Three Fitness Goals

by Meghann on March 17, 2015

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Did anyone else ever use the “I have green eyes” excuse to avoid getting pinched when they were younger? It was the one day of the year when green eyes came in handy.

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget to wear green today. I wore my green top loud and proud in the office. I also carried Lucky Charms around, just in case.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 9.44.10 PM

Eating a green snack is as important as wearing green, no?

I’ve been feeling very blah lately so I’m working on changing up my fitness routine. I’m going to start giving myself three weekly fitness goals to conquer. I’m a goal-oriented person so I think having something in writing will help keep me accountable. This will also give me an opportunity to check in a little more on here.

Just to recap, I’ve been cutting back on running and “intense” exercise since we started trying-to-conceive again last October. I haven’t run more than 4 miles since the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in January, and while I love the non-stress feel of not having a plan when it comes to running, I’m honestly getting a little bored. I want to mix it up a little more and challenge myself in new ways. This could be committing myself back to strength training, hoping back on the bike trainer, or getting back into yoga (just to name a few examples).

What I really, really want to do is re-join a gym. There’s a great one right down the street from me, I just need to make it a point to go in and sign the paperwork. I’ve had some great workouts with my kettlebell lately, but I miss having access to the full range of a weight room. I’d love to get a plan (maybe redoing NROLFW? or trying the men’s version?) and stick to that.

I also want to recommit to yoga. If I can commit to at least one class a week, then I’d call that a win.

I miss swimming. There’s three words I never thought I’d say! But it’s true. I miss it. Luckily the gym I want to join has a pool. (yes, I know my new house has a pool, but there’s a big difference between a 25 yd lap pool and a 15 yd recreational family pool). The weather is starting to warm up and I’m itching to get a swim in.

So there’s my three fitness goals for this week:

• Join a gym
  • Take a yoga class
  • Swim

I didn’t say the goals had to be big ones, they just have to help keep me focused. I’ll check in next week with my progress and three more goals.

Who wants to join me in creating three fitness goals for the week?

1 Linda @ The Fitty March 18, 2015 at 3:07 am

I’m with you in changing a fitness routine and I think it’s a great idea to start with three week goals! I’m thinking, if i give up an exercise, will I revert back to my previous physique though? Will I losE the fitness I earned?
Linda @ The Fitty recently posted..A (Shameful) Binge Day + Audition Recap {#LIPlinkup #19}

2 Stephanie March 18, 2015 at 7:14 am

I am a huge goal oriented person. I make yearly goals that include reading, fitness, finance, and more. However, I do create monthly goals to help me try and focus on my weight loss. I didn’t have it in my goals for this month, but I am going to try a new CSI (Cycle Strength Interval) class next week. 🙂

Stephanie recently posted..Penne with Chicken & Asparagus

3 Nikki March 18, 2015 at 8:26 am

I gave birth last year. I got pregnant in 2013 and surprisingly easily because I went at least 5 years without a period until it came back in 2010. It was definitely missing because of my intense exercising. It took the doctors a while to figure that out. I just had a low body fat percentage. I looked fine, I had muscle but for me it was just too low. I switched to the elliptical and that is what helped. It’s so odd that running would do that but I learned the hard way! Some women can run marathons weekly and be fine but I was not one of them!

4 EB @ Running on E March 18, 2015 at 8:35 am

Great idea! I’ve been in a bit of a funk lately too, so I’ve been challenging myself to try one new fitness related thing a month to help mix it up!
EB @ Running on E recently posted..Miles for Maria Training Week #3

5 Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey March 18, 2015 at 8:56 am

I love this idea! Now that it’s lighter longer and warmer, I’ve been craving a change in my exercise routine. My three goals are: stretch, take walking lunch breaks, and do something active at least 3x a week.
Lindsey @ Simply Lindsey recently posted..Easy Vegetable Summer Rolls

6 Ana March 18, 2015 at 9:19 am

I have been going through TTC and decided to decrease the anount of running.. It feels weird not to do a long run during the weekend and the fact thst i am not signed up for any triathlon or marsthon makes my weekly workout planning really hard. But i am also trying to go back to yoga (i am loving piyo as well) and swimming .. For now that would be my main goal !! Good luck with yours 🙂

7 Carly March 18, 2015 at 9:52 am

Instead of NROLFW, have you thought about a simpler program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength? It would be a way to change things up…

8 Katie March 18, 2015 at 10:12 am

I have a classpass subscription this month (not sure if they’re in Tampa yet) but I highly recommend trying out new places/classes! Even if you do an unofficial classpass and just go around trying classes or studios you haven’t been to before, it can be a great way to get a new challenge, and meet some new people!
Katie recently posted..Fueled By: Coffee, Scones, Croissants, and ClassPass.

