Fifty Shades

by Meghann on February 16, 2015

Alright, who saw Fifty Shades of Grey this weekend?

fifty shades movie poster

I’m almost afraid to admit it, but I couldn’t find anyone else to see it with me, so I caught a matinee solo on Sunday. I mean, technically I wasn’t alone. The theater was full of rambunctious middle-aged women that pretty much fit every stereotype you could imagine who would see that movie. And you know what? I wouldn’t have had it any other way. The rowdy group that sat in front of me were particularly hilarious. Now these are they type of women I wouldn’t mind having a beer with, they just make life fun.

I skimmed my Facebook feed right before the movie started and was disappointed to see a handful of less-than-stellar reviews regarding the movie. Bummer. Apparently the sex scenes didn’t live up to the hype, the story was slow, and the characters were flat and lifeless. One friend even made the comment of wanting to leave halfway through. I guess I should have waited for RedBox and saved my $8.25 – too late now.

However, as soon as the movie started I was glad I stuck around. Not only for the scandalous comments from my new lower row friends, but because I thought it was a movie worth sticking around for. Maybe it was my low expectations going in, but I thought the movie was great. I’m not saying the acting was great (in truth, Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan lacked chemistry and I spent a good portion of the movie wanting to fix Dakota’s bangs and cringing every time Jamie’s native accent came through) or the lines were particularly juicy (they were cheesy in the book and they were even cheesier on screen), but for whatever reason I really did enjoy it.  I think the book to silver screen interpretation was spot on and they kept all the characters and scenes just as I pictured them in my head. I know it’s a poorly written book, but there’s something about the characters and story that draw me in.

holding-fifty-shades-of-grey

Now, about those sex scenes.… All the press and hype regarding the movie “pushing the limits” with these scenes are pretty much spot on. Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan are fully committed in each scene; both leaving little to the imagination once the movie is over. I just wish they had more chemistry to make those scenes a little hotter. They looked like actors faking sex instead of an addicted couple who couldn’t keep their hands off of each other. I will admit the one scene with the blindfold in the playroom was pretty hot.

Did you see Fifty Shades of Grey this weekend? What did you think?

The rest of my weekend was pretty mild. Derek and I stayed in on Friday night, I worked Saturday, we had pizza and froyo for Valentine’s dinner, and Sunday was dedicated to housecleaning and movie watching. We are party animals. 😉

1 crystal February 16, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I loved it. Yes it’s cheesy But you know what? it’s fiction and fun. I’m going to guess a good chunk of women have a fantasy of being swept off their feet by someone they have amazing sexual chemistry with and who is rich beyond their wildest dreams. I know I do.

2 Emmy (Just the Books) February 16, 2015 at 10:06 pm

I just finished reading the book — after vowing to never read it! — and actually kind of liked it. I mean, it’s no Pulitzer Prize winner, but it was a decent story. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I’m sad to hear the characters didn’t have a lot of chemistry in the movie — I felt that they really had chemistry in the book, even if Ana was such a shy wallflower of a girl. I’m not sure when I’ll get out to see it, but hopefully soon! I might have to do a solo matinee, too …. but those are always the best. 🙂
Emmy (Just the Books) recently posted..Just in time for Valentine’s Day: Library Fun

3 Alisha @ Real Girl Running February 16, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I’m having trouble finding someone to watch it with too! I might follow your lead one day when I have a spare couple of hours.

Oh, and my Valentine’s weekend sounds eerily like yours. I guess that’s what comes with the territory of now being an old married couple!
Alisha @ Real Girl Running recently posted..My Week of Eats

4 Laurie February 16, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I want to see it so bad! I’m like you, none of my friends are too keen to go see it! Bummer! I may have to go solo too! My husband is not too thrilled to see it either! Oh well, thanks for the review, it makes me want to see it even more! 🙂

5 Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots February 16, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I haven’t watched it nor have I read the book. I’m tempted to go watch it in theaters just for the people watching
Jojo @ Run Fast Eat Lots recently posted..How to Build a Kale & Quinoa Bowl

