did not go away after that second line appeared – it got worse.

1 morenna April 5, 2015 at 11:48 pm

congrats! I’m so happy for you and Derek! Looking forward to reading about this new adventure. 🙂

2 Ellie April 6, 2015 at 1:27 am

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing your journey. Look forward to the next parts of the story.

3 miore April 6, 2015 at 2:56 am

I’m so happy for you guys! 🙂

I know what you mean about the incessant worrying! Hopefully you’ll be able to relax a bit more now that you’re past the 12 week hurdle – though I have to warn you that that may not be the case 😉 I am also finally pregnant after a rather long TTC journey (2.5 years of trying, 1 miscarriage and finally a BFP after our first IVF attempt), and at 27 weeks pregnant I’m still unable to let go of the worrying.

The first 12 weeks I was SURE I’d had a missed miscarriage or was going to miscarry again more or less constantly unless we’d just come out the door from having an ultrasound. At 14 weeks we had an extremely harrowing experience that involved a little bit of bleeding – of course, this happened while on vacation and away from our doctors – but everything still turned out to be ok.

You’d think I’d calm down when I started to feel the baby move at around 18 weeks, but nope – I still manage 😉 The movements mostly manage to calm me down, but some days the baby suddenly decides to deviate from the regular kicking schedule, and there I am, freaking out again. At 23 weeks I had two days in a row where I hardly felt any movement, this after feeling little kicks every single day for a month – commence hysteria. I was certain that the baby was being strangled by the umbilical cord or something of the sort (why all the googling? WHY?) and called the hospital in tears. Unsurprisingly, baby had probably only turned around a bit, directing the kicks so that they were more difficult to feel – an ultrasound the very next day (number… five, and counting) showed us a happily squirming little baby. The next day, the kicking was back to the regular schedule.

I still get worried every time the I haven’t felt the baby move for a while, but luckily I haven’t had any more embarrassing sobbing phone calls to the hospital! I’m starting to realize that I’ll probably keep worrying until our little baby is a grown person 😉

I’m looking forward to reading more about your pregnancy! It makes me so happy every time someone who has struggled finally makes it.

4 Linda @ The Fitty April 6, 2015 at 5:54 am

Derek drove all the way up to Disney for you? That’s dedication! you have a strong relationship, and that is blessed.
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..ASDFGHJKL I RAN 14K?!

5 Nikki April 6, 2015 at 6:43 am

I would love to hear more. I already say GIRL!!!

6 Kristen April 6, 2015 at 7:20 am

Congrats to you and Derek! So exciting! 🙂
Check out my post on my 1st stroller run: http://www.runonoatmeal.com

7 Maria April 6, 2015 at 7:31 am

Yayyyy congrats to you and Derek! I can’t wait to follow along your journey 🙂

8 Amanda April 6, 2015 at 8:18 am

Love that! Can’t wait to hear more! Congrats!

9 Anna April 6, 2015 at 8:46 am

Love how you told Derek! I am so excited to read more of your story!

10 Jen @ Pretty Little Grub April 6, 2015 at 9:28 am

So happy for you! Can’t wait to hear how things have been going for you. I can imagine it was very nerve wracking.
Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted..Easter Weekend Snapshots & #Motivate Me Monday

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed April 6, 2015 at 10:19 am

I just found out this weekend that 2 of my best friends are both expecting in October as well! Yay for October babies 😀
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..April Whole24: Days 1 – 5 Highlights

12 Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine April 6, 2015 at 10:28 am

CONGRATULATIONS to you both!!! What a wonderful blessing this is!!!
Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine recently posted..Top Ten Lessons I’ve Learned From Running

13 Jessica April 6, 2015 at 10:54 am

Congrats again! I am so happy for you! You are going to have a Libra baby! Those are the best!! 😉

14 Nikki April 6, 2015 at 11:03 am

So happy for you! I know how heartbreaking miscarriages are and also how nerve-wracking the rest of your pregnancy can be even knowing everything is fine! I’m 35 weeks along after 2 miscarriages and am a firm believer that miracles definitely do happen!

15 Vanessa April 6, 2015 at 11:09 am

Congratulations! So very happy for you!

16 Julie April 6, 2015 at 11:24 am

Congratulations!!!!! I recently sent an email inquiring about the Iron Girl Clearwater race, and I totally geeked out when I saw that it was you who replied to me! Your blog inspired me to start running and racing, and I am so, so happy to hear your great news and hear more about your journey!