9 molly rose March 18, 2015 at 11:19 am

Way to go girl!! Those are great goals. I am finishing up phase 1 of Jamie easons livefit program and loving it! It’s the first time I’ve committed to an organized strength training program.

My maiden name is Green so that was always my excuse to not get pinched!!

10 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life March 18, 2015 at 11:20 am

Love this idea! I’m a goal-oriented person too, and when I’m feeling like I’m in a funk or totally not motivated, writing out a list always seems to help. Plus it’s just kind of nice to be able to check them off the list and feel successful!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Going Green: St. Patrick’s Day Appetizers

11 Courtney! March 18, 2015 at 11:53 am

Goals are key for me too. I’ve bit off slightly more than I can chew at the moment, so I’m fairly jealous of your goals. I kinda miss doing what I want when I want. I’m definitely taking June off.
Courtney! recently posted..Tying the Knot Trot 5k: Planning a 5k on Your Wedding Day

12 kristin | W [H] A T C H March 18, 2015 at 12:34 pm

i totally forgot to wear green…
kristin | W [H] A T C H recently posted..LANDED: VIETNAM

13 Sandy W. March 18, 2015 at 2:23 pm

At this point I’m trying to make exercise a priority first thing in the morning. That means a 4am wake up call. History has proven if I do not get it done first thing…it won’t get done. Once I’m dialed in on that goal then it will be time to mix it up exercise wise.

My goals this week are: get up at 4a to exercise, get up at 4a to exercise, get up at 4a to exercise.

14 lisa valinsky March 18, 2015 at 3:18 pm

I’ve been in an exercise rut too after such a long and cold winter. But I’m back with brisk walking 40-60 minutes a day with our dog, and soon I’m hoping to get back to running too, even if it’s just a mile or so a day.
lisa valinsky recently posted..A Long Weekend in Connecticut

15 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona March 18, 2015 at 4:10 pm

What kind of yoga do you like?
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

16 Erin @ Loop Looks March 18, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I highly recommend the workouts in Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews. I actually like them better than NROLW and they don’t take nearly as long, either.
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..Pinterest Parallels [Vol. 6]

17 Nora @2 Generations Running March 18, 2015 at 9:15 pm

I love it! I just started taking a weekly yoga class, and so far it’s going great! I also really want to join a gym again, but it’s just a little too pricey right now. Good luck with your goals, I can’t wait to hear how it goes 🙂
Nora @2 Generations Running recently posted..Reflections on My First Yoga Classes

18 Shelly March 18, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I’ll join you on making some goals! I think my three are to push myself to run over walk, do strength training sessions tomorrow and Saturday, and to do a little yoga on Friday. I need the stretch.
Shelly recently posted..Spring Cleaning

19 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 19, 2015 at 9:47 am

I’ve been doing yoga a lot more lately (once a week in a class & a lot in my living room) and I’ve been loving it! It’s also so much easier to get out walking with my dogs when it’s above freezing. I went for my first run in forever (9 months?) and it felt pretty good, but I don’t plan on adding more than 1 or 2 run days to my schedule. CrossFit is still my fave!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Saying Goodbye to Coaching

20 Stacey March 20, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I have definitely used the green eyes excuse! I completely forgot to wear green this year but didn’t get a pinch, which is nice. I hear ya on the blah thing. I’m running Boston this year, but have felt completely unmotivated to train. We’re also TTC, so that kinda puts a damper on 70+ mile weeks, anyway. For me, it’s the weather, but I know you didn’t have to deal with that, so maybe it’s just the time of the year? I think it’s great that you’re making goals, though — whatever works! 🙂
Stacey recently posted..Medals? Nah, I do it for the bagels.

21 Mary March 23, 2015 at 9:07 am

You can do it! I love my YMCA memebership! I am hoping to find one close to me when we move to Tampa in a couple of months – You’ve got spin, swim and yoga all there! Although…. the yoga isn’t the same as Hot yoga – which I love so so dearly.