6 Courtney! February 16, 2015 at 10:55 pm

I think I’m going to go alone to see it too, but I’ll wait a couple weeks for the crowds to die down. I’ve heard mixed reviews as well so I’m glad you still liked it!
Courtney! recently posted..Weekend Roundup

7 Cheri @ Overactive Blogger February 17, 2015 at 12:11 am

Definitely going to read it first. Interested to hear – what do you think about the controversy and these posts coming out against the movie?
Cheri @ Overactive Blogger recently posted..V-Day Weekend

8 Sheena February 17, 2015 at 2:51 am

I tried reading the first book twice but couldn’t get past the 3rd or 4th chapter, the writing was so bad. It seems like a few people thought differently though 🙂
Sheena recently posted..2015 Races!

9 Linda @ TheFitty February 17, 2015 at 6:09 am

My friends apparently hated the movie! They said it was a good yhing I didn’t come(I couldn’t).
Linda @ TheFitty recently posted..Life Lately {Jan 30 2015-Feb 9 2015}

10 Katie February 17, 2015 at 9:23 am

I’m heading to orlando tomorrow and the tentative plan is to go see the movie on Thursday with my girls friends! Although there something seems a little off to see 50 shades at downtown disney, but oh well!
Katie recently posted..Linking the Stories

11 Jamie February 17, 2015 at 9:33 am

I saw it on Friday, and although I went in with pretty low expectations, I still didn’t really love it. I was more bored than anything… I agree with the slow plot, lack of chemistry, and cheesy lines. Just wish it was a little more entertaining!

12 Jen February 17, 2015 at 10:41 am

I doubt I’ll see it until it comes on cable or Netflix. I just didn’t like the characters in the books enough to shell out time and money to sit in a theater and watch. I know what you mean about being in an audience of energized women. I went to see Magic Mike with a group of women and the whole audience around us was loud and hilarious. Considering that movie was pretty lacking in plot and dialogue, I was glad for the show the audience put on. Don’t feel awkward about going alone. I’m a teacher and have summers off. I go to the movies alone all the time if there’s something I want to see and I can’t get anyone else interested. It cracks me up to go in the middle of the day and there are men in business suits in there with me. I can only assume they’ve left the office for “meetings.” The interesting thing about 50 Shades is the number of people with opinions who haven’t read the books or seen the movie.
Jen recently posted..Vacation in February

13 Erin @ Erin's Inside Job February 17, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I’ve been confused about the different receptions btw the book and the movie. It may just be my perception, but it seems like when the book was out everyone was in love with it and now that there is a movie I am hearing nothing but backlash. I was just super confused the other day. Oh well! 🙂
Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted..Tried It Tuesday: Sproing Sport

14 Hannah February 17, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I really enjoyed this movie and am super relieved to hear someone give a positive review for a change.

15 [email protected] February 17, 2015 at 5:07 pm

I could not talk any of my girlfriends into seeing it so my poor husband took one for the team and joined me. I actually enjoyed it too. Yes, it was lame and cheesy but I was entertained. I dont regret the 9 bucks I shelled out. 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..The Elusive Cheat Day

16 Carrie (This Fit Chick) February 18, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I really want to see it! I don’t have high expectations as I wasn’t a fan of the cast when they announced them, but I’m making my boyfriend see it with me… or when it comes out on hulu or something!
Carrie (This Fit Chick) recently posted..When You Have No Time to Workout

17 Melissa February 24, 2015 at 10:19 am

I haven’t seen it, mainly because we have a 4 month old baby, somewhat opposite schedules right now, and my parents haven’t been available to babysit. I honestly don’t know if I’m going to see it. There are so many mixed opinions out there! I did enjoy the books though – pure brain candy!
Melissa recently posted..Body After Baby: 4 Months

18 Char February 24, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but this review made me laugh. And I totally would have loved to hear what those women in front of you were saying. The part about Jamie’s native accent coming through – thought that was hilarious. And now I will anxiously try to pick out scenes of that happening. I think I’ll see if when my friend gets into town after the weekend. Kind of sad, but it’s the highlight of her coming right now haha. I just want to see it and then see how it fairs to what others think 🙂
Char recently posted..How I Made It Through the Weekend