17 Tracy April 6, 2015 at 11:50 am

As with my miscarriage and subsequent pregnancy, the anxiety and stress stock for a while. Your mind will question everything, but once you hit milestones (i.e. 13 weeks… 20 weeks… anatomy scan… etc…) the anxiety and stress does lessen. And once you feel that precious baby kicking and moving in your belly, you will calm down even more. I’m here at almost 37 weeks, and I still worry about things, but every soon to be mama does! You will get through it all and in the end you will receive your miracle as I call mine each day. Best of luck to you on this beautiful experience. I wouldn’t trade any of the bad for these 9 months of joy. Makes these moments even more special.

18 Krista April 6, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I couldn’t agree more! I’m 16 weeks along with my first, after a miscarriage this past summer & hitting that 13 week mark & seeing that the baby was healthy has definitely brought the anxiety & worry down a ton! We’re going for our anatomy scan in a few weeks which I hope will lessen the worry even more 🙂

19 EB @ Running on E April 6, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Congrats! I am so happy for you all! Such an exciting time!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Georgia Publix Marathon Recap

20 crystal April 6, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I’m hormonal and this made me cry happy tears and laugh. I peed on so many sticks with my first. I still remember during in the bathroom starting at the 4 positive tests lined up on the side if the bath tub.

I don’t even know you irl , but I am so excited for the two of you.

21 Kristin April 6, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Such a happy post! When I was pregnant with our second baby, I also had a very light line and peed on GOBS of those cheap sticks lol. Ah, such excitement!!! Congrats again!

22 Kelly April 6, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Congrats!! As a long time reader, I am looking forward to reading all about your pregnancy and parenthood journey!!

23 Ashley April 6, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I loved the way you told him! So happy for you! I’ve been following your blog for forever, and so glad to see you cross this latest hurdle!

24 Elisabeth April 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm

So sweet the way you told Derek! Can’t wait to read more of your story 😉

25 Alyssa April 6, 2015 at 2:52 pm

I am so happy for you and Derek. My husband and I have started TTC, it’s been a few months with no baby. It’s a roller coaster each month in that two week window post ovulation. I would love to read a post about your “fertility routine”. I saw that you posted you used the fertility friend app (I use it too) and an OPK, and that you knew you ovulated two days after a positive OPK. I know I for one would be really interested in knowing how else you tracked your ovulation, if you changed your diet/exercise, if you took any supplements or specific precautions, and so forth. again, congratulations to you both!

26 Stephanie April 6, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Congratulations! I’m very early pregnant too. So happy to have a blog to follow from another mother who runs

27 Anne April 6, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I totally teared up with your “That’s when the baby’s due!” statement. I’m so glad that it’s worked out for you. And yes, when you think you’ve gotten a positive test, the only response is to PEE ON ALL THE THINGS!!

28 Erin @ Her Heartland Soul April 6, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Congratulations! So excited for you and your family!
Erin @ Her Heartland Soul recently posted..Weekend Snapshots

29 Kristy B. April 6, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Congratulations! I know you had a rough time with your miscarriage, so I’m glad you got a positive! I had a m/c as well, over 4 years ago and my husband and I have been trying for the past two years to conceive with no luck. I know how hard it can be to wait for that positive test. I’m glad it came quickly for you.

30 Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks April 6, 2015 at 3:46 pm

When I read the line “That’s when the baby is due.” I got so teary eyed! That is just the sweetest. I’m so happy for you and thank you for sharing your journey.

31 kristin | W [H] A T C H April 6, 2015 at 4:06 pm

so exciting! congratulations. can’t wait to hear more about your journey.
kristin | W [H] A T C H recently posted..NOTRE DAME ON GOOD FRIDAY

32 Cody @ onehungryrunner April 6, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Congratulations!!! So happy for you 🙂

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 6, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I am so happy for you guys!! Congratulations!

34 The Many Thoughts of a Reader April 6, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Ahh.. the peeing on alll the things.. Trying to have a baby is a very crazy time. 😉
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Spring Break: Day 1

35 Erin M. April 7, 2015 at 5:47 am

Again, I am so, so happy for you both! I have been reading your blog since the beginning (but rarely comment) and I am so happy that your wish has finally come true! Congratulations again!!

36 lissy April 7, 2015 at 7:43 am

Congrats! This post reminded me sui much of when we were trying, lol. Glad Google decided I should read it
lissy recently posted..A Day in the Life of Lissy 2015

37 Lisa D. April 7, 2015 at 8:33 am

I feel like a crazy person completely bawling over a stranger on the Internet’s story. I’ve read your blog for so long and am so, so happy this happening for you two!!

38 Samantha Menzies April 7, 2015 at 9:52 am

Congratulations!!!
So happy for you guys!
Samantha Menzies recently posted..The Mama Expo – my first show!

