Maddie’s Life

by Meghann on February 18, 2015

About a month or so ago Derek came across an article on USA Today about a woman who caught someone breaking into her house thanks to a free video app. She used the free video app (Manything) to watch her dog while she was at work and was surprised to see a man feeding her dog treats one afternoon. She called the police and was able to watch the police catch the intruder via the app. Pretty cool, right?

So, of course, we immediately downloaded the app so we could spy on Maddie and potentially catch a bad guy.

sheswatching

The app is pretty impressive, especially with the $0 price tag attached to it. It only requires an Apple device, a power connection, and access to WiFi. We set-up Derek’s iPad in the kitchen, turned the app to streaming, and were able to watch the feed via the website and other Apple devices (unfortunately Manything is not currently available on Android). There are also recording parameters you can put into place that will automatically record and save any of the live streaming if movement is detected. That way you don’t have to watch the live feed all day to know what your dog is up to.

So what does Maddie do all day? Well, pretty much what we expected – she sleeps.

20150126_094038

Basically she curls up in a ball on the big couch and DOESN’T BUDGE from about 8:00am – 2:30pm-ish. That dog can sleep!

Around 2:30pm-ish, she gets up, stretches, and moves to the top of the chair and a half. She spends the rest of the afternoon staring out the door. We assume she’s waiting for us to come home, but she also has a great view of the neighborhood cats playing in the front yard, as well as the cars driving by.

20150126_145144

We watched her for a week straight and it was the same story every day. The only thing that would change would be what part of the big couch she would sleep on. Sometimes it was on the pillow next to the arm rest, and other times it was on the top of the chair. Really it just depended where the blue snowflake blanket was, apparently that’s her favorite.

Have you ever used a doggie cam? Did your dog behave exactly as you expected?

Speaking of Maddie…. the Honest Kitchen recently sent some new dog food and treats for her to try.

20150218_075422

The Honest Kitchen, makers of dehydrated, all-natural pet food and leader in the pet health food category, is one of only two pet food brands that has FDA approval to use the term “Human Food Grade” on its labeling, meaning the food is safe for human consumption. Founded by Lucy Postins 12-years-ago in her kitchen, her interest in natural nutrition and the raw food diet, combined with the food-related health issues her dog Mosi was experiencing, led her to investigate ways to make better pet food. Shortly after, The Honest Kitchen was born.

Maddie has a history of skin irritation that makes her sensitive to conventional dog food. She’s also picky with her dog treats, preferring treats that are chewy and meaty over Milkbone type treats.

I opened the Beams Dog Treats as soon as the box arrived a couple of weeks ago and immediately gave her one of the wild-caught Icelandic catfish skins. The smell was awful, but she immediately gobbled it right up.

20150218_075456

The Zeal (grain-free fish dog food) was definitely different. The dehydrated dog food requires the addition of hot water to bring the food back to life.

20150218_193350

You have to let the food/water mix sit for 3 minutes as the food rehydrates. Now, have you ever filled a dog bowl with food and left it on the counter for 3 minutes while a dog waits patiently by your side? Never. Maddie goes insane waiting! She knows her food is up there and can not comprehend why her food is still up there and I’ve moved my butt back to couch. Food?! Mom?! What about meeeeeee?!

20150218_194021

In the end, the wait is worth is and she has no problem digging right in.

20150218_194043

Again, that fishy smell is not pleasant, but Maddie loves the taste of it. My stinky, fishy girl.

Maddie has been eating Honest Kitchen for just under two weeks (after a trial of mixing it with her old food) and she gives it two paws up. The smellier, the better.

1 Alisha @ Real Girl Running February 18, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I SO SO SO want to do this for my dog, Angus! Many times my husband and I have wondered what he does all day when we are at work. And it would be so fun to ‘check’ on him during the day! But, alas, we have Androids only, so I’m going to have to wait a bit longer. Unless I can convince my Dad to lend me his Go Pro! 😛
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap: A GREAT Week!

2 Cheri @ Overactive Blogger February 18, 2015 at 10:37 pm

See I’m scared to do this because my dogs would probably be tearing my stuff up!
Cheri @ Overactive Blogger recently posted..The Bachelor

3 Linda @ TheFitty February 19, 2015 at 6:16 am

She caught someone breaking into her home? With an app? That’s a funny situation, I had to giggle a little bit. Thanks for making my morning.
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..Life Lately {Jan 30 2015-Feb 9 2015}

4 Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots February 19, 2015 at 7:20 am

That’s so funny to see what pets are up to when you’re not at home.
Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots recently posted..How to Build a Kale & Quinoa Bowl

5 EB February 19, 2015 at 8:39 am

It’s pretty cool that you could figure out a pattern to her day. My dog is basically lazy and sleep while we are away too!
EB recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

6 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner February 19, 2015 at 9:05 am

Ha, I love the doggie cam! I’m pretty sure my dog just looks out the window, barks at the mailman, and sleeps. I loved that one video where the couple used a doggie cam and found out there dog was breaking out of the house and going down the slide into the pool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St_4vYCPax4
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

7 Courtney! February 19, 2015 at 10:09 am

I would have WAY too much fun with this app and my cats. When we go on long vacations, we like to hide small treats in random places (like on the fireplace, on a bookshelf, etc) to see where they manage to get to when we are gone.
Courtney! recently posted..Hawaii (August 2014) Part II

8 Mabel @ Ma Bella Vita February 19, 2015 at 10:18 am

I actually saw an article recently about cameras you place in the peep hole of your front door and it pretty much records everyone that may come close to your door during the day while you are at work. Is a little creepy but I think is a great invention, specially for people that lives in actual homes as oppose to apartments. Cool gadgets to consider!
Mabel @ Ma Bella Vita recently posted..Love chocolate bars? You may love them a little more after you read this

9 Rebecca February 19, 2015 at 12:19 pm

We have a “nanny cam” for our cats. We originally got it because we couldn’t figure out which one kept having accidents on our sofa. It’s been nice to have, ours is the kind where you can talk into it if you want. My husband will sometimes scare one of the cats by calling its name while it’s relaxing in the living room!

10 Allison February 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm

So how long does she go without being walked? Do you have a dog walker? Does Derek let her out at lunch?

11 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner February 20, 2015 at 2:18 pm

I think smaller dogs need less exercise and don’t have to go out as often as larger dogs. I know I couldn’t leave my lab home that long, but my friend’s small dog will go 10+ hours without having to go to the bathroom. Just a thought.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Another Update

12 Nancy February 19, 2015 at 5:32 pm

LOL I love that you filmed your dog. We did that one night when my husband borrowed a drop cam – out little fella was just laying at the top of the stairs, waiting for us to come home. I felt like he was being a watch dog. So cute!

13 Stacey February 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Maddie is so darn cute!!!
Stacey recently posted..Surprise! I don’t suck!

14 Sarah @ Runningchickago.com February 24, 2015 at 10:53 pm

That doggy cam has got to be hilarious!!