Cherry Vanilla Smoothie

by Meghann on March 30, 2015

Brooks recently challenge all of their RunHappy ambassadors to a Smoothie Challenge in the month of March. I had to stop myself from being too creative with my submission (I tend to be a little overzealous with challenges) and instead kept my smoothie relatively simple and delicious. This is actually a throwback to the Chocolate Cherry Smoothie my sister used to make when she had a blog. I just tweaked a few ingredients based off of what I had in the house.

Here’s what I came up with:

20150330_073529

Cherry Vanilla Smoothie

Ingredients:

• About a cup of frozen cherries
  • Handful of spinach
  • 1 5.3oz container vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter
  • Milk

(clearly I’m a stickler for exact measurements – HA!)

20150330_073228

Add cherries, spinach, yogurt, and almond butter to blender. Add milk a little at a time and blend until desire consistency is achieved.

20150330_073542

Best enjoyed after a long and humid run.

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 9.07.07 PM

What has been your go-to smoothie recipe lately?

1 Stephanie March 30, 2015 at 10:56 pm

I have been doing dark chocolate almond milk (8oz), chocolate protein powder, frozen banana, and ice blended with a few cacao nibs on top. It is like a chocolate shake. I need to switch out the almond milk to unsweetened, but my hubby has been using the dark chocolate for creamer and it is what I have had on hand.
Stephanie recently posted..March 2015 & Yearly Goal Progress

2 Linda @ The Fitty March 31, 2015 at 12:47 am

I dont drink smoothies! But lately my on the go snack is two hard boiled eggs and homemade baconnaise!
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..Chiptole Interviews, Abuse From “Dad” + Life Latelys

3 Kristi March 31, 2015 at 11:10 am

I’m like you and don’t really measure things 🙂 my go-to smoothie recipe is a frozen banana, a scoop and a half of Trader Joe’s vanilla protein powder, some sort of berries, half cup of plain yogurt and some milk.

4 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life March 31, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Haha, I’m the same way with my measurements. My husband says I’m the queen of the “ish”. I cup-ish, 1 handful-ish. My other favorite? The sploosh. As in, “add in a sploosh of milk”. Clearly it’s a technical term!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Day in the Life: Pregnancy Edition

5 Megan March 31, 2015 at 3:37 pm

For my breakfast smoothies these days it’s all about the orange juice! I just tried it for the first time and it make a big difference (usually I’ll add in some form of milk instead) All you need is a banana or half an avocado, a scoop of your favorite vanilla protein, orange juice & water, kale and/or spinach and frozen mango chunks. So much yum!

6 Jesica @rUnladylike March 31, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Yum! This looks good. I probably wouldn’t typically pair all these ingredients together but I’m excited to try this. I typically stick with my tried and true chocolate banana protein smoothie (frozen banana, chocolate protein powder, flaxseeds, and milk), but last week I made one in honor of spring that had banana, pineapple, orange, greek yogurt, flaxseed and protein powder. A protein smoothie is one of my favorite post-morning workout meals. xoxo
Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..Run Happy Springtime Smoothie

7 Caitlin Kelly April 1, 2015 at 4:33 pm

One of my favorite smoothie recipes is definitely strawberries, blueberries, mangos, spinach and kale, with sweet tea and honey 🙂 But I’m definitely going have to try this cherry one. Sounds delicious.
Caitlin Kelly recently posted..The Daily Thanks, March 31st

8 Megan April 2, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I think I actually have all of these ingredients! I’ll have to try it. I never think to buy frozen cherries but grabbed a big bag the last time I was at Sams and have been trying to come up with more ways to use them. We’ve also been in Spring Break mode so adding more smoothies and less everything else into my meal plan is probably a good idea 😉
Megan recently posted..NASM Study Resources