39 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life April 7, 2015 at 10:58 am

So sweet the way you told Derek! And I completely understand some of the crazy things that TTC makes you do! That TWW is the absolute worst, and it took everything in my power not to pee on every test that I had just in case!!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..April Goals

40 Kim April 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Aw what a great story! I’m so happy for you both.

41 Kristin April 7, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Congratulations!! My first was conceived at Disneyland – very magical indeed. Best wishes for an easy pregnancy!!

42 Natalie April 7, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Such awesome news! I wanted to ask you if would recommend FertileCM, which you had mentioned in an earlier post. I am also TTC and would love to know if you feel it made a difference! Thanks so much!
Natalie recently posted..Chamonix

43 Jess April 8, 2015 at 3:34 am

Wait so you did the wdw44 challenge while pregnant?!

44 Farwa April 8, 2015 at 8:21 am

Hello Meghann, first of all congratulations!
I am a silent reader (from Pakistan) of your blog and one thing i want to say that I love it. You are doing an excellent work, your an inspiration. I love each of your post.
I can completely understand your condition as I have been through this situation. Now I am also due in October 2015 with my second baby as I has miscarriage last November and it was a really difficult time for me and my family. But see miracle happens. I got pregnant again right after the miscarriage and I am soo happy for you also. Take a very good care of yourself, keep smiling and be happy 🙂

45 Farwa April 8, 2015 at 8:23 am

Hello Meghann, first of all congratulations!
I can completely understand your condition as I have been through this situation. Now I am also due in October 2015 with my second baby as I had miscarriage last November and it was a really difficult time for me and my family. But see miracle happens. I got pregnant again right after the miscarriage and I am soo happy for you also. Take a very good care of yourself, keep smiling and be happy 🙂

46 Rachel @ Lou Lou Belle April 8, 2015 at 1:27 pm

What a journey! Congrats!

47 Angie April 8, 2015 at 2:39 pm

WHAT a journey and a blessing!!! Congrats and WELCOME to the club!!!

48 Jess April 8, 2015 at 6:16 pm

So so so happy for you and Derek! I can’t wait to read the rest!!!!!!!!!

49 Stacey April 9, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us readers. It gives other TTC’ers like me some hope. I’m so very happy for you both and look forward to reading more!
Stacey recently posted..Taper Madness? Nah, Taper Happiness 🙂

50 Sarah @ Sweet Miles April 10, 2015 at 11:22 am

Wow, what a great story! Such a blessing!!! I will be sending thought and prayers your way for a smooth pregnancy from here on out! AH! So exciting!!!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Puma Ignite – Comfort Meets Casual

51 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 10, 2015 at 11:27 am

A huge congratulations to you and your husband, Meghann! I’m thrilled for you! I’m actually due October 2nd, so it’ll be fun follow along in your pregnancy with you. 🙂
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Friday Favorites: 04/10/15

52 Sharon April 10, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Congratulations!!!! I am a new reader and read your previous blog posts about your journey and am so thankful and appreciative that you have been so open and honest about your journey to this very moment. I also had a miscarriage (mine was this past February) and I cannot tell you enough how much I relate to your post. All of your heart dropping moments, I felt and completely know how you were feeling because I felt the same exact way too. It does feel so good knowing you are not alone! We are coming up on our second cycle and about to start trying again. I see that you are a runner and I also am and right now I feel myself torn with the next time around and maybe cutting back on running until the 12th week mark. Did you run the same as you previously were to trying this past time? Running is a huge stress reliever for me so although I’m sure it will help with the anxiety during the early stages but I can’t shake the feeling of doing something that could jeopardize our second time trying, even though the doctors tell you that there’s nothing you could have done wrong when a miscarriage happens.

53 Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder April 10, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Congrats! It’s great to hear a success story from you. Best wishes for good health and an easy pregnancy.
Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder recently posted..5 Favorite Trips

54 milania dela cruz April 10, 2015 at 11:25 pm

i hardly have time to read your blog these days because i’m so busy (in residency!). for some reason today, i just wanted to see you if you were pregnant. and there you are! pregnant! congrats to you both!! my other fave blogger, fitnessista just revealed too.. maybe that’s why i had an inkling you would be as well! xoxo

55 Christina April 11, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys! I’m 28 weeks pregnant now 🙂 It’s an amazing experience! Wait until you start to feel your little one move inside you!!

56 Megan April 12, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Congratulations! I was also a die hard poas addict! With both of my kids. I totally get it.

57 Samantha April 15, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Hi! I’m so happy for you and Derek! And I’m in your same boat…due 10/4, and also missing my brothers wedding!! What a coincidence!